Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I really miss the commercials from the late 70s and 80s. Like this particular gem: I don't care how dated it is, but I always laughed my ass off at the Fruit of the Looms commercials couched as a runway/pageant show,  set in "Russia" or were they the "U.S.S.R." back then?

"Eeees next...dayvear..."

"Eees next...eveeeeningvear..."

and you have the women dressed in the same gray, shapeless smocks and head kerchiefs, holding a ....beach ball? as they trotted up and down the "runway." 

And since I'm a tecnhoturd, I can't find it on youtube or online. It sounds stupid, and I think I remember that's what the lines were, but it was funny to my tween self.

• Love 8

You probably can't find it because it was a commercial for Wendy's, not Fruit of the Loom.  The concept was that other fast food places (i.e. McDonald's) pre-made their food and so everyone had to eat the same thing prepared the same way--much like those in Communist countries had little to no choice in what they could buy.  Wendy's always touted they made your burger the way you wanted when you ordered.   Today, they all operate the same way.  The burgers are pre-cooked and assembled to order. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, Maverick said:

You probably can't find it because it was a commercial for Wendy's, not Fruit of the Loom.  The concept was that other fast food places (i.e. McDonald's) pre-made their food and so everyone had to eat the same thing prepared the same way--much like those in Communist countries had little to no choice in what they could buy.  Wendy's always touted they made your burger the way you wanted when you ordered.   Today, they all operate the same way.  The burgers are pre-cooked and assembled to order. 

Well, don't I feel like a maroon. I could have sworn it was for Fruit of the Looms!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I didn’t notice the beach ball, either.

ETA:  I can’t find it on YouTube, but there’s currently a Volkswagen ad that pays homage to the classic “Snowplow” commercial, except “snowplow” is replaced with “motorcade.”  I think they should have gone all the way and said “So you can stop wondering.”

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 2

New (at least to me) 'sequel/mashup' Geico ad purporting to be romantic coffee ad featuring a couple waking up in a cabin and getting up with their coffee cups to look out over the lake, only to have the woodchucks show up-chuckin' wood!

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

New (at least to me) 'sequel/mashup' Geico ad purporting to be romantic coffee ad featuring a couple waking up in a cabin and getting up with their coffee cups to look out over the lake, only to have the woodchucks show up-chuckin' wood!

I love that one and the one with the "commercial" for Lonnie's Lumber looking just like a commercial for a lumber business until you see wood being chucked and yep its the wood chucks.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I saw that commercial for the first time yesterday and I told my husband it looked like something you'd see on SNL.  Then it got to the end, and we were like, "Oh, that's why."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

OK, I'm Bahstonian by marriage and the new Hyundai "Smaht Pahk" spot just cracks us up.  It's due to run during the Super Bowl.

<iframe width="1029" height="579" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/85iRQdjCzj0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just now, spiderpig said:

OK, I'm Bahstonian by marriage and the new Hyundai "Smaht Pahk" spot just cracks us up.  It's due to run during the Super Bowl.

• LOL 5
13 hours ago, spiderpig said:

OK, I'm Bahstonian by marriage and the new Hyundai "Smaht Pahk" spot just cracks us up. 

Also a Bostonian cracking the heck up at this commercial. I’ve watched it an embarrassing number of times in the last 24 hours alone.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Dani-Ellie said:

Also a Bostonian cracking the heck up at this commercial. I’ve watched it an embarrassing number of times in the last 24 hours alone.

The first time you saw it, did you do a doubletake when Big Papi stuck his head out the window?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

The first time you saw it, did you do a doubletake when Big Papi stuck his head out the window?

A little bit, yeah! I was also marveling at how absolutely perfect the "hey, how ah ya?" "Hey, good, how ah you?" in the beginning was.

10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The CEO of WeatherTech car accessories company has a dog named Scout.

Two years ago, I was down at the IMSA sports car races in Sebring, FL - WeatherTech is a big sponsor of the series and a couple of cars. I saw a dog sitting in the WeatherTech car in the garage area before the race - I didn't know who it was at the time, but it looks like it probably was Scout.

JM_2018_03_16_Sebring_Continental_Tire_C

• Love 9

I love that one and the one with the "commercial" for Lonnie's Lumber looking just like a commercial for a lumber business until you see wood being chucked and yep its the wood chucks.

I love it when the random guy appears in the background.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Screw the Super Bowl commercials, we have our winner:

Great commercial. I'm almost more impressed they found the original wallpaper from his room. I've been looking for that for years. Probably just got an artist to paint it.

• Love 4
On 1/29/2020 at 7:19 AM, spiderpig said:

Chances Emily Blunt would've married him if he actually talked like that: Zero.

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Great commercial. I'm almost more impressed they found the original wallpaper from his room. I've been looking for that for years. Probably just got an artist to paint it.

I like that they included Ned Ryerson and the Mayor.  I wish they had figured out a way to include the super palindrome of 02/02/2020.  Just a throw away like a license plate of 02022020. 

• Love 2

As so not a fan of football I watch the Super Bowl for the commercials (I know I am far from alone with this) and I've narrowed this years contenders for my favourite down to three: the Jeep commercial with Bill Murray; the Alexis commercial with Ellen; and the Mars water one with Bill Nye.  Most years one commercial really stands out for me.  This year I'm going to have to call it a tie.  And to be fair some of the others were pretty good too!

Say 

14 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm normally not one who like commercials that go for the feels. But this one goes for the feels. 

I like that one,too- especially the last shot of the two ancient invalid spouses holding hands as though nothing will shake their bond AND they're getting ready for the next part of their journey when they seem confident that  they'll be restored to being young and healthy again! 

Speaking of young and healthy, on a more humorous note, I like the Jason Momoa for Rocket Mortgage in which,via CGI, he 'reveals' himself to be a short, spindly, bald man 'offcamera'- and I can't help but think that his petite spouse Lisa Bonet has to like appearing younger and healthier than he is by being able to lift the empty barbell one-handed that he fails to be able to bench press! Can anyone imagine Arnold Schwartzenegger poking fun of his larger-than-life image even for laughs and big bucks the way Mr. Momoa has done here?

• Love 2

I watch the Super Bowl for the game, so I miss some of the commercials while I'm refilling my plate, but of those I saw I liked the Doritos commercial with Lil Nas X and Sam Elliott (I love the horse refusing):

The one with Jason Momoa (who would be infinitely more attractive if he washed his hair and shaved his face) and Lisa Bonet:

The Loretta ad from whatever "turn your whole life over to us" product Google is offering:

The Alexa ad with Ellen and Portia:

and the Groundhog Day one posted up thread.

The Cheetos ad with MC Hammer was okay, too.

At least he was another person I recognized -- there were so many commercials that I could tell featured celebrities, but I had no idea who they were.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

At least he was another person I recognized -- there were so many commercials that I could tell featured celebrities, but I had no idea who they were.

Same here!  In the Superbowl thread someone mentioned being surprised that Maisie Williams (I think that was her name) could sing - the girl who sang the song from Frozen - anyway I had zero idea who she was but at least when I googled I had actually heard of Game of Thrones 😁 -most of the other celebrities that I didn't recognize still meant nothing to me when I looked them up!

I forgot one - the Jake From State Farm commercial coming back.  The new Jake's line delivery on "uh, khakis" isn't quite as good as the original's, but the meta aspect makes it a winner:

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I forgot one - the Jake From State Farm commercial coming back.  The new Jake's line delivery on "uh, khakis" isn't quite as good as the original's, but the meta aspect makes it a winner:

Isn't the guy in the next cubicle the original "Jake"?

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Isn't the guy in the next cubicle the original "Jake"?

I think so, because it's funny when the new guy asks him if people ask him what he's waring, and he answers - all the time.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3

Ironically, the Alexa ad made me yearn for the days BEFORE it ever existed- inasmuch as all the human and animal 'proto-Alexas' were not going store a person's temperature or music preferences- to say nothing of intently listening to every syllable one said before one uttered the 'magic word'. Nope, I happy to keep my home Alexa-free forever! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 11
22 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I always kind of felt for the wife in the Jake from State Farm commercials.  Why is he standing in the middle of the living room calling State Farm at three in the morning? 

I don't know about him but I often find myself lying awake at three in the morning worrying about things I was too busy (or too distracted) to think about during the day.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Do you get up and do them?

No, there is never anything I can do about any of it but if I needed to do something like add extra coverage I would just do it online. If I got up and my husband was having a conversation like the one in the commercial I would laugh my ass off and wait until he was done and ask what it was about. I wouldn't grab the phone and screech "What are you wearing?" at the other person.

• Love 3

Nine times out of ten, I am annoyed by women being portrayed as jealous and suspicious, but the actor playing the wife has such utterly perfect line delivery on "What are you wearing, Jake from State Farm?" that I totally roll with it in this case; I love the commercial and was ridiculously pleased to see it return.

• Love 7

While the scenario of a 3 am phone may be farfetched, the point of the commercial is that State Farm offers customer assistance 24/7.

Yesterday I wanted to cancel a boat insurance policy with Geico Marine. I tried to do it online with no success, so called their customer service number. It wasn't 3 am, but it could have been. Mission accomplished.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2