Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For me it was Gemini, South Dakota, Lou Gehrig, George and Gracie, The Lost Weekend, and Pearl Buck. Also FJ.

I picked North Dakota, my husband South. Neither of us is good at differentiating them. I apologize to all Dakotans, North and South.

I got all of the others mentioned, and Martina Navratilova. I was surprised by the TS for her because they clearly knew some of the big women's tennis players.

I actually thought of boobies (the bird) first for FJ (it was the "footed" part of the clue) but got to the answer by way of Albion, and then the Ancient Mariner. It was quite a trip. 🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Driad said:

Hand washing tip: Jeopardy "Think" music is two "verses" in 30 seconds.  One verse is 15.  For 20 seconds, go the point at which, if you were a contestant, you might realize "Even if I think of the answer now, I won't have time to write it."

Thank you! Truly. I am so sick of "Happy Birthday" I could barf. The Jeopardy! think music will be my new go-to (for the full 30 seconds, why the hell not).

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Thank you! Truly. I am so sick of "Happy Birthday" I could barf. The Jeopardy! think music will be my new go-to (for the full 30 seconds, why the hell not).

I sing the ABC song - because I can keep my place and there's a cute memory of my daughter associated with it. Though I have thought about the Jeopardy think music. I'll have to time it. I was thinking of timing an assortment of songs - some rock, etc., just to keep it from getting boring.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

Never did see yesterday’s show on Channel 7 (have no idea if they even broadcast it after being preempted by Trump’s press conference), so I got caught up on the archive site.

Got Navratilova, Pele, Gehrig, SD, MI, George & Gracie, Gemini, jet, Lost Weekend, Pearl S. Buck, on horse, and chortle, but completely brain-farted on FJ. Knew it was “alb-something,” but could not get albatross out for anything!

• Love 1

THIS was the day I should be on the show (not for real, of course!).  There were several good categories for me, but the Norman conquest was made for this medieval history major!  And then for the last DD to be in that category!  I mentally wagered everything, then briefly thought, what if this is the only hard one of the bunch?  But no.  Although they had to slip in one clue not actually related to the conquest, the $1600 clue--The Normans introduced this process by combat maybe an improvement on Anglo-Saxons' this by ordeal Jeopardy.  Although this was a result of the conquest, it's not like it was part of the actual conquest, but more the legal reforms, enacted along with the Domesday Book.

I rarely feel this nerdy watching J!, so I'm kind of enjoying it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 3/14/2020 at 8:47 AM, Clanstarling said:

I actually thought of boobies (the bird) first for FJ (it was the "footed" part of the clue) but got to the answer by way of Albion, and then the Ancient Mariner. It was quite a trip. 🙂

I got albatross right away because I have been reading (for the third time) Patrick O’Brian’s wonderful maritime novels with Captain Jack Aubrey and physician Stephen Maturin. Maturin was thrilled to finally see the giant albatross, though the superstitious sailors weren’t.

Edited by Minaboo
Changed suspicious to superstitious.
  • Love 3

I guessed FJ correctly.  And, having come up with some pretty boneheaded FJ responses, I hate to ridicule someone else's, but The Wizard of Oz?  In 1952?  And the only scene I remember that involved water was throwing the bucket on the wicked witch.

I got the TSs of 15th century, nexus, and Wuthering Heights.  And I got all two radioactive clues right:)

• Love 3

Another of my favorite movies for FJ today!  Instaget -- and I'll have the song running through my head for hours now, but I'm okay with that.  Wizard Of Oz was an odd guess.

Congrats to the new champ!  And that was a smart bet by the middle contestant.

I only got the 15th Century and dateless TS.  I wish they'd finished the radioactive category.

• Love 1

Yay, Sid! Other than the joy of a new champ, I don't have much to celebrate. I even blew FJ. I thought of Singing in the Rain but wrote down something stupid--An American in Paris (oy...I thought Singing in the Rain was a part of American in Paris😳

8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I guessed FJ correctly.  And, having come up with some pretty boneheaded FJ responses, I hate to ridicule someone else's, but The Wizard of Oz?  In 1952?  And the only scene I remember that involved water was throwing the bucket on the wicked witch.

I got the TSs of 15th century, nexus, and Wuthering Heights.  And I got all two radioactive clues right:)

Instaget for FJ, one of my favorite movies. also got nexus, some others I can't remember and my thinking for Wuthering Heights went something like Earnshaw - Catherine?-Bronte-Cathy-Heathcliff-WUTHERING HEIGHTS at the last possible second.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I only got 15th century for Joan of Arc (my alma mater of Marquette has a chapel on campus that she supposedly prayed at—it had been brought over from France by some millionaire and donated to the school). I did get FJ immediately since that’s one of my alltime favs.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I cut her some slack...some...because of her age. Plus, she knew that the Toledo Mud Hens are the Tigers' farm team

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Glad to see Gritty's been let out of jail. He looked great in his photo, so much so that he made me laugh. Plus I appreciated the shout out to one of our posters, @lb60 I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Continuing my streak of lucky FJ categories ... Comics, Birds, now Old Movies.

Congrats to Jessica for a great three-day run, but sorry to see her succumb to the Three-Days-And-You're-Done syndrome. I enjoyed her days on the show, and she can Personally Style my hair any time. I love hers.

• Love 4

FJ=instaget.

Aside from that, I couldn't concentrate on squat.

I like the new champ. South Jersey represent!!!!!!

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Glad to see Gritty's been let out of jail. He looked great in his photo, so much so that he made me laugh. Plus I appreciated the shout out to one of our posters, @lb60 I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He was found innocent of all charges. I'm waiting for him to post on twitter or instagram that he was a clue on Jeopardy.

Now I just have to hope the Phanatic wins his lawsuit, because his new look is not good. 

So far, the rest of Philly's mascots have managed to stay out of trouble. 

• LOL 1

The subcontracted TS surprised me; I think they got tripped up by the promised in marriage part of the clue.  Nexus, 15th century, and dateless (which also stumped me) were clues I'd have figured at least one contestant would get, but no head scratchers among tonight's TS.

I didn't know the story behind that line from "Vasoline" - my fun tidbit for the day.

I wasn't sure what to expect with FJ, as I tend to enjoy stage musicals, but don't even need both hands to count the movie musicals I like.  Singin' in the Rain isn't one of them, but I guessed it immediately based on the year and water.

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Even though there are songs in it, I never considered WoO a musical, either.

12 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Instaget for FJ, one of my favorite movies. also got nexus, some others I can't remember and my thinking for Wuthering Heights went something like Earnshaw - Catherine?-Bronte-Cathy-Heathcliff-WUTHERING HEIGHTS at the last possible second.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't know the story behind that line from "Vasoline" - my fun tidbit for the day.

I don't believe I know the song, but I got "pilots" and managed to come up with stone, but sadly, not temple.

8 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Sid's physiognomy makes me think of Buzz Aldrin.

Yes, but better looking. Sid won me over with his self-deprecating story.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't believe I know the song, but I got "pilots" and managed to come up with stone, but sadly, not temple.

Yes, but better looking. Sid won me over with his self-deprecating story.

I said Stone Cold Pilots!

Yes, Sid's story was very amusing!  I was glad he won, and Jessica was out.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Jeopardy and Wheel have stopped production, but there are, of course, episodes already recorded.

ETA: Now I see Opus already posted this in the Media thread. Scoop goes to Opus!

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

For those who might be wondering why Alex said that the Final Jeopardy! clue was "close to home," it's because Sony Studios, where Jeopardy! is recorded, used to be the MGM studios.  In fact (if the contestant coordinators were not lying to us), the studio Jeopardy! tapes in used to be a rehearsal hall where Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland practiced dance numbers.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Ummm...Jessica "Rabbit" is a personal stylist?

That is all.

I couldn't believe that either. 

She looked fine, no problem their, but her style was like middle aged librarian.  Which is great if you are going to be on Jeopardy.  Its not great if you are a personal stylist. 

I thought maybe it might be better after the first day, maybe it was just a bad day.....no, day after day, same things

Good guess for singing on the rain on FJ by me. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

... but The Wizard of Oz?  In 1952?  And the only scene I remember that involved water was throwing the bucket on the wicked witch.

😁 And now I'm picturing problems with the bucket of water used to melt the witch.

16 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I cut her some slack...some...because of her age. Plus, she knew that the Toledo Mud Hens are the Tigers' farm team

Toledo Mud Hens always makes me think of Klinger from M*A*S*H*. 

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Glad to see Gritty's been let out of jail. He looked great in his photo, so much so that he made me laugh.

I remember when Gritty was first unveiled, everyone (including me) thought he was the scariest, worst-designed mascot in history. Now I'm rather fond of him.

13 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Did I hear "Gull-er-val's Travels"?? That's what it sounded like.

I thought the pronunciation sounded off, too. I sorta expected a correction in scores.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Stone Temple Pilots flitted thru my mind for a second, but I was really trying to remember the name Twenty-One Pilots, even though I knew that was wrong.

I got 15th century (for Joan of Arc) and FJ.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm glad "I invited 600 people to my wedding" not only didn't win, but came in last.

I didn't mind her. I am just astonished that anyone, ever, knows that many people to invite to a wedding. A celeb, maybe. I don't know enough people for a tenth of that crowd. At least, those I'd want to have come to my wedding. I mean, unless it's a money and presents grab.

• Love 4

Boo, hiss!  I wanted Sid to win again!  I like Sid.  New champ is okay, I guess, but his hair annoyed me.  However, I did not get FJ, and he did, so there's that.  I also said Germany even though I knew it was wildly wrong.

I did manage to get UVA (I'd have to move out of Virginia if I'd missed that one!), David Lee Roth, Christian Barnard, and Marlee Matlin.  It made me sad that no one knew Diamond Dave even with a photo.

• Love 3

I got University of Virginia, David Lee Roth, Singapore Sling, Marlee Matlin, and FJ-China. I figured the ex-President was Jefferson and got UVA from there. I was also bummed no one got David Lee—he’s an icon of my teen years! I was waffling between Germany and China for FJ but then figured the 1997 reunification was with Hong Kong.

What a weird coincidence for me on FJ. I was watching Joseph Rosendo's Travel Scope show on PBS earlier. He was visiting Hong Kong and started the show saying it was part of "one country, two systems".. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Ugh! This may sound familiar, but I can't stand the new champ. Disappointed in you, Sid.

I managed to get FJ after starting in Germany, then traveling to Yugoslavia for some reason, before getting to China.

I also got Marlee Matlin.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was going to be very unhappy if UVa was in the old colleges category but not W&M.  Thank you Jeopardy for not making me unhappy.  Also got to have a giggle that UVa was a TS - please don't judge me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was going to be very unhappy if UVa was in the old colleges category but not W&M.  Thank you Jeopardy for not making me unhappy.  Also got to have a giggle that UVa was a TS - please don't judge me.

I judge you, @Grundoon59, but in the best possible way, as a fellow member of The Tribe!  (I thought it was amusing as well.)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

For those who might be wondering why Alex said that the Final Jeopardy! clue was "close to home," it's because Sony Studios, where Jeopardy! is recorded, used to be the MGM studios.  In fact (if the contestant coordinators were not lying to us), the studio Jeopardy! tapes in used to be a rehearsal hall where Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland practiced dance numbers.

The 40 Acres backlot (actually about 30 acres) was owned by several studios over the years including MGM, Desilu and Sony. There's a great website that covers its history here. The Andy Griffith Show exteriors, several original Star Trek episodes, at least one Batman (ca 1964) episode, Gomer Pyle USMC, and Hogan's Heroes sets were there. Many movies were filmed there, too. The Tara mansion from Gone With the Wind was there, as were sets for Tarzan. The original King Kong movie was shot there.

More recent, both Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune studios (Sony) are there, as are studios for Gordon Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen series. If you're so inclined, open Google Maps and type "8655 Hayden Place Culver" in the location box. That's almost exactly where Stalag 13 was located in the show "Hogan's Heroes". The Baldwin Hills are just to the south across Ballona Creek and Jefferson Blvd.

I've spent hours poring over that website in the last few years. (I almost wrote "foolishly wasted", which wouldn't be correct at all!)

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Only half-watching , but after UVA  & W&M, I said, wait, is there a Virginia college’s category?  Sadly, no. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

Jeopardy wasn't aired in Boston due to a press conference by Mayor Walsh Where can I see today's episode online.

Here is a YouTube link, although there's Gao Domingo taking up a good part of the screen.

I mixed up David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar (Sacrilege, I know!) but knew UVA and Marlee Matlin. FJ was a guess for me.

I like the new champ, hair and all. His OMG I WON! reaction at the end won me over. I cheered for his come from behind win, especially when it was looking to be a Sid runaway for a long time. Nothing against Sid, but I prefer games where the outcome is in doubt until the last minute.

• Love 3

Good game.

The David Lee Roth TS surprised me.  I was not expecting Marlee Matlin or University of Virginia to be TS, either.

The Singapore Sling TS didn't surprise me, but thinking a Mai Tai was made with gin (or was alliterative) did.

I couldn't believe they initially accepted Portugal in place of Portuguese; glad to see that corrected.

China was what popped into my head right away for FJ, and then immediately after that I started doubting myself because it was an instaguess not an instaget of a fact I know for sure.  But, after running through a few other reunified countries against those dates, I was almost positive I indeed had it right.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Boo, hiss!  I wanted Sid to win again!  I like Sid.  

Ditto.

New champ is okay, I guess

Ditto ditto.

However, I did not get FJ, and he did, so there's that.

Ditto ditto ditto.

I also said Germany even though I knew it was wildly wrong.

Ditto ditto ditto ditto.

38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I couldn't believe they initially accepted Portugal in place of Portuguese; glad to see that corrected.

Another day and they may have accepted it. They are inconsistent when it comes to parts of speech.

I could not drag David Lee Roth's name out of my head.

I got Christian Barnard and Marlee Matlin.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Though I really liked Sid, I was kind of happy the new kid won. Mostly because a friend of mine's son is his age and an adjunct professor - which as I understand is kind of a gig economy job in the college education field. Hence his "and who is going to hire this PHD" in FJ. Also he looks a bit like my friend's son. So I hope he keeps it up for a while. 🙂

Totally stuck on the reunification and said Germany even knowing the dates were very wrong. Oh well.

• Love 4

I was gobsmacked that David Lee Roth was a TS.  Yet the former champ knew Hendrix.

I couldn't come up with David Lee Roth ("not Eddie Van Halen" probably not acceptable as an answer). My hubby who sucks at Jeopardy got Hendrix but he too is old 🙂

No BMS for an answer of "Caesar"? 

Co-sign on that one. Julius, Augustus, Octavius, Irving, SId, Kit...

• LOL 3
  • Love 3