Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

A place to discuss Josh and Anna and their adorable kids as well as Josh's work at the Family Research council, their tweets and instagram postings, news items, appearances and what happens with them on the show.

• Love 17

While Anna's voice can be annoying, I was impressed w/the way she "taught" McKenzie. She was calm, helped her work through the frustrations, supportive, and encouraging.

• Love 2

If Anna gets pregnant again, will Mullet get a bit more jealous than she has been. I swear if I were Anna, I would do anything possible short of killing her, to keep her away from the next birth.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 2

Voting for the word "Smuggar" included in the title. Maybe a reference to his foodie IGs, or about "the FRC on TLC"

You all are referring to the way Anna always says "aaaaaaaaand," right? 

• Love 2

Yes, her "aaaaand" expolitation is VERY apparent in the current season.   "I'm starting homeschooling aaaaand MacKinsie doesn like it, aaaaaaand they miss their grandparents, aaaaaand I'm not expecting again yet...

• Love 2

So, is Anna pregnant again?

From the preview for next week, it kind of looks like there is news, but is she on the phone?  

I thought one of her sisters could be pregnant, but the timing seems off.

Edited by Rhondinella
capitalized Anna's name and reversed two words i.e. grammar

From posts on TWoP, and maybe in another thread here, TFDW has managed to get Priss in an expecting state once again. Due in November, I think, and I think TFDW just announced it on his blog. The filming for this show had to have been in the late summer/early fall, so The Fabulous Conception would have taken place long after filming. Plus, someone said on Smug's IG he had pics of their Thanksgiving in Florida, not at their DC home like I think the show is trying to script, so, possible spoiler for those who don't want to know, this is what I think the big drama is coming up on the next episode..... 

Sorry, I tried here, but the spoiler tags are not working for me...

TWoP posters figured that the big dun dun dun phone call that Anna got was just TLC shenanigans trying to inject drama...it's Boob on the phone saying the whole busload is arriving for Thanksgiving at Smug's place earlier than expected...uh oh, Smugs has to scramble to get the place ready for an invasion. It looks like even the smoke alarm goes off! Oh, noes! Riveting TV!

Edited by Rhondinella
Added Spoiler Tag
  • Love 1

One of the reasons people use the 'aaaaaaaaaand' verbiage is because that allows them to keep the floor and continue talking.  Its used a lot by children that are rarely engaged in conversation , and don't want to give up the floor when they are.  I bet Anna was 'encouraged' to be seen and NOT heard when she was growing up.  I would also guess that Anna has continued this habit with the Duggars because it's difficult to get a word in edgewise with them.

The only other explanation I can come up with is that it's Anna's version of the baby voice that Michelle has when talking to the cameras. She thinks this is the way to talk to the 'millions' of children and young mothers that are watching their show for 'encouragement'.

• Love 3

Yeah.  I have to use quotations around the world career when I think of Josh.  On paper, he is the "executive director" of the FRC.  In practical and reality based terms, he is the celebrity face of an organization created by and made for rightwing, religious fundamentalists.  No education or experience required; just smile, wave, and tout the party line.  He may go up to the hill once a week and lobby the cause of the day with like-minded politicians.  He probably goes to campaign events to help raise money for pro-life politicians.  But, the job is being Smuggar Duggar- shaking hands and making babies, and encouraging other young conservatives to make more voters...er um...babies.

• Love 2

Anna's aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddd drives me bonkers and since I first noticed it I almost cringe waiting for the next one!  I have noticed that some of the others use it a lot as well so reading that post about "keeping" the floor while talking makes sense but how sad....

Both WTFFundiefamilies and all about the Bates' have screen shots of Anna looking pregnant, more so than Pracilla who is due in November. Would kind of make sense as Marcus and Paul were born around the same time. Maybe Josh is waiting to hijack Jill's wedding by announcing it then?!

Also there's a picture of Josie and Michael at Big Sandy (I think it's on one of their instagrams) and he looks older than her IMO, she over a year older than him (even if you go by her due date).

I agree the Big Sandy photos had Anna looking pregnant, but the last two more recent photos I've seen of her she doesn't.  I think a lot depends on her choice of clothing and I'm going to have to give it another month at least to be sure one way or the other.

I was wondering about Joshua's job in Washington, DC. Is this really a permanent position? Will he be working for this conservative hate group (or whatever it's called, don't recall the name) until he's ready to retire? Although I like the idea of he and Anna being away from the Duggar parents and on their own in Washington, DC. And just a wild guess, but I'm thinking that no matter what they say, I don't think Josh and Anna will have more than 6 or 7 kids. She can probably handle it better than he can, because she was one of the younger ones and didn't actually have to raise her younger siblings nearly as much as Joshua did. Also, on one of the recent episodes, it showed Anna trying to teach Mack how to write as well as keeping the toddler and baby happy at the same time, and getting constantly interrrupted. Hopefully these two will eventually decide to send their kids to school, even a conservative Christian one , instead of homeschooling. I was never very impressed with the way that the Duggars handled homeschooling and even though Anna might try her best, it's not fair to the older kids who are trying to learn if they are constantly interrupted by their younger siblings. It would be better if they had a tutor come in to teach them their lessons. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Hmmm... Smuggar technically is not on his own. He got the job because of mommy and daddy and the family name. Anna complains about not having help with her three children. Sorry sweetie, but she is not the first or last mother on the planet who raise three or more children without nearby help. My aunt was pregnant with five kids already at home when my uncle was killed in a car accident. She had some help, but she still struggle to raise my cousins. My one sister-in-law is raising two young sons (ten and a four year old) after her husband died after a fall at work. Yes, she has a few family members and friends helping her, but she is having a hard time of it. I do not feel sorry for Smuggar or Anna.

Edited by bigskygirl

Yes, it is unrealistic of Anna to seek a baby every year until kingdom come. She is just now getting a taste of how impossible it is to concentrate with schoolwork when trying to keep two others safe and entertained. The distractions, laundry, housework will only multiply with more kids. They both are delusional also, like his parents. On another note, Anna IMO, is definitely pregnant. A video on the Blog website showed it in her face. Also, this once slender 20 year old, is now looking like a lactating cow. It is sad how top-heavy she is due to nonstop breastfeeding these last 4 years. What is wrong with them? I hope they stay away from the Duggars, en mass, and get a grip on life, send their kids to a Christian school. Anna needs to take a nap once in a while. She'll get some work done at home, the kids have a normal social experience and education, Christian based, and Josh won't have an exhausted wife when he comes home...everybody wins, JMHO

• Love 3

In the episode when Jessa and Ben came to visit with Jill as chaperone, Anna was cooking in the kitchen and Josh was with the kids and he was seated on the couch...the kids were making some noise as kids do talking over each other etc and I am pretty sure I heard Josh say SHUT UP!!  I replayed it a few times but it didn't get clearer....I guess he expects more of Anna than he does of himself in the patience dept!  I also noticed in the episode when they were fixing that room downstairs for JB and Michelle that Anna turned to kiss Josh and he turned his head away and she ended up kissing him on the cheek.  

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I have to take issue with the amount of food Anna cooks, she is not feeding toddlers!  She had such a small amount of chicken (?) and what would she do without frozen food!!  

I really hate to defend Josh but I know lots of people who got their 1st jobs not based on education or merit but based on people they knew. My best friend got a job at a bank because her aunt knew someone there. Was my friend qualified ? I don't know. I would not say she was more qualified than I would imagine other applicants were. I was a little jealous at the time, and many people consoled me with the old saying, it's all who you know.

I have worked at a public university, a nonprofit, two medical centers and a large construction company. Every single job has had at least one person in the department, and usually a couple if interns, who were not qualified, but were related to somebody. The public university actually had more nepotism than the family owned construction company. I can't blame josh for taking that job, but I do question those who hired him in the first place.

• Love 2

Has any one else seen Josh's recent Instagram pics? Mack looks as though she is wearing a tunic top and leggins. I know I've seen the little girls wear leggins and dresses in a couple of episodes, but I'm pretty sure that they were younger and they were wearing actual dresses.

(edited)

I do not think the FRC is a 'hate group'.  They have very conservative values and lobby congress, just as many uber liberal groups do.  I may not agree with them, but I will not call them a hate group because of their beliefs and lobbying efforts.  They were very active in getting young Justina Pelletier out of the hands of the Massachusetts Family Services.  I will not go into all the details.  You can google Justina Pelletier and see what happened to her family when they took her to a hospital (Boston Children's Hospital) that disagreed with the treatment whe was receiving at another world-reknown hospital (Tufts).  Any parent reading her story would be frightened.  In any case FRC focuses on families.  The problem is that their definition of family may not be yours or mine, but that is their right.  And for sure Josh got that job because of family name recognition.  He doesn't actually seen to be working very much, but I don't know the taping schedule for 19 Kids and Counting.  Perhaps they tape around his work?

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 2

I don't think Josh really has a job at FRC that goes beyond tweeting support for their causes or showing up where they need him to to make a canned speech they wrote. It's not like he can write a political brief or take a case to court with his lack of formal education. 

• Love 4

I'm with you, mimionthebeach. The Southern Poverty Law Center calls them a hate group and that would be enough for me even without reading anything about their positions on issues. I watch this show for snark but am nonetheless troubled by their beliefs and the degree to which JimBoob and his ilk are actively working to support political positions that are absolutely antithetical to mine.

• Love 4

I still can't believe that TLC hides the fact that Josh works for a hate group when their parent company Discovery Communications is pro-LGBT and pro-women's reproductive rights. That is the bigger story.

• Love 9

I still can't believe that TLC hides the fact that Josh works for a hate group when their parent company Discovery Communications is pro-LGBT and pro-women's reproductive rights. That is the bigger story.

Well, they certainly have not promoted it either.   Have they ever even eduled to the type of job Josh has other than something white collar?  If I were a casual view not in the "know", I'd be awfully confused and curious...

• Love 1

Good point @maraleia. I have a friend who has a very high level position with Discovery. He is openly gay, and has been very complimentary of the progressive views and tolerance at the company. The FRC really goes against the corporate stand. I'd love to get some "behind closed doors" information about this, but he works with talent and is contractually kept from sharing many things.

• Love 1

I don't get all the Josh hate. He's just sort of a "shrug, so what?" For me.

Josh makes my teeth start to grind when he starts to pontificate (pretty much, when he opens his mouth). I have a problem with this 24-ish year old uneducated sheltered not-so-bright jerkwad starts to parrot his patriarchal talking points and act like he is oh-so-wise for having fathered 3 kids before turning 25. 

• Love 12