Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

Progressive's new one with the Empty Apron is not only quite touching but FAR more entertaining (and cheaper to produce) than ANY of them that had Flo fill said apron. Keep that in mind, folks! 

• Love 5
On 4/19/2020 at 12:58 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

There actually is a difference between a cellar and a basement.  A basement is structurally part of the house, is built all or in part as the underground portion of the foundation.  They usually have a cement floor and can be made habitable.  A cellar is a hole dug under the house, not part of the foundation, and usually with a dirt floor.  Mostly used only for storage and tended to be cool for storing roots, bulbs, canned goods, wine, at an even cool temperature.  They are rarely built in order to be made habitable, e.g. plumbing, heating, drywall, etc.

I’ll take “useless information that nobody cares about for $400 Alex.”

Or they could live in a part of the US populated by German immigrants - the German word Keller means basement or cellar.  German Kellers can be quite nice and frequently used for bars like the one in Inglorious Bastards.

I'll take "didactic foreign language fun facts for $600,"  Alex.

• Useful 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Even though I'm getting really tired of the "we're all in this together" PSA ads, I do love the one Dove has created, showing the faces of healthcare workers, exhausted, blotchy, with marks from their masks showing on their skin, and the caption "Courage is Beautiful".  Dang, I'm getting misty-eyed just typing this.  My gratitude to the front-line workers in health care and all the other essential businesses is more than I can put into words.

Well done, Dove.  I have always liked your soap products and I LOVE this ad.

• Love 22
On 4/21/2020 at 8:03 PM, mousegirl said:

Even though I'm getting really tired of the "we're all in this together" PSA ads, I do love the one Dove has created, showing the faces of healthcare workers, exhausted, blotchy, with marks from their masks showing on their skin, and the caption "Courage is Beautiful".  Dang, I'm getting misty-eyed just typing this.  My gratitude to the front-line workers in health care and all the other essential businesses is more than I can put into words.

I like that commercial, too. I'd love to see a Behind The Scenes featurette on how that ad was made. Recruiting the HCP, how they set up filming after everyone's work shifts, etc. 

• Love 4
On 4/22/2020 at 1:42 PM, proserpina65 said:

I use it for French fries, and as an ingredient in a couple of recipes, but otherwise, yea, verily.

Oh, see, I think fried potatoes (in ANY form) are also an abomination 😉

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

I don't know why, but the commercial Ice-T does for Car Shield car warranty makes me laugh every time. There's something about the way he says, "Listen to your boy, Ice-T, and let Car Shield save you from expensive repairs. You're welcome" that I find hilarious. It's like he's so put out that he has to explain this to dumb shits.

Similarly, I'm amused by the William Shatner commercial for some CPAP machine cleaner thing where he says, "I don't know if you know this, but several years ago, I was diagnosed with a sleep disorder." I mean, why would I know that? It's not like I have a Google alert for the medical problems of aging actors.

Re: ketchup. I'm a yes. Once I was having breakfast with someone who has issues with condiments (lord, he was annoying about condiments) and when the hash browns came, I said, "just so you know, I really like ketchup." The waitress had already walked away, but she overheard me and even though we had a full bottle of ketchup on the table, she called back, "should I bring another bottle?" which was cute and earned her a big tip.

• LOL 13
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

I don't know why, but the commercial Ice-T does for Car Shield car warranty makes me laugh every time. There's something about the way he says, "Listen to your boy, Ice-T, and let Car Shield save you from expensive repairs. You're welcome" that I find hilarious. It's like he's so put out that he has to explain this to dumb shits.

Similarly, I'm amused by the William Shatner commercial for some CPAP machine cleaner thing where he says, "I don't know if you know this, but several years ago, I was diagnosed with a sleep disorder." I mean, why would I know that? It's not like I have a Google alert for the medical problems of aging actors.

Re: ketchup. I'm a yes. Once I was having breakfast with someone who has issues with condiments (lord, he was annoying about condiments) and when the hash browns came, I said, "just so you know, I really like ketchup." The waitress had already walked away, but she overheard me and even though we had a full bottle of ketchup on the table, she called back, "should I bring another bottle?" which was cute and earned her a big tip.

I love ketchup on hash browns. To paraphrase John Travolta, I drown them in that shit.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Well, after the first time, I guess you do know... 🙂

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, after the first time, I guess you do know... 🙂

See also my post in the Commercials that irritate thread.

Ahem.  I do enjoy the current one running for Heartguard with all the dogs "hiding" from mosquitoes -- the Weimeraner "disguised" as a stone dog, the Shar-Pei next to some folded brown towels, the Komondor as a mop...  Cracks me up every time.

• Love 13

I love that ad too - and Dove Shower foam saved my skin.  I was in an accident a couple years ago that damaged my hand.  It’s fine now, but at the time I wasn’t able to hold a bar of soap or even a mesh sponge.  Dove Shower foam was easy to dispense, super light and didn’t need to be rubbed around too much.  Also very moisturizing so I didn’t need lotion 👍💕🌈

There’s another ‘we’re here for you’ ad I like, from Comcast.  Mostly because there is this whistled tune in it from the 80s that’s so cheerful and catchy, but I can’t place it!  I think it’s a Bruce Springsteen song.  Anyone know it?

• Love 4

Just when I was really missing my dad, the "Dr Rick"/Progressive/ Turning into your parents? ad hit the airwaves.

Re: the plumber --

"You're not assisting him.  You hired him."

It's so my late father, I burst into giggle-tears.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Just when I was really missing my dad, the "Dr Rick"/Progressive/ Turning into your parents? ad hit the airwaves.

I laughed at that one too. It also informed me that reading about subs is only what your dad reads. Apparently I've been turning into my dad since my early teens.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I love this Spectrum "Human Sacrifice" ad. The actors are great, the script is hilarious, and the production values are so good. It's hard to choose the best line, I'm torn between "Well, everybody walked all the way up here, so..."  "Get on with it!" "In you go" and "I'm a people person." Skip the part at the end where DeGeneres starts talking. 

This is a commercial that I actually like to see.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZuPA/spectrum-mobile-better-way-volcano-featuring-ellen-degeneres#

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, voiceover said:

It's my dad, too.  He hired a plumber a few months back, and I felt bad for the plumber because no one likes to be watched and questioned while they're working.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It's already been posted, but it bears seeing again.

Somebody in the comments said that the guitarist should have crashed through the ceiling and done his solo on the kitchen table while the homeowners were eating. 😄

Totally.

• Love 4

Ashforth, I don't know how to block quote you, but I wanted to chime in and say I love the "Human Sacrifice" Spectrum ad too!  The actor who says "get on with it" sounds just like Eric Idle from the Monty Python gang, and the whole commercial reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, one of my all-time favorite movies. 

Very well done, Spectrum! 

Edited by mousegirl
  • Love 5

Even better, according to Dove's Twitter feed, they're donating  products to various hospitals and HCWs nationwide.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

It's not really a favorite, but I saw a Clorox commercial that made me rewind a couple of times. It showed a mom doing laundry, but she was sort of squeezed into a corner with the washer and dryer in front of her, a water heater to the side, and some sort of door (garage?) pretty close behind her. In other words, she wasn't standing in her palatial all-white laundry room with multiple windows and gleaming appliances sitting on pedestals.  

And then at the end, they showed the family on sort of a basic looking leather couch in a gray room that looked nice but not "TV COMMERCIAL" nice. 

I love when commercials acknowledge that not everyone is living in a huge home or in one decorated to the nines.  Or in one that is all white!

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 15
On 4/22/2020 at 3:32 PM, peacheslatour said:
On 4/22/2020 at 1:42 PM, proserpina65 said:

I use it for French fries, and as an ingredient in a couple of recipes, but otherwise, yea, verily.

Amen.

You guys!!!!  Try some Heinze Ketchup with a big, greasy bacon cheeseburger (onions and pickles are must haves, fries are optional) and it's like you've gone to Heaven on a cloud, lol.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

You guys!!!!  Try some Heinze Ketchup with a big, greasy bacon cheeseburger (onions and pickles are must haves, fries are optional) and it's like you've gone to Heaven on a cloud, lol.

Ketchup on a burger?  Blasphemer!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 4/25/2020 at 5:17 PM, fishcakes said:

The Ice-T commercial is better than the one with the couple in matching suspenders - the woman looks like she smelled a really bad fart.

The SoClean ad makes me cringe.  As a CPAP user, I was never told that I had to clean the machine every day.  Neither was my husband, or my dad.  Once a week.  The SoClean really isn't necessary.

I hate Ketchup, and only use it in cooking, and occasionally coupled with mustard if I order a burger and get it home, and find that they didn't listen and put mayo on it.  I scrape off as much as I can, then drown it in other condiments.

7 hours ago, funky-rat said:

The SoClean ad makes me cringe.  As a CPAP user, I was never told that I had to clean the machine every day.  Neither was my husband, or my dad.  Once a week.  The SoClean really isn't necessary.

It really annoys me when the guy calls it So-Cuhlean.

I know most people hate Flo and Progressive commercials but I laughed at the two new ones with the gang doing a zoom meeting.  Camera issues, forgetting to mute, outside noises... yeah, we've all seen that.

• Love 12
(edited)

The Allstate commercials have bugged me a bit for a while, but does anyone else love the "safe drivers save 40%" spot? Dennis Haysbert probably gets that a lot in real life.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Haleth said:

I know most people hate Flo and Progressive commercials but I laughed at the two new ones with the gang doing a zoom meeting.  Camera issues, forgetting to mute, outside noises... yeah, we've all seen that.

I haven’t seen that ad yet, but I gotta say I enjoy Flo, she’s a straight-up weirdo and makes me laugh.  

• Love 20
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I haven’t seen that ad yet, but I gotta say I enjoy Flo, she’s a straight-up weirdo and makes me laugh.  

I haven't seen it yet either, but I am also a fan of Flo. 

Sprinkles are for winners.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Saw this one today for the first time. It's silly, but hilarious.

"She wants to know if you brought condoms, Charlie."

That reminds me of one of my favorite Golden Girls scenesgolden girls condom GIF

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Saw this one today for the first time. It's silly, but hilarious.

"She wants to know if you brought condoms, Charlie."

It's been regular rotation on some channels I watch for at least 2 weeks. It still makes me laugh, but after 20 or more times I'm starting to over think it. Why would you try to whisper this across a large kitchen island? Are there no stores in her parents town that sell condoms? And I never dreamed of having sex when I visited my parents.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That reminds me of one of my favorite Golden Girls scenesgolden girls condom GIF

“Calm down, lady!  Did you just get out of prison or something?”

• LOL 15
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Why would you try to whisper this across a large kitchen island?

Yeah, that's the silly part, it's ridiculous that she would ask him t that time and from that distance. If she was headed out to the store to get something for her mom and he was standing closer to her mom helping her cook or something, it would make more sense. It's still funny, though. The Dad's delivery is perfect.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

It's still funny, though. The Dad's delivery is perfect.

As is the part at the end where they’re going to bed and dad takes his hearing aids out. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Love the Geico Bigfoot/Daryl commercial. 

Ha ha! My boss's name is Darryl and since the hair salons have shut down, his hair is getting a bit shaggy. I keep telling him he's going to end up looking like a Sasquatch.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Oh, I was just coming to post that Freshpet ad- I saw it for the first time last night and it just made me melt! That last shot with the woman in bed, cuddling with her happy doggie; so adorable.

• Love 7