Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yikes - is that statue an optical illusion or is it really that huge?  Patel is such a popular name in India so that was a great clue.  I forgot how often Eton used to be in crossword puzzles. But over the past few years, the Washington Post's crossword puzzles have been (by two different creators) very different from puzzles of yesteryear, unfortunately.

Washington Post puzzles are the only ones my husband does, so Eton must still be there. Many years ago Gene Weingarten wrote an entertaining article about how an alien civilization would view the earth based on crossword puzzle clues.

• LOL 3

I don't do crossword puzzles, and pay very little attention to royal families, so I have to credit knowing Eton (which wasn't a TS, but a missed DD, so odds are if it had been a "regular" clue someone would have known it) to what I picked up by scrolling through the Royals thread as I "next unread topic" my way through the Everything Else TV forum.  I don't think I'd have picked that up, at least to the point I could pull it out of my brain, otherwise.

11 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Between the William and Mary mention and one contestant being from down the road in Canton  MI, I was starting to feel like tonight's show was designed for me but I've got no Nebraska connection that I know of.  Oh well, two out of three ain't bad.

I knew the William & Mary answer, and I've lived in Nebraska, so two out of three for me.

I've been to Windsor, so Eton came to mind immediately.  Also there's the fab English pudding (dessert) called Eton mess - so good!  Strawberries, meringues, cream.  Also knew stein.  FJ was a total miss for me - I couldn't think of anything to guess!

• Love 1

I am stunned that the FJ was a triple stumper. I thought it was so easy and obvious, almost too easy that there had to be a trick to it. I didn't even have to fully read the clue to know it, just glancing at the words "doctor" "isle" "pain," duh, Island of Dr Moreau. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2
(edited)

8 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I am stunned that the FJ was a triple stumper. I thought it was so easy and obvious, almost too easy that there had to be a trick to it. I didn't even have to fully read the clue to know it, just glancing at the words "doctor" "isle" "pain," duh, Island of Dr Moreau. 🤷‍♀️

That's why I kept questioning myself.  I'm familiar with the basic plot, but had never read it.  It seemed too obvious.

Edited by Katy M
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yikes - is that statue an optical illusion or is it really that huge? 

I think the clue said it was the height of two Statue of Libertys, so that's why I googled it. I couldn't imagine the size.

I forgot how often Eton used to be in crossword puzzles. But over the past few years, the Washington Post's crossword puzzles have been (by two different creators) very different from puzzles of yesteryear, unfortunately.

The WP online crossword puzzle is the only one I do, and they still occasionally have an Eton clue.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I got it, because of those clues, despite only having a vague knowledge of the book at all (likely from watching a snippet of  the movie, as I'm sure I never saw the entire film). That being said, I can totally see how people would never know it. I didn't even know it was written by HG Wells, despite the fact I knew his other famous works fairly well.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

The WP online crossword puzzle is the only one I do, and they still occasionally have an Eton clue.

Same here, and it does pop up enough that I know it.

5 hours ago, ABay said:

I got FJ, then second-guessed myself ("Is that by Verne or Wells?") but stuck with it.

That was my problem. I've never read MOREAU or seen the movies (Laughton or Brando) but the French name led me to think it was by Jules Verne; therefore "not British."😯

• Love 1

I didn't get FJ. I didn't see Moana.  I immediately assumed there was some movie about Gauguin.  I didn't get any TSs, not that there were a plethora of them for me to get.  But, still, argh.  There were some.

I had a fairly good night, but I needed to get FJ to end the game in the black.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't get FJ. I didn't see Moana. 

I actually did get Moana, I haven't seen the whole thing but I have seen clips when my granddaughter watched it. It was the only recent movie I could think of that took place in the south seas, but I did take a moment to wonder if there had been another remake of Mutiny on the Bounty.

• Love 1

Another instaget FJ for me.  I loved that movie!  

I got exacta and adding machine, and I should have gotten The Power.  I read it and it stuck with me for a long time -- I thought it was an interesting look at things.  But I could not for the life of me remember the title.

No grandchildren for me, and I wouldn't have gotten FJ in a bill-zillion years, and me, a movie fan. When the answer was revealed, I was all, "Hey, that's no movie, it's a CARTOON."

I learned a new word today, "exactor." Any horse-racing term is second nature to me, but "exactor" sounds more like a Harry Potter dementor curse.

I call foul on CANDOR. What a poorly written clue, "2 states on the West Coast bookend North Dakota to form this 6-letter word for frankness." I was so confused since North Dakota is nowhere near the West Coast, so how could WC states be next to it. Yeah, read it a few times and work at it and one can maybe figure out what they were going for. A better clue would be something like "Two West Coast states added to North Dakota form a 6-letter word for frankness."

Not surprised it was a TS.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I call foul on CANDOR. What a poorly written clue, "2 states on the West Coast bookend North Dakota to form this 6-letter word for frankness." I was so confused since North Dakota is nowhere near the West Coast, so how could WC states be next to it. Yeah, read it a few times and work at it and one can maybe figure out what they were going for. A better clue would be something like "Two West Coast states added to North Dakota form a 6-letter word for frankness."

Not surprised it was a TS.

Funny - I was only half paying attention and that was the only one I did get. Two west coast state abbreviations, with ND in the middle. I wasn’t thinking of the location of the actual state of ND. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I've seen Moana mentioned, but haven't paid attention to know the slightest thing about it, so I had no shot at FJ.  Trying to think of movies set in Tahiti only brought to mind Mutiny on the Bounty, and that certainly didn't fit with a 2016 initial release.  So I had no guess.

The only TS that surprised me were 3-D printing (I don't understand how it works, but I know what it looks like) and candor.

I loved that postal abbreviations category.

Edited by Bastet

I've seen Moana and really liked it, but I didn't get FJ. I'm not even sure I would have if they had specified that it was an animated movie.

The only TS I got was goalie, which was an educated guess.

• Love 1

Just stopping in to share my stupor over the fact that this may be the first time ever that I correctly answered FJ for a whole week. I’m enjoying it because it will never happen again!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I did not get last night's FJ, it was a total stumper for me, but tonight I thought FJ was really easy(the advantage of having Grandchildren, I guess 🙂

2 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Yes, they are the reason I see Disney movies!

I’ve always watched Disney/Pixar etc. movies whether I’ve had kids/grandkids or not, sometimes at the theatre and sometimes at home.  Have seen a few more with my granddaughter than I did before, though.

• Love 2

I am Pixar's bitch.  If they release a movie, chances are I'll be there the opening weekend (like this weekend, probably tomorrow, I'll go see Onward) if possible.  I missed the opening weekend of Brave because I was in Scotland, but I found a movie theater during my vacay in Maine to see Inside Out when it opened.

• Love 2

11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Jeopardy was ok for me but double Jeopardy was not, altho' I knew that TS for Burroughs--the adding machine (again, maybe contestants were too young to know?)  So glad Paul won again.

I have no idea how I got it. I'm old enough to know - but I didn't use adding machines much.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

No grandchildren for me, and I wouldn't have gotten FJ in a bill-zillion years, and me, a movie fan. When the answer was revealed, I was all, "Hey, that's no movie, it's a CARTOON."

I took a few seconds wondering about that. "Major Motion Picture" doesn't scream animated film to me. But then I went with Mauna, which I tried to watch but didn't quite make it through. I only watch animated films because my grown kids still love them - no grandchildren - and so I like to keep current. Some are excellent - I'm just not drawn to them.

9 hours ago, SHD said:

Just stopping in to share my stupor over the fact that this may be the first time ever that I correctly answered FJ for a whole week. I’m enjoying it because it will never happen again!

Me too! I was tense, because I knew this would be likely my one chance to get 5/5, and made a big to do when I got it right. 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Moana is one of my favorite films of the past decade, so that was an instaget. BTW, I highly recommend seeing it—great songs, gorgeous animation, fun characters, and a wonderfully empowering female lead who is not a princess despite what is said (“If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you’re a princess”).

The only TS I got was candor. Boo hiss.

• Love 3
On 3/7/2020 at 7:55 AM, Clanstarling said:

I only watch animated films because my grown kids still love them - no grandchildren - and so I like to keep current. Some are excellent - I'm just not drawn to them.

“Drawn” to animated films—I see what you did there...

• LOL 6
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

“Drawn” to animated films—I see what you did there...

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all season. 😁 Your name is spot on. 👌

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

I didn't get FJ.  I said Iran and Iraq.   I think of India as more Hindi, so I don't think I would have come up wth he correct answer in a million years.

No TSs for me.  Oddly enough I got the entire category of men correct.  

• Love 2

Kit Brown, obvs.

I managed to come up with FJ today in the knick of time.  I had to think about it a lot!  Not sure if I would have had enough time to write it down on the show, though.  

Good game tonight -- not too many TS.  I'm glad Paul won again, though.  The only TS I wrote down was Preamble.  I had just enough time looking at the photo of the license plates to see the first two (or three?) had an approximation of "We the people".

• LOL 1
25 minutes ago, ABay said:

Did the "read the entire category name for $x, please, Alex" woman say "Jerry Lewis" instead of "Jerry Lee Lewis"? That's what I heard.

That is what I heard also so I went to J!Archive and Jerry Lewis is what they have as an answer and boy is that WRONG! There is absolutely nothing alike with those two men!!!!!

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I wrote down was Preamble.  I had just enough time looking at the photo of the license plates to see the first two (or three?) had an approximation of "We the people".

I said Constitution.  I actually remember seeing a story about that when it was first done and how he actually had to apply to get license plates issued from each state.

• Useful 2

Well, technically his name is Jerry Lewis — more so than the “real” Jerry Lewis (Jerome Levitch)!

As for final, I got it right away. Then I started second-guessing myself, thinking surely Pakistan was first!  Somehow I always forget how big & populous Indonesia is! 

I remember a while back there was a clue about the 4th most populous country in the world — and it was Indonesia. So I’m thinking, ok, China, India...but who’s number 3?  Thought about it for a good long minute, then realized, “Duh! How about the USA?!”

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I didn't get FJ.  I said Iran and Iraq.   I think of India as more Hindi, so I don't think I would have come up wth he correct answer in a million years.

I also said Iran and Iraq for the same reason.

Wikipedia does, however, state that I was correct in thinking India is majority Hindu (~80% compared to ~14% Muslim). I guess India just has such a massive population that even the minority Muslim population is also quite sizeable.

• Love 5

I was trying to remember all the Trump-banned Muslim countries for FJ. India is not one of them, not surprisingly.

It was predicted on another fan site that Jerry Lewis not Jerry Lee Lewis was going to catch a lot of heat. It hoped the show's PR team was up to fielding the fire.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Jerry Lewis is what they have as an answer and boy is that WRONG! There is absolutely nothing alike with those two men!!!!!

Well, technically his name is Jerry Lewis — more so than the “real” Jerry Lewis (Jerome Levitch)!

It was predicted on another fan site that Jerry Lewis not Jerry Lee Lewis was going to catch a lot of heat. It hoped the show's PR team was up to fielding the fire.

I wondered about this too. I know Jerry Lewis and Jerry Lee Lewis are two totally different guys, but if you're allowed to give less than the full name and you don't add extraneous information that makes the answer wrong, you're safe.

I was more annoyed by "Brown" for "Dan Brown," Look at all these other authors named Brown!

• Love 2

When I was second-guessing myself on FJ, thinking that Pakistan might actually be first, I wondered if it could be India & Bangladesh?  Then immediately dismissed it as “no, can’t be — Bangladesh is too small!”  Well, it is. And it’s also 4th on the list!  And 8th most populous in the world!  About 90th on the list by land area & 8th by population — one of the most densely populated countries in the world.

Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Nigeria...then Egypt & Iran.  Who knew!

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The clue was "In 2006 a British high court ruled this author was not guilty of plagiarism in "The Da Vinci Code"

There is no other author named Brown who wrote The Da Vinci Code.

I understand. But there are times when they aren't consistent about demanding the full name. I remember one game a few years back (no, not that one) where they mentioned a president and the answer was John F. Kennedy. The contestant just said "Kennedy" and got a BMS. While there have been many Kennedys in politics, there has only been one President Kennedy.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The clue was "In 2006 a British high court ruled this author was not guilty of plagiarism in "The Da Vinci Code"

There is no other author named Brown who wrote The Da Vinci Code.

Well, sure, but you could say that about every clue where they ask for a first name.  There's no other President named Roosevelt that was a rough Rider.  And no other president named Johnson that was impeached, and no other President named Harrison who died in office. They still ask for first names on those.

• Love 2