Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Jeopardy! Season 36 will premiere September 9, 2019.

Please remember the basic rules of this forum and thread. Posting about the day's episode should happen after 7PM ET. Before that, it is considered spoilers so please tag it. As always, be civil to your fellow posters and no politics.  

Thank you! 

• Love 3

I hope the rest of the year goes better for me than tonight, LOL.  

I did get The Help, Thunderbird and Beethoven's 9th.

I also answered Goliath for FJ hoping he was named after the town.    All I could remember was that he was a Philistine and that was int eh clue.

I hate the mashup categories.  Only got the $200 clue on that.

• Love 5

Well, I am off to a bad start!  I knew they were looking for the town where Goliath lived, but had no idea the name of the town.  "Goliathtown" made me laugh.

I also got The Help and Schlossbergman, and can't believe I missed Thunderbird.  I'm out of practice.  Yeah, that's the ticket...

I liked the champ's tie story, but I will never get used to the players starting at the bottoms of the categories.

• Love 12

As soon as I saw the FJ category I thought, “Well, that’s it for me, then.” Like everyone else, I knew they wanted Goliath’s town but even after they revealed the answer I was like, “Nope! Doesn’t even sound familiar!”

• Love 10

Jason: [Misses DD]
Alex: The Help. Popular film.

Good to have you back, Alex.

Corvette surprised me as a TS.  A few others - prevail, Thunderbird, boxing, Schlossbergman, and coffee pot  - I wouldn't have predicted as TS, but that was the only one that had me yelling the answer at my TV in increasing disbelief.

I loved the category where you combined last names; Bernsteinway and Koppelosi particularly tickled me.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

As soon as I saw the FJ category I thought, “Well, that’s it for me, then.” Like everyone else, I knew they wanted Goliath’s town but even after they revealed the answer I was like, “Nope! Doesn’t even sound familiar!”

This was me exactly, with a break to laugh at "Goliathtown".

• Love 9

I'm glad I'm not the only one not to get FJ. I think I've heard of Gath, but obviously it didn't stick with me. Goliathtown was a good one. 😄

I got prevail, Melissa McCarthy -- the movie is streaming on HBO! -- and Prius, plus the DD of The Help. 

Instead of coffee pot (for Chemex), I said measuring cup. Maybe I was thinking of Pyrex.

• Love 3
509 GIF

We're back!

Looks like I didn't get any smarter over the summer. 

I only got Melissa McCarthy.

I liked the mashup category, although when Alex explained it, my reaction was, "Huh?" I'm out of practice and a little slow on the uptake tonight.

I also figured they were looking for the town where Goliath was from, but that's as far as I got.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

As soon as I saw the FJ category I thought, “Well, that’s it for me, then.” 

My reaction, "Oh, crap! 0 for 1!" 

22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Jason: [Misses DD]
Alex: The Help. Popular film.

Good to have you back, Alex.

I love when he does that. I always think, "Well, not as popular as you seem to think, Alex!"

I thought Alex looked good. Happy to have the show back.

• Love 12

Being a heathen and an anthropologist (not archaeology, but still), I was busy being annoyed in FJ that the wording of the clue implied that there's scientific evidence Goliath actually existed. I realize this is murky territory, and I'm trying to be considerate of believers, but I would have preferred the clue say that the site was identified as the Philistine city described as the home of a giant warrior in the Bible. (I know I'm probably just splitting hairs and being nitpicky here!)

My response times were sloooooooow tonight, but I'm optimistic that I just need to get back into the groove. I'm so very happy to have new episodes! 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I need to brush up on my Biblical knowledge!  Like everyone else, I knew they wanted the town where Goliath was from, but did not have a clue!  Loved "Goliathtown" 🙂  That was a lovely story about that fellow's tie. 

Who?

It was wonderful to see Alex hosting and that he looked well. I hope it wasn’t stage makeup and he really has the color of good health. 

Loved Jason’s tie story. Being out of practice I got The Help, Melissa McCarthy, Thunderbird, Schlossberg-man and Beethoven’s 9th. I had no clue on FJ and said something stupid like Goliathan. Ah well. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I hate the mashup categories.  Only got the $200 clue on that.

I think this category would have been best served by starting from the top - as all the categories with a twist (imo).

11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I knew they were too young to get Thunderbird & Chemex. 

Hey, I'm too young to get Chemex (and I'm old)...well, I did get it, but because of the other parts of the clue. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😉

10 hours ago, lb60 said:

I liked the mashup category, although when Alex explained it, my reaction was, "Huh?" I'm out of practice and a little slow on the uptake tonight.

It's not just you, the mister and I looked at each other and said "what?" We wasted most of the clues by trying to figure it out.

I got Goliath right away, but am bad at modern geography, much less ancient. So I answered the only non-Jewish city I could remember from the bible - Babylon. LOL. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I knew The Help and Melissa McCarthy. I saw Can You Ever Forgive Me? on the plane to London in July.  Good movie!  And The Help was the last movie my sister-in-law saw on tv before she died later that night.  She had terminal cancer.

What was the Thunderbird clue - was it one of the car ones?

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1

I got FJ, although I do consider it a pretty hard clue.  The book of I Samuel calls him "Goliath of Gath," and for some reason I've always remembered that--maybe because of the alliteration.  Nevertheless, I don't blame anyone who didn't get it, because most of the time when Goliath is mentioned, it's just his name, not his town.

I hated the overlapping names category, or whatever it was called.  I heartily dislike all those tricksy categories.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, theartandsound said:

The only reason I got Gath in FJ was that I watched the sadly short-lived but amazing show KINGS, and even then I was second-guessing myself until Alex said it.

I had forgotten about Kings—that was a great show. I knew it thanks to the musical King David. One of the songs is, quite straightforwardly, “Goliath of Gath”. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

What was the Thunderbird clue - was it one of the car ones?

The Thunderbird answer was in the classic cars category, the clue something like: "It was the hot Ford model (or muscle car) before the Mustang." Or something similar to that.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

So I answered the only non-Jewish city I could remember from the bible - Babylon.

At least you could come up with an answer. I couldn't even think of Babylon.

It's fun to see everyone back this season. While I watched over the summer, it was nice to not have the stress of MUST BE WATCHING AT X O'CLOCK. I enjoyed the freedom.

I'm so sorry about your sister in law, @zoey1996.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

Hi Jeopardy buddies!! 

Happy a new season has begun, and really happy to see how well Alex looked & how energetic he acted. He doesn't seem to have missed a beat over the break. 

As soon as I saw Jason's tie I thought "looks very 90s" and turns out it was. Nice story though. 

TS I got were The Help (Jason's DD), Melissa McCarthy, Prius, boxing (guess), Schlossbergman, beanie. 

Like Holly I said Goliath Town for DD, but Gath seemed vaguely familiar once the answer was revealed. But I would never have come up with it on my own. 

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Melissa McCarthy -- the movie is streaming on HBO! 

That's how I got it! 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I thought Alex looked real good and he seemed zippy when he came out.

I'm so happy to see him looking in good health. My aunt was diagnosed with and died of pancreatic cancer within a matter of months, just the summer, basically. It was painful for her. My hope is that Alex is a success story against this awful disease.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, lb60 said:

I think the problem was that Alex didn't explain it correctly! In his example (actor Christopher & singer Freddy) he gave the response "Plummer Mercury" instead of "Plumercury". Or, as I explained to my mom "It's like Bradgelina, only with last names instead of first ones". Then again, my mother responded with "I don't get it. It makes no sense" after every question in that category.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I think the problem was that Alex didn't explain it correctly! In his example (actor Christopher & singer Freddy) he gave the response "Plummer Mercury" instead of "Plumercury". Or, as I explained to my mom "It's like Bradgelina, only with last names instead of first ones". Then again, my mother responded with "I don't get it. It makes no sense" after every question in that category.

I totally understood, I just didn't know the answers. I would know one and not the other, so I couldn't get the mashup.  I don't like the before and after category for the same reason.  I'll only get half the answer because I'm a moron.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

I got all the cars except Prius (in my defense, "pioneering" threw me off the track as the Honda Insight was the actual pioneering hybrid in the US)

I never ever heard of Gath until last night 😞  Forget it, David, it's Goliathtown

I drive one, and I missed it - for kind of the same reason. I was searching for a car model that had a name that sounded pioneer-y.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Nevertheless, I don't blame anyone who didn't get it, because most of the time when Goliath is mentioned, it's just his name, not his town.

From now on when referring to the story, we must all say "David and Goliath of Gath."

I kept forgetting the one category had to have "bean" in the answer. I think I answered four of the clues without a "bean."

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I should have stay as a lurker since my first attempt at Final Jeopardy is a big zero so far. And I'm usually pretty good at Bible topics. I did get all 12 answers on the extra Jeopardy questions quiz on the website though.

• Love 4

It took me longer than it should’ve to come up with the FJ answer today. But now I’m batting .500 for the new season and should probably quit while I’m ahead.

The woman contestant seemed absolutely sweet and kind and smart, but such a time waster.

• Love 5
Just now, M. Darcy said:

Aw, no one knew Jane Austen.

I was hoping the English woman would win. 

I was kind of hoping she would, but kind of hoping she wouldn't because she apparently thinks it will help her to not finish the boards.

I said the Superbowl for FJ.  I knew what it was when he gave the extra clue, but that doesn't count.

• Love 1

Well, it didn't take long for the first annoying contestant of the season to show up. Pick up the pace x 1000, lady.

2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I did get all 12 answers on the extra Jeopardy questions quiz on the website though.

I also went 12 for 12. I felt much better about myself.

35 minutes ago, SHD said:

The woman contestant seemed absolutely sweet and kind and smart.....

I was thinking more along the lines of slow and annoying.

11 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I was hoping the English woman would win. 

Noooooooooooo!

20 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I was kind of hoping she would, but kind of hoping she wouldn't because she apparently thinks it will help her to not finish the boards.

I said the Superbowl for FJ.  I knew what it was when he gave the extra clue, but that doesn't count.

My reaction when the buzzer rang and the game was a runaway, "Oh, thank goodness!"

I did the same thing you did with FJ. That extra hint after the fact really would have helped. lol 

I did get ixnay and The Howling.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I was just rooting for Valerie to get a couple more answers to make it competitive but I liked all the contestants so enjoyed the game.  

FJ was an instaget, something about the date always sticks in my mind and I associate it with the very nice lady who used to take care of me back then - she decided my 4 year old self needed the first Beatles album because her teen age kids liked it.  I still have the beat up vinyl album.

• Love 9

I called FJ when they showed the category. I said Dick van Dyke or Ed Sullivan, so when they gave the clue I knew. I distinctly remember watching it - I was 13. My family went to church on Sunday nights (in addition to Sunday mornings). My Mom convinced my Dad we could skip church so I could watch the Beatles. I was the envy of all my church friends.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

Hello, nice to "see" everyone again! I missed the show last night and had totally forgotten who was champ when last season ended. 

I knew ixnay and Jane Austen. FJ was an instaget, although I don't remember if I saw the first Beatles appearance or not. I Love Lucy was a pretty bad guess, around 10 years too late.

• Love 3

I feel like such a dumbass because I read the FJ clue as The Fugitive finale had more viewers than THIS SHOW'S FINALE in 1964. Sunday night, so Bonanza. But that went longer than 1964. What about Gunsmoke ... I don't think it or Bonanza had a final episode, shows didn't do them back then, plus Gunsmoke ran longer than '64 ... so I came up with zilch.

THEN I read the clue correctly, but it was too late, the answer was given. I'm a dumbass because I watched the finale of The Fugitive and I also saw The Beatles on Sullivan. Although I wasn't impressed with them, didn't see what all those girls were screaming and fainting over.

Showed what I (don't) know. And '60s television is one of my strong categories. I don't have a good feeling about this season, so far I'm 0/2. Even the J Six is kicking my ass.

• Love 4

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  I'm a big Beatles fan.  Sadly, I didn't get to watch Ed Sullivan -- not that I'm aware of, anyway, since I was in utero at the time. 

I only got The Howling TS, and it was a guess based on the clue. 

Valerie seemed nice, but I did wish she'd picked up the pace a bit.

How many drinks do we get for each "genre"?  'Cause there were a lot tonight!

• Love 4

I knew Jane Austen.  I have a copy of the book paired with one by Dickens.  Also knew The Howling.  FJ was easy-peasy.  I was 12, so the perfect age to be a Beatles fan.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

Well, it didn't take long for the first annoying contestant of the season to show up. Pick up the pace x 1000, lady.

This, exactly. I was yelling at the tv: Pick a clue, already! I did not want to see her back again just for that reason. This is not a game that should be played slowly.

• Love 3

I enjoyed Valerie's reactions to some of the clues/answers, and was rooting for her, even though she was sometimes slow to select the next clue (and, yes, I indeed mean sometimes, not often - sometimes she was quite noticeably slow, sometimes she was on the slower side of average, and a couple of times she was quick).

Ixnay really surprised me as a TS; it wouldn't have if they hadn't performed well in the pig latin category up until then, but they obviously knew the language, and that is probably one of the most well-known words (along with amscray, the subject of the previous clue) even among those who don't.

Austen as a TS surprised me in that no one even took a guess; I guess the challengers didn't want to risk losing the money.  Same with The Howling; even if they didn't know the film, I'm surprised no one guessed it based on the category and verbiage of the clue.

I'm not a Beatles fan (I like a few songs), and my mind went down the path of other scripted shows of that era at first, but then I had the thought it must have been some sort of special.  After not coming up with anything, the date finally made me think of their famous appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, and I was confident that was it.  But I wouldn't have had time to write it down, and my brain probably would never have even made the necessary turns to begin with under game conditions.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I enjoyed Valerie's reactions to some of the clues/answers,

I liked her reaction the first time she answered, but then she kept reacting the same way -- somewhat surprised and amused. I got tired of it.

Same with The Howling; even if they didn't know the film, I'm surprised no one guessed it based on the category and verbiage of the clue.

Once again I wasn't paying attention to the category, so I said 'Howl,' although I think I was confusing that title with the movie 'Wolf,' neither of which was correct anyway.

I got ixnay and FJ right.

I'll only get half the answer because I'm a moron.

Then I'm a moron, too.

Hi y'all, great to "see" you again.

Someone is reading our forum. FEMALE writers. Heh!

I can't believe I ran the fish category!

PS- Alex had a blast with so many "johns" (aka genres).

• Love 5