Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

For all his correction of other people's pronunciations, especially French, he made the obvious, English-speaker mistake of pronouncing the "v" sounds as English "v" sounds, versus the correct Latin "w" pronunciation.  It is too petty to point that out?

I too missed the beginning due to election non-coverage.  But it was a pretty good game for me.  

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

For all his correction of other people's pronunciations, especially French, he made the obvious, English-speaker mistake of pronouncing the "v" sounds as English "v" sounds, versus the correct Latin "w" pronunciation.  It is too petty to point that out? 

I've noticed that when Alex pronounces Latin, he uses the "church" pronunciation, which abandoned the "v's as w's" that we teach when we teach classical Latin. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I found it interesting that Bruce knew Lebron James’s hometown, but didn’t know how to pronounce it (ack-ron vs ackr’n). But I can’t really fault that, it just implies that he gets his knowledge from reading rather than listening. 

Another thing that's been in the news lately, positive news for once. I had no idea where LeBron was from, and probably paid attention to that news because I lived in Akron for a very short time.

11 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I ended up with Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee, Nicholas Nickleby, Talented Mr. Ripley, and FJ-Green Eggs and Ham. I knew all of the song titles, but not within the time allotted.

i did my final paper for my Victorian Lit class on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland so I got that one right off. (Still have that paper in my keepsakes bin 34 years later—one of my favorite papers from my English major.)

I wish I'd kept some of my papers. I moved around too much, so I tossed them at some point along the way. 😞

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't get Final Jeopardy, even with immediately knowing that "Ova" meant "Eggs."  Gosh, what children's book has "Eggs" in the title?  I can't think of any! 😕

I admit I was a little irritated that they described "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)" as a James Taylor song.  In my world, that will always be a Marvin Gaye song!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Ailianna said:

It is too petty to point that out?

This thread thrives on petty. You are fine.

While I didn't pay much attention, I did answer Nicholas Nickleby and Tweedle Dee/Dum. I can still picture them. They were imprinted on my child mind and still reside there.

tweedles.jpg.a30842676d04588e45d05d1d52a0d63a.jpg

Shout out to the lessons here on Labrador and Newfoundland. Interestingly, both have dog breeds named for them. Watching the recap of Westminster, the announcer (an AKC judge) said "new FOUND land" when that breed came into the ring, while the show onsite announcer said "NEWfunland," which is how dog people pronounce it.

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Marvin Gaye

Sittin' on the dock of the bay ...

• Love 1

Jeopardy was completely preempted here but aired at 2 am. Boy, am I tired! Nah, I recorded it.

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't get Final Jeopardy, even with immediately knowing that "Ova" meant "Eggs."  Gosh, what children's book has "Eggs" in the title?  I can't think of any! 😕

Exactly what I went thru. I gave a big ol' DOH when the answer was revealed. 

I got Philistine, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and The Talented Mr Ripley.

I couldn't go thru the lyrics fast enuf to get to Brass in Pocket. And I guessed Katy Perry for "I'm Just a Girl," though I should have known the right answer.

I liked both Mike and Kim. I would have been happy with either winning. I loved Kim's story about her dog being diagnosed with a tail-overuse injury. 🙂

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Gosh, what children's book has "Eggs" in the title?  I can't think of any!

Same here, since I didn't think "James and the Giant Egg" was a real book. But it's all I could come up with.

• LOL 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Sorry.  That was Otis Redding.

Thank you. Mercy mercy me, I am so losing more brain cells every day. What's going on?

I did hear the McDonald's Fillet-o-Fish singing on the radio this morning so the day isn't all bad. Maybe that's a sign of my dying brain cells, how sweet is that I could listen to that fish all day and more. Got to give it up to that fish ...

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

FJ was easy peasy.

I got the TSs o Nora Roberts, Farad, a god, and Coneheads (I thought that movie was a bit older than '92.)

I got the entire categories of garden and high water right.  I got the entire category of plays wrong, but there was only the one clue, so I wont' count that against me.

• Love 1

I know next to nothing about art, so I'm happy FJ was easy enough that even I got it right.

I also got refuse, The Process (being a Philly sports fan paid off on that one), Coneheads, and Al Franken.

I call foul on apex being accepted for apogee.  But I guess it didn't matter in the end.  

FJ was an instaget.  I was hoping Mike would manage another victory, but alas.  

TS I got include Proactiv, refuse, apogee, anther, Farad, Coneheads, and Al Franken.  Apparently the contestants tonight don't watch enough television -- Proactiv ads are on all the time!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Apparently the contestants tonight don't watch enough television -- Proactiv ads are on all the time!

I knew it once he said it, but I couldn't think of it for the life of me.  I read during commercials.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Same here. I could run the entire board if all the categories were SNL based.

Good one!  Me too (if they were 1975 through the Will Ferrell era).  Oh thank the good Lord for not letting Margaret win. Her vocal fry was really getting on my last frazzled nerve tonight. I was hoping Mike would win again.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Apparently the contestants tonight don't watch enough television -- Proactiv ads are on all the time!

I know - I was pretty impressed they'd all managed to avoid those commercials!

I was a bit surprised that no one guessed refuse and god, and that Coneheads and Al Franken were TS; I don't think I've ever seen an episode of SNL in its entirety, but I've seen oodles of sketches and some of the films, and have picked up more via cultural osmosis.

The Louisiana Purchase clue had no business being in DJ.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh thank the good Lord for not letting Margaret win. Her vocal fry was really getting on my last frazzled nerve tonight. I was hoping Mike would win again.

I do wonder how many "real" people who've appeared on shows like this watch themselves at home and go on to get speech therapy or go to Nordstrom's for some guidance.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was a bit surprised that no one guessed refuse and god, and that Coneheads and Al Franken were TS; I don't think I've ever seen an episode of SNL in its entirety, but I've seen oodles of sketches and some of the films, and have picked up more via cultural osmosis.

I was expecting either "A Night at the Roxbury" or "Superstar" to be there too. I could understand not knowing those clunkers.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't go thru the lyrics fast enuf to get to Brass in Pocket. And I guessed Katy Perry for "I'm Just a Girl," though I should have known the right answer.

I said "coin in pocket"...sigh.

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I dunno about that apex ruling today. *I* said "apogee" with no confusion. And if I can get it, just about anybody can.

Both of us said "perogee" D'oh! No apologees though. 😉

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't come up with Salvador Dali. I was all over the place.

We got Dali, then spent time singing silly songs swapping original lyrics with"Dali" (as in "Hello Dali") 😄

• LOL 4
19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And I guessed Katy Perry for "I'm Just a Girl," though I should have known the right answer.

Me, too.  Great minds think wrongly alike.

I got Coneheads - my husband and I were both sad that was a TS. But then for some reason, "we are from France" seems to come up a lot in our conversations ... ? (Like, one day I was at a bus stop texting him about some people who were annoying me by chomping loudly on whole carrots. He said "ugh, who does that?" and I said "They are from France," to which he replied, "are you saying they're aliens or are they actually from France?")

Al Franken I'm sad to say I could picture and yet couldn't come up with his name. I blame the blond hair and the lack of glasses, and my increasingly foggy memory.

• LOL 5
15 hours ago, Brookside said:

I do wonder how many "real" people who've appeared on shows like this watch themselves at home and go on to get speech therapy or go to Nordstrom's for some guidance.

I was under the impression that all people who appeared on Jeopardy were real.

2 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Nope. Add the Simpson's to that also.

D'oh!

13 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I was expecting either "A Night at the Roxbury" or "Superstar" to be there too.

I immediately thought "A Night at the Roxbury," and found it on J6.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I was under the impression that all people who appeared on Jeopardy were real

I think you're forgetting Winston, or whatever its name was.

• LOL 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, ErinV said:

I couldn't believe no one knew Al Franken!

I know Al Franken, but I never watched SNL when he was on. I know him only from his political career. So there were crickets in my head with that clue.

3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Am I the only person alive who never watched SNL? My kids did, but I didn't find it funny.😏

Depends on what you mean by never watched. I never watched it live - I'm not a night owl and never was, even when the "original" cast was on. I have seen clips over the years. I find some of them hysterically funny, and some not so much. Comedy, in particular, is something that varies widely with taste and generation. I'm old, but my parents and I didn't agree about what was the more topical comedy when I was young.

Edited by Clanstarling

Frankenstein? Shutter Island? The guy in the middle couldn't come up with anything? Not even Lord of the Flies (which at least takes place on an island and is English)??? Sigh. At least I got a * out of FJ.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Frankenstein? Shutter Island? The guy in the middle couldn't come up with anything? Not even Lord of the Flies (which at least takes place on an island and is English)??? Sigh. At least I got a * out of FJ.

I got it at the last second, all I could think of was that Charles Laughton was in a movie based on the book, but the title finally came to me.😌

• Love 1

I got FJ.  I said the correct answer almost immediately.  Questioned myself.  Considered Frankenstein, but then realized the title location part didn't it and changed it back.  What a roller coaster of a ride.

I think the only TS I got was stein.  I got the entire category of continental and retro, though the $400 clue wasn't uncovered.

• Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and an asterisk!  Good for me!

And now I have to keep rooting for Paul, since we share an alma mater (of a nation).

It didn't seem like there were very many TS tonight -- I only wrote down three that I got:  stein, Eton, and UC-Berkeley.

• Love 2

I'm not going to be home tonight, so I just read the archive.

I wasn't expecting FJ to be a TS.  I've never read the book or seen the films, but I know it's about a mad scientist, so house of pain + island needing to be in the title made it spring to mind immediately.'

But stein and The Bad Seed were the only other TS that surprised me.

"I would also have accepted 'What is my refrigerator?'" about the case of beer clue made me laugh.

• Love 3

I only know mostly obnoxious words in German but when Alex said "you're going to hate yourselves" I picked stein at the last second (sometimes I can be a real dumkopf). Got 2 TS: stein and Eton (didn't they hear me yelling "Eton!!!"?) Sheesh. I grew up not far from the CIA and called it the Culinary Institute of Arts (oy vey). Well, it's been a while since I lived up there. The Meg category wasn't very difficult.  I like Paul and am glad he won again.  I think he was nervous last night. Tonight he seemed more relaxed (well, as relaxed as anyone can be while playing Jeopardy on TV).

• Love 4

When the audience was shown at the beginning of this episode, I wondered who the fellow was sitting by himself in the row of chairs along the front of the audience seating. He had a big notebook or pad of paper on his lap. All the judges were in front of him.

Anyone?

I got a laugh out of dung beetle being an answer. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time watching dung beetles roll their balls of manure to wherever they were going, and having great difficulty when that poop ball rolls into a depression in the dirt and they have to try and shove it out of the hole. Yeah, I'm easily entertained. But admit it -- that's not something one sees every day.

• Love 3

Between the William and Mary mention and one contestant being from down the road in Canton  MI, I was starting to feel like tonight's show was designed for me but I've got no Nebraska connection that I know of.  Oh well, two out of three ain't bad.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

When the audience was shown at the beginning of this episode, I wondered who the fellow was sitting by himself in the row of chairs along the front of the audience seating. He had a big notebook or pad of paper on his lap. All the judges were in front of him.

Anyone?

I got a laugh out of dung beetle being an answer. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time watching dung beetles roll their balls of manure to wherever they were going, and having great difficulty when that poop ball rolls into a depression in the dirt and they have to try and shove it out of the hole. Yeah, I'm easily entertained. But admit it -- that's not something one sees every day.

That's Jimmy of the Clue Crew and many times in a similar shot you can look for Sarah next to him.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

When Zahkia missed Eton, my husband remarked that she must not do crossword puzzles.

Me: I can't believe she missed that!
Mama Secnarf: Not everyone does crosswords.

My mother and I do the weekly TV guide crossword puzzle together and I think Eton is on there every third week.

• Love 4

I got The Bad Seed, stein, and Eton.

3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

lol, I just read that Bad Seed book to my 5 year old granddaughter the other day!

I used to get picture books all the time from the library for my son. The Bad Seed looks great. Maybe I'll check it out for myself.

It took me a minute to come up with Island of Dr Moreau. For one thing, you had to read the clue carefully to come up with the island name/nickname. Another asterisk for me!

I was curious and googled the Sardar Patel Statue of Unity. Wowza!

statue_of_unity_sardar_patel-U2057309691

27 minutes ago, WhoisMark said:

That's Jimmy of the Clue Crew and many times in a similar shot you can look for Sarah next to him.

Thank you @WhoisMark. I always try to see if I can recognize past (and future!) players when the audience is shown, but today was the first I've noticed Jimmy, it was a different camera angle. Clue Crew ... what a great job.

Yikes - is that statue an optical illusion or is it really that huge?  Patel is such a popular name in India so that was a great clue.  I forgot how often Eton used to be in crossword puzzles. But over the past few years, the Washington Post's crossword puzzles have been (by two different creators) very different from puzzles of yesteryear, unfortunately.

Just got caught up on the past two days. Got Nora Roberts, Parson Weems, apogee, a god, The Coneheads, and Al Franken for yesterday, but guessed Diego Rivera for FJ—wrong! For today, I only got stein and Eton, and completely blanked on FJ. I couldn’t get Count of Monte Cristo out of my head, even though I knew it was a French novel.