Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This is kind of sick but I can't help loving it:

Just the voice of the mouse saying "Judy?" cracks me up Every. Time.

Leaving out the gruesome reality of death by poison (which I can do, because I'm a terrible person), this ad is hilarious. I agree about "Judy?" being a great delivery of a line. It sounds like chef Carla Hall, which is part of what makes the lead-in of "everyone thinks I made these snacks" even funnier. 

• Love 6

It's hard to know how to get rid of rats and mice in a nice way.

When I was a kid, there was a mouse that lived behind the fridge.  It got so bold that it came out during dinner time looking for crumbs that fell on the floor and only ran for safety when someone got too close.  Mom put a snap trap in front of the place where the mouse always appeared but unfortunately it didn't take the bait right away.  It was the night when one of my aunts was over for dinner when shit came down.  Auntie saw the mousetrap.  Mom explained about the mouse.  Auntie was extremely clean and hated mice or insects in the house, but it turned out she also hated to see them get killed.  So during dinner, she positioned herself nearest to the fridge and when the mouse appeared, she'd jump up and shoo it away.  This happened a couple of times, and Auntie had to get closer each time before the mouse would run away.  Finally, the mouse appeared again.  I guess it decided that it should take the nearest source of food before the annoying human got too close.  Snap!  Right in front of Auntie, the mouse met its sudden demise.  Auntie was pretty upset.  She was even more horrified when Mom carried the trap outside to dump the body out for the cats to fight over.

We had a more humane method (or it seemed so at the time) for dealing with mice on the back porch or the barn.  Put out a 5 gallon bucket and put something smelly in it, set it near something that allowed the mice to climb up and jump in the bucket.  They could get to the food, but not get back out again.  Next morning, one of us kids would take it across the road to the field and let them go.  It was weird to carry a bucket with a dozen mice jumping around and trying to climb out.  But put the bucket down and tip it facing away from the road and they'd run away.  Not sure how many survived, because they were suddenly in a new place, and a human was behind them shouting and stomping around to keep them running in the right direction.  Factor in the barn cats learning early on to follow me across the road for a chance to catch a nice fat mouse that was disoriented and trying to hide behind the nearest blade of grass.  But the mice had a chance.

• Love 4
On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 11:56 AM, janie jones said:

mean, literally the only person I know who is interested enough in naval history to have books on it is my dad,

Well, you know me, through the internet anyway.  Although all but one of my naval history books are about the British Navy in the Napoleonic era.  The other one IS sort of about submarines, though. ;-)  (Shadow Divers)

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 11:03 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I like the commercial where the man is dancing around in his regular shirt, but boxers, and then the video feed comes back, and the lady tells him they can see him.     

And the other man who is sitting down, but the camera is lower so you can see his bare thighs.    I don't know who the actor is, but I've seen him in something else, and it's driving me bonkers since I can't remember what else I saw him in. 

Yeah, I like those as well.

• Love 1
On 7/12/2020 at 4:48 AM, Kiki777 said:

Right?? It’s like a horrible tease.  There is no Popeye’s here so stop telling me about your infamous chicken sandwich!

(I did however just do a location search and there are 2 Sonics within a 10 mile radius - woohoo!)

Popeyes infamous Chicken is okay per my husband but he mistakenly got the spicy chicken sandwich and his eyes were watery

On 9/9/2020 at 1:32 PM, proserpina65 said:

Well, you know me, through the internet anyway.  Although all but one of my naval history books are about the British Navy in the Napoleonic era.  The other one IS sort of about submarines, though. 😉 (Shadow Divers)

Yeah, I like those as well.

Okay so two people. 😃 But I mean, are you closer in age to my dad or me? Because if you're closer in age to my dad (in his 70s), then you're one of the "parents" the commercial has us afraid we'll turn into, and the commercial's point still stands!

Edited by janie jones
42 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Okay so two people. 😃 But I mean, are you closer in age to my dad or me? Because if you're closer in age to my dad (in his 70s), then you're one of the "parents" the commercial has us afraid we'll turn into, and the commercial's point still stands!

I don't know how old you are, but I've still got a ways to go to reach 70.  And I've been interested in nautical history for at least 20 years, maybe more.

I DO have extra pillows on my bed, though, so . . .

18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

BBT Bankd & Suntrust have merged, creating Truist Bank. I'm enjoying this ad...

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ni6r/truist-financial-help-from-my-friends-song-by-joe-cocker

That is a really sweet commercial, although the first time I saw it, I was worried that the dog was homeless.  Then I realized he had a collar, and was just visiting friends for treats.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't know how old you are, but I've still got a ways to go to reach 70.  And I've been interested in nautical history for at least 20 years, maybe more.

Then you've already turned into your parents! Get that insurance, stat!

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Steph Sometimes said:

I really like the Postmates commercials where they subliminally insert images/voiceover of different foods during what looks like a typical car or medicine commercial.

They don't work in the sense of making me use Postmates, which I don't/won't do, or even directly order or make the food, but they do make me hungry for pad Thai, fried chicken, or a burger (the ones I've seen).  I've only seen them in the wee hours while streaming something on Pluto; maybe if I come across one on TV while deciding what to make for dinner, that will influence what I cook - they really do put the particular food in your mind!

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't know WTH Postmates is and the commercials are no help.

They're a third-party delivery service (from select grocery stores, restaurants, convenience stores, etc.).  Mostly restaurants, which is why the commercials focus on food, I assume - if you get a craving for fried chicken, and want it from a place that doesn't offer delivery but don't want to go pick it up yourself, you can have someone do it for you through Postmates.  (I don't recommend it; these services are bad for restaurants, as has finally gotten some attention during the pandemic when use is up so much.)

The one time I've used it was at a friend's house; our favorite Japanese restaurant no longer offers delivery (this was before the pandemic) but you can get delivery through Postmates.  It was after midnight and we were really set on that food, but couldn't drive (movie night involves a fair bit of booze) so she downloaded the app, and some guy who must have been even more drunk than we were brought it to us -- she could track him on her smartphone, and he basically went in circles several times on the two-mile journey.  Maybe he didn't live in her neighborhood, and just happened to be there when he got the bat signal and accepted the gig, but he obviously has GPS (thus her being able to track him; I find this all so creepy), and it's a very simple route from restaurant to house.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
On 9/1/2020 at 8:36 PM, tres bien said:

Just last month we got an LG fridge.  It made regular ice as well as the ice balls. 

After a few days we turned off  the fancy ice ball feature.  We just didn't get it. They don't come out of the fridge door  but into a container in the freezer and besides they're huge!

On 9/4/2020 at 3:45 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Ice balls are meant for cocktails.  They don't melt as quickly as smaller cubes so your drink doesn't get watered down as fast. They are a trend at high end bars where you'll often see a rocks glass with one huge, round ice ball in it.

Just a bit of ice ball trivia for you:  Queen Elizabeth insists upon ice balls rather than ice cubes because ice balls make less noise when they clink together due to the minimal surface area that touches.  She doesn't like a noisy drink!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I love, love, love the Tyson Chicken ads with the "Family" song!  The music really does makes me want to "take off my shoes and dance".  Also, some of the pictures shown remind me so much of my own family photos when I was growing up in the 1950's and 60's.  I often rewind the commercial so I can see and hear it again.   The ONLY other commercial I have ever done that with was the lovely New York Life agape love commercial which I never see anymore.  

Edited by mousegirl
  • Love 1
On 8/14/2020 at 10:30 AM, icemiser69 said:

Even though green M&M's are supposed to make people horny, the yellow M&M is still my favorite, and it isn't close.

As a television character, the yellow M&M is the most adorable.

Licorice is supposed to make people horny.  It makes me nauseous.

Which came first - the chicken or the egg?  The green jelly bean tale of making one horny is really a cause and effect situation.  It's not that the green ones make you horny.  The actuality is that they are the relief!  The legend has it as follows:  Canadian loggers worked far from home through long, cold, and tough winters to harvest their lumber supply.  In the Spring, they'd float the logs down river to the sawmills.  At that point, they were done with their assignment and would return home after many months away.  Naturally, they were quite horny.  However, they'd arrive home to find that their brood of annual children* wanted Dad to play and spend his time with them.  The solution?  Dad would arrive home with a large bag of green jelly beans which he would throw by handfuls into the springtime grass to keep the kiddos busy while Mom and Dad "renewed their acquaintance"...a win-win situation for all.

*Generally, each year would add another child created during the summer heat and emerging around Feb/March/April.

Note:  I live in a town settled and primarily inhabited by French Canadian families  This is the story they have told for decades.  LOL

• Useful 3
  • LOL 8
14 hours ago, Tunia said:

Just a bit of ice ball trivia for you:  Queen Elizabeth insists upon ice balls rather than ice cubes because ice balls make less noise when they clink together due to the minimal surface area that touches.  She doesn't like a noisy drink!

One last ice ball comment.

The craft ice setting makes three or six balls (depending on which option you chose) every 30 hours.  Plan ahead! And my 12 oz water glasses hold 2 at a time.  

• Love 1
On 8/19/2020 at 11:01 AM, chessiegal said:

It's for Peyronie's Disease. I'd never heard of it before the ads, and now that I know, the men who suffer from it have my sympathy.

It's their wives/partners/girlfriends I have sympathy for.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm amused by Geico "We have aunts" because in 1970, I had a suitcase like Aunt Joanie's...

Just saw this one the other and it made me laugh out loud. Those aunts are indeed a pestilence- but only in the best way because they only say those things for your own good 😁

And "Auntie" Prevailing Wind you are rocking that look and your groovy suitcases.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

Just saw this one the other and it made me laugh out loud. Those aunts are indeed a pestilence- but only in the best way because they only say those things for your own good 😁

And "Auntie" Prevailing Wind you are rocking that look and your groovy suitcases.

Thanks! That's back when I was anorexic before they knew that was a "thing."  I loved that tie-dyed dress.  I sewed it myself & dyed the pieces before I put them together.  And I did, indeed, have an Aunt Joanie.  LOL.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, elle said:

Patrick Stewart and Mark Hamill go head-to-head in food delivery commercial

Just saw the first one with the tomato/tamato baseball vs. cricket bat stand off.   I was thinking I could watch a series with these two and happily found out there are more commercials according to the article.  Don’t plan to use the product but many thanks to them for bringing these greats together!

Dammit, you beat me to it! I was rolling. But I’ll drop the link as an embed.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
On 8/13/2020 at 11:08 PM, QuinnInND said:

Yeesh. I had no idea they were that expensive! 

The same Kohler Walk-In tub commercial I posted about last month (August) is now also offering a free bidet seat (I think they also offered a free toilet at 1 time) & $1,000.00 off the price of the tub (both at the end of the commercial, as of either Thursday or yesterday; I usually see the ad during the 2-hour block of Emergency! repeats on COZI-TV—1 of those all repeats of old shows networks that are usually carried as a digital subchannel of your local CBS, ABC, NBC or Fox affiliate—between Noon & 2PM Eastern).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix punctuation issues.
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

The same Kohler Walk-In tub commercial I posted about last month (August) is now also offering a free bidet seat (I think they also offered a free toilet at 1 time) & $1,000.00 off the price of the tub (both at the end of the commercial, as of either Thursday or yesterday; I usually see the ad during the 2-hour block of Emergency! repeats on COZI-TV—1 of those all repeats of old shows networks that are usually carried as a digital subchannel of your local CBS, ABC, NBC or Fox affiliate—between Noon & 2PM Eastern).

I would love to have a bidet. Not an option, since I live in an apartment.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yay - it's that time of year, and the Halloween-themed Geico commercials are back in rotation.  I don't care for the Casper one, but I like the one with the creepy attic, and they could air the horror movie spoof for the rest of my life and I'd never get sick of it. 

"Why can't we just get in the running car?" is all it needs to be great, but then the killer's eye roll makes it art.  And they still top it off with, "Head for the cemetery!"  It's perfect.

I love that one!

• Love 4