Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Two female lawyers to root for - what to do?  I rooted for a tie.  I didn't get one, but it was a good game (other than the return of "Women Authors").  I was terrible in the comedy quotes category (and I rolled my eyes at myself that the one I knew was Bring It On -- I hate that movie!) so not a great game for me.

Eyepiece, rye, lavash (I figured at least Katy would know; it's pretty common in L.A.), "laugh, and the world laughts with you", overshoes (outdated term, and it stumped me, too, but with "over" spotted, one of us should have got it!), and hopper were all mildly surprising TS, but no head-scratchers. 

I'm mildly surprised by FJ being one as well, just because they were spotted Chile and a woman, and Allende is the only author who fits the bill they ever ask about on this show - I'd have figured one would have come across (and retained) that in their preparation.  It's interesting that the two who guessed went with female politicians who've written books, rather than women for whom writing is their primary profession.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

I said Condoleezza Rice.

So did I. I first thought Allende, but because of 9/11, I changed to Rice. And then I thought, No, she wouldn't have written her memoir in 2003.

Also, the clue didn't say the author was Chilean. It said a coup in Chile figured prominently in her memoir. 

Anywho, I got eyepiece, rye, laugh and the world laughs with you, and overshoes. 

Hearing that Michael Scott bit about shooting Toby twice made me roar with laughter. 

Question: In the clue about Prada, it said, "The devil's in the details." Was this some kind of hint?

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I couldn’t think of another woman that had any connection to 9/11. I still don’t even know how Allende relates to that?

I had to look up the latter, as I knew "the other 9/11" was the 1973 coup in Chile that took out President Allende, so Isabel Allende was the author in question, but haven't read the book to know what she wrote about the 2001 terrorist attacks. 

Basically, her memoir talks about life in exile and compares those two historic September 11ths - the one in 1973 when her family, after President Allende (her father's cousin) was killed in the CIA-backed coup that put Pinochet in power, had to flee Chile, and the one in 2001, when terrorists attacked the country she now called home.  She writes about how in the first one she lost her country, and in the second she gained one -- she finally felt like Americans understood/related to so much of the rest of the world, in being vulnerable to terrorism, an intense bond.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Amazingly, and probably because of "Chile" in the clue, I correctly guessed (and it was a total guess) FJ tonight!  I was shocked, shocked, I tell you, to find that I was right.  And it was an asterisk to boot.  Good for me!

I was stunned that I got it right. I'm only dimly aware of Allende as an author.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

So did I. I first thought Allende, but because of 9/11, I changed to Rice. And then I thought, No, she wouldn't have written her memoir in 2003.

Also, the clue didn't say the author was Chilean. It said a coup in Chile figured prominently in her memoir.

I briefly thought that it might be a woman connected with the State Department or DC - both events would be important to them (Hillary and Condie came to mind, but the date was wrong). Somehow my mind dredged up Allende. I wasn't even sure her name was Isabel - but I said it anyway. My husband was very impressed - he'd never heard of her.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:
12 hours ago, opus said:

Over in quotation marks I believe.

"And you all know what that means" (tm Alex)

Because it has been many years since anyone watched Jeopardy for the first time, eh Alex?  Maybe he's right.

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

lavash (I figured at least Katy would know; i

I did not know😀

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Yes, they were referring to the movie "The Devil wears Prada".

I wish I had caught that.  I think that's the clue I said Gucci.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:28 PM, Clanstarling said:

Yep. Then again there are towns in Oregon named Drain and Boring. 😆

There's a place in SK named Climax which always made me giggle... almost as much as I laughed at a friend's address - she lived on "Athol" Street in Regina. Then there was Biggar, a small place in Northern SK... their sign said, "xxx might be big, but we're Biggar!" In Ontario, we have Balls Falls and Crotch Lake. Not sure if they're connected. LOL

The winner, however, has to be Dildo, Newfoundland. Yep. They have a unique sense of humour in NF.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I mailed a postcard from Odd, West Virginia, but it was postmarked "Charleston."  Bummer.

Did you mail it inside the PO? Otherwise, it goes to the next big town to be postmarked.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I'm sad so many of you aren't familiar with Isabel Allende. She's definitely an offbeat writer but I enjoy her books. She was an instaget for me. 

If my library were open, I think I'd reread her stuff 😞 

No reason to be sad for me, I'll like who I like and you like who you like.

Most libraries have e versions of books you can download to your devices. Amazon currently has free books for trying their Audible product.

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  It was not before my time, although I had to beg to stay up to watch it, because it was before my bedtime.  

Vikram was getting on my nerves, speaking up before Alex called on him.  Glad he didn't win.  Not to mention pronouncing the "g" in gnash, and using a hard "g" in Gila monster.  But maybe he'd only seen those words in print and had never heard them pronounced before.

As for TS, I only got lobster, Vermont and New York, and claw.  I may or may not have missed a clue or two when I shouted, "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I got the TS of lobster, Horation Nelson, VT & NY, and Florida.

I got the entire categires of anarammed reptiles, how to win, bridge states and labors of love right.

Good night for me.

I also got FJ right.  At first I thought it might be Candid Camera.

Edited by Katy M

I strongly object to Annapolis being accepted for the answer to this clue.

The U.S. Trophy Flag Collection at this Maryland military academy has many captured foreign flags, though we gave some back

The answer is the US Naval Academy located IN Annapolis. It is not the Annapolis Military Academy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  It was not before my time, although I had to beg to stay up to watch it, because it was before my bedtime.  

As for TS, I only got lobster, Vermont and New York, and claw.  I may or may not have missed a clue or two when I shouted, "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

I love that they referenced Monty Python in the clue!

I thought there were a lot of good guesses for FJ. Could’ve just as easily have been Maude, Good Times, or The Jeffersons.

• Love 2

Starting Monday off right with a correct FJ. It eases the pressure for the rest of the week, knowing it won't be a giant goose egg.

I also got lobster and Florida.

9 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Intercourse, PA which is in Lancaster county. Got to love those Amish!!!

Not to mention Blue Ball, Bird-in-Hand, Fertility, Paradise, and Leacock Township. Those crazy Amish!

36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Vikram was getting on my nerves, speaking up before Alex called on him.  Glad he didn't win.  Not to mention pronouncing the "g" in gnash, and using a hard "g" in Gila monster.  But maybe he'd only seen those words in print and had never heard them pronounced before.

He was super annoying. 

4 minutes ago, SHD said:

I thought there were a lot of good guesses for FJ. Could’ve just as easily have been Maude, Good Times, or The Jeffersons.

I considered Maude and Good Times, before going with the correct answer.

• Love 5
On 3/20/2020 at 12:28 PM, Clanstarling said:

Yep. Then again there are towns in Oregon named Drain and Boring. 😆

Not to mention Wankers Corner.

(Happily, they sell tee shirts, beer mugs etc; great souvenirs for visiting British family and friends.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Not to mention pronouncing the "g" in gnash, and using a hard "g" in Gila monster.  But maybe he'd only seen those words in print and had never heard them pronounced before.

That's me with gila monster - I've only ever seen it written, and the few times I have, I've read it as a hard G. 

I didn't get that one or the game milles bornes (never heard of it, and had to look up how to spell it) in the first round, and claw stumped me in DJ just as it did the contestants.  But FJ was an instaguess that I felt confident in after running through a few other shows to make sure, so it was a very good game for me overall.

And a very good game for Michelle.

Lobster was a surprising TS.  The Gulfstream TS surprised me a little, too, with G spotted in the clue.

Vikram did not come across well; whenever he answered or selected a clue, he always sounded like he was being forced to be there and it was a big imposition on his life. 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Vikram did not come across well; whenever he answered or selected a clue, he always sounded like he was being forced to be there and it was a big imposition on his life. 

I too got that impression. I assume he didn't really feel that way.

The only TS I got was lobster. I did get FJ. 

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't get that one or the game milles bornes

I love that game!! We got a set when the kids were really young and played it all the time. I found it a couple of years ago when I was in the drug store and bought it....a HIT...so we are playing it again like old times and this time I am old while playing it!!😉

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of lobster, Horation Nelson, VT & NY, and Florida.

I missed VT & NY (par for course for me when it comes to that area). Lobster was easy because lobster thermador was what I had the first time I had lobster -  on a first date when I was 18. The guy was nice, but wanted enough kids to have his own basketball team, so nope.

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

Not to mention Wankers Corner.

(Happily, they sell tee shirts, beer mugs etc; great souvenirs for visiting British family and friends.)

They must not have a sign on I-5. I would have noticed that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't get that one or the game milles bornes (never heard of it, and had to look up how to spell it) in the first round, and claw stumped me in DJ just as it did the contestants. 

My family used the play Milles Bornes all the time and I almost always lost.  So, I started taking to trying to take down my dad instead of winning myself.  I'm a bad daughter.  I said nail for claw.  Guess I had sort of the right idea.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

We used to play Milles Bornes all the time!  I think our favorite part was yelling, “coup fourre!”

Yes, that is 100% the best part of playing.

• Love 2

I’ve never heard of milles bornes before this, either. Is it a board game or a card game?

The game we played as a kid that involved triumphant yelling was “Pit,” which was a card-based takeoff on stock floor trading. Iirc, you got to hit the bell when you got a winning hand.

The other big card game was Uno, which was first marketed in my home town of Joliet and became big there before almost anywhere else. We even had the first international Uno tournament in Joliet in the late ‘70s—me, my best friend and assorted family members all competed in it. 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

They must not have a sign on I-5. I would have noticed that.

Too small for a sign!  It's south of Lake Oswego, off I205 if you're ever craving some rude tchotkes.

23 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I’ve never heard of milles bornes before this, either. Is it a board game or a card game?

It's a card game, that sort of mimics a road trip/car race of 1000 miles.  You get cards for speeds and speed limits, flat tires and tire repair, and I don't remember what else.  It's been ages since I played, so the details are a little fuzzy.  

29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It's a card game, that sort of mimics a road trip/car race of 1000 miles.  You get cards for speeds and speed limits, flat tires and tire repair, and I don't remember what else.  It's been ages since I played, so the details are a little fuzzy.  

Empty gas tanks.  Extra points for a "safe trip" when you don't use any 200 mile cards.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I swear I thought they had this same question before at some point on this show about Sue Grafton

Do you have the Jeopardy calendar? There have been several times when a slightly re-worded question shows up on both. Especially around holidays. I sometimes get an answer right watching the show because I learned it from the calendar.

47 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I swear I thought they had this same question before at some point on this show about Sue Grafton

This was FJ question 13, week 3, of season 35:

Category: Authors. After this woman’s death, her daughter wrote, “As far as we in the family are concerned, the alphabet now ends at Y.” Answer: Sue Grafton

I've also seen it in the J6 clues, plus during regular categories on the board, not just FJ.

On ‎03‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 9:19 PM, saber5055 said:

Okay Boomer.

Hey now, I'm not a boomer.  I'm Gen X, thank you very much, and had hair similar to hers in the late 80s (different color but the cut is close).  I maintain it is stupid hair.  It was when I had it, and it still is.  I want to like her but I just can't.

• LOL 1
On ‎03‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 1:45 AM, biakbiak said:

Isabelle Allende was an IG as soon as they said 9/11/1973. It’s always interesting when you think something is so easy and just realize it just fits into your realm of knowledge.

I knew as soon as I saw "coup in Chile" in the clue for that category.  I guess none of the contestants read House of the Spirits.

On ‎03‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 10:52 AM, suebee12 said:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Intercourse, PA which is in Lancaster county. Got to love those Amish!!! And a popular town in FL is Christmas.

Shops in Lancaster County used to sell t-shirts saying "I got kissed between Intercourse and Paradise" because those towns were very close to each other.  Don't know if they still do.

On ‎03‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 2:14 PM, dgpolo said:

Most libraries have e versions of books you can download to your devices. Amazon currently has free books for trying their Audible product.

I don't have devices for downloads other than my computer, and I hate reading books on the computer.  I'm waiting impatiently for my local library to reopen.  And reading a couple of things I have on hand.

18 hours ago, SHD said:

Just looked the game up.  I knew the answer right away, although Good Times, Maude and The Jeffersons all would've been good guesses.  Fawlty Towers, not so much.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
18 hours ago, SHD said:

Just looked the game up.  I knew the answer right away, although Good Times, Maude and The Jeffersons all would've been good guesses.  Fawlty Towers, not so much.

Maude, Good Times and The Jeffersons were all spin-offs (Maude and The Jeffersons from All in the Family, Good Times from Maude) I would expect the 'warning' to come with the 'original' show. All in the Family.

• Love 1