Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought St Francis needed  "of Assissi".

Given Alex's hesitation before he accepted the answer, I suspect they originally expected the whole thing but Alex was given the go ahead to accept just St Francis.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Brookside said:

Given Alex's hesitation before he accepted the answer, I suspect they originally expected the whole thing but Alex was given the go ahead to accept just St Francis.

I think they needed the whole title "St. Francis of Assisi", there are other "St.Francis's" in the Catholic church(one being St. Francis deChantal)

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:
3 hours ago, Brookside said:

I think they needed the whole title "St. Francis of Assisi", there are other "St.Francis's" in the Catholic church(one being St. Francis deChantal)

This is another answer that you could say the question narrows the answer to one unique person, not saying that is right but it seems that is the way they are going these days. The question was: He's the patron Saint of animals and of Italy. Francis is the only answer that is correct, Francis of Assisi is more correct. Frances would not be correct as she is a female.

• Love 1

I got 2/3 of FJ, but that doesn't count.  At least I knew it wasn't Ecuador:)

I got the TS of Taylor Swift (which was the first q I got right, I was beginning to get  a bit worried), Marshall, jelly beans, booster rocket, and Larry McMurtrey.

I got the entire category of oo sorry and the partial category of World Book facts right. 

I did much better in DJ than I did in the first round.

• Love 2

I thought FJ was tough tonight -- I got Mexico and Belize right away, but really had to think about the third one.  Costa Rica was my first thought, but I knew it was wrong.  I finally did come up with Guatemala before the music stopped, but I'm not sure I'd have had enough time to write it down.  Ruling from the judges, please, @saber5055!  If allowed, give me an asterisk, too!

I pre-called jelly beans for the Presidential Sweet category.  I also got Marshall.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

Susan’s voice...I just can’t. 

I thought I was listening to an interview with a Masked Singer contestant. 

36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I thought FJ was tough tonight -- I got Mexico and Belize right away, but really had to think about the third one.  Costa Rica was my first thought, but I knew it was wrong.  I finally did come up with Guatemala before the music stopped, but I'm not sure I'd have had enough time to write it down. 

I knew it was Mexico and Belize, but I was debating between Honduras and Guatemala. 

• LOL 1
34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Ruling from the judges, please, @saber5055!  If allowed, give me an asterisk, too!

The asterisk is yours @Browncoat. I don't adhere to show time limits given I look up the FJ category on TJF in early morning and think of my answer as I scroll down to see if I am correct. I don't time it. And sometimes I stop to do something else before I see the answer. Goose and gander!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Susan has the voice she was born with. As long as it's not an affectation, it's all good for me.

I was more concerned about the guy whose tie was inexplicably outside his suit jacket. Now that’s something you have some control over. 

• Love 4

Yikes, I thought this was going to be another terrible game for me -- in the first round, I couldn't get Adler (Planetarium) or avast from my brain to my mouth, and didn't know two of the singers, and I usually do worse in DJ.  But I only missed one of the angels and the voice of Marge Simpson.  And I knew FJ (I semi-regularly quiz myself on geography for fun), so it wound up being a decent one.

And a good game for the contestants, other than the clues left uncovered.  I was a little surprised by the marshal TS, and that neither of the other two picked up on Adam's mistake in the Transit Bureau clue, but that's it.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Susan has the voice she was born with. As long as it's not an affectation, it's all good for me.

People have some control over the pitch of their voices.  After I first heard a recording of my voice, I tried hard to lower the pitch.  I couldn't lower it as much as I wanted, but it did improve and seems to be a habit now.

• Love 6
Just now, peeayebee said:

I confused Larry McMurtry with Cormac McCarthy.

I love Larry McMurtry and have read all of his books. I missed the show today so I need to check out the archive. There are always good categories/clues for me when I miss the show.

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

And yet people complain about other people's voices, assuming, I guess, that theirs are vocal affectations.  I'm sorry, but Susan uptalked ever single sentence last night, and her voice is annoying as hell, regardless of whether or not it's natural.  She can't be gone soon enough for me.

I had an interesting experience Wednesday night.  I've gotten used to being sort of a minor celebrity at the courthouse where I work because I was on Jeopardy, but I've never been asked for my autograph before.  Wednesday, my pizza was delivered just as Jeopardy was starting and I got into a conversation with the delivery driver about it.  When he found out that I'd been on the show, he told me it was his birthday and asked me to sign his birthday card.  It was flattering, if a little weird.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On ‎03‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:28 PM, Bastet said:

No one knew distributor cap or brake shoes?  I guess I should stop being surprised by how little people know about cars, but damn.

I was like the one contestant who tried to make rotors an article of clothing.  I've heard of brake shoes, but didn't think of them, and I haven't heard anyone talk about distributor caps in years, and wouldn't have known where in the engine they go anyway.  I'm not really a car person.

On ‎03‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 11:27 PM, peeayebee said:

For TSs: heart stopping, cap, Sonora(n), answering machine, and Toscanini. I did say Sonora instead of Sonoran. Not sure if I would have been ruled correct, but I'm saying I was. So there.

I didn't know cap or answering machine, but did get the others, assuming of course that Sonora would be acceptable.

I called the Brady Bill when I saw the category, but got Lend-Lease right away.

17 hours ago, dgpolo said:

This is another answer that you could say the question narrows the answer to one unique person, not saying that is right but it seems that is the way they are going these days. The question was: He's the patron Saint of animals and of Italy. Francis is the only answer that is correct, Francis of Assisi is more correct. Frances would not be correct as she is a female.

The fact that there are other St. Francises (?) who don't fit the clue is exactly the reason they shouldn't have accepted it without the "of Assisi".  Or at least asked for more, if that was in the first round.  I know they do crap like that all the time, but it really annoys me.  I mean, just because only one Wyeth painted Christina's World doesn't mean that they should've accepted "Wyeth" as the answer without requiring the first name.  Which of course they did.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got 2/3 of FJ, but that doesn't count.  At least I knew it wasn't Ecuador:)

It was an instaget for me.  I did a project on Belize in middle school, or, as it was then known, British Honduras.  (Yes, I'm old.)  The answers of Ecuador and Panama surprised me - I guess even smart people are ill-informed about Central & South American geography.  I get a little confused about which C.A. country is on which coast, but I do know Panama is at the bottom and Ecuador is in South America.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

got the TS of Taylor Swift (which was the first q I got right, I was beginning to get  a bit worried), Marshall, jelly beans, booster rocket, and Larry McMurtrey.

I got all of those except McMurtry.  I said Cormac McCarthy.  I was surprised no one knew Taylor Swift.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yikes, I thought this was going to be another terrible game for me -- in the first round, I couldn't get Adler (Planetarium) or avast from my brain to my mouth, and didn't know two of the singers, and I usually do worse in DJ.

I did quite badly in the Chicago category.  I missed them all except windy city.  I don't know much about Chicago, apparently.

2 minutes ago, ABay said:

I object to Alex saying pads are not items of clothing! The 1980s were not before his time so he should remember shoulder pads.

That's why I ended up saying pads.  I remember 80s fashion well. <shudder>

• Love 2

I swept the Presidential sweets category - I guess that is an area of expertise (sweets, not Presidents), though I'm using this period of self-isolation to wean myself off of them.

20 minutes ago, ABay said:

I object to Alex saying pads are not items of clothing! The 1980s were not before his time so he should remember shoulder pads.

Shoulder pads are (or were) in clothes, but I'm not sure I'd call them articles of clothing on their own.  I mean, zippers are in clothes too, but you wouldn't call them articles of clothing, would you?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I kept waiting for fender skirt to show up. Didn't get brake shoes, but got all the rest.

Because I play jetpunk.com's "Countries of the World," I got FJ easily.  (I know all 196 countries now, and play to try to beat my best time.)

Holy moly, I just took a look at the site. It's a Jeopardy dream, and a good way to while away the time and feel okay about it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Because I play jetpunk.com's "Countries of the World," I got FJ easily.  (I know all 196 countries now, and play to try to beat my best time.)

Good to know I'm not the only one... I'm a jetpunk junkie.

• Love 2

I got FJ.  

I got the TS of Y, Andrew Carnegie, and California.  OK, two of those were missed DDs.

I got the entire category of strike and partial category of demography right.  

Pretty good night.

• Love 1

OMG the game tonight.  When the players almost spend more time in the red than on the plus side?  Crazy.

That said, I waffled on FJ, and ended up with Eisenhower as well.  No asterisk for me tonight!  I knew, though, as soon as I saw the category, that I didn't stand a chance.

Lots of TS tonight, too.  I got Virginia, DNA, Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe, "Veni, vidi, vici", General Dynamics, Harper Lee, and James Joyce.  

Matt reminded me of the Geico caveman.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

That.

Was.

Not.

Good!

I also said Eisenhower. I did get DNA, General Dynamics, Harper Lee, and James Joyce.

Last night, I got jelly beans and 1/3 of FJ (Mexico, the easiest one). 

10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I guess that is an area of expertise (sweets, not Presidents), though I'm using this period of self-isolation to wean myself off of them.

Crazy talk.

;-)

This is no time to give up sweets.

My friend gave up hard liquor for Lent and she's regretting it every day. lol

17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Matt reminded me of the Geico caveman.

I spent most of the game trying to decide if I thought he was good looking or not. I did not come to a decision.

I'm glad Susan is gone, but I do not like the new champ.

• Love 3

The new champ...I kind of enjoyed her saying things we were all thinking, like “This is a disaster” and “That’s what I just said” on the Latin phrase question. Didn’t enjoy her happy dance at the end. 

As everyone said, very weird game.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

Isn't there some kind of papal/archbishop of Canterbury dispensation in this kind of emergency?

Edited by Brookside
Autocorrect changed "theresome" (I missed the space) to threesome.
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Ouch, that game.  I was surprised it took them three tries to come up with Virginia, and it just went downhill from there.  I look forward to seeing Khalilah again, I just hope it's a better game.

The slider, DNA, Harper Lee, James Joyce, and Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe TS were the most surprising of the lot.

I missed a few clues, but I can't even remember which ones, I'm so befuddled by the game.

I correctly guessed FJ, but I wasn't entirely sure about it.

3 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I couldn't believe the Lohengrin/Wagner clue was worth $2,000.  And yet still nobody got it.

Khalilah got it right away.

1 hour ago, lb60 said:

image.thumb.png.e88008c790717d2094a80776ff2465c8.png

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Wow - that game was something.

Jeepers, that set a new record for bad games. Did you notice Alex's expression at the end? I laughed and made my husband back it up so he could see it.

12 hours ago, SeanC said:

Final I went with Eisenhower, but I figured it could also have been Truman (if adopted early) or Kennedy (if late-adopted).

I went with Kennedy, since media had a big influence on his election. Oh well.

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

I couldn't believe the Lohengrin/Wagner clue was worth $2,000.  And yet still nobody got it.

Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind, Lohengrin and Wagner are connected, it was an IG for me. I actually did pretty well in Opera. Except for Wagner, I think it must be all the Jeopardy I watch. LOL

I liked the author fill ins. I got all but two. The first was because I didn't understand the category, the second because I have never heard of Bryce Harper.

• Love 2

I like the new champ.... at least no mad clicking, no vocal fry, and her victory dance was no worse than Austin's smug flailing around. I have a feeling she'll be a one and done, though. 

• Love 2