Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I went with Kennedy, since media had a big influence on his election. Oh well.

That's a good bad guess. 🙂

I liked the author fill ins. I got all but two. The first was because I didn't understand the category, the second because I have never heard of Bryce Harper.

I've never heard of him (her?) either. Googling... He's a baseball player for the Phillies. Also, a couple of weeks ago he made the news when he said, re the coronavirus, "I live, man. I don't worry about a disease or a virus. I live my life. I'm doing everything the same. I'm shaking people's hands, I'm high-fiving. I'm healthy. I'm 27. The people that are affected, it's a lot of older and maybe some young, as well. But I just live my life."

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

That's a good bad guess. 🙂

I've never heard of him (her?) either. Googling... He's a baseball player for the Phillies. Also, a couple of weeks ago he made the news when he said, re the coronavirus, "I live, man. I don't worry about a disease or a virus. I live my life. I'm doing everything the same. I'm shaking people's hands, I'm high-fiving. I'm healthy. I'm 27. The people that are affected, it's a lot of older and maybe some young, as well. But I just live my life."

Another great role model from the world of professional sports.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Wow, Susan really did not get the premise of the before & after authors category. I've never heard of Bryce Harper but still got to the answer. And I laughed at loud at Upton Sinclair Lewis Carroll.

It seems like there have been far too many games lately where they don't clear the board and one wonders how these people got enough right on the test to get on the show.

• Love 4

I got FJ right.  Yay.

I got the TS of Lafayette, Iraq, subtext, Mobile, and CS Lewis.

I got the entire categories of 7 letter words and bandits right.

I haven't decided how I feel about the proposal.

18 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ right.  Yay.

I got the TS of Lafayette, Iraq, subtext, Mobile, and CS Lewis.

I got the entire categories of 7 letter words and bandits right.

I haven't decided how I feel about the proposal.

Psst:  It's Saturday and you're watching a re-run from last season.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

On two occasions Susan guessed the exact same thing that the person right before her wrongly guessed. I couldn't STAND her. I also couldn't believe two people separately missed "vici."

I tried not to judge her unfairly for her voice, but I'm not sad that she lost. New champ is OK by me, but I too predict she will be a one and done.

In FJ, I wavered for a long time before settling on Truman. I wondered if he was too early. I thought Eisenhower was too obvious and Kennedy was too late.

• Love 1

I could have sat here all night and never come up with FJ.  I had absolutely no clue.

Pretty good game, though -- maybe just compared to Friday's, but it didn't seem like there were nearly as many TS.  Ones I did get include cassowary, Mississippi, Miami Vice Principals, Bobby Kennedy, and Nixon.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I could have sat here all night and never come up with FJ.  I had absolutely no clue.

His picture did come to me, I just couldn't come up with a name. He's the one in a trench coat, right?

• Love 2

I was so close on FJ, but all I could come up with was Gruff McGraw.  I knew it wasn't right, but, just couldn't get it out.

I got the TS of LUke, Robert Kennedy, Walter Mondale, Nixon and Nelson Rockefeller.   got the entire categories of four and VP Quotes, along with the partial category of 20th century books right.

1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

His picture did come to me, I just couldn't come up with a name. He's the one in a trench coat, right?

Yep.  He takes a bite out of crime.

• Love 3

All I could think of was the Energizer Bunny but he didn't have anything to do with murders. But I did get some TS: Robt Kennedy, Walter Mondale and Nelson Rockefeller plus the DD stumper VP Nixon (wasn't that when he went to Moscow for the Kitchen debate or whatever it was called?) I like the new champ.

• Love 1

FJ=instaget.

Okay, it took me a few seconds, and I wasn't completely convinced I was right, but nothing else came to mind.

I also got Miami Vice Principals and Mondale.

18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I like the new champ.

As do I, which means he's doomed!

• Love 1

Robert Kennedy as a TS really surprised me (and hurt my heart a little).

I had never heard of McGruff. I just assumed he wasn't in Canada, but google tells me he is - with a focus on missing children.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Ones I did get include cassowary

Cassowary was a clue/answer not so long ago. Its picture was shown then too. I believe Trebek even commented then that the cone thing on its head is the give away.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I was so close on FJ, but all I could come up with was Gruff McGraw. 

Tug's brother.

Another easy Monday FJ for me. Although if this follows tradition, it will be my only FJ for the week. I guess its the one good thing about Mondays at the moment.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

The Mississippi TS was a bit surprising.  The Robert Kennedy TS was shocking (and depressing).

Yikes, I had a terrible first round; I missed several each in the golf and art categories, two in the Fours category, and one of the birds.  Thankfully, I did better in DJ; I didn't know two of the TV Before and After clues as I don't know anything about any of the four shows, and had never heard of the Fyre Festival, but I got everything else.  And I got FJ; all I could initially come up with was "that 'take a bite out of crime' dog in a trench coat", but his name eventually came to me. 

I, of course, enjoyed saying Aaron Burr as if I had a mouth full of peanut butter.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I, of course, enjoyed saying Aaron Burr as if I had a mouth full of peanut butter.

That Got Milk commercial is permanently in my brain. I say it the same way too.

Did anyone else think that the new champ, Kyle, sounds quite a bit like Mayor Pete? 

• Love 2

I managed to drag McGruff out of my mind, with a side trip to Smokey the Bear (too old, and not the right one). I thought I'd have to add something to the name though (McGruff the crime dog?) but since I couldn't think of it, I just left it at McGruff.

Yeah, swapping JFK for RFK was not just depressing regarding Bobby, but JFK as well.

I think I did fairly well overall - though the hubs aced the golf stuff before I could (as if I could 😄).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I managed to drag McGruff out of my mind, with a side trip to Smokey the Bear (too old, and not the right one). I thought I'd have to add something to the name though (McGruff the crime dog?) but since I couldn't think of it, I just left it at McGruff.

Yeah, swapping JFK for RFK was not just depressing regarding Bobby, but JFK as well.

I think I did fairly well overall - though the hubs aced the golf stuff before I could (as if I could 😄).

Just Smokey Bear.  No "the"

I knew McGruff, thought that was easy.  He helps "take a bite out of crime" (woof).  But then, of course, maybe for some of them it was, wait for it........BEFORE THEIR TIME!

The RKF answer I thought was pretty easy though I thought it could be Malcom X as well, didn't recall when he was killed. (it was 1965)  But I knew Kennedy was 1968, an election year.  Seriously though how do you come up with JFK but not think of RFK based on the year? 

Mondale another surprising one no one knew.  And Nixon. 

For Rockefeller all I could think was "the super rich guy who become VP!!"

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 3

Almost every single day, Jeopardy is preempted in my area to show news conference updates about coronavirus from all over my state. Is this happening to anyone else? I've noticed there aren't many posts here anymore. Sometimes I get to watch the episode, or at least Final Jeopardy because the news conferences end about 5 minutes before the episode ends.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Almost every single day, Jeopardy is preempted in my area to show news conference updates about coronavirus from all over my state. Is this happening to anyone else?

Our governor in Illinois has a daily press conference at 2:30 or 3, it has run over the hour or half hour time limit a few times to take out the first few categories on Jeopardy (which airs at 3:30 here) and once the local station cut away to cover a press conference by the police commissioner of Chicago. When this happens I just go to the Archive to read what I've missed.

So thankful for the archive.😍

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought I'd have to add something to the name though (McGruff the crime dog?) but since I couldn't think of it, I just left it at McGruff.

McGruff is enough. Score Monday as a You Got It for the FJ contest. So says Da Boss.

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I've noticed there aren't many posts here anymore.

Not feeling real chatty these days.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

All I could think of was the Energizer Bunny but he didn't have anything to do with murders.

Except some people wanted to murder him.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was afraid Kyle would say THE Invisible Man, which is another book.

Mondale another surprising one no one knew.  And Nixon. 

I kept drawing blanks on the VPs. 

I got cassowary, Miami Vice Principals, and Robert Kennedy. I said French Open & US Open but immediately knew that was tennis. I couldn't think of British.

I like Kyle.

• Love 2

Thanks to the Simpsons I will never forget Mondale :

Homer remembering the 1984 presidential debate "Where's the beef!!  No wonder he won Minnesota!"

Also when they go to Australia they are rescued and taken back to the USS Walter Mondale.  A laundry Ship. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2020 at 4:50 PM, Katy M said:

Sorry.  I have apparently lost track of the days.

So say we all. It seems impossible, but it's still March right now.

The RFK miss was shocking.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

So say we all. It seems impossible, but it's still March right now.

I went for a walk this morning.  I would say weatherwise it feels like March.  But, it feels like mid-March was about 3 months ago.  If we had a definite timeline to this whole thing, it would be so much easier to take.  But, possibly being more or less quarantined for a year and a half and then still not being able to go outside without severe risk is just too much for me to take.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Me too. I was relieved when he didn't - even though I wasn't particularly pulling for him.

5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Almost every single day, Jeopardy is preempted in my area to show news conference updates about coronavirus from all over my state. Is this happening to anyone else? I've noticed there aren't many posts here anymore. Sometimes I get to watch the episode, or at least Final Jeopardy because the news conferences end about 5 minutes before the episode ends.

Not happening here on the left coast, thank goodness. Not sure when the updates air out here. I read the news, don't watch it. Much better for my blood pressure (which is hanging in there).

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

McGruff is enough. Score Monday as a You Got It for the FJ contest. So says Da Boss.

Not feeling real chatty these days.

Thanks boss. I find myself making the effort to contact friends and family across the country (and world) to keep up with what's going on with them. It helps me a little, even though I worry about them.

27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I went for a walk this morning.  I would say weatherwise it feels like March.  But, it feels like mid-March was about 3 months ago.  If we had a definite timeline to this whole thing, it would be so much easier to take.  But, possibly being more or less quarantined for a year and a half and then still not being able to go outside without severe risk is just too much for me to take.

The indefinite timeline is hard, especially since my family in other countries where this started earlier are still under strict quarantine, so I extrapolate out a bit longer than the powers that be want to think. I'm not sure how comfortable I'll feel when we finally get the go-ahead to go back to "normal."  I'm fortunate though, I can work from home.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

They've never penalized for an added or omitted article at the beginning (but not the middle) of a title.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Katy M said:

They've never penalized for an added or omitted article at the beginning (but not the middle) of a title.

Unless it's the real and proper name of another quite different book or movie.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Unless it's the real and proper name of another quite different book or movie.

As any contestant who's lost money on "The Unforgiven" instead of "Unforgiven" can attest.

• Love 4

I had to think for a second about FJ to make sure I knew whether they wanted the place in the UK or the place in the US.  Once I knew that, it was an instaget.

I mostly listened tonight, but did write down several TS that I got, including The Show, Grand Ole Opry, Sears, San Francisco, extradition, and Georgia.  I shouldn't have been, but I was a little surprised they couldn't get San Francisco with a photo of the Coit Tower.  The Sears miss surprised me, too.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, lb60 said:

Ugh! I hate when I'm right.

Disappointed in you, Kyle.

19 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Did anyone else think that the new champ, Kyle, sounds quite a bit like Mayor Pete? 

Yes. I also thought they looked enough alike that they could be related.

My initial thought for FJ was Jersey. Then, I re-read and realized my comprehension skills suck. I eventually made it to the right state.

I also got Sears and San Francisco. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, lb60 said:

FJ=instaget.

Okay, it took me a few seconds, and I wasn't completely convinced I was right, but nothing else came to mind.

I also got Miami Vice Principals and Mondale.

LB60: you were so right 😧

Aw geez...the new champ. Why aren't I thrilled? For some reason, I liked the two men. I guess it's really about the contestants' personalities, not their  gender.  Uh-oh...I scribbled one TS & can't read it (Albiu??) But the other TS was easily San Francisco.  It's tough trying to keep up with clues  and answers--my script is bad enough already. Alex seemed to be enjoying  himself tonight and that is good 😊

And so, we welcome a new champion to Jeopardy. Hmmmm. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

When none of them got "The Show", I figured they hadn't seen the movie Bull Durham. We watched it again recently on TCM. I love it, and had forgotten how good it was.

That's where I got it from!  I haven't seen Moneyball, but I loved Bull Durham.  Fun fact, I was in grad school in Raleigh, NC when/where they filmed parts of Bull Durham.  We weren't associated directly with the movie, but on more than one occasion, I did sit in the same seat in Mitch's Tavern that Kevin Costner sat in.  So my butt is one degree of separation from Kevin Costner's butt.

Edited by Browncoat
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did sit in the same seat in Mitch's Tavern that Kevin Costner sat in.  So my butt is one degree of separation from Kevin Costner's butt.

And since I sort of know you, my butt is now two degrees of separation from my dreamboat-on-a-horse's butt. You've made my day. Thank you.

I also got The Show, being just a general fan of baseball overall.

Grand Ole Opry was easy since I've been to the Opry when it was the real Opry, at the Ryman. It was a great show, and I do love me some Goo Goo Clusters.

When the radio call letters came up, I was sure either WLS or WGN would be one. Or both. I used to listen to WLS non-stop, before it went all crazy-ass far right-wing controversial. Now WGN is my station. So I knew The World's Largest Store is Sears. And The World's Greatest Newspaper is the Chicago Tribune, if anyone asks. Side note: The Sears Tower, sold and renamed Willis Tower, has been sold again. So far no one knows if the name will be changed again, since almost everyone still calls the Willis the Sears, including me.

I also know the Coit Tower is in San Francisco, although yesterday's prediction about a FJ fail came true. I know ... not a surprise. The only coast of England I could think of was Dover. I would have left my answer blank if I had been on the show so you guys wouldn't all rank on me for my stupidity and how could I even make it onto the show if I'm such a dumbass.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2020 at 8:48 AM, ClareWalks said:

On two occasions Susan guessed the exact same thing that the person right before her wrongly guessed. I couldn't STAND her. I also couldn't believe two people separately missed "vici."

I blame Dan Brown.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

I realize that these were taped before weeks ago before events were being cancelled but I did still yell at the screen, “No, Alex baseball season is not just around the corner!” When he made that comment.

FJ was in IG.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3