Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I didn't get FJ.  I said Iran and Iraq.   I think of India as more Hindi, so I don't think I would have come up wth he correct answer in a million years.

I said the same, for the same reasons, but the mister got it, pointing out that India's population is massive, even if the Muslims are a minority.

• Love 2

Somewhere in that vast forest that is the internet, I once read a very funny story from a guy who, for most of his life, had thought that Jerry Lewis and Jerry Lee Lewis were the same person, and only found out they were different during a conversation with his girlfriend while they were getting ready for sexytimes.  The result being that there were no sexytimes that night, because now she thought he was an idiot.  Wish I could find it again, because he narrated it very amusingly.  I remember that the phrase "Goodness gracious, great balls of HEY LADY!" featured prominently.

That's what the Jerry (Lee) Lewis clue made me think of.

• LOL 14
32 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Somewhere in that vast forest that is the internet, I once read a very funny story from a guy who, for most of his life, had thought that Jerry Lewis and Jerry Lee Lewis were the same person, and only found out they were different during a conversation with his girlfriend while they were getting ready for sexytimes.  The result being that there were no sexytimes that night, because now she thought he was an idiot.  Wish I could find it again, because he narrated it very amusingly.  I remember that the phrase "Goodness gracious, great balls of HEY LADY!" featured prominently.

That's what the Jerry (Lee) Lewis clue made me think of.

I thought they were the same person when I was in high school, partly because I had very little idea of who either one of them were.  

Not sure why this would come up during sexy time, or why it would be important enough to cancel sexy time.

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I didn't get FJ.  I said Iran and Iraq.   I think of India as more Hindi, so I don't think I would have come up wth he correct answer in a million years.

I also said Iran and Iraq and thought the same thing about India as you. I considered Indonesia but couldn't think of what the second country would be.

14 hours ago, ABay said:

Did the "read the entire category name for $x, please, Alex" woman say "Jerry Lewis" instead of "Jerry Lee Lewis"? That's what I heard.

I thought she said Jerry Lee Lewis but said it all so fast that the Lee elided into the Lewis. Try it.

I was so close to answering the clue about the author and the 10,000 hours. I could picture him and just came up with Malcolm when time was up.

I've never heard of the rash guard shirt.

Glad Paul won again. Michael really came up from behind, but he gave a couple of wrong answers early on that made me root against him, though he did win me over a little when he laughed after picking the category You're Showing Your Age.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Michael really came up from behind, but he gave a couple of wrong answers early on that made me root against him, though he did win me over a little when he laughed after picking the category You're Showing Your Age.

I thought yesterday's was a good game. Even AT has been nicer lately to all the contestants, which makes the interviews more fun and friendly, which I enjoy. I don't miss his snark at all, and my viewing pleasure is better for it gone missing. I felt badly for Michael going into the red, how horrible to finally make it onto the show and then tank. So I was glad to see him get back on his game and finish well.

I typically root for the underdog, I'm not a "pile on" person.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought she said Jerry Lee Lewis but said it all so fast that the Lee elided into the Lewis. Try it.

That is what I thought until I went to J! Archive and they had just Jerry Lewis. For the heck of it, I went to Wiki and read up on Jerry Lee Lewis....not a nice man in any shape, size or form! Between 7 wives(one of them his cousin who was aged 13 when they got married), tax evasion and bankruptcy his life was/is a mess!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I thought they were the same person when I was in high school, partly because I had very little idea of who either one of them were.  

Not sure why this would come up during sexy time, or why it would be important enough to cancel sexy time.

Not sure, but I'm guessing the "Hey Lady" likely in a Jerry Lewis voice, would have been enough. At least for me. He's so anti-sexy, he's a birth control measure for me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

For the heck of it, I went to Wiki and read up on Jerry Lee Lewis.

You might (not) want to catch the 1989 movie, Great Balls of Fire, starring Dennis Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis. Since it's been 30 years since I've seen it, maybe I need to watch it again. Or not. Jerry LL's cousin was Jimmy Swaggart, played by Alec Baldwin in the movie, and Winona Ryder is the 13-year-old bride. Also of note, Stephen Tobolowsky from Groundhog Day is also in the cast!

13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

You might (not) want to catch the 1989 movie, Great Balls of Fire, starring Dennis Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis

I am pretty sure I saw it(I liked Dennis Quaid) because I would not have watched it for JLL....never liked him. Not only was Jimmy Swaggart his cousin, so is Mickey Gilley!

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

You might (not) want to catch the 1989 movie, Great Balls of Fire, starring Dennis Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis. Since it's been 30 years since I've seen it, maybe I need to watch it again. Or not. Jerry LL's cousin was Jimmy Swaggart, played by Alec Baldwin in the movie, and Winona Ryder is the 13-year-old bride. Also of note, Stephen Tobolowsky from Groundhog Day is also in the cast!

It was on TV one time and I think I watched about a half an hour of it and I just couldn't take it any more.  I think I threw in the towel on his wedding night with the Winona Ryder character.

I got FJ, but it was totally a guess. 

I got the TS of deputy and Montana.  I got the entire category of Comics right, but they didn't get to the $1000 clue which I'm sure I would have missed.  I made a couple of bonehead mistakes and missed a couple of easy ones.

I got myrrh an frankincense, but every time that comes up, I feel the need to embarrass myself and tell this story.  When I was a kid, I thought it was Franken's cents, or Frankenstein's pennies.

• LOL 4
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was kind of expecting them to come back and accept “counting” (vs. “integer”). Unless I missed something, didn’t it fit the clue?

It had to start with "in."

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well, sure, but you could say that about every clue where they ask for a first name.  There's no other President named Roosevelt that was a rough Rider.  And no other president named Johnson that was impeached, and no other President named Harrison who died in office. They still ask for first names on those.

Sometimes...I'm pretty sure there was a time when they did not ask for BMS for "Johnson".

They are horribly inconsistent.

• Love 4

Instaget FJ for me tonight -- I love that play.  So much fun wordplay.  And Bunburying!  

Paul got lucky tonight that middle guy didn't know FJ.

I also got the TS of 4th down, Trees, Brigham Young, and Montana. 

• Love 1

I'm pretty surprised deputy was a TS.  Talib a little bit, too.

Unlike the contestants, I watch a football, so that was a fun category for me.   (I laughed at Alex referencing the dismal performance in a football category last year.)  By their answers, I figured Mark to be a casual viewer and the other two not being fans at all, so I wasn't surprised he didn't know too many players on the field, but I was surprised he didn't know fourth down. 

But I didn't have a great first round overall; I missed several, thanks to the poet and house categories (re. the latter, I didn't know Brigham Young, and I also somehow managed not to put together who'd have lived in something starting with "Oz"!  That was a major V8 head smack).  Same thing in DJ, thanks to goddesses and emperors and somehow never having even heard of intaglio.

But FJ came to me instantly, which kind of surprised me; I've seen the play, but I don't know it well.  I guess "vital" brought "importance" to mind right away, and then it was easy for me from there.  But the clue asked for the remaining words of the final line, not the title whence that line is derived, so "the" shouldn't have been included as the two contestants who got it right did.  I know they wouldn't rule against them for that, but I was a little surprised Alex did the same thing.

I thought about The Importance of Being Earnest but had to say it following the phrase quoted in the clue just to make sure it made sense.

The only TS I got was Trees. Come on, contestants. Joyce Kilmer = Trees. 

Funny, but with the clue whose answer was Caligula, I immediately thought of I Claudius, and then the next clue referenced that show.

I can never keep the Greek and Roman gods straight.

I'll have to google snorkeling in Iceland to see what the big deal is.

• Love 3

As a big fan of I, Claudius, I got those right. And as someone who is very proud of the fact that I made callbacks for my college production of Importance (lost out to actual MFA students who were closer in age to the characters, but I realllly want to play Lady Bracknell someday!), I got FJ right away. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight -- I love that play.  So much fun wordplay.  And Bunburying!  

And Lady Bracknell's Haaahnd Baahg.

Edited by Brookside
Because my post came up as being from Browncoat.
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ, but it was totally a guess. 

I got the TS of deputy and Montana.  I got the entire category of Comics right, but they didn't get to the $1000 clue which I'm sure I would have missed.  I made a couple of bonehead mistakes and missed a couple of easy ones.

I got myrrh an frankincense, but every time that comes up, I feel the need to embarrass myself and tell this story.  When I was a kid, I thought it was Franken's cents, or Frankenstein's pennies.

Aw, things we misunderstood as kids shouldn't be embarrassing. They're just cute and funny. I'll give you embarrassing...I had a brain blip and said sheriff instead of deputy. 😂

11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight -- I love that play.  So much fun wordplay. 

I don't really know the play well, but the title just slid right in with the phrase. So an instaget for me. Amusingly, it was one of the few plays my tech guy husband had seen - so I was expecting him to get it - which he didn't until he gave up (at that point house rules allow hints).

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Funny, but with the clue whose answer was Caligula, I immediately thought of I Claudius, and then the next clue referenced that show.

I can never keep the Greek and Roman gods straight.

It's like we share a mind. I got most of the gods right this time, but not because I knew them (totally guessed Flora - did not know that was the name of a goddess).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I'll give you embarrassing...I had a brain blip and said sheriff instead of deputy

I actually did, too, but changed it in the same breath.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ErinV said:

I can't remember the question, but I don't think Paul's answer of "internship" should have been accepted.

I agree with you. It should have been intern. Here's the clue.

It can be a trainee working short-term without pay, or a recent medical school grad working in a hospital prior to a residency

• Love 2

I usually ignore the phone when it rings during Jeopardy, but my mom called.  During Jeopardy.  My heart stopped.  My parents are in their 80s and refusing to cut down on any outings because "they've had a good life."   Plus, I don't think my dad washes his hands very much. So, my mom just had a question and I missed the second half of the first round so didn't bother keeping score.  Plus, I haven't really come back down from my moment of terror, yet.  

I did get FJ, though.

Also, I hate pun categories.

Edited by Katy M

OF COURSE the woman with the horrendous vocal fry would win.  I am sad to see Paul go. And I really had to think about FJ.  I knew it, but I had a hard time pulling it from my brain.  I did manage it in time, though.

But I just could not pull Robert Duvall out of my brain.  I could picture him, and knew exactly who they were looking for, but just simply could not come up with his name.

I did manage to get scrollwork, chameleon, and Methodist, and I said walking stick instead of stick insect (or stick bug or whatever) because that's what we call them around here.  I like to think it would have been accepted.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

said walking stick instead of stick insect (or stick bug or whatever) because that's what we call them around here.  I like to think it would have been accepted.

Me, too.   Google seems to say they are the same thing.   Like I said I didn't keep score tonight, but if I had, I would have given myself the points.  

I like the new champ.  

I realize I watch way more MSNBC than any one person should, but I was shocked that no one knew Lawrence O'Donnell. I love me some Lawrence at 10pm. :-)

Anyway.....

I also got Robert Duvall and stick bug.

FJ=instaget.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I realize I watch way more MSNBC than any one person should, but I was shocked that no one knew Lawrence O'Donnell.

The problem with that, one has to have the MSNBC channel before one can recognize that guy. I've never heard of him. Ever. It's you wealthy folk who have all those non-antenna tv channels.

Shout out to @JudyObscure with the Jude The Obscure clue. (Judy, it's more fun over here than where I know you are right now!)

I said Walking Stick too, so put me in with you guys expecting the judges to say yes.

I got chameleon, Methodist and Robert Duvall, one of my fav actors. When he teamed with Kevin Costner and a couple of horses in Open Range, Saber was muy happy.

Finally, a FJ category I could get behind. Forget those Bible and English Royalty categories, give me some Comics clues. I love a good graphic novel. So thank you, show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The only TS I got was Trees. Come on, contestants. Joyce Kilmer = Trees. 

I'm guessing it's not a popular poem anymore--too sweet and religious for sophisticated connoisseurs of literature.

12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Aw, things we misunderstood as kids shouldn't be embarrassing. They're just cute and funny. I'll give you embarrassing...I had a brain blip and said sheriff instead of deputy. 😂

IIt's like we share a mind. I got most of the gods right this time, but not because I knew them (totally guessed Flora - did not know that was the name of a goddess).

🎵🎵I said the sheriff, but I should have said the deputy.🎵🎵

I guessed Primavera instead of Flora. Here she is.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

OF COURSE the woman with the horrendous vocal fry would win. 

I didn't notice it and I'm usually pretty sensitive to it. I did like her comeback from behind, but I suspect she will be a one and done.

43 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Anyway.....

I also got Robert Duvall and stick bug.

FJ=instaget.

I knew Duvall (love him!) but could not think of stick bug. That picture was nightmare fuel!

I had no idea "graphic novel" went back that far. I don't remember hearing the term until the 90's.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The problem with that, one has to have the MSNBC channel before one can recognize that guy. I've never heard of him. Ever. It's you wealthy folk who have all those non-antenna tv channels.

He pops up on the late night talk shows occasionally. That’s how I got him. I don’t watch MSNBC.

• Love 2

Good grief.  A graphic novel? I felt so out of it when I learned that was the proper response for FJ.  I don't think a certain generation of people watch the cable news shows (TS: Lawrence O'Donnell)  I said walking stick too - that's what we call them in the northeast (USA). Darn it all we've lost Paul (my sad little poem for the evening). I really liked him. Not happy with the bubbly Miss Vocal Fry. She's just a teence too much, ya know what I mean? Uh-oh...my punishment for being catty means she might be another James.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good grief.  A graphic novel? I felt so out of it when I learned that was the proper response for FJ.  I don't think a certain generation of people watch the cable news shows (TS: Lawrence O'Donnell)  I said walking stick too - that's what we call them in the northeast (USA). Darn it all we've lost Paul (my sad little poem for the evening). I really liked him. Not happy with the bubbly Miss Vocal Fry. She's just a teence too much, ya know what I mean? Uh-oh...my punishment for being catty means she might be another James.

Hah!!!! Not on her best day.....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Darn it all we've lost Paul (my sad little poem for the evening).

But he'll be back, you will see, in the next T of C. (Best I could do on short notice.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Aww, I like the new champ! Didn’t even notice the vocal fry. She was so happy to win.

I got Lawrence O’Donnell, Berners-Lee, chameleon, 1840 (Napoleon), and FJ-graphic novels. Even if you don’t watch MSNBC, you might recognize O’Donnell as President Bartlett’s abusive dad on The West Wing—he was a writer on the show and got cast in the role.

I learned “graphic novel” working in the bookstore/library world. I only own a few, Persepolis, Maus, and a great adaptation of Darwin’s Origin of Species.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I said walking stick instead of stick insect (or stick bug or whatever) because that's what we call them around here.

I said the same.  And I'm sure it would have been accepted; a quick internet search shows walking stick to be a common name for them.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Also, I hate pun categories.

I liked that one.  The "taxing" clue had me joining in the laughter. 

Quite a few TS tonight, many of which I didn't think were going to be, but the only two that surprised me were Lawrence O'Donnell and chameleon (especially the latter).

I didn't feel good about my FJ chances when I saw "comic books" in the clue (they've never interested me), but it turned out to be something I guessed immediately; I had no idea the term went back that far, but it came to mind from hearing numerous TV characters correct someone who said "comic book" with "They're graphic novels".

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I had no idea "graphic novel" went back that far. 

Me neither, but that was the only term I could think of, so I went with it.

I got gorgons, Lawrence O'Donnell, chameleon, Robert Duvall, and walking stick (stick bug).

Wow, there were a lot of cool building that were torn down. How sad.

I was amused by Jessica's name being Jessica Babbitt, reminding me of Jessica Rabbit. And they both have red hair.

Sorry to see Paul go, but I don't mind Jessica.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I was surprised chameleon was a TS.  Notwithstanding Culture Club being before their time 😉 it doesn't seem that obscure in terms of general knowledge.

When I was a kid, chameleons were a fad for a short while. My friend had one, it had a leash connected to a pin. You would pin it to your sweater so the chameleon would stand on your shoulder or cling to the sweater. The deal was, the chameleon would change color to match your sweater. There were lots of jokes about people killing their chameleons by putting them on a plaid sweater.

The fad did not last long. Neither did the chameleons.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

When I was a kid, chameleons were a fad for a short while. My friend had one, it had a leash connected to a pin. You would pin it to your sweater so the chameleon would stand on your shoulder or cling to the sweater. The deal was, the chameleon would change color to match your sweater. There were lots of jokes about people killing their chameleons by putting them on a plaid sweater.

The fad did not last long. Neither did the chameleons.

I'm tired and read this as the pin being attached to the chameleon with the kid holding the leash.  (Which would explain why they didn't last long!)

Many moons ago my dad brought one home for a visit (he worked in a college biology department with a great - humane - animal house).  It was fascinating watching it change into part of an orange curtain.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I'm tired and read this as the pin being attached to the chameleon with the kid holding the leash.  (Which would explain why they didn't last long!)

LOL. When typing that, I thought it wasn't very clear.

I did a search and the shoulder chameleon was a big deal in the '20s, then through the '60s. I even found an ad where you could buy meal worms for a buck and get a free chameleon AND free shoulder leash and gold safety pin to keep the chameleon attached to you so you can watch it change colors to match your clothes.

Circus Pet guarantees  your chameleon will live three years. If it does not, return the "old one" and they will send you a new one. What a deal! Plus you guys are now set for Category Chameleon. You're welcome.

chameleon.thumb.jpg.a01f029f2a7a5b2f60893f554fa1b586.jpg

• Love 4

Final Jeopardy was right in my wheelhouse, so I got it easily.

My stepson doesn't normally watch the show, but happened to be in the room during Final Jeopardy.  He was like "Come on!  That's a Jeopardy question?  Who doesn't know that?!"  Poor lad doesn't realize that not everyone is a geek like him. 😀

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

When I was a kid, chameleons were a fad for a short while. My friend had one, it had a leash connected to a pin.

I remember I got one when our parents took us to see the Ringling Bros. Circus in Chicago ages ago (60s?). I only remember it's tail falling off. I don't think it lasted long at all.

That question was one I did not get because I was unsure of what they wanted, I was too busy thinking 'lizard' to come up with chameleon.

I also call that thing a walking stick. I did get Gorgons. Robert Duvall refused to come out of my mouth even though I could picture him perfectly and knew he was in Tender Mercies.

Cataloged many Graphic Novels at the library I worked at FJ was an instaget.

• Love 2

I, too, proclaimed "Walking Stick" quite loudly.  I also said, "Poseidon" instead of "Neptune," which I think would have been ruled correct. (Whose trident is on the Barbados flag.)

And you can count me as one of those dismayed at the FJ category, only to find it easy-peasy.  LOL.

• Love 1