Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

This was FJ question 13, week 3, of season 35:

Category: Authors. After this woman’s death, her daughter wrote, “As far as we in the family are concerned, the alphabet now ends at Y.” Answer: Sue Grafton

I've also seen it in the J6 clues, plus during regular categories on the board, not just FJ.

oK......anyone else live in the charlotte area?  I think they showed a repeat last night in the regular time slot then, which is why I am so confused.  The show was ALL screwed up as it was shown.  They had some coronavirus interruptions, started late, showed it all up to the last half of double jeopardy, then cut out, skipped the last half of it, then went to this FJ Sue Grafton question above.  What I miss

I know I am not crazy at least.  Now I see who I have no idea what people are talking about.  I know I don't always pay close attention and get distracted and don't know all the answers, but I am not that bad. 

Trebek irritated me with his announcement of "It was before their time" after revealing the FJ category. That could have (and maybe did in Michonne's case) affected FJ wagers. Plus, doesn't everyone have access to ME TV and Antenna TV? I get reruns of Leave It To Beaver, Andy Griffith, Hazel, and The Rifleman is on right now, all old-timey BW TV shows that were "before my time." But I can answer any question about them and dozens more.

6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The show was ALL screwed up as it was shown. 

I think that Sue Grafton question was on the board in yesterday's game even though it was a FJ last year. Either that, or it was in J6; I just remember seeing it again. Check the J Archive to see what you missed yesterday. One day my station played a rerun of a show from last year when everyone else had a new episode. Don't go crazy on us!

3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Plus, doesn't everyone have access to ME TV and Antenna TV?

I don't ☹️ When my daughter 'cut the cable' I lost MeTV right in the middle of a re-watch of My Three Sons. We do get a channel that plays some old timey TV (though I am old enough to have watched them the first time around) but I came in right at the end of their showing of Ironsides.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

Too small for a sign!  It's south of Lake Oswego, off I205 if you're ever craving some rude tchotkes.

I figured. I did look it up on Google Maps when you first mentioned it - been past that exit many times. That's how I know Drain and Boring - from freeway signs.

Not that much into buying rude tchotkes, but looking at them is fun.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

Maude, Good Times and The Jeffersons were all spin-offs (Maude and The Jeffersons from All in the Family, Good Times from Maude) I would expect the 'warning' to come with the 'original' show. All in the Family.

Yes, certainly, but they wouldn't have been stupid answers if someone didn't know they were spin-offs of All in the Family.  Wrong, but not stupid.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't have devices for downloads other than my computer, and I hate reading books on the computer.  I'm waiting impatiently for my local library to reopen.  And reading a couple of things I have on hand.

No smartphone? I was astonished at how easy it was to read on my phone. I'd dismissed it for years (and also don't like reading on the computer), but the high rez phone screens make a world of difference. I now read mostly on my phone. It took a little getting used to, I'll grant you that. But I love having a literal pocket library. I have both a Kindle app and an app from my library.

Having a husband who refuses to get a smartphone, I know that some people don't like them. I was a late adopter, but I'm sold.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

No smartphone? I was astonished at how easy it was to read on my phone. I'd dismissed it for years (and also don't like reading on the computer), but the high rez phone screens make a world of difference. I now read mostly on my phone. It took a little getting used to, I'll grant you that. But I love having a literal pocket library. I have both a Kindle app and an app from my library.

Having a husband who refuses to get a smartphone, I know that some people don't like them. I was a late adopter, but I'm sold.

Nope, can't afford the service or a new phone.  All I do with my phone is send texts & make calls once in awhile, so I don't really want to spend the money.  Eventually TracFone will stop supporting the cellphone I have (probably when they upgrade to 4G everywhere) and I'll probably have to get a smart phone then.  Last time they upgraded, they gave me a new phone, but I'm sure it's too much to hope next time.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Nope, can't afford the service or a new phone.  All I do with my phone is send texts & make calls once in awhile, so I don't really want to spend the money.  Eventually TracFone will stop supporting the cellphone I have (probably when they upgrade to 4G everywhere) and I'll probably have to get a smart phone then.  Last time they upgraded, they gave me a new phone, but I'm sure it's too much to hope next time.

My husband went through the ringer when they stopped supporting his last cellphone. Good luck, it's a frustrating experience.

Well, today was my day for Jeopardy to be interrupted after player interviews to air a bunch of hot-air bloviating and BS. None of the other networks carried it, and Jeopardy airs right before local then national news. I could hear channels being switched all over the broadcast region. Mine being the loudest.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Almost instaget FJ for me tonight.  I had to think about what might be unveiled, and then I spend the rest of the time trying to remember if her name really was Emma Lazarus or if I had something wrong somewhere.  Lazarus just didn't sound right, but I stuck with it for lack of anything else.

I would like to thank Cheech Marin for my knowing chicharrones.  I also got hit the nail on the head, and promotion, which was a little surprising.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was so close on FJ.  I said Mary Lazarus.  I don't think Emily Dickinson was a particularly good guess for Alex to comment upon it.  Not knocking her for not knowing it and taking a guess. Better than Elizabeth Barrett who most definitely was not American.

The only TS I got were Slapstick and schoolteacher.  

I got the entire cateogory of film analysis right which is weird because movies aren't generally my thing.  Didn't have a great night tonight.  I'm so tired.  I wake up every morning at 2:30 because of Corona related dreams and can't get back to sleep, so I try to get a nap in in the afternoon.  For whatever reason, I didn't take one today.  Maybe that means I can sleep through the night tonight.  I shan't count on it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank Cheech Marin for my knowing chicharrones.

Or Cheech-a-rones. Which reminds me I saw Cheech and Chong perform at a local college back when things were Smokin' and everyone had Nice Dreams.

How about that FJ category of American Poets and the answer turned out to be a woman! The show writers are really going off the rails lately.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank Cheech Marin for my knowing chicharrones.  I also got hit the nail on the head, and promotion, which was a little surprising.

Cheech Marin could have been an answer in that category.  I preguessed Chachi.  I was pretty disappointed it wasn't an answer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Me when the FJ category was revealed: "Crap! I hate poetry."

Me when the FJ clue was revealed: "OMG! I actually know this."

I used to work with a teacher who made the kids memorize the poem.

I also got slapstick.

Aside from that, I had a dreadful game. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Raquel Welch? I thought the post in Andy Dufresne's cell was of Rita Hayworth. 

Okay granted, the show was preempted here, but Andy had a Rita Hayworth poster in his Shawshank cell. Stephen King's novella is entitled "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption."

Did someone get credit for Shawshank/Raquel Welch? Her famous poster was "One Million Years B.C."

His original poster was of Rita Hayworth.  By the time he escaped decades later, it had been replaced by a Raquel Welch poster, so that's the one in his cell during the big finish when they figure out how he escaped.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

When "hit the nail on the head" was a TS, my cat sat up and asked, "Really?"

Promotion was a bit surprising, and chicharrones a little.

But the contestants had a better game than I did; I missed a couple each in the authors, carmakers, colonial America, and films categories.  I got FJ, but, wow, poor performance tonight!

• Love 3

Instead of 'hit the nail on the head' I just said 'nailed it.' I guess that wouldn't have counted.

I got chicharonne (misspelled), slapstick, and schoolteacher.

Took me a split second, or less, to get Emma Lazarus. I found it a bit interesting that the other guesses were Eliz B and Emily D.

• Love 1

I wrote one TS before this episode was blown off the air ... Maybach. Thank you Lorde and your “Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece” line. Not surprised it was a TS. Some years ago I mentioned Maybach when referring to rich-people autos to a rather wealthy lawyer friend, and he was all ... huh, what? Not that I know about cars costing $8 million, but I do listen to song lyrics.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Almost instaget FJ for me tonight.  I had to think about what might be unveiled, and then I spend the rest of the time trying to remember if her name really was Emma Lazarus or if I had something wrong somewhere.  Lazarus just didn't sound right, but I stuck with it for lack of anything else.

My experience was opposite - I knew exactly what had been unveiled, but could not for the life of me remember her name. I pounded it into my head - I mean it's pretty memorable name (she says after forgetting it over and over again).

I said chitlins, which isn't the Mexican version, but I think they're the same thing.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Or Cheech-a-rones. Which reminds me I saw Cheech and Chong perform at a local college back when things were Smokin' and everyone had Nice Dreams.

How about that FJ category of American Poets and the answer turned out to be a woman! The show writers are really going off the rails lately.

Now that will make me rememeber what they are called!

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Raquel Welch? I thought the post in Andy Dufresne's cell was of Rita Hayworth.  While I haven't visited that prison, they DO have a gift shop that sells stuff made by the prisoners - with a wide range of talent. LOL. THAT I went to.

I paused at that one too. In the story I think it was all Rita Hayworth (given the title). I didn't remember that they changed it in the film (thanks @Bastet). Very tricksy of them.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of 'hit the nail on the head' I just said 'nailed it.' I guess that wouldn't have counted.

Me too, and I think they might have accepted it. It's a more modern idiom than they were going for, but it still fits.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I said chitlins, which isn't the Mexican version, but I think they're the same thing.

but it wouldn't have counted as an answer because it doesn't have two -ch-'s

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

but it wouldn't have counted as an answer because it doesn't have two -ch-'s

As I often do, I forgot the category.

21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Chitlins are not the same thing as chicharrones.  Chitlins are pig intestines, and chicharrones are made from pork skin, fat, and meat.

My Google search was inconclusive, thanks. 

• Love 2

I think the "hit the nail on the head" clue was oddly and awkwardly phrased, so to come up with it in the short time they have was tough.  There is a few each game like that, where to decipher what they want causes some delay and missed answers. 

• Love 4

Vikram's voice...I'm usually not looking at the screen so physical tics like swaying or waving the buzzer don't bother me but voices, those get to me. And his was very, very annoying. His delivery reminded me of someone but I can't think who. Jonathan from Buffy? Probably not it.

Wait...what? An American poet who is a woman and the category was not Women Poets? I...I...just...what?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, today was my day for Jeopardy to be interrupted after player interviews to air a bunch of hot-air bloviating and BS. None of the other networks carried it, and Jeopardy airs right before local then national news. I could hear channels being switched all over the broadcast region. Mine being the loudest.

I got lucky, and he was done bloviating by the time my local station airs Jeopardy.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

The only TS I got were Slapstick and schoolteacher.  

I got both of those, as well as promotion and "hit the nail on the head".  I said chitlins for chicharrones, forgetting that I needed two 'ch's.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wrote one TS before this episode was blown off the air ... Maybach. Thank you Lorde and your “Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece” line. Not surprised it was a TS. Some years ago I mentioned Maybach when referring to rich-people autos to a rather wealthy lawyer friend, and he was all ... huh, what? Not that I know about cars costing $8 million, but I do listen to song lyrics.

I forgot about the Maybach.  And I must shamefacedly confess to not getting Maverick, despite my parents having owned two of them when I was a kid.  My idiot brother killed the two-door red one (nicknamed the Cinnamon Tic-Tac), otherwise I might eventually have bought it from him when I got my license; I loved that little car.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Chitlins are not the same thing as chicharrones.  Chitlins are pig intestines, and chicharrones are made from pork skin, fat, and meat.

I wondered about that - thanks for the info.

2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I forgot about the Maybach

I didn't know this but I remembered the category enough that I was chanting 'don't say Benz, don't say Benz' sadly Kimberly didn't hear me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Eventually TracFone will stop supporting the cellphone I have (probably when they upgrade to 4G everywhere) and I'll probably have to get a smart phone then.

Hey, fellow TracFone user 🙂 I do have a smartphone I bought at Target, I think, for about $40. Works very well, especially for the money, other than the time I went to Canada for business. TracFones don't work there for love or money. If I had to go there more often, I'd have to get Verizon or something. 

As for the game, I ran Kar-ma and FJ was an instaget, plus lots of other TS's. And am wondering if the Mexican market is as busy as the other stores are, to get some chicharonnes. 

47 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Hey, fellow TracFone user 🙂 I do have a smartphone I bought at Target, I think, for about $40. Works very well, especially for the money, other than the time I went to Canada for business. TracFones don't work there for love or money.

Thanks for the info.  I might check it out when I get a chance.  I knew about the Canada thing - wonder why that is?

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wrote one TS before this episode was blown off the air ... Maybach. Thank you Lorde and your “Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece” line. 

First off, I didn't realize those were the lyrics. I'm bad at paying attention to lyrics.

Second, it's only been fairly recently (within the past year) that I heard of the Maybach. However, I couldn't remember it for the show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Hey, fellow TracFone user 🙂 I do have a smartphone I bought at Target, I think, for about $40. Works very well, especially for the money,

It's a TracFone reunion! I've been getting notices that my phone won't work soon, but I've been ignoring them. It was a gigantic day-long hassle with a TracFone CSR when I got a newer phone a while back, switching everything over, and I am not quite up to going through that again.

22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Last time they upgraded, they gave me a new phone, but I'm sure it's too much to hope next time.

It is too much. They keep telling me to fork out the cash and buy a new one.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I got lucky, and he was done bloviating by the time my local station airs Jeopardy.

I got both of those, as well as promotion and "hit the nail on the head".  I said chitlins for chicharrones, forgetting that I needed two 'ch's.

I forgot about the Maybach.  And I must shamefacedly confess to not getting Maverick, despite my parents having owned two of them when I was a kid.  My idiot brother killed the two-door red one (nicknamed the Cinnamon Tic-Tac), otherwise I might eventually have bought it from him when I got my license; I loved that little car.

I wondered about that - thanks for the info.

As in A bloviating covidiot? Abc. Oops... probably off topic.., my bad.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I must shamefacedly confess to not getting Maverick, despite my parents having owned two of them when I was a kid.  My idiot brother killed the two-door red one (nicknamed the Cinnamon Tic-Tac), otherwise I might eventually have bought it from him when I got my license; I loved that little car.

I guessed Pinto because my sister used to own one. The funny thing is that my other sister owned a Maverick, but that name never came to me.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

I guessed Pinto because my sister used to own one. The funny thing is that my other sister owned a Maverick, but that name never came to me.

I didn't think of Maverick being an equine name, even though it is.  I associated it with a James Garner tv show.

Oops, make that bovine, according to the online dictionary.  Well, ranch-related anyway.  But you wouldn't really be saddling up an unbranded/motherless calf, so maybe the clue was hinting at Maverick, the western tv show.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I knew I didn't stand a chance for FJ today, and I was right!  I'm sure I probably heard of the Lend-Lease Act at some point in my life, but I'd be hard-pressed to say when.  I said the British Bailout.  

But I did manage to get heart-stopping, cap, shoes, Sonoran, answering machine, and Fellini.  

• Love 3

Alex often says he has no idea what a category is about.  But on a "behind the scenes" video, he said he comes in early to review all the clues before the game.  Choose a lane, Alex!

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Driad said:

Alex often says he has no idea what a category is about.  But on a "behind the scenes" video, he said he comes in early to review all the clues before the game.  Choose a lane, Alex!

I think his act on the show is part of the same fiction that each episode is taped on a different day--just done for the folks at home and not real.  He has also said he practices pronouncing any words he thinks might be troublesome, which only makes sense and is appropriately professional.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Ailianna said:
26 minutes ago, Driad said:

I think his act on the show is part of the same fiction that each episode is taped on a different day--just done for the folks at home and not real.  He has also said he practices pronouncing any words he thinks might be troublesome, which only makes sense and is appropriately professional.

I also think remarks like that probably reflect what he thought(s) when he first saw the category.

FJ was an instaget for me after thinking I would not know it due to the category.

• Love 2

Just like that <snaps fingers> my two day streak of correct FJ answers is over. It was nice while it lasted. I didn't even have a guess. :-(

I did get heart-stopping, cap, and Fellini, so I'm not a complete idiot. :-)

• Love 2

It's okay, Alex, I was chuckling right along with you at the clue about the park ranger getting struck by lightning.  But, psst, plenty of girls would have liked a basement full of arcade games, too.

No one knew distributor cap or brake shoes?  I guess I should stop being surprised by how little people know about cars, but damn.  Good game, but I was rooting for Rachel.  Adam's hot dog stand goal is oddly endearing, though (and it was funny that he got to answer a hot dog clue).

The superheroes category keeping me from running the first round; that's not my genre by a mile, so Wonder Woman was the only one I knew.  I only missed two in DJ and got FJ right (I would hope so, after how excited I was by the category - I'm very good with legislative history and love alliteration), so at least I'm back to a typical performance after last night's epic failure.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm sure I probably heard of the Lend-Lease Act at some point in my life, but I'd be hard-pressed to say when.  I said the British Bailout.  

Ditto. I've heard of the Lend-Lease Act but couldn't say what it was or when it was. For tonight, I thought that British or English was in the answer, but I couldn't get further than that.

54 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No one knew distributor cap or brake shoes?

I got cap. I slapped myself when Alex said shoes. DOH!

For TSs: heart stopping, cap, Sonora(n), answering machine, and Toscanini. I did say Sonora instead of Sonoran. Not sure if I would have been ruled correct, but I'm saying I was. So there.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

Anyone else think "Lend and lease" shouldn't have been accepted?

That didn't bother me but I thought St Francis needed  "of Assissi".

Instaget FJ which was a real surprise since the category wouldn't usually be something I would know.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I knew I didn't stand a chance for FJ today, and I was right!  I'm sure I probably heard of the Lend-Lease Act at some point in my life, but I'd be hard-pressed to say when.  I said the British Bailout. 

At least that's better than the British Blockade. 🙂

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's okay, Alex, I was chuckling right along with you at the clue about the park ranger getting struck by lightning.  But, psst, plenty of girls would have liked a basement full of arcade games, too.

No one knew distributor cap or brake shoes?  I guess I should stop being surprised by how little people know about cars, but damn.

I know, it's strangely funny that someone was hit by lightning so often - almost cartoon funny. Not funny for the poor ranger, I'm sure.

I knew most of the car clues, but my husband beat me to them - I beat him with distributor cap though.

I almost swept Herbs & Spices, but was let down because I've never eaten Hot Tamale candies. It's the second category in two days I almost swept (got tripped up by Heller in "I Wrote That") 😞 

Got Lend Lease without too much thinking. WWII history used to be my jam.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2