Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I have an odd affection for the Popeye's commercial that features people eating the infamous chicken sandwich, in which a woman says, "I'm experiencing some thangs right now." I find that hilarious and so cute. Under other circumstances, I might hate it, but for some reason, it cracks me up.

• Love 2

I think the woman in the Popeye's commercial is funny, too.  However, the one nitpick I have is that both she and the other African American man appear to be overweight, whereas the other people in the ad aren't.  I just hate that stereotype of overweight African Americans eating Popeye's chicken.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 4/9/2014 at 3:20 PM, Bastet said:

Was it FedEx or another delivery company that had the commercial many years ago with a French driver sitting in a cafe sneering about the "bourgeois businessmen waiting for their packages"?  Whatever company it was for, I loved it.  In my family, we will still adopt a bad French accent and use that line at random times.

It was a DHL commercial and I have been looking for it for years.  The way the driver spits out the word "packages" with disgust, then at the end his truck is towed away as packages fall out the back... this is the holy grail of super bowl commercials

1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

I really enjoyed these commercials back in the day! RIP Little Richard!!

Those were great. But the first two "family" dinner commercials are my favorite. They are just so a normal family. I love the moving a fork and "I helped" that so easily could have been my brother and me. 

• LOL 8
On 4/25/2020 at 9:02 PM, Kiki777 said:

There’s another ‘we’re here for you’ ad I like, from Comcast.  Mostly because there is this whistled tune in it from the 80s that’s so cheerful and catchy, but I can’t place it!  I think it’s a Bruce Springsteen song.  Anyone know it?

It's "Walk of Life" by Dire Straits, isn't it?

• Love 5
On 5/12/2020 at 6:36 PM, rubaco said:

It's "Walk of Life" by Dire Straits, isn't it?

OMG I You-tubed it and you are right!  (Why did I think it was Springsteen?  I’m from New Jersey and should know better lol)

17 hours ago, eyelash said:

Loving the Progressive Flo and the gang take on virtual meetings due to quarantine.  They nailed exactly what it's like and it cracks me up every time.

Disco snouts

Unpopular opinion:  I think Mara is hilarious.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I like the PSA for the Census, giving examples of who does and does not count as a member of the household for Census purposes -- it concludes with a kid saying his dog should count, but doesn't:

• Love 10
(edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 2:42 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I have been watching the Dr. Rick life coach for people who have become their parents after buying a home for Progressive and I find the commercials hilarious 

My favorite is the guy reading the book about submarines. The look on his face when he admits that's what his dad also reads is so cute! I also wish I could go out with my friends so I could pull out my phone and yell into it "I'm going to have a big lunch and then just a snack for dinner..."

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • LOL 7
9 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

My favorite is the guy reading the book about submarines. The look on his face when he admits that's what his dad also reads is so cute! I also wish I could go out with my friends so I could pull out my phone and yell into it "I'm going to have a big lunch and then just a snack for dinner..."

The part about too many pillows on the sofa gets me every time. I've visited people with so many pillows I had to just hold a couple of them awkwardly on my lap to be able to sit down, and they rarely offered an alternative. One time someone had an ottoman that opened up and that's where they were stored when company was over.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 8:51 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

My favorite is the guy reading the book about submarines. The look on his face when he admits that's what his dad also reads is so cute!

I love this guy too. I laugh every time I see the commercial.

• Love 4
On 5/29/2020 at 6:20 AM, Popples said:

The part about too many pillows on the sofa gets me every time. I've visited people with so many pillows I had to just hold a couple of them awkwardly on my lap to be able to sit down, and they rarely offered an alternative. One time someone had an ottoman that opened up and that's where they were stored when company was over.

I've never been in a house with too many pillows on the couch, but I've stayed in guest rooms whose floors I've had to litter with throw pillows in order to gain access to the bed.

• Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, janie jones said:

I've never been in a house with too many pillows on the couch, but I've stayed in guest rooms whose floors I've had to litter with throw pillows in order to gain access to the bed.

And then wonder if I should have paid attention or taken a picture, so that when I make the bed in the morning (or when I leave) they are in the same places. Was there a specific order to the pillows (or in some cases, stuffed animals)? Are they just going to strip the bed and wash everything and start again anyway? I worry about these things WAY too much..I always try to leave the room the way I found it, but never care take the time to pay attention to specific locations of frou-frou.

ETA: on topic: I love that commercial!

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

The reading submarine books cracks me up every time. I read those books in my teens. And I got into them from my dad. He loves military history the weapons, ships, planes and subs which he passed down to me and we passed it down to my nephew. I had no idea reading about subs was considered something that only old guys do. Have I been turning into an old guy since my teens? And apparently so is my nephew? 

I've been seen couches and beds that had so many pillows. My mom got into at one point when she decided to redecorate their bedroom and which did looked nice. But ended up being a pain to put on every time she made the bed and take them off at the end when going to bed or taking a nap. They ended up in a chair where they still remained. I tried off and on to convince her to get rid of them or donate them since they weren't being used. But nope. 

• LOL 3
20 hours ago, smittykins said:

I admit that I’ve spent entirely too much time wondering how Motaurs perform certain biological functions...😛

That's what the exhaust pipe is for...

• LOL 18
  • Love 2

I love the Target graduation commercial.  Just a high five to their associates who have walked.  The pictures of them as kids and then virtually graduating makes me smile everytime.  I even stop fast forwarding my DVR to watch.  

• Love 13
9 hours ago, bkathi said:

I love the Target graduation commercial.  Just a high five to their associates who have walked.  The pictures of them as kids and then virtually graduating makes me smile everytime.  I even stop fast forwarding my DVR to watch.  

I like that one a lot too! Anything that can make me smile is a winner.

• Love 4
On 5/23/2020 at 3:14 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I know these have been around for a while, but I need to express my undying love for the Chantix "slow turkey" commercials.   

YES!! I always look forward to seeing what he's up to during the current season - sightseeing, mowing his lawn - as he struggles to beat his addiction. Poor guy's having a hard time, but at least he's determined...

• Love 9
4 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

YES!! I always look forward to seeing what he's up to during the current season - sightseeing, mowing his lawn - as he struggles to beat his addiction. Poor guy's having a hard time, but at least he's determined...

I wonder how he's doing under quarantine?  Hope he doesn't relapse.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4

Another long-time favorite, especially these days, is Goldfish crackers...I just love seeing glimpses of their happy cheddary little world, with goldfish moms taking goldfish kids to the playground, and this season, all the goldfish residents of Goldfish Town cheering on the parade.

Is it wrong to wish I lived in Goldfish Town??

• Love 12
38 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Another long-time favorite, especially these days, is Goldfish crackers...I just love seeing glimpses of their happy cheddary little world, with goldfish moms taking goldfish kids to the playground, and this season, all the goldfish residents of Goldfish Town cheering on the parade.

Is it wrong to wish I lived in Goldfish Town??

Not at all. I want to go sledding with them and have hot chocolate after.

• Love 6

If I had unlimited funds, I would pay someone to do a complete simulation of one of the Chantix turkey commercials with a mountain lion bounding out of the bushes and carrying away that turkey already - the best part being the turkey's incredibly slow take as the lion runs toward him....Sorry, I actually enjoy these commercials but they seem so ripe for parody.

• LOL 2

I love this commercial!  I'm on the HOA where I live, and this commercial reminds me SO much of one of the women on it...EVERY meeting, without fail, she bitches about people not breaking down their cardboard.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

This commercial isn't a favorite, but it ranks high on the unintended comedy scale because we all know how this story ends.

The guy finds out that his payment is a lot less than the number he imagined when he multiplied his monthly payment by the months left. (Annuities don't work that way son.) Then he finds out Wentworth gets a cut. And then the taxman gets a cut. But he takes what he's got left and tries to find an apartment only to learn that he needs an actual job and a good credit score.

But hey, he's got some cash so he buys a Tesla and returns to his mother's basement. Broke, once again.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

It's amazing to me that apparently enough people have structured settlements that it's viable for even one company to exist to buy them out, much less advertise as incessantly as they do.    But then when you see all the personal injury attorney ads that run during the same time of day you see where they're coming from.   Having been home the past few months, I've learned that if you watch TV in the afternoon almost 90% of the ads have to do with suing someone and then selling out your settlement (which was meant to cover your medical issues for the horrible, debilitating injury your TV ambulance chaser convinced a jury you suffered) for peanuts. 

• Love 11
On 6/6/2020 at 5:23 AM, ByTor said:

I love this commercial!  I'm on the HOA where I live, and this commercial reminds me SO much of one of the women on it...EVERY meeting, without fail, she bitches about people not breaking down their cardboard.

The only way this commercial could've been improved is if she'd been named Karen instead of Cynthia.

• LOL 15
On 6/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, Maverick said:

It's amazing to me that apparently enough people have structured settlements that it's viable for even one company to exist to buy them out, much less advertise as incessantly as they do. 

If you remember the two girls switched at birth, and later one died of a heart condition, Kimberly Mays was the surviving girl.   She got a huge settlement that was going to be paid at certain intervals.     She sold the annuity rights to one of those buyout firms, and won't collect any more annuity until she's 70 years old (or around there).   She sold it for a lump sum, and then spent every penny from what I've read.    That Wentworth one is so funny, but I'm sure unintentionally on their part. 

The Geico commercial where they show the baby on the Roomba, and the Beagle on the giant ball getting a treat is so cute.  

• Love 2

I love the ad where the bridesmaid is horrified at the bright yellow monstrosity she's going to have to wear at the wedding, then has to console the bride who wails "You hate it."  "Oh, no, no, no," as she hugs her.  It always makes me laugh.

• LOL 1