Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I also said, "Poseidon" instead of "Neptune," which I think would have been ruled correct. (Whose trident is on the Barbados flag.)

Me too, and I just looked at Wikipedia to find this: The trident symbol was taken from Barbados' colonial badge, where the trident of Poseidon is shown with Britannia holding it.

So it looks like Poseidon is more correct than Neptune?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

Me too, and I just looked at Wikipedia to find this: The trident symbol was taken from Barbados' colonial badge, where the trident of Poseidon is shown with Britannia holding it.

So it looks like Poseidon is more correct than Neptune?

Yay! 'cause that's what I said.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I, too, proclaimed "Walking Stick" quite loudly.  I also said, "Poseidon" instead of "Neptune," which I think would have been ruled correct. (Whose trident is on the Barbados flag.)

And you can count me as one of those dismayed at the FJ category, only to find it easy-peasy.  LOL.

I did some preliminary (not comprehensive) checking and they might have ruled it correct. I said Poseidon too, so I have a stake in this. 😉

2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I am another whose brain shorted out trying to come up with “Robert Duvall.” All I could think was, “The guy who played Boo Radley!”

I thought of Tom Hagen in The Godfather, but my brain shorted out too.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

Me, too.   Google seems to say they are the same thing.   Like I said I didn't keep score tonight, but if I had, I would have given myself the points.  

I like the new champ.  

Me, too.  She's okay enough.

I also said walking stick.  I just spent time googling, which was a mistake because I hate bugs.

4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I also call that thing a walking stick. I did get Gorgons. Robert Duvall refused to come out of my mouth even though I could picture him perfectly and knew he was in Tender Mercies.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

17 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Wow, there were a lot of cool building that were torn down. How sad.

That hideous Brutalist building deserved to be torn down.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was amused by Jessica's name being Jessica Babbitt, reminding me of Jessica Rabbit. And they both have red hair.

Lol. Everyone in my house picked up on that too.

Didn’t really notice the vocal fry. I’ll have to listen for it tonight. Or on second thought, I’d probably be happier if I just didn’t notice. 

ETA. Alex has the same Jessica Rabbit problem 🙂

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

FJ was an instaget.

I got the TSs of tesla, locusts, 9-0, St. Louis, Greg Louganis, pike and Chihuahua

I got the entire categories of report cards and TV talk correct.

Yet, I couldn't think of the names EB White and Edgar Rice Burroughs to save my life.

• Love 3

Heh, Alex called her Jessica Rabbit.  But now we have to listen to her vocal fry another day.

Instaget FJ for me again tonight -- one of my favorite movies!  And, yes, Dick Van Dyke's accent was atrocious.  

Male writers!

I was sad that no one recognized Greg Louganis.  I remember watching him smack his head on the diving platform, and still executing a near-perfect dive.  He was a remarkable diver.  I also got pike, and was shouting Chihuahua at my television.  

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I got the TSs of tesla, locusts, 9-0, St. Louis, Greg Louganis, pike and Chihuahua

I got the entire categories of report cards and TV talk correct.

Yet, I couldn't think of the names EB White and Edgar Rice Burroughs to save my life.

I got the others, but I was misled by "Alex" in the Burroughs clue because of the opening lines of Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange:

'What's it going to be then, eh?'
     That was me, that is Alex, [emphasis mine] and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie and Dim...

• Love 1

Perhaps Greg Louganis wouldn't have been a TS if they didn't show an old-age photo of him. He looks a little different now. Side note: Louganis is very involved in dogs, and is best known for the Pembroke Welsh Corgi he showed at Westminster and also put a Best in Show on. He owns multiple purebred dogs and has written at least one book on dogs. Before and after ...

264258666_GregLouganisyoung.jpg.05a65a8ad5b026ae3616908a2c20a4b5.jpg

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

We've been schooled. No more grousing over Woman Author/Writer categories.

I've spent a whole lot of time in St. Louis, and never once have I heard that swimming and diving are so popular there. (as per Alex Trebek)

Milwaukee, West Bend and Fond du Lac, Wisconsin are in my back yard. Been to all of them more times than I can count. I always figured Fond du Lac meant "I like (fond of) lakes," not "bottom of the lake." Live and learn.

I felt badly for Waseem. I wish he could have stayed for FJ.

• Love 4

LOL at "Male Writers" finally showing up - and not as "Men Writers". 

The FJ clue made me laugh, too.

As did "This is Alex Rebeck, saying goodbye until tomorrow" after he messed up another name.

Martin Luther King, Jr. should have been the answer in the report cards category, not Martin Luther King.

And I think accepting something other than ratings for the Nielsen clue was overly generous.

I'm a bit surprised no one offered up 9-0 as a guess, and no one getting Greg Louganis really surprised me (especially with a picture; I'd have lost big betting on the fact the text alone would be plenty for at least one of them to know it).  But otherwise no eyebrows raised at the TS.

I pre-called steal and tales when the Anagrams of Least category was announced.  Of course the only two I missed in that first round were in the Bible category.  I missed a handful in DJ, but finished by getting FJ.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I've spent a whole lot of time in St. Louis, and never once have I heard that swimming and diving are so popular there. (as per Alex Trebek)

I kept asking myself, "Am I supposed to know that?"

The only TS I got was Greg Louganis. I almost got Easy Rawlins, but could only remember Rawlins.

TS was an instant Instaget.

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

As did "This is Alex Rebeck, saying goodbye until tomorrow" after he messed up another name.

I turned off the TV before this part, so I just played it back. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I kept asking myself, "Am I supposed to know that?"

The only TS I got was Greg Louganis. I almost got Easy Rawlins, but could only remember Rawlins.

TS was an instant Instaget.

Maybe at least that the 1904 Olympics was held in St. Louis (first Olympic Games in the US.) Diving made its Olympic debut at those games - in the previous Olympiads, Aquatics comprised swimming & water polo, but not diving.

Oh, there was also a World's Fair in St. Louis in 1904.  My grandparents, aged 11 & 9 that year, talked about going there a lot! Even 50-plus years later when I came along!

Oh, and we cracked up when Alex called her Jessica Rabbit!

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Oh, there was also a World's Fair in St. Louis in 1904.

Some of the 1904 World's Fair buildings remain in St. Louis' Forest Park, one in the zoo. Which reminded me that I very briefly dated one of the zoo's elephant trainers. Wow, good times tripping down Memory Lane.

• Love 3

How do you bet $4k in a diving category when you don’t know who Greg Louganis is and look flummoxed when your answer of Angler as one of the three type of dives is ruled incorrect and don’t appear to have heard pike as a diving term before! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

How do you bet $4k in a diving category when you don’t know who Greg Louganis is a a look flummoxed when your answer of Angler as one of the three type of dives is ruled incorrect and don’t appear to have heard pike as a diving term before! 

It's so funny.  I don't really know anything about diving.  I had no idea what Greg Louganis looks like, but he is the only diver whom I ever heard of.  Because of the whole banging his head on the diving board thing.  And, somehow, I knew pike, but I don't know how.  Knowing that the 1904 Olympics were held in St. Louis didn't really have anything to do with diving, so I got that one also.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wasn't sure if the reference was that swimming and diving are very popular in St. Louis in general, or that they were very popular at the Olympics when they were introduced in St. Louis.

11 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Oh, there was also a World's Fair in St. Louis in 1904.

I know that because my Mom watched the Judy Garland movie every time it was on TV when I was a kid...and I'll never get that song out of my head now!

• Love 4
20 hours ago, dcalley said:

Male Writers! Have we turned a corner?

I laughed, applauded, and then tanked after EB White (didn't even get the EB, but I was Jeopardy accurate)

20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Heh, Alex called her Jessica Rabbit.  But now we have to listen to her vocal fry another day.

Instaget FJ for me again tonight -- one of my favorite movies!  And, yes, Dick Van Dyke's accent was atrocious.  

Male writers!

I was sad that no one recognized Greg Louganis.  I remember watching him smack his head on the diving platform, and still executing a near-perfect dive.  He was a remarkable diver.  I also got pike, and was shouting Chihuahua at my television.  

I almost missed FJ, because we'd just finished watching a documentary with Michael Caine about the early 60's. Why I would think of him as apologizing for an atrocious accent that was actually his own accent, makes no sense whatsoever. Which is why I eventually got there in time.

I had no idea there was a Chihuahua desert, but I started thinking of areas with dog names in Mexico, and got there.

19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Perhaps Greg Louganis wouldn't have been a TS if they didn't show an old-age photo of him. He looks a little different now. Side note: Louganis is very involved in dogs, and is best known for the Pembroke Welsh Corgi he showed at Westminster and also put a Best in Show on. He owns multiple purebred dogs and has written at least one book on dogs. Before and after ...

I recognized him from the photo they showed. He's older, yes, but I think he still looks like his younger self.

17 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Oh, there was also a World's Fair in St. Louis in 1904.  My grandparents, aged 11 & 9 that year, talked about going there a lot! Even 50-plus years later when I came along!

And this was why I rejected St. Louis, because I knew about the World's Fair and didn't think it likely they'd have both the Olympics and World's Fair in the same place, in the same year. Live and learn.

Jessica Rabbit was funny, we had to back up the recording to listen to it again. I never absorbed her last name, so I was "what the heck?" LOL.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

I smugly replied Michael Caine to FJ!  I was stunned by how obvious DVD was for the answer and how the heck did I not get that??????  I replied Chicago for the 1904 Olympics.  How the heck did St. Louis pull off the World's Fair AND the Olympics????

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I smugly replied Michael Caine to FJ!

The only name I could come up with given the year was Rex Harrison, which was ridiculous given that he's British so wouldn't have to fake an accent. Of course, FJ answers are SO easy once they are revealed.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
41 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I smugly replied Michael Caine to FJ!

The only name I could come up with given the year was Rex Harrison, which was ridiculous given that he's British so wouldn't have to fake an accent. Of course, FJ answers are SO easy once they are revealed.

Michael Caine IS Cockney.

I believe Rex might have had problems with a cockney accent, as would Olivier who is the one I briefly considered. (I think I was thinking of the movie The Entertainer)

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The only name I could come up with given the year was Rex Harrison, which was ridiculous given that he's British so wouldn't have to fake an accent.

I also said Rex Harrison since My Fair Lady came out in the same year. Yes, he is British but I thought he might have been embarrassed by his Cockney accent. Mary Poppins did actually float through my mind but I didn't even think of Dick Van Dyke.

pipped by dgpolo

Edited by Trey
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

How the heck did St. Louis pull off the World's Fair AND the Olympics????

I've actually read that the Olympics were just sort of tacked onto the fair and weren't very popular. Wiki article here:1904 Summer Olympics

I read the info in a book a long time ago and don't remember the title so am using Wikipedia as a substitute, sorry.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was amused by the Jessica Rabbit thing.  And her voice sounds fine to me.  Some people just have higher pitched voices.

It sucked that none of them knew Greg Louganis.

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I should've gotten it for this exact reason but I drew a complete blank.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

That was funny.

2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Michael Caine IS Cockney.

Yep, but his was the only name I could think of, as in "well, it's NOT Michael Caine but I don't know who it is".  And then, of course, I should've known because I love that movie and love DVD in it, atrocious accent and all.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Had roommates in college who were on the Michigan diving team, so got all three clues that were revealed. FJ was an instaget. I figured Male Writers was a dig at us!

Or you could flip it and see it as an acknowledgment and (maybe, we'll see) capitulation. 🙂

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 3
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was so incredibly sad that this was a TS. The silence was awful. What an amazing athlete. 

• Love 2

I'm very sensitive to vocal fry, and Jessica doesn't bother me.

Sad that I didn't get FJ. Mary Poppins is my favorite movie. 1964 threw me off. I was 14, and being raised in a fundie family, we didn't go to the movies, because Satan himself ruled the evil Hollywood business. I must have seen it on tv the first time. I forget the movie is that old.

Well, today’s ep was taken over by Trump in Chicagoland, so I’ll have to wait to post until the wee-hours broadcast. I did finally watch Thursday’s show—I got Prince Charles, locusts, 9-0, Burroughs, Rawlins, St. Louis, Louganis, Pike, and FJ-Dick Van Dyke. I had a huuuuge crush on Greg Louganis back in the day, so he was an instaget. 

I didn't get FJ.  I said gull for lack of a better answer.  I hit myself in the head when the correct answer was revealed.  All I could think of for white was blanc or blanco. Forget about alba.

I got the TS of Gemini, jet propulsion, South Dakota, Louisiana, Martina Navritilova, Pele, George and Gracie, chortle, Pearl Buck, and horseback.

I got the entire category of Norman invasion, and the partial category of petal pushers.

Another instaget FJ!  I saw many of the black-browed variety on my trip to Antarctica!  They are gorgeous birds.  Actually, I was thrilled when the FJ category was birds, since I'm a birder!

What a terrible first round!  So many TS!  Ones I managed include Gemini, aerobatics, South Dakota, Navratilova, Pele, Michigan, George and Gracie, affluenza, and Pearl Buck.  I was shocked that no one got South Dakota, especially after North Dakota had been ruled out.  Also, if it's China, it's gotta be Pearl Buck, and if it's soccer, it's gotta be Pele.

I guess George and Gracie were before their time.  Say Goodnight, Gracie.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I’ve been watching, just haven’t been posting too much lately. I got a lot of the TS’s (9) and thought there were a lot of them in the first round. I had a laugh that Jennifer got sway as she was swaying. I got South Dakota because I watched the series Deadwood. I was also surprised that nobody knew Pearl Buck as she wrote so many novels based in China back then. Didn’t get FJ. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I guess George and Gracie were before their time.  Say Goodnight, Gracie.

Yup...another "before their time" TS. I was a little kid but loved those two. And Martina? I hope she wasn't watching. I was thrilled to get the jet propulsion TS cause I know very little re: engines. I think they filmed that category at the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space museum, out near Dulles airport. I love that place.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Actually, I was thrilled when the FJ category was birds, since I'm a birder!

Same here. Comics and Birds, two great FJ Saber categories this week.

As soon as I read "Black-footed" I said booby, then no, that's blue-footed, so I read the rest of the clue. I'm a fan of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and it's common for me to tell someone he is an albatross around my neck, so that answer was a given. I was thinking albatross was a video clue not long ago, but I might have this show mixed up with another.

Would jet engine be accepted for jet propulsion? Asking for a friend.

I've always wanted a Black Hills gold ring, so that TS was a given. South Dakota is one of the very few states I've never visited. Someday I will get my BH gold piece. Meanwhile, I have to be content with getting the Jeopardy Black Hills TS.

Got more TSs but quit writing after aerobatics, Pearl Buck, and George and Gracie.

"Good night Gracie."

• Love 4

Last night, I got tesla, Louganis, and pike. FJ was an instaget.

Tonight, I managed to get Navratilova, Pelé, and horseback. My brain would just not cooperate.

Growing up at the shore, my go to bird is the seagull (aka evil stealers of yummy boardwalk food). Then, I thought of osprey because we have them in the wetlands.Then, I thought of pelicans because I've spent a lot of time in Florida. Then, I smacked my head when the actual answer was revealed. I hate when I miss what I think of as a fairly easy FJ.

• LOL 2

Hand washing tip: Jeopardy "Think" music is two "verses" in 30 seconds.  One verse is 15.  For 20 seconds, go the point at which, if you were a contestant, you might realize "Even if I think of the answer now, I won't have time to write it."

• Useful 4
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

My friend came by to get toilet paper - since selfish jerks have ensured there aren't any in stores today - and we stood around chatting, so I missed the episode and had to read the archive.

Wow, lots of TS.  And most of them things I figured at least one contestant would get: Martina Navratilova, Pelé, Lou Gehrig, South Dakota, George & Gracie, Gemini, jet propulsion, aerobatics, The Lost Weekend, horseback, chortle, and Pearl S. Buck.

• Love 3