Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I just got caught up on this week’s shows. Did really well on TSs yesterday, got only one today, and missed both FJs, although I was close today. Yesterday: Sgt. Peppers, Guernica, McGhan, MBS, Giverny, but FJ-La Cage a Folles. Today: only Burr, but all I could get for FJ was Land Colleges, so I am sure they would have ruled me wrong. 

I should have known yesterday’s Fiddler on the Roof, too. I saw that in Chicago in ‘89 with Topol (my sister and I were delighted to discover a high school sort-of-classmate [he went to our brother school] in the Playbill—that show was Michael Berresse’s first national tour, and he went on to be the first Fred Kasely in the Chicago revival and later was Zach, the director in the ‘06 Chorus Line revival).

• Love 3
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I did get the Sgt. Pepper TS. My sister gave me that album for Christmas the year it came out. It was the first and last gift and only nice thing she ever did for me, ever.

Are we related? I have a sister like that.

Woo hoo!  Asterisk, baby!  Pele took me to Hawai'i, and 2018 took me to Kilauea.  I so wanted to go to Hawai'i while it was erupting -- I would love to see that in real life.

I also got endangered species. 

I would have been fine with any of our three contestants tonight, but still, am glad Jason managed to win in the end.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

For TS I got reuben and Federalist party and was pretty surprised that none of the contestants did.  On the sandwich one and one other category I got flubbed when they started at the bottom because I didn't know what they wanted.  

For FJ, I figured it was the Hawaiian volcano, but did not know the name.

• Love 1
Just now, chessiegal said:

For FJ, my husband said that volcano on the Big Island Hawai'i. Right church, but couldn't name the pew. 😀

I did the exact same thing. Knew exactly what they wanted but could not come up with the name for the life of me. Smart wagering on Jason's part today.

• Love 2

I, too, said Old Faithful even though I figured that was wrong. I thought it must be a volcano, but the only one that came to mind was Mt Saint Helens, and that didn't sound right. I didn't know Twain went to Hawaii.

I got one TS: Federalist. 

Glad Jason is continuing to win.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

For FJ, my husband said that volcano on the Big Island Hawai'i. Right church, but couldn't name the pew. 😀

Right denomination (state) - wrong pew. I came up with Mauna Loa. 

I did not do well on the boards today. I may have been distracted (yeah, that's it. 😉 )

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Driad said:

List of Land Grant Universities.  Not all are rural.

Thanks @Driad for linking to this! It was interesting to see all of the schools. My son went to several of them on his way to his PhD and he now teaches at one. Mississippi State University. I was a bit surprised to see that Cal Berkeley(He got his PhD there) and MIT(He didn't go there.😁) were two of them.

Add me to list of people who knew only the volcano in Hawaii...had no idea of the actual name.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

For FJ, my husband said that volcano on the Big Island Hawai'i.

So did I, initially; I've been there, but it still took a moment to pull the name out of my brain.

Endangered species surprised me as a TS; I thought the wording of the clue would have led someone to deduce it.  Federalist Party surprised me, too.

My biggest surprise was getting one of the Bible clues right (Abraham).

• Love 1

I was surprised that nobody got Final Jeopardy.  I thought "Pele" was a giveaway that it had to be a Hawaiian volcano, and Kilauea is the one that's been in the news most recently.  I knew it, but am not at all confident that I could have spelled it correctly.

Jason had a rocky start tonight.  If he hadn't found the two Daily Doubles in the second round, the game might have had a very different outcome.

• Love 7

According to legend, Pele curses people who take away rocks and sand. Whether the curse is real or not, maybe it reduces the number of visitors who take them. As for those who do, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park frequently receives packages of rocks and sand from remorseful tourists.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Aw, bummer that Jason is gone. Mainly because I'm not wild about the new champ. Alex said we would see Jason again in the Tournament of Champions, but he didn't mean the one coming in November, did he?

8 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Alex said we would see Jason again in the Tournament of Champions, but he didn't mean the one coming in November, did he?

I know (from Jeopardy James) that he said something like that they had gotten the news about Alex' relapse while they were taping the ToC and that was a couple of weeks ago, so I think not this year (or at least, not November. They could have a 2nd one in Feb/May to accommodate the champs that got left off of the November one, since they technically have 2 seasons worth of champions (since there wasn't one last year due to All-Star).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I said the Houston Astrodome for FJ.  I was pretty sure it wasn't right, but what are you going to do.  No TSs for me either.  I got the entire rap artists real name category wrong.  this was not a surprise.  

Goodbye to Jason, one of my very favorite players. FJ was an instaget for me and I was sure it would be for him too, but I guess all good things have to come to an end. I'm a little bummed, though I have nothing against the new champ.

• Love 2

Bummer!  I was really rooting for Jason to win again tonight.  Boo, hiss.  And it was another case where the third-place contestant should have bet nothing.  It didn't matter in the end, of course, but it could have.

I mentally travelled around the world to try to come up with FJ, but didn't make it to Australia in time, so no FJ for me tonight.

I did get ruminants and chitin, though, so there's that.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ! I have no idea how but I did. 

Likewise! I made a guess based on the fact that the clue referenced a musical composition and the composer and librettist had "British" names.

Exciting finish! I was thrilled that Gabe kept it from being another Jason runaway at the last minute. I hope he doesn't prove to be a one day wonder.

When ABC World News ended with a story on Jason, I wondered if it would jinx him.

I wish the next ToC could have a James vs. Jason face off.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ! I have no idea how but I did.

I tried thinking of buildings that are "different."  The music didn't help; I just looked for it on Youtube but no joy.

28 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Likewise! I made a guess based on the fact that the clue referenced a musical composition and the composer and librettist had "British" names.

Exciting finish! I was thrilled that Gabe kept it from being another Jason runaway at the last minute. I hope he doesn't prove to be a one day wonder.

When ABC World News ended with a story on Jason, I wondered if it would jinx him.

I wish the next ToC could have a James vs. Jason face off.

I was thinking that interview might be the kiss of death, and it was. I’ll miss Jason. 

• Love 2

Jason losing sent me into a funk and depression because my life sucks and Jason had been a comforting bright one-half hour in an otherwise gloomy existence. He was the perfect player, and I would have been happy for him to remain champion forever.

I missed Muir's curse since my antenna dropped all my ABC channels today so I had to make do with Lester tonight. I would have enjoyed a story on Jason since national news comes on after Jeopardy airs here. I could have raised a glass for a farewell toast.

• Love 3

Halftime of the football game was considerate enough to largely coincide with the J! episode, nice.

I ran the first round.  Good for me.

Not so much with the second round; I only got two hip-hop artists’ real names (and Snoop Dogg was the only one I knew outright, in that I could have answered correctly if asked “Who is Calvin Broadus?” - Chuck D I got by knowing he’s the leader of Public Enemy), I apparently don’t know my Finns very well, and I think I missed one clue in each of the other categories.

Only two or three TS tonight, and none surprised me.  The only miss that did surprise me was Christine getting the ruminant DD wrong.  Good game.

I would say the eraser clue belonged in the $200 slot in a Kids Week game, but then I realized kids probably don’t use pencils anymore.  Okay, so it belonged in the $200 slot of an adult game.

FJ was a strange experience – the Sydney Opera House popped into my mind first and quickly, but I have no prior knowledge of learning/knowing that fact, so I didn't know why it came to me and proceeded to run through several other options without ever settling on a guess.  Under game conditions, I might very well have written down nothing and then kicked myself.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I was shocked that two people didn’t get FJ right and even more shocked by the answer! Yay Jason is gone! 

I'm glad that a semi-long time champ is now gone because I prefer to have a new champion after a few games.  But Jason is a good person/player and I'll be rooting for him in TOC.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm glad that a semi-long time champ is now gone because I prefer to have a new champion after a few games.  But Jason is a good person/player and I'll be rooting for him in TOC.

I know literally nothing about him as a human being, I ffwd the intros and interviews so I don’t even know where he is from, but I found him annoying to watch play and players don’t usually bother me. 

7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I know literally nothing about him as a human being, I ffwd the intros and interviews so I don’t even know where he is from, but I found him annoying to watch play and players don’t usually bother me. 

I don't know anything about him either as I don't listen to those interviews but I liked the way he conducted himself as opposed to previous multi-week champs (like James).

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ABay said:

When ABC News runs a story on a champ, you know he or she is about to lose. Spoilers, Muir. Spoilers.

They ran several stories about James before he lost.

I was happy that Julia Collins retained her ranking for 20 victories.

• Love 1

I'll miss Jason, & so far I'm not crazy about Gabe who Dr. Toothbrush says looks like Chandler Bing. 

Thursday's FJ was an instaget, thank goodness, since it brought my total for the week to a big 2/4. Hope Friday's is easy so I finish above .500   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

FJ was a strange experience – the Sydney Opera House popped into my mind first and quickly, but I have no prior knowledge of learning/knowing that fact, so I didn't know why it came to me and proceeded to run through several other options without ever settling on a guess.  Under game conditions, I might very well have written down nothing and then kicked myself.

I thought of Sydney Opera House instantly as well, and I definitely never heard of that opera. I think the word librettist combined with the category is what got me there. 

Alex seemed very excited that the game was not a runaway, and I was too! I like it when there's a real competition. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Jason has been a good champion. That man seems to know *everything*.

Actually while the game was going on and we didn't know the outcome, I was thinking that while Jason knew a lot, he wasn't as overall knowledgeable as James. In the last few games, there were many answers that were not answered...and that didn't happen when James was around. I hate when all three contestants just stand there and look befuddled. I hope that Gabe goes from the bottom to the top also, since a lot more money is acquired during a game!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 6

I said the World Trade Center for FJ because I knew it opened in 1973, though the description of building (singular) made me think it probably wasn’t right but I could not think of anything else. 

Jason was great, but I like what we’ve seen of the new champ so far. 

• Love 2