Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

While the scenario of a 3 am phone may be farfetched, the point of the commercial is that State Farm offers customer assistance 24/7.

Yesterday I wanted to cancel a boat insurance policy with Geico Marine. I tried to do it online with no success, so called their customer service number. It wasn't 3 am, but it could have been. Mission accomplished.

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you guys sell your boat?

31 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you guys sell your boat?

We sold the boat in October. I got an email saying the insurance was due by Feb 15th. My husband forgot to cancel the insurance on it. Not sure why online didn't work (kept telling me it didn't find my policy number), but the agent I talked to was very nice and he had no problem finding the policy..

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

We sold the boat in October. I got an email saying the insurance was due by Feb 15th. My husband forgot to cancel the insurance on it. Not sure why online didn't work (kept telling me it didn't find my policy number), but the agent I talked to was very nice and he had no problem finding the policy..

I've had that happen too. It's the damndest thing.

12 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I loved the commercial but it was a huge fail if the goal was to convince me to buy the product!

Which, in itself is WHY, I like that Alexa commercial. Oh  and it was very imaginatively produced and acted. 

• Love 1

I'd like that Alexa ad a lot more if it didn't show people in their fifties wondering what people did before the new technology that came out like five years ago.  Even changing it to something like "I can't remember what we did before Alexa!" would have been a better line than "What do you think people did..."  You're the people, Ellen.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'd like that Alexa ad a lot more if it didn't show people in their fifties wondering what people did before the new technology that came out like five years ago.  Even changing it to something like "I can't remember what we did before Alexa!" would have been a better line than "What do you think people did..."  You're the people, Ellen.

Yeah, neither of them are under seven-years-old. Do Miss DeGeneres and Miss De Rossi want folks to think  their  memories are shot? Yeah, get a high tech doo-dad that answers all your questions, plays music and adjusts your thermostat then watch your short-term memory go down the tubes!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7

I keep meaning to say how much I like the John Lithgow Progresso soup commercials. I think they're just lovely. I'm not a fan of the blubbery noodles in their soup but he almost makes me want to have some.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
On 2/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, janie jones said:

I saw a new Alexa commercial yesterday that didn't have Ellen and Portia, but was probably leftover footage (or at least concept) from their commercial.  It had an ancient Egyptian asking the Alexa stand in to add something to his grocery list -- in hieroglyphics.  It was pretty funny.

• Love 3
On 2/2/2020 at 7:33 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Chances Emily Blunt would've married him if he actually talked like that: Zero.

Some people are really really into the Boston accent, so you never know.

All three actors grew up in the Boston area, so some or all of them may have talked like that originally.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I saw a new Alexa commercial yesterday that didn't have Ellen and Portia, but was probably leftover footage (or at least concept) from their commercial.  It had an ancient Egyptian asking the Alexa stand in to add something to his grocery list -- in hieroglyphics.  It was pretty funny.

Ah, the irony! It's likely that WE currently know more about Ancient Egyptians' likes, dislikes, habits and lifestyles thank to them recording them on stone and papyrus than future generations will know about what made us tick via our current social media. 

• Love 4
On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 8:41 PM, peacheslatour said:

I've had that happen too. It's the damndest thing.

I had it happen when I cancelled Norton on my old computer.  They claimed I'd never cancelled, and it cost me the refund for half a year.  I will always call from now on.

It's too early for me to go searching, but I'm putting this here. I miss the commercials from my childhood--yes, the ones for over the counter medications, like NyQuil. I mean, there was one, a couple is in bed; the wife is sleeping, and the husband, who is sick, is asking her if she's awake, and clearly she wasn't, but she says "I am now." Poor guy is sick. She gets him NyQuil. He falls asleep like a baby. I love it because it's so natural and realistic.  And it's the last line that always makes me crack up:

"I'm glad one of us can sleep" while she plays Solitaire, I think.

And I miss seeing the Snickers commercial, where people are acting like divas, but it's Aretha Franklin, and Dan Trejo . Or where it's Betty White and Abe Vigoda playing football. The one with Trejo is a spoof on The Brady Bunch, and once he bites into the Snickers, he turns into Marcia Brady.

• Love 9

My favorite ads lately have been the google ad from the super bowl about ways to remember and the Hershey bar ad with the 94? year old gentleman that walks and hands out Hershey bars to spread a little happiness. I just want to give him a hug and have a long conversation with him, what a sweetie pie.

• Love 8
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 10:52 AM, Yeah No said:

Speaking of dancing in commercials, this new one from Mass Mutual is one of my current favorites:

I hate that one, but then again, I hate people who choreograph elaborate dance routines for their weddings and other special events.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

A new Chantix Cold Turkey commercial is out.

The turkey is wearing a winter hat, coat, scarf, snow goggles, and mittens.  He gets into a snowball fight with another turkey, later brings firewood into the house, pulls his chair next to the warm and toasty fireplace and grabs a book off of the bookshelf to read.

What I like about these ads is that it shows smokers that there are things you can do without smoking -- your day will be filled, time will pass.  One of the things I fretted about as a smoker was "What am I gonna do with all that free time if I don't smoke?" 

What's weird is that when I see the cigarettes in the trash bins, the smell comes back. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

What I like about these ads is that it shows smokers that there are things you can do without smoking -- your day will be filled, time will pass.  One of the things I fretted about as a smoker was "What am I gonna do with all that free time if I don't smoke?" 

What's weird is that when I see the cigarettes in the trash bins, the smell comes back.

As a nonsmoker, I've always liked this joke some standup comedian told years and years ago.  The gist of the joke was that the cool thing about smoking is that you always have something to do, like if you're waiting outside for someone, you don't need to just stand there awkwardly.  (Of course, the joke doesn't work now that smartphones exist, but 1990s me thought it was funny because it was true.)

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I just wish the Chantix turkey could tell me how I can extract myself from an akward situation now that i am not smoking.  "Oh, the conversation has turned to politics, sure sounds like a good time to step outside for a smoke."

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I just wish the Chantix turkey could tell me how I can extract myself from an akward situation now that i am not smoking.  "Oh, the conversation has turned to politics, sure sounds like a good time to step outside for a smoke."

IBD. Run to the loo!

• Love 6

I love the Chantrix turkey.  He's so chill.  It's cute and funny.  No yelling or hitting you over the head with their product.  

Love the raccoons in the Geico ads.  I liked the first one - rummaging through the garbage, and it's something even the raccoon didn't want to eat.  Then they've hijacked the freaking garbage truck - wait there's half a cheesesteak back there!  The food stand is ok, but they're still funnier than a good majority of ads for me.

The woodchucks ads always take me by surprise.  They're an ok.  There's only so many places you can go with chucking wood.

• Love 13
On ‎02‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:36 PM, hoosier80 said:

The woodchucks ads always take me by surprise.  They're an ok.  There's only so many places you can go with chucking wood.

The one with the commercial for the lumber store is seriously funny to me, because it looks so much like a real local commercial.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

The one with the commercial for the lumber store is seriously funny to me, because it looks so much like a real local commercial.

I thought it was the first time I saw it. Right up until the woodchucks started chucking the wood.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I thought it was the first time I saw it. Right up until the woodchucks started chucking the wood.

It got me until I noticed the highway exit number on the bottom of the screen; it doesn't match up with any around where I live.

• Love 2

Ditto for the woodchuck coffee commercial. When I first saw it, I thought Folger's had changed their theme song or something. Then the woodchucks happened and I laughed my ass off.

• Love 10

I love the NY Life commercial that talks about the four words the Greeks had for love - philia, storge, eros and agape, and describes their meaning.  I knew all of them except storge, so I was happy to learn something from the commercial, and I love how they show that agape has the highest meaning because it refers to the love we demonstrate when we serve others.  Also the commercial is quiet and not at all silly or in your face.  I get a little misty every time it's shown.  Good work NYL. 

• Love 7
On 2/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't care how...stereotypical this is, but it always makes me laugh...

The Polaner All Fruit...

"Don't DARE call it Jelly." 

Me: 😂

My husband and I  can still crack each other up by saying  "Please pay-uss thuh jay-ull-ee."

• LOL 7

Kraft Dinner isn't a product I tend to buy but the new commercial for it with Steven Page cracks me up every time.  Which is good because, as is typical with commercials at least on the channels I watch they endlessly play the same damn commercial over and over and over....

I pretty much only watch Hulu and the Roku Channel, so my exposure to commercials is limited to the ones they show again and again and AGAIN. But there's a cute one I haven't seen in a month or so. It's for the purple mattress, and it's a young couple The guy says, "Our doctor recently turned us on to something great. It's called sleep." The woman says "It's like being awake, only better." For some reason, I get a small chuckle every time I see this, because of the wry delivery of the lines. The rest of the purple mattress ads, you can have.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peggy06 said:

But there's a cute one I haven't seen in a month or so. It's for the purple mattress, and it's a young couple The guy says, "Our doctor recently turned us on to something great. It's called sleep." The woman says "It's like being awake, only better." For some reason, I get a small chuckle every time I see this, because of the wry delivery of the lines. The rest of the purple mattress ads, you can have.

If it's the commercial I'm thinking of, the actors were on Studio C (sketch comedy show on BYUtv that has had a number of sketches go viral over the years--Worst Teacher Ever is one with that same actress).

7 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I love seeing George Wendt (NORM!) in this Dominos commercial, even if it's only briefly.  He looks pretty much the same as he did on Cheers.  

That's  because they used footage of him from Cheers in the commercial.

How Domino’s Digitally Blended Itself With Cheers for Its New Ad

Created by CPB, the ad was brought to life through several production partnerships, including with New York visual effects house Artjail.

The team watched all 275 episodes of Cheers to find the perfect footage of Norm entering and approaching the bar. But then he had to be isolated from the footage and melded with a body double to pull off the effect of him ordering a pizza at a Domino’s counter.

The Cheers-esque Domino’s location was, of course, created specifically for the ad by CPB and production house Arts & Sciences. The goal was to have an entryway that was reminiscent of the show’s location while also making the ordering experience look like a modern Domino’s.

• Useful 3