Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

57 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
1 hour ago, Driad said:

A decade or two ago, I was able to spend three days at the Air and Space Museum.  At that time it was possible to see the whole museum in three days.  It would probably take longer now.

Because you're older and your walker doesn't have wheels?

Bwahaha ... I crack me up.

Cute, Saber.  Because they keep adding new exhibits to the museum.  When I was there, it was all in one building, but now there is another out in Virginia.

• Love 1

We laughed at Boss Hogg, not gonna lie. That is 100% the type of error I would make if I ever were to make it on the show & actually be able to signal first, neither of which would happen in a million years. 

TS I got were assisted living, old man (guess), Orphan Black, child's pose. FJ was an instaget, & I hope to visit the museum again, only this time without a toddler & being 6 months pregnant with twins. 

I know very little about country music, but that category was so freaking easy. Having said that, it's already set up to record because I love historical documentaries, and I remember listening to old-school country with my grandfather when I was but a wee Toothbrush. Bonus is that it is narrated by Peter Coyote, who has the best voice around now that Alan Rickman has departed the mortal coil. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

And the one in Virginia has the Enola Gay.

Jason continues to be impressive. He seems so calm.

We did the Udvar-Hazy building this summer and loved it. We had been there when it first opened, but they didn't have the full Space Shuttle Discovery display area set up then. Just a great, great trip. I cannot recommend it highly enough, especially if you can go with someone like my husband who is a military history buff. 

I'm just happy to be able to see Jeopardy at all. We have Direct TV and they have been fighting with the owners of our local channels all summer. Jeopardy is on CBS for me and we got it back just in time. My ABC and CW channels are still blocked. GRRR!!!

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

We laughed at Boss Hogg, not gonna lie. That is 100% the type of error I would make if I ever were to make it on the show & actually be able to signal first

Instead of Charlie Pride, I said Charlie Rich. I always do that even though I really do know who's who.

I didn't get any TSs. I knew Orphan Black but had to pause my recording to go thru the alphabet in my head until I reached the O's and jogged my memory.

Got FJ, too.

I felt sorry for Jeff. He was a great player but up against an excellent player who lucked out getting both DDs. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

We laughed at Boss Hogg, not gonna lie. That is 100% the type of error I would make if I ever were to make it on the show & actually be able to signal first, neither of which would happen in a million years. 

TS I got were assisted living, old man (guess), Orphan Black, child's pose. FJ was an instaget, & I hope to visit the museum again, only this time without a toddler & being 6 months pregnant with twins. 

I know very little about country music, but that category was so freaking easy. Having said that, it's already set up to record because I love historical documentaries, and I remember listening to old-school country with my grandfather when I was but a wee Toothbrush. Bonus is that it is narrated by Peter Coyote, who has the best voice around now that Alan Rickman has departed the mortal coil. 

We laughed too, it sounded like all three contestants laughed too - so maybe he can shrug it off. I hope so.

I know nothing about yoga (though I got upward dog because I've heard of downward dog and took a wild guess), got assisted living, and old man, but was furious that Orphan Black would not come into my mind, though I saw the actress - saw the scene described. Argghh!

I was raised on country - and would have run the category except that my husband beat me to Charlie Pride. They seemed incredibly easy to me. But of course, if you know it, it's easy.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Charlie Pride, I said Charlie Rich. I always do that even though I really do know who's who.

I have the same issue.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Huh. It never dawned on me that there were two gems prevalent in the story. I went right to ruby slippers when arriving at the answer.

My own trivia is that my childhood piano teacher, Romola Remus, played Dorothy in the first, silent-screen film version of The Wizard of Oz.

Your piano teacher's name sounds like she should be a character in Harry Potter. She'd fit right in with all the other teachers. 🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I think the clue for filly was "What is a young female horse?" or something like that.

Oh and I think it has to end in ly? There have was couple things lately  where I wanted to go back and check. J!archive doesn't seem to be updated yet. Is there some other  place to check?

Apparently this didn't post because it was still in my edit buffer when I went to post something today. So, a little late...

--------

And regarding Friday's game:

Kudos to Alex for pronouncing "primer" correctly in the context of the clue. Not a coat of paint!

Edited by SoMuchTV
Clarifying because 2 posts for merged
  • Love 5

Apparently, I have deleted the election of 2016 from my brain, as it never occurred to me for FJ tonight.  Also, I started thinking about states with multiple presidents, or multiple presidential candidates, and never made it to New York.  Oh well! 

The only TS I got (and there weren't many to get!), was odium.  And I said, confidently, "Stalag 13!" instead of Stalag 17.  I know nothing!

And on a shallow note, I did not like Tabitha's top tonight.  The sleeve-like things annoyed me. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I'm sorry, but was there no mirror in the studio that Tabitha could have glanced in before going on national television? Not that I have any sense of fashion, because I don't, but that was not a good look.

FJ came to me at the last second. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was afraid that Alex jinxed Jason by mentioning his lucky tie, but no need to fret as it turned out. He is getting more aggressive in his 2nd round DD wagering 👍

The only TS I got was Socrates & that was a big fat guess. I also figured FJ was from colonial or at least pre-Civil War era so was going to settle for 3/5 for the week, but like @SoMuchTV decided to start backwards & there it was. Overthinking is one of my super powers. 

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And regarding Friday's game:

Kudos to Alex for pronouncing "primer" correctly in the context of the clue. Not a coat of paint!

We said the same thing!

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And on a shallow note, I did not like Tabitha's top tonight.  The sleeve-like things annoyed me. 

I don't like them either. They look dumb & the purpose of sleeves is to keep my arms warm. They can go away & take cold shoulder tops with them. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Apparently, I have deleted the election of 2016 from my brain

Ah, now I have an excuse for why I didn't get it. I thought and thought then took a wild stab at 1960.

And I said, confidently, "Stalag 13!" instead of Stalag 17.  I know nothing!

Ha! I said Stalag 19!

BTW, in yesterday's game, I was sure that Jeff, when picking a clue, said the category name as "Anamotomical." I replayed it twice and am pretty sure that's what he said, not that it would make any difference in scoring.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Apparently, I have deleted the election of 2016 from my brain, as it never occurred to me for FJ tonight. 

Me either! I was banking on it being a fairly recent election, since I figured that would have to be something a person remembers happening rather than being able to scan through all of the elections and remember the state the president AND the losing opponent were from. Not many people are that good at presidential trivia. So with that logic, I started with Obama and McCain and worked my way back (apparently in addition to blocking out 2016, I paid no attention in 2012).

Needless to say, I did not get FJ today.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Your piano teacher's name sounds like she should be a character in Harry Potter. She'd fit right in with all the other teachers. 🙂

She had quite the life, which I wish I'd known when I was butchering piano pieces with her. Her father was George Remus, a Chicago lawyer turned bootlegger, upon whom the character of Gatsby was supposedly based. He killed his second wife upon getting out of prison -- she'd taken up with the fed who put him behind bars -- and Romola was all over Time magazine in her 1920s flapper clothes, supporting her daddy. He beat the rap; she performed in vaudeville palaces to pay for his legal bills. All I knew was she showed infinite patience with my lack of musical talent and gave me a Bible for Christmas. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I have a nitpick with the hunting clue about Maryland having three hunting seasons, the third being ... ARCHERY? WTH show, there is no "archery season" and there are no "archery hunters." The correct term is bow hunters, they hunt during BOW SEASON with their BOWS, not their archerys. And it's not just Maryland, most if not all states have three deer seasons: muzzleloader, bow and rifle. Rifle is last, to, you know, clean out all the animals the other two seasons missed. Interestingly, one can bow hunt during rifle season, but one has to use a crossbow during muzzleloader season.

Ask some redneck if he's going to hunt during "archery" season, and he'll kick you out of his pickup truck.

And Trebek, bows come in different weights/strengths for pull/release, and there are compound bows too. They require different levels of strength to shoot the bow. So a 90-pound weakling and a 300-lb. strongman will use different bows. You pick your bow based on your ability to pull combined with what its use will be.

Trebek needs to stop with his impersonations. His Hitchcock wasn't good but I'm sure it helped everyone everywhere answer that clue. So irritating.

I about freaked when that $2000 clue answer was "Leonidas" and Jason answered correctly. Just to wave my banner again, Leonidas was the FJ TS last season ... ya'll remember, when I was the only one to get the asterisk that week. It was my one day of glory in that contest and I'm not going to forget it.

As for today's FJ, as soon as I saw they wanted the year, I slapped my money on the table and said, "I'm out." -- TM Kramer

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

Am I crazy or has the DD shown up in  the bottom answer more since James and now Jason start at the bottom?

I think it's always been at or near the bottom more often than anywhere else. It might make for a fun twist to start putting it under the $200 clue more often.

I'm not crazy about runaway games, especially those where the champ has a huge lead before the first commercial.

I managed to get odium and Socrates. I got FJ after trying to think of dates way back when it seemed that every president was from Virginia or Massachusetts.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

It's actually the Smithsonian Institution, not Institute. (Just so no one gets it wrong for future Jeopardy episodes.)

Thank you for the correction - I was thinking the other day I might not have stated that correctly. I moved to the DC area in 1978. When people from out of town would come to visit, I would ask them what they wanted to see. More times than not, they would say "The Smithsonian". Explanations were needed.

• Love 2

I also missed the final, although maybe in a worse way - I did think of Trump, thought "hm, he's from NY ..." and then just started counting back from there without even coming up who he ran against. sigh.

BTW if there's anyone who hasn't seen Alex Jacob's dzaaaaaaaaaaaahnr Trebek compilation that I posted in the Small Talk thread, you might want to so I'll put it here (although I am not responsible if your head explodes, take it up with Alex (either of them)). 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Am I crazy or has the DD shown up in  the bottom answer more since James and now Jason start at the bottom?

My husband said the same thing - he read some kind of article about how it wasn't often the bottom answer (don't ask me, I didn't listen that closely, so I'm not responsible for the accuracy of this statement - 😉

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I have a nitpick with the hunting clue about Maryland having three hunting seasons, the third being ... ARCHERY? WTH show, there is no "archery season" and there are no "archery hunters." The correct term is bow hunters, they hunt during BOW SEASON with their BOWS, not their archerys. And it's not just Maryland, most if not all states have three deer seasons: muzzleloader, bow and rifle. Rifle is last, to, you know, clean out all the animals the other two seasons missed. Interestingly, one can bow hunt during rifle season, but one has to use a crossbow during muzzleloader season.

Knowing nothing about hunting or hunting seasons, I said bow (and arrow...). So I feel pleased with myself, I measured up to your expectations. 🙂

I think we must have blocked 2016 out of our minds - neither of us got there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

11 hours ago, Brookside said:

The pronunciation is acceptable both ways. 

For both meanings, though?  I learned "primmer" in first grade for the instructional sense (vs. "prymer" for the paint), and the only "official" sources (dictionaries both paper and online) still seem to agree.  I've found a lot of opinions online that disagree, but does an actual dictionary-type source back that up?

Just wondering if I have to stop being annoyed when I think I hear people mispronouncing it.  I guess that would free up some bandwidth for other things...

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just wondering if I have to stop being annoyed when I think I hear people mispronouncing it.  I guess that would free up some bandwidth for other things...

I try to ration my annoyances these days - but I find Jeopardy is a release valve to let me be snitty and get over it by the end of the show (or at least, by the time I post about it - lol)

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

She had quite the life, which I wish I'd known when I was butchering piano pieces with her. Her father was George Remus, a Chicago lawyer turned bootlegger, upon whom the character of Gatsby was supposedly based. 

He was also a character in Boardwalk Empire. Interesting life she's had.

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I have a nitpick with the hunting clue about Maryland having three hunting seasons, the third being ... ARCHERY? WTH show, there is no "archery season" and there are no "archery hunters." The correct term is bow hunters, they hunt during BOW SEASON with their BOWS, not their archerys.

I said crossbow and wondered if that would have been accepted. Seems like they would have accepted the stringy thing with the pointy stick.

I about freaked when that $2000 clue answer was "Leonidas" and Jason answered correctly. Just to wave my banner again, Leonidas was the FJ TS last season ... ya'll remember, when I was the only one to get the asterisk that week. It was my one day of glory in that contest and I'm not going to forget it.

I missed it, though I remembered it was a recent answer. Mnemonic time! Saber5055 --> sabertooth tiger --> lion --> Leonidas! Well, that may get me to remember you got it right (all by your lonesome).

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

have a nitpick with the hunting clue about Maryland having three hunting seasons, the third being ... ARCHERY? WTH show, there is no "archery season" and there are no "archery hunters." The correct term is bow hunters, they hunt during BOW SEASON with their BOWS, not their archerys.

I just looked up the Maryland hunting season calendar on the state website and there is one place on the white-tailed deer section that says "archery also open."  

https://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/Documents/Hunting_Seasons_Calendar.pdf

and also this statement under deer hunting rules:

an Archery Stamp is required for Archery Deer Season and a Muzzleloader Stamp is required for Muzzleloader Deer Season (Deer Regulations for Archery, Muzzleloader, Firearms & Airguns).

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/deer-seasons-regulations/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just binged the whole week, and since I am in the Chicago suburbs, that meant I missed Thursday’s ep due to the weather news and didn’t know about it being shown in the wee hours. Oh well, I got the final question in the FJ contest thread—thanks!

Anyway, got only a few TSs this week and two FJs. Got Melissa Mccarthy (fellow Franny, nickname for St. Francis Academy, our high school five years apart), Prius, and boxing on Monday, but guessed Tyre for Goliath’s town (he’s Phillistine, not Phoenician, damnit!), only got Austen and FJ on Tuesday, Cuzco and misspelled jig on Wednesday (got hung up on the Plains state part of the clue for FJ and guessed Sarah, Plain and Tall), and got nothing, including FJ, on Friday. So, overall, ugh!

I also said archery for bow hunting, even though my brother does that since taking archery as his PE requirement in college (I remember our dog sniffing at his equipment and freaking out when my brother pulled out the scent bottles, especially the skunk one).

Very cool about your piano teacher being George Remus’ daughter! He is prominently featured in the second ep of Ken Burns’ series Prohibition, voiced by Paul Giamatti. 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I just looked up the Maryland hunting season calendar on the state website and there is one place on the white-tailed deer section that says "archery also open."

Well, nuts. That's why the clue specifically said Maryland. I'm in the Great Midwestern Land of Deer Hunters, where businesses have to close because everyone is off "sick" (translation: hunting) on opening day. I guess the good old boys around here bow hunt while the upper crust hoity toity in Maryland perform archery.

Thanks for looking that up and posting. I stand corrected!

More than once I've passed some woods, a bunch of pickups parked around it. Then I drive a bit further and there's the big buck galloping across the field and over the fences, leaving all those boys in its dust. Makes me laugh. It's common to see deer crossing the fields south of me; my horses will spot them and look, it's amazing what they can see.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I guess the good old boys around here bow hunt while the upper crust hoity toity in Maryland perform archery.

I live in Maryland - redneck country - there is nothing hoity toity about the hunters I know.

• LOL 2
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Well, nuts. That's why the clue specifically said Maryland. I'm in the Great Midwestern Land of Deer Hunters, where businesses have to close because everyone is off "sick" (translation: hunting) on opening day. I guess the good old boys around here bow hunt while the upper crust hoity toity in Maryland perform archery.

Thanks for looking that up and posting. I stand corrected!

More than once I've passed some woods, a bunch of pickups parked around it. Then I drive a bit further and there's the big buck galloping across the field and over the fences, leaving all those boys in its dust. Makes me laugh. It's common to see deer crossing the fields south of me; my horses will spot them and look, it's amazing what they can see.

In my state the season is officially "bow and arrow."  That's more precise.  In your state you have to just throw the bow and hope to hit them in just the right spot:)  OK, bad joke.

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

In my state the season is officially "bow and arrow."  That's more precise.  In your state you have to just throw the bow and hope to hit them in just the right spot:)  OK, bad joke.

LOL! Actually, that's a good point. And it is a pretty good joke. So thanks!

12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I live in Maryland - redneck country - there is nothing hoity toity about the hunters I know.

I had no idea Maryland had red necks! I'm learning so much today.

• LOL 2
22 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I found this a while back and saved it thinking it would help me find DDs if I got on the show. 

DailyDoubleLocator.png.b967769cfa660ac53e85f76e573f35ab.png

Edited by PBnJay
  • Useful 6
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

I found this a while back and saved it thinking it would help me find DDs if I got on the show. 

I guess the point is, never pick the first clue in the second or last category. Or any of the first clues if you want to find the DD! Thanks for posting!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Etta Place said:

BTW if there's anyone who hasn't seen Alex Jacob's dzaaaaaaaaaaaahnr Trebek compilation that I posted in the Small Talk thread, you might want to so I'll put it here (although I am not responsible if your head explodes, take it up with Alex (either of them)). 

I only made it through 22 seconds of that video before I had to turn it off. I love Alex, but that was painful.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The outdoor show on the radio this morning was all about archery season/bow season, archery hunting/bow hunting. It's like I'm being trolled by the Archery Poltergeist. Heading now to my corner to sit quietly and not say anything more.

Everyone: "Good. Stay there."

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

The outdoor show on the radio this morning was all about archery season/bow season, archery hunting/bow hunting. It's like I'm being trolled by the Archery Poltergeist. Heading now to my corner to sit quietly and not say anything more.

Everyone: "Good. Stay there."

Taking my response to small talk.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, Sharpie66 said:

Very cool about your piano teacher being George Remus’ daughter! He is prominently featured in the second ep of Ken Burns’ series Prohibition, voiced by Paul Giamatti. 

Oh, nice! I have that on my DVR waiting to be watched. I'll pay special attention. Thank you!

Friday’s FJ seemed toddler-level to me. I kept thinking there had to be some twist to it I was missing, it couldn’t possibly be that easy and obvious. “The most recent presidential election...” and it actually is the most recent presidential election.  

And now that I read so many people here missed it I am absolutely shocked. I am awful with Presidential information. I’m from New York though. 

Edited by Cotypubby