Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Just now, Driad said:

Would that be throwing someone into a building through a window?

No, that would be intrafenestration.  Contrafenestration is when you throw someone against a window and they bounce off and hit the one on the other side of the room.

• LOL 14

I got Centennial and crossventilation, but completely blanked on FJ and ended up guessing Etch-a-Sketch. I was close on another but said “Caxon” instead of “Caxton,” and I even used early printers for my webpage design class in library school, so I know better. Feh.

My FJ thought process: Lincoln Logs! No. Too early. Play-Doh! No. Too late. Plus it was just a clue yesterday. Legos! YES! That's it! Legos! Yeay! I finally got a FJ correct!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

I got FJ right away, then wavered and thought maybe Jenga, but then stuck with my first instinct.

It doesn’t really bother me, but it seems like the hated trend of starting at the bottom of the category is going to be more common than not from now on.

• Love 1

I got crossventilation and the DD of the Suez Canal, though that was a guess.

Like others, I got FJ but really thought that the Rubik's Cube came out later. I'm thinking it was invented in 1974 but not introduced as a toy until the 80's.

I didn't know dropsy was edema.

• Love 2

Wow, when I saw the FJ question, I said Rubic's Cube immediately because of the 3-D part of the clue and thought everyone would get it...guess I was wrong about that. My son who almost always gets the correct question, had no idea...couldn't believe it but he said he thought it came out later, then he realized that it took a while to be manufactured. 

In the mid-1970s, Ernő Rubik worked at the Department of Interior Design at the Academy of Applied Arts and Crafts in Budapest. Although it is widely reported that the Cube was built as a teaching tool to help his students understand 3D objects, his actual purpose was solving the structural problem of moving the parts independently without the entire mechanism falling apart. He did not realise that he had created a puzzle until the first time he scrambled his new Cube and then tried to restore it. Rubik applied for a patent in Hungary for his "Magic Cube" (Bűvös kocka in Hungarian) on 30 January 1975, and HU170062 was granted later that year.

@saber5055 As for Lincoln Logs.....they are old! And I found the person who invented them interesting!

Lincoln Logs are a U.S. children's toy consisting of square-notched miniature logs used to build small forts and buildings. They were invented around 1916 by John Lloyd Wright, second son of the well-known architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Lincoln Logs were inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 1999.

I got cross-ventilation because I am old and that was all we had! Also got Centennial and even tho' I was hollering at the television, I guess Adam wasn't listening!!

Edited by suebee12
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Yeay! I finally got a FJ correct!

Or not! ;-)

I enjoyed Adam's DD wager. Of course, in true Philly fashion, he blew it by not knowing the answer. Guess he didn't hear me screaming Centennial at him.

I also got cross ventilation.

FJ=instaget. 

#sorrynotsorry

• Love 2

I missed tonight's game, but read the clues via the archive.

I laughed out loud at Jason's "Magellan" guess in the $200 Ferdinand clue.

I was happy to see Hull House and the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team get categories.

It's interesting that two clues in the Ocean category were about the Pacific Ocean.

Ground fault surprised me a bit as a TS, but on reflection it shouldn't have; people largely do not understand electricity (and are thus afraid of it).  Crossventilation would have surprised me in another category, but I have never seen it as one word and thus second-guessed myself, and wonder if that also tripped up the contestants.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I got cross-ventilation because I am old and that was all we had! Also got Centennial and even tho' I was hollering at the television, I guess Adam wasn't listening!!

That's all I have, too, but I still didn't get it.  

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I laughed out loud at Jason's "Magellan" guess in the $200 Ferdinand clue.

You were laughing at me, too, because that's what I said.

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ground fault surprised me a bit as a TS, but on reflection it shouldn't have; people largely do not understand electricity (and are thus afraid of it).

I said ground frequency.  I had a lot of really close, but no cigar answers last night.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's interesting that two clues in the Ocean category were about the Pacific Ocean.

I was surprised they used it twice.

Ground fault surprised me a bit as a TS

I got 'ground' but couldn't think what the F stood for.

No wonder Adam didn't get Centennial, what with everyone screaming at him.

• LOL 6
13 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I got cross-ventilation because I am old and that was all we had!

That's all we had too, but we called it "open the window and let the breeze in."

As for Lincoln Logs.....they are old! And I found the person who invented them interesting!

Mine were made of wood; I loved playing with them. I was highly disappointed to learn they went to plastic. Don't know if they are even made now. Sort of like our Monopoly game had metal tokens vs. the plastic ones today. Cheap toys today ...

I hated my Rubic's Cube.

And I found the person who invented them interesting!

I didn't know Frank Lloyd Wright was that old!

• Love 2

I got Centennial.  I've read some of Michener's books, although not that one; his writing is wonderful.  I also knew Ground Fault.  We had some electrical problems a number of years ago that boiled down to a GFCI that was faulty.

As for FJ, I guessed Lego; DH thought Rubik's Cube.  Imagine my surprise that his answer was correct!

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Mine were made of wood; I loved playing with them. I was highly disappointed to learn they went to plastic. Don't know if they are even made now. Sort of like our Monopoly game had metal tokens vs. the plastic ones today. Cheap toys today ...

At home, we had tinker toys, but at grandma's we had Lincoln logs and an erector set.  Tinker toys and Lincoln logs were wood, and the erector set was metal.  We also had Mr. Potato Head at home that used real potatoes (that we had to supply ourselves) with the plastic pieces.  That was one game that Dad would play with us.  He also played Chutes and Ladders with us sometimes.  He farmed, so in the winter he had more time at home.  Good memories.

• Love 2

I had forgotten about Tinker Toys. We had those too, wooden ones. My brother had a metal Erector Set, but it was too complicated for me to play with. I remember Mr. Potato Head that used real potatoes, but my mom didn't want us messing up what she had bought for dinner so we had to play with the neighbor kids' food.

I never played Chutes and Ladders, although I am familiar with the name.

Toys would be a good J! category. Thanks for the memories @zoey1996!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

As for FJ, I guessed Lego; DH thought Rubik's Cube.  Imagine my surprise that his answer was correct!

Same thing happened chez Trey! He was pretty pleased with himself since he doesn't get that many right.  Although, lately, neither have I🙁

• Love 2

Oh, good grief.  I went through currency in my head, and somehow skipped over the $20, even though I get $20s when I get cash.  So, I missed FJ, again.  I skipped over the $2, also, so I didn't think of Jefferson, either.  I went with Grant for absolutely no reason whatsoever except that I didn't think it was Washington, Lincoln, or Franklin.

I did, however, get canvas, Mercurochrome, pigeons, and Massachusetts.  I was surprised that they missed canvas and pigeons, but I guess Mercurochrome was Before Their Time.

• Love 5

I can't believe I got so many tonight...I never,ever get more than 2 or 3.  Got 9 in total (but somehow missed 411--how could that be--that was from my era!) and missed FJ.  Jason seemed off tonight.  Maybe he wasn't feeling well?  Especially at the start.  In any event, it nurtured my ego and then we went outside and saw the space station flying SW to NE (normally when these things happen, it's overcast here and we never get to see anything).

Merchurochrome I was trying to say but couldn't remember the proper pronunciation although I could see that little bottle with its stopper so clearly. Panel once again too young ;>)

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 6

Hee, my first thought was Aaron Burr but quickly realized he is not on a bill of any size so then I went through all of the others and luckily I stuck with Jackson(who will soon be replaced again!)

Alex is always pretty good with pronunciations but for years he has mangled Powhatan! I wish someone would point out it is Pow-ha-tan....not Po-hat-an....I don't think he has ever pronounced  it correctly(this coming from a VA born person who had years and years of Virginia history and who's high school played Powhatan High school regularly! (as far as I can remember Art Fleming had problems also...I remember my mother and me yelling at the television as if that would help!)

• Useful 1

I couldn't remember Mercurochrome, so I said betadine, though I guess that's a brand name and not even the same thing.

For TSs, I got canvas, Joseph Campbell, and pigeons. I did not get FJ. 😞

I thought the Apple browser being called iBrowse was pretty cute.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Have a question for any of you that have to use the closed captioning feature.  Is anybody else having a really hard time with it this season.  It skips whole words and misspelled others sometimes spelling complete gibberish.  Am I alone here? Really would like to know.

Also, sorry for posting this late. Anyone else root for Rodrigo on Monday,  he seemed like a lovable nerd...his look and speech reminded me of a young Jerry Lewis.

• Love 2

He didn't hear me either....wonder how many of us, he didn't  hear?

He didn't hear me and I screamed said it four times.

As for Rubic Cube---a toy I shall never again forget the name of---Mr. Author made motions with his hands and fingers, but couldn't come up with the name, while I said, "You know, that thingy Will Smith played with, in the car, in Pursuit of Happyness."

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Have a question for any of you that have to use the closed captioning feature.  Is anybody else having a really hard time with it this season.  It skips whole words and misspelled others sometimes spelling complete gibberish.  Am I alone here? Really would like to know.

I always watch with closed captions and I haven't noticed anything off.  I'll try to pay more attention to it next week.

What, no one else here was yelling "OUTLANDER!" at Jason's missed DD? No wonder he missed it with only me telling him what to say.

I got mercurochrome. When I was a kid, Mom gave us a choice of red or green medicine (Bactine). Once we learned green didn't sting, that was our choice. Now I prefer red, and merthiolate is in my medicine cabinet. It also appears to contain mercury.

While Black Hawk wasn't a TS, I yelled "Illinois" anyway. I grew up near Black Hawk State Park, 200 acres on the Rock River where the Sauk/Fox lived. There is a museum (with a statue of Black Hawk) and the story kids were told was, the big kettle on display was where Black Hawk was boiled to death. (Not true, he died of respiratory failure in Iowa.) His image is used by many businesses in this area of Illinois. I'm positive no tribe gets royalties from any of them.

The image of James used in the commercial for the TOC bore an unsettling resemblance to Simon Cowell.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

While Black Hawk wasn't a TS

Some time ago Chicago Black Hawks was the answer to FJ - the clue being that this was the only NHL team named after an actual person.

• Useful 5
31 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

What, no one else here was yelling "OUTLANDER!" at Jason's missed DD? No wonder he missed it with only me telling him what to say.

Oh, yes, I forgot - I was yelling OUTLANDER! also.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Iodine! I've been trying to recall that name ever since the show. My mom used Mercurichrome at home & it didn't hurt. But at my grade school, the nurse used Iodine & it stung like h*ll. Both were red. I bet Iodine had cayenne in it.

Last night when they showed the TOC promo with dear ol' James photo, I too finally figured out who he looked like...Simon Cowell. Same smirky mug.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Mercurochrome and merthiolate sting like a bugger, which is why as kids we always chose green medicine (Bactine has an anesthetic in it) over red. Now all I use is red because it does sting, in my mind the burn is killing the germs. I also keep iodine and betadine, we dip calf and foal navels in one or the other as soon as they are able to stand.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

No it does not. Tincture of iodine is iodine in ethanol.

Apologies if you were joking.

I should've put a goofy face on my post--yes, I was joking. It just felt like something fire-like was in Iodine (so I was very careful on the playground to not fall down and scrape a knee or elbow!) 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I felt very smart watching Friday's game, with one exception. I had no idea for the lowest value clue in the trials category. I have never heard of the Sacco Vanzetti trial, and when I looked it up, it wasn't even a familiar story. 

I got FJ by wildly guessing someone I thought might be on American money. Yay for good guessing!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Fex said:

I felt very smart watching Friday's game, with one exception. 

I did  too and it made me suspicious, along with Jason's odd behavior (slow in responding, getting so many, for Jason, wrong). It's not that I don't know a lot of the answers...I just can't come up with them so lickety-split fast!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I did  too and it made me suspicious, along with Jason's odd behavior (slow in responding, getting so many, for Jason, wrong). It's not that I don't know a lot of the answers...I just can't come up with them so lickety-split fast!!

It could just be that he's a bit tired.  That's the end of two long days of playing 10 games of J!, and a lot of stress and mental energy.  I think the real reason so many who look like they could be long running champs aren't is because of the endurance factor.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Fex said:

I have never heard of the Sacco Vanzetti trial, and when I looked it up, it wasn't even a familiar story. 

Sacco and Vanzetti is one of those trials that -- somehow -- I learned the name of early in life, but never knew what it was about. Same with Leopold and Loeb, although I recently saw a tv show about that one. Both are named as two of the top trials of the 20th century by Mental Floss, along with ones we all (should) know like Manson and OJ. Interesting reading.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

TS I got were governor general, Iran, canvas, mercurochrome, pigeons. Jefferson seemed too obvious for FJ so I knew it was wrong, but in going through who is on US bills, Andrew Jackson wasn't even an option - I would have guessed Washington before Jackson! 

The ToC ad they played during the show really highlighted James. No doubt to @lb60's delight..lol Let's see if any of the other players will get their moment in the spotlight. Except Ryan the puppy abandoner. They can skip him. 

On 9/20/2019 at 11:40 PM, Poohbear617 said:

Also, sorry for posting this late. Anyone else root for Rodrigo on Monday,  he seemed like a lovable nerd...his look and speech reminded me of a young Jerry Lewis.

I liked him too. He reminded me of Bart Simpson's friend Milhouse. 

James has reminded me of Simon Cowell from the get-go. 

• Love 6
On 9/20/2019 at 11:40 PM, Poohbear617 said:

Anyone else root for Rodrigo on Monday, 

While I don't pay much attention to how players act or look, this reminded me that I meant to comment on Tuesday's Colin Kennedy, he was the epitome of sartorial splendor, something I greatly appreciated.