Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 8/20/2020 at 9:31 AM, MrAtoz said:

That's interesting; I feel the same way about my losing game.  I sometimes find myself replaying it in my mind, trying to figure out whether, if I had not made those two or three bad guesses, I would have had enough money left to be leading by FJ (we all got it right, so basically whoever had the lead going in would have won).

I remember that last game of yours, Scott. I should - I faced Suzanne in the next game, her return as champ. At the end of Double, I had a $4000 lead but none of us got it right, so I ended up third. The category "The European Union" could have been anything. And of the five shows taped that day, any of the other FJs would've made me a winner.😯 Well, you win some and you lose some (or at least, you win some!).

• Love 4

It was fun watching both of you guys. Hoping for more of "us' to make it on the show. Tip: It won't be Saber!

Nabir has a great voice. He could be a radio announcer, or tv guy, easy.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Just watched a rerun of one of Jackie Fuchs' wins, and it still pisses me off that they gave her credit for Sgt. Pepper.  That is not the name of the album.  God, I had forgotten how much I disliked her.

Giving Jackie credit for that half answer was especially harsh after watching Nabir get docked for answering "Soul Sister" instead of "Hey, Soul Sister" on Friday.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Jeopardy just tweeted “Brand new episodes are coming soon. To help hold you over, 2 weeks of games from last season.”

I hope we see at least one episode each from MacKenzie Jones and Jennifer Quail! Loved their runs,

2 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

They updated it to say it’s the shows from the last two weeks of the season 

So, new to us episodes?  I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

So, new to us episodes?  I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually it is the last two weeks of the 36th season, which ended with Zach Newkirk as a 4 day champion, so still repeats. Two weeks of that.

Bring on new episodes, I'm hungry!!!!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

They updated it to say it’s the shows from the last two weeks of the season 

I knew this had to be recent-ish. It felt very familiar. If I kept score, I probably would have done pretty well.

4 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Actually it is the last two weeks of the 36th season, which ended with Zach Newkirk as a 4 day champion, so still repeats. Two weeks of that.

Today's ep was a rerun of Week 35 of Season 36, Episode 171 that aired on May 18, 2020. Counting that week and the May 18 episode, there were four weeks, 20 episodes, that aired before Season 36 was closed.

If that makes me look smart, know that it pays to have the FJ Contest records stored away here. (Gah, I still haven't gotten prizes mailed ...)

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't know FJ the first time around, but this time it was an instaget! (And no, I didn't write down the correct response when it first aired -- I actually remembered it!)

Same here! And it was an asterisk! I was hoping on the rerun at least one of the players would have gotten it correct.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I got it both times. Sounds like I'm bragging, but I'm not. I just don't mention when I miss, which is more often than when I get them.

Instead of bragging, let's reframe it to "excited we got it right."  I only mention the ones I got wrong when I can write something funny about it. 🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I would like to see a category of "Broadway Physics" (after the mid-category change from the re-airing tonight (Friday)).  That seems like it could be a lot of fun, and a good DJ round.  But they would probably only make it a FJ, instead of coming up with 6 clues.  And I don't know why tonight that seems like such an important thing to say, when I don't think I gave it a moment's thought the first time I heard it.  It's been a long time since new J!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

And I don't know why tonight that seems like such an important thing to say, when I don't think I gave it a moment's thought the first time I heard it. 

I didn't hear Broadway Physics the first time either, but I agree with you, it would be a swell category. And I'll bet the writers could come up with plenty of clues, no problem.

Speaking of hearing things for the first time on this rerun, I cracked up when Trebek pronounced that Wisconsin sausage treat as "brat," like "Your kid is a real brat." I'm near Wisconsin and love a good brat. Only we Midwesterners/Wisconsinites say brat with a soft a, like bra with a t on the end. I've been to more than a few braaah-t fests.

But now I'm wondering if in other regions, and Canada, it's pronounced like a naughty sausage, "bratty."

• Love 3
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Speaking of hearing things for the first time on this rerun, I cracked up when Trebek pronounced that Wisconsin sausage treat as "brat," like "Your kid is a real brat." I'm near Wisconsin and love a good brat. Only we Midwesterners/Wisconsinites say brat with a soft a, like bra with a t on the end. I've been to more than a few braaah-t fests.

But now I'm wondering if in other regions, and Canada, it's pronounced like a naughty sausage, "bratty."

I've always said "braaaht" - it's the way I grew up saying it in Germany. But I'd never  been sure of the pronunciation in the US, as it's rarely come up as a topic in conversation. I also say the full on "bratwurst" with a German accent, so I'd get some shade about that if I were on Jeopardy.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've always said "braaaht" - it's the way I grew up saying it in Germany. But I'd never  been sure of the pronunciation in the US, as it's rarely come up as a topic in conversation. I also say the full on "bratwurst" with a German accent, so I'd get some shade about that if I were on Jeopardy.

I agree, it's braaahtwurst. But thinking about how Trebek pronounced it the naughty-sausage way, brAt, reminded me of the Bill Swerski’s Superfans sketches on SNL, those Chicago Bears fans would have said brAtwurst. And they did! Hear it about halfway through the below video when the waitress brings the brAtworst.

Da Bears!

Hoping for a Bratwurst category when @Clanstarling gets on Jeopardy so we have reason to throw shade. (As if we need a reason ...)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 9/7/2020 at 1:48 PM, saber5055 said:

No Jeopardy here today, Labor Day. Golf instead. Hope everyone is having a nice day, and none of you have to labor on Labor Day.

I don't even know if it was on. I didn't even think about it until almost bedtime. Was at a funeral and got home early evening but between that and the holiday I was just so thrown off I didn't even remember it was Monday. (Even today at work I forgot it was Tuesday for a while.)

Got home late today and missed most of the first round, but going into DJ only one player had money, which had me wondering what happens if there is only one person with money after DJ...I guess they still do the FJ round...has that ever happened?

7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Got home late today and missed most of the first round, but going into DJ only one player had money, which had me wondering what happens if there is only one person with money after DJ...I guess they still do the FJ round...has that ever happened?

Yes, about five years ago, and I think once before that.  (And yes, they still did FJ.)

The rule book states if all three are in the red at the end of DJ, there will be no FJ played, but as far as I know that has never happened, and I don't know what they'd do to fill the time - have Alex explain the rule and talk about how this is the first time it's ever happened, I guess.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

The curse...Diana Rigg just died, and she was in a clue in last night's rerun 

"Diana Rigg's character on this show got her name from the "man appeal" or "M. appeal" the producers wanted"

Hmmm ... is it still a curse if someone dies within days of a rerun rather than when the show airs live? Seems unfair that the curse gets two shots at some folks.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I can’t believe we start the new season on Monday!  

Was just watching Seth Meyers from the other night and he mentioned at the end of his monologue that Jeopardy is coming back:

"Oh, I know this one! What is 'The one good thing that has happened in 2020'?"

• Love 13