Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Abbie has on pants. 

She looks younger than anyone in that picture if you don't look at their sizes. Her outfit is adorable.

It's the hair on Jessa that looks horrid...like a Warren Jeffs cult level of bad.

• Love 10

I don't know whether the  "seven year itch" is still considered a thing at all, but I do suspect that if certain couples who are, maybe, not so suited for one another make it past that point, they have a good chance of either working through or ignoring their issues at that point, and just making a go of whatever they have. Not saying that this approach to marriage is ideal, but I kind of feel as though it's what I have at the 35 year point...Nothing so bad that it can't be just plodded along with, and even at the seven, fifteen, or twenty  year point, it probably seems as though nothing is so bad that fooling with the status quo is worth it. And after the 20 year point, it seems that the very thought of leaving a life in which you are financially pretty much independent without having to work, and your future is taken care of seems terrifying. Even when there might be glimpses of a future in which you pursue your passions without, not so much criticism of those, or your worth as a person, but just nibbles away at so many random and harmless things you say in everyday conversation, because you misunderstood something or even brought it up at the wrong moment....It all doesn't seem so much at the 20 year point, because the good times still outweigh the bad. But once 36 years come around, you realize that the good times are not going to come out on the right side of the balance anymore, and, at that point, there really IS no plus side to just riding it out because there's really nothing bad enough going on to really make it worth trying to figure out how living a life alone would even work.

In any case, I basically think that a bunch of them will end up in that sort of situation. Nothing bad enough to shake everything off its foundations, not necessarily happy, but not miserable enough to do anything about it.

• Love 12

JB, and even more so Michelle, have seemed to be less than warm in welcoming their DsIL. Anna called them Mr and Mrs for the longest time and she didn't hide her snarky disappointment about it. Grandma Mary seemed to be the most welcoming of Anna. Of course the "turning point" was when Anna moved in during Josh's Jesus Jail stint. And even then, again, it was Grandma Mary who really offered her the most comfort.

Kendra too, thought she'd be pulled into the 'sweet' Duggar fold and was also ignored, so she skipped on her merry Kendra way to hang with her own family. I believe Kendra said something to the effect of, well there's so many people, you kind of get lost in the crowd, while shrugging her shoulders.

Then along comes Lauren. Once again ignored, but Lauren being Lauren, takes it as a personal rejection. During Christmas she pouted because of it, however it was apparent during the scavenger hunt episode, Lauren is on a mission to be not only accepted, but besties with Michelle. Good luck Lauren.

I think Abbie and JD have been busy as newlyweds and are far more independent than the rest of the crew.

It seems to me Michelle does not 'have a heart' for DsIL.

So I think Jessa and Anna spend the most time at the TTH because they want to. Its like a daycare for them. I also think Jessa works at keeping her coveted position as Best Daughter. Her only competition left is Jana, so showing up is part of the game.

And, IMO, neither Anna or Jessa are unhappy in their marriages.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

Speaking of wives who have stayed with their cheater husbands, a Kardashian sister is back with her basketball playing baby daddy. He recently signed with the Celtics. Ugh, that means the Kardashian Klan will likely be invading Boston. Too close for my comfort.

Would you rather sit in a stadium with a Kardashian, a Duggar or a JRod?

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Speaking of wives who have stayed with their cheater husbands, a Kardashian sister is back with her basketball playing baby daddy. He recently signed with the Celtics. Ugh, that means the Kardashian Klan will likely be invading Boston. Too close for my comfort.

Would you rather sit in a stadium with a Kardashian, a Duggar or a JRod?

Hey!  Cleveland put up with Tristan and Khloe for a long, long time.  It is somebody else' turn.

Anna has painted herself into a corner with her marriage and its aftermath.  She is 'close' to her in-laws because she has to be; no telling when Josh will fall again (and it is 'when', not 'if', IMO).  Her parents are too far away and also don't seem to have the resources to support her and a herd of kids.  Her brother offered her an escape, but at the price of renouncing the cult, which she is apparently not ready or able to do.  She's gotta suck up to the Duggars, they're the only game in town.  Anna lacks the security that the others have; her husband can't be trusted and her own family is not close enough distance or beliefs wise.

Meanwhile, the other DIL seem to have supportive family nearby and Abby has a real skill and can support herself if needed.  Just having options other than JB &M is bound to make them happier and more content and less likely to play pretend with the inlaws.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
28 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Hey!  Cleveland put up with Tristan and Khloe for a long, long time.  It is somebody else' turn.

Anna has painted herself into a corner with her marriage and its aftermath.  She is 'close' to her in-laws because she has to be; no telling when Josh will fall again (and it is 'when', not 'if', IMO).  Her parents are too far away and also don't seem to have the resources to support her and a herd of kids.  Her brother offered her an escape, but at the price of renouncing the cult, which she is apparently not ready or able to do.  She's gotta suck up to the Duggars, they're the only game in town.  Anna lacks the security that the others have; her husband can't be trusted and her own family is not close enough distance or beliefs wise.

Meanwhile, the other DIL seem to have supportive family nearby and Abby has a real skill and can support herself if needed.  Just having options other than JB &M is bound to make them happier and more content and less likely to play pretend with the inlaws.

Are you thinking the relationships are all about financial security? I kind of think other than Abbie, as well as Anna who was forced to think about finances for a hot minute, the others aren't quite smart enough, or maybe more accurately, mature enough to give income much thought.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Are you thinking the relationships are all about financial security? I kind of think other than Abbie, as well as Anna who was forced to think about finances for a hot minute, the others aren't quite smart enough, or maybe more accurately, mature enough to give income much thought.

you were asking @doodlebug but I dont the the security of which Anna gets from the TTH/JB & Michelle is all financial, there is also emotional security, and social security (the literal term not the gov program). People often have a variety of competing needs, so long as Anna tows the party line JB is going to "take care" of her to a certain extent, and she is assured of her place and her role in that small social circle. 

I also think when you have families that large, some in laws are going to be closer than others. Humans have only so much emotional bandwidth and social time for closeness. In a heteronormative framework women control the social calendar (typically) so the fact that the other DILs prefer their own family of origin isn't surprising. 

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

you were asking @doodlebug but I dont the the security of which Anna gets from the TTH/JB & Michelle is all financial, there is also emotional security, and social security (the literal term not the gov program). People often have a variety of competing needs, so long as Anna tows the party line JB is going to "take care" of her to a certain extent, and she is assured of her place and her role in that small social circle. 

I also think when you have families that large, some in laws are going to be closer than others. Humans have only so much emotional bandwidth and social time for closeness. In a heteronormative framework women control the social calendar (typically) so the fact that the other DILs prefer their own family of origin isn't surprising. 

I agree about the whole person security and the wife steering the connections. I think Michelle's coldness makes it much easier for the wives to choose their families, as well. Anna is now fully embedded into the Duggar fold for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm not sure she would choose her own family now, even if they were closer, physically and emotionally.

I do think Lauren wants in and she wants in badly. Kendra will happily twirl in whatever direction the wind blows her.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah, what Scarlett said.   Financial security is just part of the package.  Remember that all of these women have been raised to believe that they are to be wives and mothers and that it is up to the men in the family to provide the financial means of support.  I think that Anna and the rest of the Duggar daughters in law have a keener sense of needing someone else to provide financial stability than most of us women who live in the real world, though.  I think Anna very clearly knows she has got to be connected to her in laws because, otherwise, she and her kids, and even her husband, aren't going to be able to make ends meet.   So, I don't think we should minimize the financial aspect of the relationship.  Anna isn't like most of us; she doesn't have the experience or resourcefulness to support herself and her kids and she knows it.

The fact that Anna was the first DIL, gave birth to the first grandkid and, due to her worthless husband, has always needed more support, both emotional and financial; is probably the reason she is so much more entwined with JB and M than the others.

• Love 6

Anna was also married off to Josh to "save" Josh from himself/his "sinful" nature. Her purpose in life, according to her cult, is to keep Josh in line -- and she has failed that so far and will likely fail again. She needs to be verrrrrrrrrrry obviously "virtuous" and doing all the "correct" wifely things that a woman in their cult is supposed to do, in order not to be totally dismissed or even shunned for that failure.

Her whole situation -- socially as well as financially -- is just a lot more precarious and even isolating than the others.' She needs the Duggar family in a way that none of the other SIL do (except arguably Lauren, who was married off to Josiah for apparently similar reasons), and more than even any of the Duggar daughters do (although Jessa is the most financially and socially dependent on the Duggars of the married daughters -- and acts like it, as well). 

• Love 12

I always assumed people were exaggerating about the Warehouse thing, but I watched Anna's Christmas house tour on Instagram, and nope, there really are no windows in that "house".  I guess that's where Jill and her fam will end up if they ever have to go crawling back to Jim Bob for help.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Kellyee said:

I always assumed people were exaggerating about the Warehouse thing, but I watched Anna's Christmas house tour on Instagram, and nope, there really are no windows in that "house".  I guess that's where Jill and her fam will end up if they ever have to go crawling back to Jim Bob for help.

there is at least one court document in public records showing Josh and Anna's address in the warehouse with Suite D listed after the address

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Kellyee said:

How can that possibly be legal? If Anna is showing the place off on Instagram, sooner or later, somebody's going to tip off Code Enforcement. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

How can that possibly be legal? If Anna is showing the place off on Instagram, sooner or later, somebody's going to tip off Code Enforcement. 

Anna probably doesn't have a clue as to what is or isn't legal in the building code and the Duggars are pretty well known for their half *ssed construction projects.  She probably figures that, since they've lived there for several years already, no one is going to rat them out.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Jeremy and Jinger way before Jill. They will have to fight it out who gets the warehouse. Josh will be like whatever I’m leaving. Forget my kids.

• Love 4

I don't think Jessa or Anna have an unhealthy relationship compared to the other Duggar women. Anna lives on the compound and the Lost Girls are her daughter's peer group. Plus, she has six kids and she gets a break when she goes there since it appears that the kids are kind of free-range at this point. I've never gotten any sense that she's that close emotionally to her parents and they're too far away to frequently visit even if she was close to them. 

As for Jessa, it's her safe place. She knows what the norms are, what's expected of her, and she gets to feel like she's the Duggar Success story. 

In my opinion, neither of them are unhappy in a way they would recognize as unhappiness. They're both doing exactly what they were raised to do. They may wonder why it's not giving them the sense of fulfillment they were promised, but they're sure if they just do something life will be the fun, happy trip they were promised.

• Love 9

Like Anna and her SsIL, many mainstream folks are stay at home parents and are happy. For some that is a goal in life and for some that is the way the cards played out. I think parenting a large litter is Anna's dream job and on the surface (minus the beliefs) she seems to be doing a good job. I think she loves Josh and has learned to trust him again, as much as any spouse who has stayed with an unfaithful partner can.

I'm guessing if any Duggar females are struggling with life choices and fulfillment its Michelle and on occasion, Jana.

Like WTF does Michelle do with her days now? It seems Ben does the homeschooling. Other than making an occasional meal, some superficial parenting of the Lost Girls and being joyfully available, what does she do?

And although Jana is very busy, being single must nag at her a bit.

Anna and Jessa likely won't start experiencing existential crises until their last kids are nearing 5, or maybe 10 years old. So depending on how many more kids they have, that could be 20 years from now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

In my opinion, neither of them are unhappy in a way they would recognize as unhappiness. They're both doing exactly what they were raised to do. They may wonder why it's not giving them the sense of fulfillment they were promised, but they're sure if they just do something life will be the fun, happy trip they were promised.

I believe Jessa is happy. Anna has been through some shit, and I have a hard time believing you live through something like that in public without some emotional scars and resentment towards the guy who made you into an object of ridicule and pity. It was bad enough what happened the first time, but then there was a second scandal with a prostitute (or was it a stripper?), the loss of their DC home, Josh's job, any dream they had of a better and independent life, and Anna's picture of a happy little family. You don't just erase that with some prayer and Jesus jail. 

And yes, Jessa was molested by Josh. But it really seems that Anna was humiliated on a whole other level. And Anna is continuing to suffer living in a warehouse while Josh does whatever job Jim Bob will let him have.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Like WTF does Michelle do with her days now? It seems Ben does the homeschooling. Other than making an occasional meal, some superficial parenting of the Lost Girls and being joyfully available, what does she do?

Have we ever known her to make an occasional meal? The only meal I can recall us talking about is one egg that she made for herself. I know she wears that stupid apron in pictures to make us all THINK she cooks, but I don't think so.

• LOL 3
  • Love 15

I think you have to be a sentient being to have an existential crisis and none of these women come close to sentient. They are indeed alive but do everything by rote and the rules are the rules. They are incurious, uneducated, placid, and emotionally stunted people. Might be some germ of intelligence in their brains but it's never going to grow.

Can't stand them, can you tell?

• LOL 3
  • Love 17
On 11/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, QuinnInND said:

It seems like they have family pictures taken constantly.  I can’t imagine having six kids and trying to coordinate everybody all the time. I only have three kids and it’s exhausting every time.  Our last family pictures are a few years old at this point. Then again, we’re not trying to maintain a social media presence, thank goodness. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Kbo said:

It seems like they have family pictures taken constantly.  I can’t imagine having six kids and trying to coordinate everybody all the time. I only have three kids and it’s exhausting every time.  Our last family pictures are a few years old at this point. Then again, we’re not trying to maintain a social media presence, thank goodness. 

Plus, you probably have an actual life (pre-Covid), where people work and children go to school  instead of being looked after by their young nieces at your mother-in-law's house.

• Love 14
On 11/23/2020 at 7:00 PM, doodlebug said:

Anna probably doesn't have a clue as to what is or isn't legal in the building code and the Duggars are pretty well known for their half *ssed construction projects.  She probably figures that, since they've lived there for several years already, no one is going to rat them out.

What worries me is that, with no windows, the warehouse might be one giant fire trap.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Mac has got the hideous banana curls 

Well it’s not like you both got jobs to go to. Let’s hope COVID doesn’t maim any of you idiots.

09E58416-B7CD-435C-A404-55F5746E9F69.jpeg

Let’s just hope they get more holidays with their family. Just in the last month, my cousins lost their grandmother on the other side of the family, and my sister in law lost a family member on her side. All due to Covid. Either Keller parent could catch it and die before Christmas. (I’m not wishing it on them, but bringing family in from all over the country while cases are spiking seems stupid.  Thanksgiving will be here next year. )

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Susanna's daughter's expression is everything... could be captioned as "Why do I have to belong to this family of Covidiots?" or just, "Why am I related to these people?" in general. Little Destiny Waller's face is also priceless; she seems to have picked up where Davia left off. The Pecan baby also has a total WTF expression.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe the Duggars and Kellers have all had covid and kept it on the downlow. Or they just keep making stupid, careless and selfish decisions over and over again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIFRXfTDCZY/

That was a superspreader event for sure .  In Texas!  What were they all thinking?  Fundies claim they don't watch TV so maybe they all just claim ignorance to the CDC guidelines.  And , in my state, rules.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

What a shitty thing to do.  A frigging family reunion NOW?  So many of us have been avoiding gatherings just like this!  All they're doing is prolonging this pandemic with their selfish behavior.  They are assholes of the highest degree.

Plus most of them were at Nurie and Nathan’s wedding in July, where they also had anniversary party for Mike and Suzette. I haven’t seen my adult kids since last Christmas but I guess I’m not special like the Keller’s.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, cdp73 said:

Is there something wrong with Josh's feet so that the only shoes he can get on those cloven hooves are Crocs?

LMAO at 'cloven hooves.'  One of my male cousins, who otherwise dresses OK, wears orange Crocs.  UG-LY!

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, Quof said:

Nope, they're still there.  It's you!

Hmmmm. Do you follow her? Perhaps because I don’t, I can no longer see them? I could prior to this.

ETA: just went to the app and I can see them, but not with Safari. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by ginger90