Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Is anyone thinking that it's time for Josh and Anna to annnounce baby #4 now? The way this family has to constantly upstage each other, it should be coming any day now. Maybe they'll wait until Jessa and Ben's wedding to make that announcement.

It does seem like there's a competitive trend of taking away another sibling's shine, doesn't it? Before Jessa could flaunt her courtship with Bin, Jill's relationship with Derick takes center stage. Jessa finally gets engaged, then Jill announces her pregnancy on the cover of People. The Smuggar brood is old hat at this point, so I'm guessing Josh is working hard on M#4 to get some camera time back. 

It does seem like there's a competitive trend of taking away another sibling's shine, doesn't it? Before Jessa could flaunt her courtship with Bin, Jill's relationship with Derick takes center stage. Jessa finally gets engaged, then Jill announces her pregnancy on the cover of People. The Smuggar brood is old hat at this point, so I'm guessing Josh is working hard on M#4 to get some camera time back. 

I think it's less of a competition between the kids, and more of a manipulation by Boob and TLC for as high of ratings as possible. Whatever they think will bring in the most ratings, they will go for, regardless if it is "fair" to certain kids or not.

• Love 2

A Duggar-watching/following/snarking friend and I were discussing the timing stuff yesterday with the start of the new season and we have wholeheartedly concluded it's time to stop with this whole media presence outside the show, then 6 months later, we get invented footage of what we all heard about six months ago. Let's just do a few hour-long specials a year with the high points, okay? Like they did with one of Anna's deliveries, that she had the baby and then a week or two later, we got the special on a Sunday night.

• Love 2

Have you forgotten what family you're talking about??? It would have been the cover of People.

This.  I'm sure Josh and the rest of the family would have found a way to blame it on birth control pills since hormonal contraceptives = abortion has been a big part of his talking points representing FRC.

I've been wondering the same thing about Anna, though I see the point about there being no way the family wouldn't exploit such a situation.  But Marcus is, what, a little over a year old now?  I wonder if she's getting hounded about when the next M'blessing is coming. I mean, if the J'girls were egging Jill on to take a pregnancy test after being married a few weeks, I can only imagine they'd be a bit concerned that Anna has gone so long without "catching a baby." 

• Love 2

Marcus' birthday is in June so if Anna doesn't get pregnant this month, he'll be at least 2 years older than any future siblings. This is a pretty big space for this crowd. I'm suspecting some NFP behind closed doors. 

• Love 2

Anna has always retained a little bit of a tummy from her pregnancies, so I think she's one of those types where you're always going to look at her and wonder "is she or isn't she?"

Apparently on next week's epi Josh falls off the wagon, yet again, with regards to his diet. They showed him with a plate of breakfast food that could have fed two men. I guess moderation isn't in his vocabulary.

I know they are krazy famewhores but if Anna did have a miscarriage and not on birth control then it would have been an act of God which I think those assholes wouldn't want out there. IDK she looked mighty pregnant to me and I had twins and I didn't nor do I look that big after.

Have your forgotten how they exploited Jubilee?  No birth control there, and I don't recall a lot of talk of "Act of God".   Just a lot of "Look at How Pious and Righteous We Are."

There was the miscarriage in between Michael and Marcus though, right? To me that doesn't quite "count" as a space because there wouldn't have been if that baby hadn't miscarried. (I know, I am really discussing semantics of child spacing) Who knows, maybe Anna just hasn't been able to get pregnant. Seems a little unlikely to me being that she's been pregnant 4 times in 5 years or however long it's been, but I know it happens.

Does anyone know the approximate spacing of Anna and her siblings? I did a google search but it didn't come up with much. I don't get the impression they were all pumped out every 18 months though.

1) I think Josh really loves Anna, and Anna really loves Josh.  If one of them said (behind closed doors) that they wanted to wait, I think the other would respect that.

2) I also think that living in DC and having a real job (even one many of us would find less than tasteful) gives them both a world where they aren't defined by the number of children that they have.  And they realize that they like that.  You might even call that a BLESSING!  ;)

• Love 4

I would not call Smuggar's job a real job. He is just a figure head with a fancy job title. He got it because he is the number one child of a couple of famewhorers. Without the Duggar name, he would be just another guy in the real world trying to survive with very little skills and talents.

Eh, I live in the Washington DC area, so I know a lot of people who are figureheads with fancy job titles that came to them because they are the child of famewhore parents with few skills and talents.  :) 

On a more serious note, he's a fundraiser and public speaker for a political non-profit with a very specific and narrow agenda.  He is able to go into a niche area that not everyone (no matter how well educated, or positioned) can and reach out to people that not all people (no matter how well connected to politicians) can reach.  There is, perhaps unfortunately, a lot of money and connections to made at the pro-life grassroots level.  But not everyone can go after it.  Josh Duggar can in ways other people cannot.  Is that worth the salary he makes?  I don't know, but a lot of people in my opinion aren't worth the salaries they make.

• Love 2
GEML, I agree. Josh can be an arrogant jerk at times, but I've never gotten the vibe that he rules his house with an iron fist. I can't see him pushing Anna into having a zillion children if that's not what she wants.

I agree. But....I don't really see that being the case with JB and Michelle. I think she is some crazy-for-babies freak, and loves the attention she gets when she is pregnant or has a newborn. I would almost say she's a bit obsessed with babies, what with her still wanting to cling to all the old baby stuff. Although, I guess it could be said that JB made her feel that was her only worth, but I don't know. I tend to see the baby mania coming more from her. 

I agree with the poster upthread that said Anna tends to keep a bit of a belly. Plus, the billowing clothing these women wear does not help one bit. I actually thought her face looked THINNER on the show this week. 

I think most of the viewers, especially those of us on this board, would respect Josh and Anna's decision to limit the size of their family. If they just had one or two more children and decided their family was complete, would their parents look down upon them for not having as many blessings as the Lord gave them? It appears that Jana and Joy have been visiting Josh and Anna lately, this makes me think that Anna is probably somewhat overwhelmed with 3 children under 5 years old and really

appreciates the help she gets from her sister in laws. I do think I remember seeing on an episode last season, that Anna stated, they weren't trying or not trying to

have another baby. I guess that's the closest to natural family planning that they're going to admit to.

Wild improbable theory time!

What if the main reason for Jana's stay in DC (apart from help with childcare) is that Josh is trying to introduce her to guys from his organisation?  Josh might sense that he's a bit of a laughingstock, or suspect that his time there is limited.  But if he can get his sister married off to an executive, it all of a sudden makes his job a LOT more secure.  Josh can play that trump card if his job is ever in peril: "If it wasn't for my job here, Mr. Baldrick would never have met Jana, and I know that they are so happy together - it would look pretty bad if you fired me."

I don't think Josh is book smart, but I think he's smart enough in a weaselly kind of way to know that this job gives him a great quality of life, and it's worth playing a bit dirty to keep it.

(Of course, in this scenario, Jana is blissfully happy with Mr. Baldrick, and gets to do lots of exciting things with him and be happy)

• Love 1

LOL So it was 1 year and 50 weeks less a day between the boys. 

I thought the miscarriage was between Mackynzie (or whatever it is) and Michael, but it's been long enough for me to forget. 

I keep hoping that the reason Jana keeps going to DC is that she's getting to know a young man.  At least she isn't overseeing the howlers while she's in DC. 

• Love 1

Marcus' birthday is in June so if Anna doesn't get pregnant this month, he'll be at least 2 years older than any future siblings. This is a pretty big space for this crowd. I'm suspecting some NFP behind closed doors. 

I'm suspecting that  poor Smuggles is tuckered out from having to show up at an office and pretend to work for 8 hours a day (when he's not on one of his monthly vacyacays). I just think there's a lot less sexytime happening in the DC burbs these days.

I don't think Josh wants a million kids. Sure at the wedding they go through that "will you let god decide the size of your family" and what are you going you say? So they say yes. Anna meant it (when talking about Josh's health mentioned 5 or 6 more kiddos in 10 years or something like that). Josh once said he'd be happy with 2 or 3. Maybe he's checking the wall calendar and feeling too tired on certain days.

• Love 1

GEML, I agree. Josh can be an arrogant jerk at times, but I've never gotten the vibe that he rules his house with an iron fist. I can't see him pushing Anna into having a zillion children if that's not what she wants.

Agreed. He's not my favorite, but I think Josh actually may have benefited from having been the oldest child -- I think J'Chelle has grown exponentially more crazy with each baby, so he had her to himself for at least a couple of years when she may have been a bit more mainstream. It's clear they're close; I can't remember which kid's birth it was -- Mackynzie's, I think -- when J'chelle showed up and was affectionate toward him, and it didn't seem fake. And he's even called her "Mommy" a couple of times. 

Yes, I think Josh is the only one she's ever been genuine with in terms of affection.  I've seen it said before that he will know better than all his siblings how she descended into crazy land with each "precious addition"

I can't see them having a bunch of kids either.  It's easy to say "we want this houseful of kids, blah, blah, blah..." but once you actually start having them, totally different ball game.  Anna seems overwhelmed with the three, I'd hate to see her have more and have a breakdown or anything like that.  I also believe Josh and Anna truly love each other and I don't think he'd put that  on her.  I know back in my smug non kid days I always wanted 4 because I thought it'd be so easy and they'd all entertain each other, etc....then I had one and was like "yeah I think 2 is a good number ha ha"  I feel like Anna and Josh were sort of the same way, maybe they will only have one or two more?  Although I do lol at the idea of Josh being tired certain days of the month (can totally see him doing that).

• Love 2
Yes, I think Josh is the only one she's ever been genuine with in terms of affection.

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. And it's interesting, because things probably didn't get too crazy around there until about #4 or #5 (I'd say later if they weren't spaced so close together). So why not closeness with some of her older girls? I wonder if was there in the beginning, but all that didn't change as they became mature, fertile breeders like herself? I see a lot of bitterness and underlying jealousy when Michelle is around Anna, I don't see why she wouldn't feel the same about her young, beautiful daughters. 

Was that a flashback scene or recent one of Anna taking the pregnancy test and Josh telling her the result?  Her kissing him over and over and over again was so childish in behavior...and I think their mouths are closed when they kiss.  Michelle's lips seal up tight when JB swoops in for a smooch and I think Anna does it too.  Is open mouth kissing not allowed even after marriage?   God she couldn't get enough of him in that scene, no cameras and can you say boom boom!  No wonder she thinks Derrick and Jill would be like rabbits 24/7 and not want company even in a big house!

I don't know if any of you have happened to catch the Dishing With The Duggars clips, but they played one today where Josh was doing a TH about the construction of TTM. He had a really hard, bitter look on his face and basically remarked that the project wasted three years of his life and was something he would never do again. To me, Josh has always been one where his initial reaction gives his true emotions away, then he quickly tries to hide it and say something snarky or make a joke. Seeing him so clearly angry was unsettling.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

Is TTM their current house? I caught the dishing segment with Michelle and the lost boys when they were discussing going to Josh/Anna's small house for dinner after they were married. It was painfully awkward to watch!

My favorite thing from the flashback episodes is the one where Josh and Anna go to the doctor for the first appointment and Anna mentions she's having trouble swallowing vitamins and Josh says something about how Anna is a pro at swallowing. Bahahaha! 

• Love 3
I don't know if any of you have happened to catch the Dishing With The Duggars clips, but they played one today where Josh was doing a TH about the construction of TTM.

Do you recall the name of the clip? I'd really like to see it and I can't seem to find it on the TLC site. Thanks!

I actually don't blame Josh one bit for being forced to spend his teenage years building that huge house when clearly Jim Bob had no idea what he was doing. I think even today if might not be finished if TLC hadn't stepped in...Jim Bob was clearly over his head with that project. And using 16 year old Joshua and 14 year old John David as his main helpers for the construction as well as many of the younger kids? Geez, with the girls functioning as unpaid maids and nannies most of their lives, and the boys as unpaid unskilled laborers, no wonder Jim Bob was rich even before the show got started. But when you're employing your own family in a family business, I guess child labor laws clearly don't apply. I wonder though, if this is one reason Joshua was in such a hurry to get married and away from home at such a young age. 

I don't think Josh wants a million kids. Sure at the wedding they go through that "will you let god decide the size of your family" and what are you going you say? So they say yes. Anna meant it (when talking about Josh's health mentioned 5 or 6 more kiddos in 10 years or something like that). Josh once said he'd be happy with 2 or 3. Maybe he's checking the wall calendar and feeling too tired on certain days.

I got the feeling that Josh was ready to be done after Michael.  Anna wanted 6 or 8, I think she said, but Josh said he'd be happy with "one or two," then paused and added as long as that's what the Lord had in mind for them.  And I don't think Josh wanted kids as fast as they got them - he seemed downright resentful of Mack at times when she was a baby and he was trying to get Anna's attention, and she ignored him to take care of Mackynzie's needs. 

Given that Anna is taking care of three children under five, I'd say it's a good bet that their sex life has slowed waaayyy down. Josh is seriously overweight, I can't imagine his libido is all that high anyways.

Believe it ot not, people fatter than Josh often have perfectly good sex drives. And that's all I'm sayin' about that. ;-)
  • Love 5

Yes, I'm not sure where the idea started that heavy or even obese people have low sex drives, but that, ahem, just doesn't seem to be the case with the real life people I have known. ;)

• Love 6
And I don't think Josh wanted kids as fast as they got them - he seemed downright resentful of Mack at times when she was a baby and he was trying to get Anna's attention, and she ignored him to take care of Mackynzie's needs.

That's a good point. Being one of the oldest, Josh was put to work pretty early on and was shoved aside as far as attention goes. Every year there were more and more kids to compete with for his parents' affection. I often think these fundie kids marry quickly because they're not allowed to do anything more than clutch at each other's sweaty palms, but in Josh's case, I wonder if he just really wanted to get out of there and have some one on one attention. Anna's family was half his size. It makes total sense to me that he wouldn't want to jump right into having a full house again. He probably wanted some downtime. But he really does seem to love those kids.