Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 8/21/2020 at 8:21 AM, icemiser69 said:

This Flippity Fish commercial is freaking me out.  I feel so bad for the fish.  

It's hard for me to feel bad for the fish, which, after all, isn't real.  I do, however, feel bad for the cat, which is being teased by the "toy" and then tortured by children holding it out of reach of the cat.

• Love 2

Why are we being inundated with Walgreens ads all of a sudden?  Literally every commercial break there's at least one Walgreen's ad.   They are have some kiddie-voiced woman asking "Why Walgreens?"   Which is what I'm asking, why Walgreens?   Why do they even need to advertise?  Haven't they bought out every other major chain and local pharmacy?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Why are we being inundated with Walgreens ads all of a sudden?  Literally every commercial break there's at least one Walgreen's ad.   They are have some kiddie-voiced woman asking "Why Walgreens?"   Which is what I'm asking, why Walgreens?   Why do they even need to advertise?  Haven't they bought out every other major chain and local pharmacy?

CVS and Rite Aid are in my area. I'd say there are more CVS than Walgreens.

• Love 2
(edited)

I haven’t seen any one mention the horrific warbling that is the One A Day commercial. It’s short but long enough to send me up a wall.

Followed by the woman “singing” about Prego sauce. (Maybe it’s Ragu, I don’t know or care).  Just make her shut up.

And I’m neither annoyed or outraged by seeing John Walsh for Jitterbug.  I just don’t know where else to say it makes me sad to see how he’s aged. He went through a very tragic situation with his son.  He turned it in to something that helped bring justice to other people.  I know untold numbers of people have been through a lot, but for some reason his has always stuck with me.

Edited by Woopwoopkitty
The n makes all the difference
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, buckboard said:

It's hard for me to feel bad for the fish, which, after all, isn't real.  I do, however, feel bad for the cat, which is being teased by the "toy" and then tortured by children holding it out of reach of the cat.

The cat isn't being tortured, it is using it's natural hunting instincts and playing, having a load of fun, exercise and mental stimulation.

• Love 5

The commercials for Daily Harvest are wierd to me.

I Googled them because the food looks like what you'd buy at REI to stock up for a camping trip. It turns out everything is frozen, plant based and vegan (unless you choose to add meat or other non vegan ingredients).

I have a daughter that's a vegan. It's a lifestyle that requires a strict commitment  ( like being a vegetarian or keeping  kosher). My daughter shops at a vegan butcher and a vegan bakery, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.  Mainstream grocery stores are now beginning to carry more Beyond Meat products other than tofu. 

It takes a lot of commitment to stick to a special diet no matter what it is, so to just pop open your freezer and cook up frozen vegetables seems very counterproductve to me.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

The cat isn't being tortured, it is using it's natural hunting instincts and playing, having a load of fun, exercise and mental stimulation.

Yeah.  those cats are having a blast.  I almost want to get one.  But $20 is an awful lot to spend on a cat toy as those of us with cats know there's no telling what will delight and what will freak out any individual cat.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Maverick said:

I was being somewhat facetious, but it really is mainly just Walgreens and CVS now.  Walgreens bought out Rite Aid a few years ago.  

In my area, substitute Kinney Drugs for CVS.

12 hours ago, buckboard said:

The cat is just lying there, halfheartedly whacking at it. Doesn't look the least bit distressed.

• Love 1

Followed by the woman “singing” about Prego sauce. (Maybe it’s Ragu, I don’t know or care).  Just make her shut up.

That's Cecily Strong and she annoys the crap out of me too. She used to do ads for Triscuit and she pointed out that like Triscuit, she is non-GMO modified. I guess that was supposed to be funny, but it was really just stupid.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 3/7/2021 at 2:52 PM, Leeds said:

Some spokesperson from Amazon:  "I've helped deliver 12 million meals to families in need."

Are you Wonder Woman?

The head of Amazon's plane fleet,  and other transportation fleets is a woman.   She was on another one of their commercials.  I don't think the same woman in both commercials, but then I'm not watching that closely either.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sorry, but I don't believe that Miss Aniston and the Aveeno jacketed so-called expert are the most unbiased, professional skin care authorities out there- and I wonder if any viewers who consider them to be might also be willing to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

P.S. Did anyone watching truly expect either Miss Aniston or the Aveeno jacketed expert to say that Aveeno was useless or harmful?

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Sorry, but I don't believe that Miss Aniston and the Aveeno jacketed so-called expert are the most unbiased, professional skin care authorities out there- and I wonder if any viewers who consider them to be might also be willing to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

P.S. Did anyone watching truly expect either Miss Aniston or the Aveeno jacketed expert to say that Aveeno was useless or harmful?

and there are some commercials that say their product is useless or harmful?  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I could tolerate the singing hood ornament if she sung in tune.

That thing is creepy.  It looks like an alien in a horror movie.  Who thought that would be a good idea?

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

The latest one bugging me is the smart-watch user bragging that he can take an electrocardiogram 'without moving a muscle'. Um, whether you have to press a button/touchscreen or even if it's voice-activated, some muscle involvement is necessary. (Yes, I'm just picking nits because the smug tone of the commercial is annoying anyway, but.)

• Love 5

Ha, you don't have to move a muscle to check the functioning of your heart muscle.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:26 AM, chenoa333 said:

Moving on to something I'm sure has been mentioned before but it's the Jennifer Aniston commercial for, well, I'm not sure what she's pimping (Aveeno lotion?). She's on the Peleton (?) cycling, then she's sweating on a treadmill, then she's doing hard core yoga. Then she's winking at us but it's not really a wink. It's more like she has Malibu Beach sand in her eye. Anyway, I could really do without seeing her again. Ever. If I had gym/exercise equipment in my home, I could lose weight too. Unfortunately the closest 24 hour fitness to me closed for good last year. And I'm not a big fan of going out in public to exercise. So thanks Miss Perfect for making me feel sadder and more depressed about myself. Whatever it is you're selling, I'm not buying it.

So she is the spokesperson for Aveeno and some vitamin or supplement or whatever. She's been doing Aveeno for a while, and the other thing is relatively new. The problem I have is that the overall vibe and look of the second thing is very similar to the overall vibe of the Aveeno ads. So I saw ads for the second thing several times before I realized they weren't Aveeno ads. It's a misstep to me.

If she advertises anything else, either I haven't seen the ads, or they're also too similar for me to differentiate if I'm not paying full attention.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, janie jones said:

Ha, you don't have to move a muscle to check the functioning of your heart muscle.

So she is the spokesperson for Aveeno and some vitamin or supplement or whatever. She's been doing Aveeno for a while, and the other thing is relatively new. The problem I have is that the overall vibe and look of the second thing is very similar to the overall vibe of the Aveeno ads. So I saw ads for the second thing several times before I realized they weren't Aveeno ads. It's a misstep to me.

If she advertises anything else, either I haven't seen the ads, or they're also too similar for me to differentiate if I'm not paying full attention.

It doesn't make any difference what she's shilling.  She couldn't sell me anything and I have no need to see her smug face.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Suzn said:

It doesn't make any difference what she's shilling.  She couldn't sell me anything and I have no need to see her smug face.

I was watching a show yesterday that had Jennifer Anniston telling me her face cream was best followed immediately by Jennifer Garner telling me her face cream was best.  I was so confused!  Who do I believe???

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I was watching a show yesterday that had Jennifer Anniston telling me her face cream was best followed immediately by Jennifer Garner telling me her face cream was best.  I was so confused!  Who do I believe???

I don't know about 'the best' but if one wants to find out which of them is pitching the better of the two face creams, consider which of them   looks the better without any makeup and   more fresh-faced &youthful than their own mother did at their current age. 

For myself, I don't think someone who appears with an Aveeno jacketed 'expert' to claim that Aveeno is the best is the most unbiased and objective authority on the subject. 

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Anyone called Jennifer I think.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I don’t remember the name of the product because lately I change the channel whenever the commercial comes on, but I really hate the commercial with the woman doing yoga and singing because her you-know-what is feeling better. It’s annoying and gross.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Angela Bassett or Michelle Yeoh. If one of THOSE ladies tells me a face cream works, I'm buying it as a gift for my mom!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

Anyone called Jennifer I think.

Battle of the Jennifers!  Which Jen has the more annoying lips?  Aniston definitely needs better lipstick.  Garner's mouth is weird IMHO.  Both annoy and irritate.

30 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

So Joy Mangano now has commercials for masks.   She needs to come out with a line of ear plugs so I don't have to listen to her.

She needs to stuff one down her throat.  I couldn't even listen to the whole commercial!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Battle of the Jennifers!  Which Jen has the more annoying lips?  Aniston definitely needs better lipstick.  Garner's mouth is weird IMHO.  Both annoy and irritate.

Aniston's mouth is weird too.  I call her muff mouth.

• LOL 3
On 3/10/2021 at 12:15 PM, janie jones said:

So she is the spokesperson for Aveeno and some vitamin or supplement or whatever. She's been doing Aveeno for a while, and the other thing is relatively new

I can't buy this or any other millionaire celebrity pitching over-the-counter products (especially hair color).  I don't have a speck of the money they have and I go to a salon for a professional color every 3 months (because of the natural red highlights I have I need a special blue base mix to counteract them)  Just.....no way do I believe Ms. Aniston's movie star perfect complexion is compliments of Aveeno

• Love 5

Jennifer Garner and Jennifer Aniston both seem so very ordinary to me (which I don't mean as a criticism, but that they come off as just sort of there like anyone else, living a harmless life) I barely even notice their commercials, never mind find anything annoying about them.

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Jennifer Garner and Jennifer Aniston both seem so very ordinary to me (which I don't mean as a criticism, but that they come off as just sort of there like anyone else, living a harmless life) I barely even notice their commercials, never mind find anything annoying about them.

I think Jennifer Garner is cute.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ctlady said:

I can't buy this or any other millionaire celebrity pitching over-the-counter products (especially hair color).  

I'm particularly annoyed by the commercials in which the latina ex-model from Desperate Housewives whose name escapes me pretends to dye or touch up her roots with grocery store hair products.  Yeah, right... 

The Leaf Filter commercial bothers me.  A couple goes to a demonstration of some  gutter filter, and the wife has enough interest to go with the husband.  The moderator asks "Who still climbs up on ladders to clean gutters?"  Husband raises his hand.  "Dennis, I told you, that's dangerous!" says the wife.  She must already know that he climbs ladders...that's why they're at the demo.

• Love 3

These new AirBnB commercials with Dolly singing I will Always Love you with the dogs, and the Forever Young one do not seem like fun vacation vignettes but instead like the dogs and your friend/family died.  

• Love 19
9 minutes ago, knuckles491 said:

The Leaf Filter commercial bothers me.  A couple goes to a demonstration of some  gutter filter, and the wife has enough interest to go with the husband.  The moderator asks "Who still climbs up on ladders to clean gutters?"  Husband raises his hand.  "Dennis, I told you, that's dangerous!" says the wife.  She must already know that he climbs ladders...that's why they're at the demo.

I've always thought she said "Dad"; she does seem quite a bit younger than him. But I hate those commercials in general. The sales guy has really weird forehead wrinkles.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, knuckles491 said:

Also, how else are you suppose to clean the gutters? 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Yeah, the fact that the daughter is surprised that the dad goes up on ladders is what gets me about that commercial. Why did she think they were at the presentation?

Who is going to gutter seminars anyway?

• LOL 16
10 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I'm particularly annoyed by the commercials in which the latina ex-model from Desperate Housewives whose name escapes me pretends to dye or touch up her roots with grocery store hair products.  Yeah, right... 

I could actually see it happening.  She just has to go to this one party/premiere/dinner and she has an 1/8 inch of roots because her hair dresser is coming tomorrow but she HAS to go tonight and no one can see her looking like a normal woman.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, madmax said:

I could actually see it happening.  She just has to go to this one party/premiere/dinner and she has an 1/8 inch of roots because her hair dresser is coming tomorrow but she HAS to go tonight and no one can see her looking like a normal woman.

I can only believe that Eva Longoria (sp?) has a hairstylist on speed dial that would be there in a shake to fix any root problems she may have for that evening.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

...People so eager to get out of the house now that they've been vaccinated, they'll go to anything, anywhere.

It's the "free" lunch and possible raffle ticket door prize that draws them in.

• Love 3