Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I forgot to keep track of TS's. I know I got Wilson, but I think I got another one because I remember yelling t the TV I just don't remember what.

I got FJ, but it was kind of funny.  I said "Tolstoy.  It's too early.  Maybe not.  Mark Twain?  No, I'll stick with Tolstoy."   And, then I laughed because there aren't too many clues that I would waffle between Tolstoy and Twain. They're pretty different writers.

• Love 2

I think Rodrigo wrote Camus for FJ just so Alex would say it!  And possibly Jason picked Goethe for the same reason.  I couldn't even come up with either of those, much less Tolstoy. 

But I did get magistrate (before the woman said magi), and Woodrow Wilson. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 9/13/2019 at 7:05 PM, Browncoat said:

Apparently, I have deleted the election of 2016 from my brain, as it never occurred to me for FJ tonight.

I got it right away, but then I'm still celebrating...-)

Hope Alex appreciated the "Camus"  answer today.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

So maybe you experts can help me?  I thought you had to answer in the form of a question.  The woman today is giving one word answers and not being penalized. Did they change that?

I noticed that also.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I think Rodrigo wrote Camus for FJ just so Alex would say it!

Camus was also in a J6 last week. Both times made me laugh. I appreciated the snark of it, even if it was unintentional.

I hope everyone who was gifted with a presidential trivia book ran that category today.

• Love 1

<sigh>

It's going to be a long season.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I think Rodrigo wrote Camus for FJ just so Alex would say it! 

Alex, of course, did not disappoint.

51 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I hope everyone who was gifted with a presidential trivia book ran that category today.

Well, since I didn't win a prize last season, I got them all wrong. Thanks a bunch, saber! ;-)

Disclaimer-I don't think I got them all wrong. Attention span was a little lacking tonight.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I'm reading the book (thanks!) but I'm only up to Buchanan.  Later, I hope.

• LOL 3
36 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think I remember the other TS I got.  Was Party of Five one?  Because if so I got that right.

That clue was something about kids raising themselves without parents. But someone answered Party of Five, not Jason, one of the other two got it.

2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

So maybe you experts can help me?  I thought you had to answer in the form of a question.  The woman today is giving one word answers and not being penalized. Did they change that?

1) If she hadn't phrased her answer as a question, she would have been ruled incorrect.

2) I went back and listened to my recording, and in her first 2 answers she said, quite clearly, "What is..." I didn't listen after that.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

There were a couple of answers where she didn't form a question.

Sometimes in editing the "What is" is cut short or SEEMS like it wasn't said, but as @chessiegal posted, if the answer is not a question, it is ruled incorrect without fail. In the Jeopardy round, Trebek will pause or give the player a chance to realize he/she didn't say "What is." In Double Jeopardy, a player is wrong off the bat for not phrasing as a question, no second chance.

There was a big discussion about this in the Season 35 thread which is where we learned about the editing thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

Anyone interested in reading a comment from Jason Z about today's show... check out the J!fan site.

Spoiler alert? If you click this link, you'll see today's results - they appear before Jason's comment as you scroll down.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/09/final-jeopardy-9-16-2019.html

I clicked on your link but couldn't find a comment from Jason.

However, I did appreciate this info:

On Reddit, Rodrigo reported that the plug for Batman Day was filmed afterwards; of course, this is ideal as it means those plugs don’t interrupt the flow of the game.

I always wondered about that.

The only TS I got was Wilson. I nearly got Nanette (great show), but instead came up with Natalie. Close, no cigar.

I also got FJ. I'm surprised Jason didn't get it since he often comes up with answers that I've never even heard of. Tonight there were at least two that were new to me.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ, but it was kind of funny.  I said "Tolstoy.  It's too early.  Maybe not.  Mark Twain?  No, I'll stick with Tolstoy."   And, then I laughed because there aren't too many clues that I would waffle between Tolstoy and Twain. They're pretty different writers.

Not least of which, Twain was American  😉

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I clicked on your link but couldn't find a comment from Jason.

Go all the way to the very bottom. There are usually comments to Andy posted there ... I had one once! Jason's is the very first one, it's signed from JZ.

• Love 1

I did all right with TSs today, getting duct tape, magistrate, Taft, Wilson, and then FJ-Tolstoy. I really was surprised no one got Wilson—having that stroke became pretty notorious in the decades after because it was covered up so much at the time. Taft was a bit of a guess, but since he ended up on the Supreme Court, I was pretty comfortable with it.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Brookside said:

Not least of which, Twain was American  😉

Was that part of the category?  I missed the category and just came in on the question.  Sometimes that hurts, sometimes it doesn't make a difference.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Was that part of the category?  I missed the category and just came in on the question.  Sometimes that hurts, sometimes it doesn't make a difference.

(Yes, sorry, no offence meant.)  The category was European Authors. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Brookside said:

(Yes, sorry, no offence meant.)  The category was European Authors. 

I wasn't offended. I often miss the category and just see the clue.  So, sometimes my answer does just end up being stupid.  Had I known the category, I would have just stuck with Tolstoy.  For some reason this makes me feel better.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Plus I don't like that he starts at the bottom of the categories.

....and I love that he (and James) start at the  bottom because it gives them a chance at more money! I have waited since Art Fleming days for a contestant to do this.  And lots of times, the questions don't seem that much harder anyway....if you know an answer, one knows it no matter where they begin. Every once an a while one question builds on another but most of the time, they don't.

Different strokes for different folks!!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 7

It was a ho hum night for me. I got duct tape, Magistrate and for Wilson I said FDR because my mind wasn’t engaged. For FJ I said Pasternak. I must have forgotten to turn my brain on yesterday, but I was exhausted and preoccupied with something. I need a good night soon. This is getting depressing. 🤷‍♀️

I got Tolstoy (second guessing for a moment with Camus). Oddly the date worked, because for some reason I associate a period in Tolstoy's life with the 1905 Russian Revolution and I knew he was older then (a movie maybe?). So I knew he had a mature body of work at that time.

Wilson was easy, and John and Quincy Adams was too easy (imo). But I didn't do all that well with the other questions.

Well, I'm off to a conference and won't be catching up with this week's Jeopardy until the weekend - I'm happy I started out in the plus column for FJ! 🙂

• Love 3
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Go all the way to the very bottom. There are usually comments to Andy posted there ... I had one once! Jason's is the very first one, it's signed from JZ.

Thanks! Found it (two, actually).

I used to be bothered by contestants starting at the bottom of the categories, but either I'm used to it now or I see the advantage. Probably both.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

It's not about being smug. For me it gets boring having the same person smoke the competition each day. Plus I don't like that he starts at the bottom of the categories.

I like starting at the bottom. As @suebee12 posted, it means more money faster, and if someone knows a category, the bottom clues aren't difficult. Fast money = more interesting game for me. Jason has been an invisible player IMO. He does nothing flashy or outrageous or anything to draw attention to himself, he just hunkers in and plays the game. I'm actually surprised when I see he's won as many games as he has since he's so "unnoticeable."

As I've stated in the past, I like runaway games as I avoid stress whenever I can, and knowing who is going to win "takes a load off" my brain. Plus it doesn't matter to me who wins since I watch to play the clues, not to see people. (Fellow posters here the exception. You know who you are!) I've never found any Jeopardy episode "boring."

• Love 10
15 hours ago, NYGirl said:

There were a couple of answers where she didn't form a question.

This was posted on yesterday's TheJeopardyFan.com. Andy gets his information directly from Jeopardy producers:

"There are many cases in games such as this one where the show’s editors will clip contestant’s phrasing, as there’s no other way to fit the played number of clues into time. Rest assured that every response in this game was phrased properly."

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I got duct tape, Nanette, & Taft. Guessed Ibsen for FJ; Russians didn't even enter my mind. Loved Rodrigo's answer..lol

Rodrigo reminded me of Bart Simpson's friend Milhouse. 

milhouse GIF

24 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Jason has been an invisible player IMO. He does nothing flashy or outrageous or anything to draw attention to himself, he just hunkers in and plays the game. I'm actually surprised when I see he's won as many games as he has since he's so "unnoticeable."

As I've stated in the past, I like runaway games as I avoid stress whenever I can, and knowing who is going to win "takes a load off" my brain. 

I agree about Jason. I couldn't for the life of me remember who was the returning champion at the beginning of the season, and when I saw him he was only vaguely familiar. Which is fine with me. I love his steady, knowledgeable, low-key game play. 

I like runaway games too, especially if I like the winner. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Rodrigo reminded me of Bart Simpson's friend Milhouse. 

Your gif cracked me up. Thanks. Wasn't who invented the "high five" a clue on the show recently? I know I heard it not long ago. It was during a baseball game.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I love his steady, knowledgeable, low-key game play. 

See, I hated his scrunch face, "oh I don't know this answer" fake surprise that he got it right thing. Sometimes I wonder if this show is rigged. And how he always manages to hit the DDs.

:)

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Your gif cracked me up. Thanks. Wasn't who invented the "high five" a clue on the show recently? I know I heard it not long ago. It was during a baseball game.

It was Monday in the Gimme "5" category. So yes, very recently  😃

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
55 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Sometimes I wonder if this show is rigged. And how he always manages to hit the DDs.

Fastest on the buzzer gets to pick the clue. It's as simple as that. Except mastering the buzzer is not simple, as said by everyone who has competed on this show. As for getting the DDs, see the chart above on where they are the majority of the time. You are not going to find them by starting at the top.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

It was Monday in the Gimme "5" category. So yes, very recently  😃

Given that was YESTERDAY and it was already a foggy memory ... I was thinking maybe I heard it on a radio sports talk show. My brain cells are dying so quickly, I'm lucky I can find my way to this thread. (You guys ... not so lucky I can.)

• LOL 3
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My brain cells are dying so quickly, I'm lucky I can find my way to this thread.

Cool. Maybe you'll get my FJ scores mixed up with some of the smart people here 😃

• LOL 3

Sigh. They never learn if you are in 3rd like that when the other two scores are close  and way ahead, bet nothing! 

Exciting game! Well, once I stopped yelling at the tv. Grr. Stupid Izaak Walton. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
Just now, M. Darcy said:

Sigh. They never learn if you are in 3rd like that when the other’s scores are close  and way ahead, bet nothing! 

Exciting game! Well, once I stopped yelling at the tv. Grr. Stupid Izaak Walton. 

Yup, Helen would have won if she had been smart and bet 0. Always bet 0 when the other two players have to bet to defend against each other. It was a good game. I biffed FJ, too.

• Love 5

Good thing I saw the FJ category or who knows where I would have gone with that.  not that It really helped, because I too said La Marseillaise.  Then I said, it's probably O Canada.  Then I said, stick with your first answer, Katy.  The one time that advice was wrong.  Grrr.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

See, I hated his scrunch face, "oh I don't know this answer" fake surprise that he got it right thing. Sometimes I wonder if this show is rigged. And how he always manages to hit the DDs.  :)

Alex jinxed him on the DDs today!

• Love 3

I knew you'd have something to say about the Izaak Walton clue, @M. Darcy

Like the rest of you, I couldn't believe Helen bet anything other than zero.  Zero is the only logical bet when you're in a distant third and the leaders are so close to each other.  Oh, and I missed FJ, too.  O Canada never occurred to me.  I hope this week gets better!

Not too many TS tonight -- the only one I got that I wrote down was Caesar. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Not too many TS tonight -- the only one I got that I wrote down was Caesar. 

I was in the kitchen when the clue was revealed, so didn't see it. I did, however, hear my husband yelling "Caesar" at the tv. ;-}

I was surprised Jason missed Romeo.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3