Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 3/22/2021 at 4:42 PM, mojoween said:

Milana is the actress who plays Lily in the AT&T ads.  The responses were predictable.

Well Milana, it is neither a privilege or a delight to see you or any part of you. You are annoying. Please fuck off.

And Ice T needs to F off as well. I'm so sick of seeing his ugly mug advertising everything, narrating true crime shows, shilling whatever he can. 

• Love 7

I know it has been posted here before but I just had to watch it so here I am.  I cannot imagine what Tracie Ellis Ross was thinking when she agreed to do those Lays ads.  How bad is the blackmail tape that this seemed like a good idea?

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Well Milana, it is neither a privilege or a delight to see you or any part of you. You are annoying. Please fuck off.

And Ice T needs to F off as well. I'm so sick of seeing his ugly mug advertising everything, narrating true crime shows, shilling whatever he can. 

I'm on some other websites where there are a lot of younger guys. Believe me, she has been objectified and fantasized about online to the point of it becoming scary. I don't blame her for feeling the way she does.

• Love 16
49 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm on some other websites where there are a lot of younger guys. Believe me, she has been objectified and fantasized about online to the point of it becoming scary. I don't blame her for feeling the way she does.

I'm really confused; how did all this start? I don't recall her ever "showing her body" in any way at all-- what is she "doing differently" now, and where was this objectification coming from?

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have heard that same thing!  They are almost an embarrassment to Sexist Pigs everywhere.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I'm really confused; how did all this start? I don't recall her ever "showing her body" in any way at all-- what is she "doing differently" now, and where was this objectification coming from?

She never really showed her body off, but she naturally has a large cup size with her tiny waist.  I actually did finally notice this on one of the commercials shown a few weeks ago.  I noticed that she was wearing a bra-that-fits underneath a button-down shirt that also fits.  As a naturally busty gal myself, I appreciated it because finding a button-down that fits correctly without gaping or being too big is an achievement.  

The more recent commercials are blocked differently to hide her waist--standing behind a higher counter, sitting by a table, etc.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Because a lot of men are pigs.

• Love 10

In my mind's eye she's wearing a blue work shirt/blouse that's kind of formless and reveals next to nothing about her figure. I realize I might be misremembering and I'm hardly a good barometer of what straight men are looking for, but it seems to me that she's such an odd target for sleazy men to fixate on and objectify when there are strippers giving lap dances to Carl Jr's burgers out there in TV commercial land.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

In my mind's eye she's wearing a blue work shirt/blouse that's kind of formless and reveals next to nothing about her figure. I realize I might be misremembering and I'm hardly a good barometer of what straight men are looking for, but it seems to me that she's such an odd target for sleazy men to fixate on and objectify when there are strippers giving lap dances to Carl Jr's burgers out there in TV commercial land.

But AT&T has a wider reach than Carl Jr.  In my neck of the woods we have Hardee's and Hardee's is more family oriented.  Or used to be, but they have been running some odd ads lately with hippie cult members.  

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

This is all it took.image.thumb.png.d895082a8ea5ed9bcd685f012c2f35b5.png

• Love 3
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's my takeaway as well. The kid doesn't sound terribly upset and sure doesn't sound like a little kid. The ages of kids in commercials is so oddly off sometimes. That kid is too old to be needing mommy to kiss his boo boo and the kid in the Migraine Mom ads is too old to want to play dress up with her mom . Then you have the "you need a loan? Daddy, it's for you" kid who is barely a toddler with no concept whatsoever about home loans.

Totally.

I would bet that every single one of us have been in a situation in which we heard a pet, a kid, a neighbor, person outside, etc., scream, yell or something and we immediately get this "oh shit!" feeling because we just know that something is wrong. I am beyond sure that every single parent has heard noise from their kids and can read it very easily: "What's going on in there?" and getting up to check it out vs "OMG what the hell was that!" and bolt. It's instinct. You can tell by the person that is in distress if it's an emergency or not. This mom, like every other, would have known immediately if her kid was in danger. The kid cut himself/herself. It happens. You wash it, put on a Band Aid and get on with it. It shouldn't require parental theatrics: "My baby! OMG! Are you okay? Let me wash that and put a Band Aid on. Are you sure you're okay? Oh, you poor thing..." Lord. This is why there are so many neurotic kids that are incapable of handling things without not only adult help but heaps of praise that they "made it through" getting a shot at the doctor, or getting a cut tended to. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

I am watching this Colace commercial, and in it it says that constipation affects an estimated 63 million in North America.  How could they possibly know that?  Do you think they pulled that out of their butts?  If they did, I guess there would be a few less constipated people.

That number tracks.  Constipation is a major side effect from taking prescription opioids, iron supplements, and other prescription medications.  Add to that the number of Americans who eat horrendously, and 63 million sounds about right.   

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

In my mind's eye she's wearing a blue work shirt/blouse that's kind of formless and reveals next to nothing about her figure.

Right, but, first of all, the fact she has breasts under that uniform is enough for some to think her body is theirs to ogle, and she doesn't walk around dressed in that uniform in real life, so way too many guys salivating over pictures of her as Milanya felt free to make numerous, detailed, objectifying, disgusting comments about her and to her. 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I guess I'm fortunate that, had I yelled for my mom, she would have gotten up and at least checked on me in the bathroom to see how badly I was bleeding, no matter how old I was.

Eh, my mom would've said "Get a band aid" no matter what she was doing.  That kid sounds old enough to know to get a band aid, or to yell "call 9-1-1" if it was bad bleeding.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Eh, my mom would've said "Get a band aid" no matter what she was doing.  That kid sounds old enough to know to get a band aid, or to yell "call 9-1-1" if it was bad bleeding.

Well, we've got moms who see things differently.  I just said what mine would have done.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Well, we've got moms who see things differently.  I just said what mine would have done.

That's sweet. Your mom loved you. Not to say the mom in the commercial is a bad mom. It doesn't matter how old they get, your kids are still your babies.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

It's mercifully long gone now, but there used to be a clickbait ad that displayed at the bottom of some entertainment sites' pages showing a photo of her in a low-cut top inviting the user to see lots more. I can only imagine where that lead to but it couldn't have been good so yeah, if I were her I'd probably be disgusted and angry too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am not a violent person, but the Discovery+ ads are turning my thoughts to a very dark place.  My heart rate and blood pressure spike when I hear Oprah trilling, “Super SOOOOOUL has a new home!!!!”, or when I see Chip and Joanna Gaines. As much as I like some of the shows and celebrities on Discovery+ I will NEVER sign up for it.

I can only imagine the already overplayed incessant Oprah and Gaines commercials I’m seeing on my cable tv  would triple on that streaming service.  Also, I don’t need to see any more of Guy Fieri, his 3’ tall sandwiches or his gapping maw full of half masticated chunks of burgers smothered in “Off the Hook” onions, “Killer”Mac n cheese, “Real Deal” french fries and “Flavortown” sauce.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

My heart rate and blood pressure spike when I hear Oprah trilling, “Super SOOOOOUL has a new home!!!!”, or when I see Chip and Joanna Gaines

You'd think Chip could've at least washed his greasy hair or worn cleaner looking clothes for his Oprah interview. He looks like he just climbed out of a dumpster.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
On 3/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, Crashcourse said:

I guess I'm fortunate that, had I yelled for my mom, she would have gotten up and at least checked on me in the bathroom to see how badly I was bleeding, no matter how old I was.

Or at least called out asking if she was ok.  Besides, the kid said she fell, not that she cut herself.  Who uses a bandaid for a fall?

• LOL 1
52 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Or at least called out asking if she was ok.  Besides, the kid said she fell, not that she cut herself.  Who uses a bandaid for a fall?

If I'm bleeding I used a band-aid, no matter how it happened.  

• Love 4
15 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

As much as I like some of the shows and celebrities on Discovery+ I will NEVER sign up for it.

Just about everything we wanted to watch on Discovery + has made its way to the regular channels.  So why pay for it?  Except to get it first?  Not worth it.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

You'd think Chip could've at least washed his greasy hair or worn cleaner looking clothes for his Oprah interview. He looks like he just climbed out of a dumpster.

He looks like that all the time...Also I don't care about either one of them. I would never go visit their Magnolia store or bakery even though I live in Texas as well.

• Love 4
On 3/22/2021 at 11:48 AM, Leeds said:

I don't know why, but this commercial makes me want to stick my fingers down my throat.

We crack up at this commercial. The grandson's were here and we had ice cream..."sprinkles!" had them rolling. It's fun.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

isn't that his usual look?  sorry, i strongly dislike this guy

• Love 6
On 3/22/2021 at 12:32 PM, peacheslatour said:

I can't stand the Kit Kat commercial with the guy shrieking for no apparent reason.

I finally took the time to watch this one to see WHY dude was screaming like an idiot, and he's parachuting onto the Kit Kat bar, then the piece he lands on breaks off and I guess he falls (hopefully into a bottomless pit). Kit Kat has the most annoying commercials. Just about everyone of them is like an assault on my ears. I posted back during Halloween about the one with the vampire and the shrill alarm clock blaring. This one is even worse.

• Love 6
On 3/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

That's my takeaway as well. The kid doesn't sound terribly upset and sure doesn't sound like a little kid. The ages of kids in commercials is so oddly off sometimes. That kid is too old to be needing mommy to kiss his boo boo and the kid in the Migraine Mom ads is too old to want to play dress up with her mom . Then you have the "you need a loan? Daddy, it's for you" kid who is barely a toddler with no concept whatsoever about home loans.

I found that Sheba commercial online just to see what the deal is with it.  I agree with you.  I might think it was in poor taste if the child sounded younger or in more distress, but it sounded like an older child and whatever happened wasn't that bad or they'd have more of an urgent tone in their voice.  But no matter, I think the main thing is that it's intended to be a parody and not taken seriously.  I think a lot of people these days don't appreciate that kind of absurd humor.  I also think it might be a generational thing.  The older one is the more likely they will "get" it and the younger one is the more likely they'll be offended by it.  Just a theory.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Giuseppe said:
On 3/22/2021 at 12:32 PM, peacheslatour said:

I can't stand the Kit Kat commercial with the guy shrieking for no apparent reason.

I finally took the time to watch this one to see WHY dude was screaming like an idiot, and he's parachuting onto the Kit Kat bar, then the piece he lands on breaks off and I guess he falls (hopefully into a bottomless pit). Kit Kat has the most annoying commercials. Just about everyone of them is like an assault on my ears. I posted back during Halloween about the one with the vampire and the shrill alarm clock blaring. This one is even worse.

I laugh in spite of myself every time I see that guy parachuting on the Kit Kat bar.  I don't even know why, I just can't help it.  It should be one of those commercials that annoys me no end but I think the absurdity factor is pretty high and like I said in my post above, it's a kind of humor you just have to "get" and may not be so popular these days.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I laugh in spite of myself every time I see that guy parachuting on the Kit Kat bar.  I don't even know why, I just can't help it.  It should be one of those commercials that annoys me no end but I think the absurdity factor is pretty high and like I said in my post above, it's a kind of humor you just have to "get" and may not be so popular these days.

I definitely get the humor of the ad (and the Sheba one, which i don't mind at all), but the prolonged dude-bro yelling from beginning to end is what makes me dive for the mute button. He's yelling as he parachutes down, he yells when he lands, and he yells when he falls, and it makes my ears bleed.  I'd probably find it funny if he just shut up a little.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 5

The guy yelling in the Kit Kat commercials doesn't really bother me, at least not compared to this wonderful "song" for Kit Kat Thins (why does the candy have to be thinner, and why did they make this jingle so annoying?).

Edited by KWalkerInc
  • Love 3
On 3/24/2021 at 12:16 PM, peacheslatour said:
On 3/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, dleighg said:

Because a lot of men are pigs.

Oh Peaches - I'm not. At least I don't think so....

Not sure how to feel about this one. As a straight male I've admired the actress for awhile, and not in a sleazy way, hopefully. But the whole "you've lost the privilege of looking at it (her body)" thing sounded a bit...much.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Kit Kat has the most annoying commercials. Just about everyone of them is like an assault on my ears. I posted back during Halloween about the one with the vampire and the shrill alarm clock blaring. This one is even worse.

The "brake brake brake brake" one with the student driver is funny, but it's always on like 50 times a day on YouTube.

I loathe the alien one with the heat of a thousand suns.

• Love 2

Geico commercial with the basketball player (I don't follow basketball, I don't care who he is) blocking shots is really annoying. But when he knocks the box of cereal out of the kid's hand and makes a mess all over the grocery store aisle ticks me off the most.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I found that Sheba commercial online just to see what the deal is with it.  I agree with you.  I might think it was in poor taste if the child sounded younger or in more distress, but it sounded like an older child and whatever happened wasn't that bad or they'd have more of an urgent tone in their voice.  But no matter, I think the main thing is that it's intended to be a parody and not taken seriously.  I think a lot of people these days don't appreciate that kind of absurd humor.  I also think it might be a generational thing.  The older one is the more likely they will "get" it and the younger one is the more likely they'll be offended by it.  Just a theory.

Not sure you can tell by his sound how injured he was.  

And, I'm old and I don't "get it".  Not offended, but the mom acts like her kid is just a pain and her cat is just so wonderful.  Get up, take a peak in the room, if the kid is ok, go sit back down. Would that be asking too much?!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Not sure how to feel about this one. As a straight male I've admired the actress for awhile, and not in a sleazy way, hopefully. But the whole "you've lost the privilege of looking at it (her body)" thing sounded a bit...much.

When i posted my comment somewhere upthread about the woman/actress who is in that commercial, I thought the OP was referring to that annoying woman who does Progressive Insurance commercials...the one with the voice that makes my ears bleed. So thank you to whomever posted the pic of the correct/actual actress. 

My newest hated commercial is Third Love with "Dr. BarBRA Boulders".  Who the hell told this company this would be a fantastic ad campaign for bras? And obviously someone at Third Love said "yes! This ad is so cool!" So f'n dumb, childish, annoying and weird.

• Love 5
On ‎03‎/‎24‎/‎2021 at 5:50 PM, peacheslatour said:

That's sweet. Your mom loved you. Not to say the mom in the commercial is a bad mom. It doesn't matter how old they get, your kids are still your babies.

My mom loves me and is there when I need her, but she also recognizes when something is really an emergency.  The kid in the commercial sounds more than old enough to say that the cut is too bad for band-aids, imo.

3 hours ago, cinsays said:

but the mom acts like her kid is just a pain and her cat is just so wonderful

And that's exactly what cats want us to think.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Totally. That's why most of the comments under a YouTube version of this commercial say that it celebrates letting your kid die and other such nonsense. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/25/2021 at 10:43 AM, madmax said:

Just about everything we wanted to watch on Discovery + has made its way to the regular channels.  So why pay for it?  Except to get it first?  Not worth it.

Lots of the shows we watch are only on discovery plus and not going to be shown on regular channels. Which sucks. 

• Love 3
On 3/21/2021 at 10:18 PM, justdoit10 said:

I haven't seen it in a while but I saw it this morning.  The skittles commercial where the girl picks a skittle right off the guy's face who has skittles pox, like a zit and eats it. Ugh, it is so gross and the premise is unsanitary.  I can't believe someone thought this was a good commercial.  It still doesn't beat the Snyders of Hanover commercials  when they have people crunching and chewing so loudly.  I literally want to punch them in the face.  I scream at the tv and call them names.  LOL.  And I will never buy their product ever again.  

Remember back in the day, when one kid got chickenpox, people would send their kids to play with that kid so that their kids would get it, too? That's what I'd do if someone in my neighborhood got Skittles pox. Free Skittles.

On 3/24/2021 at 3:12 PM, CoderLady said:

It's mercifully long gone now, but there used to be a clickbait ad that displayed at the bottom of some entertainment sites' pages showing a photo of her in a low-cut top inviting the user to see lots more. I can only imagine where that lead to but it couldn't have been good so yeah, if I were her I'd probably be disgusted and angry too.

It's not long gone. I'm pretty sure I've seen that in the last month or so.

On 3/25/2021 at 4:50 AM, Haleth said:

The thing that bugs me the most is the dialogue and its sequence. 1. The girl says "Mom, I'm bleeding." 2. The mom says where the bandages are. What makes the mom think she's bleeding in the first place? Bruises and broken bones are the first thing I think of when I think of falls. Also, kids who are way younger than that kid sounds know where the bandages are. Why is the mom telling her something she presumably already knows? 3. Then the kid says she's bleeding. Why the fuck does she say that? That's what the freaking bandages are for. Did she even listen to what her mom said and realize that her mom already knew, via clairvoyance, that she was bleeding? 4. The mom says "Take two." Which doesn't make sense. Is it one bandaid if you guess the kid is bleeding and two if you know they are?

It should be: "Mom, I fell and I'm bleeding." "The bandages are in the cupboard." "It's pretty bad." "Take two." That would be a logical order for the dialogue AND it would be clear that the mom is being kind of neglectful, if that's what they were going for.

• Love 3

I feel like if the kid were hurt badly, she would be screaming and crying (or at least crying), and not just, "Oh, la, I fell."  After a certain age (like eight), we didn't even bother to involve parents unless it was really bad -- like bones sticking through the skin bad -- and there would definitely have been sincere crying.  And yes, our parents cared about us.  Just their world didn't revolve around us.

So maybe it irritates me that the kid can't take care of what sounds like a minor injury all by herself.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

Remember back in the day, when one kid got chickenpox, people would send their kids to play with that kid so that their kids would get it, too? That's what I'd do if someone in my neighborhood got Skittles pox. Free Skittles.

Chicken pox parties, remember them well.  But at least everyone got them and then they were gone.  I don't believe I ever knew anyone who had a bad reaction to chicken pox, it was just a lot of scratching.  Though my niece does have one scar in between her eyes that still looks like a (tiny) bullet hole.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Chicken pox parties, remember them well.  But at least everyone got them and then they were gone.  I don't believe I ever knew anyone who had a bad reaction to chicken pox, it was just a lot of scratching.  Though my niece does have one scar in between her eyes that still looks like a (tiny) bullet hole.

Shingles comes to mind.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

And isn't shingles an adult version of chicken pox, so not a threat to kids?

my understanding is that having chicken pox as a kid leaves you vulnerable to shingles as an adult. So getting even a mild case of chicken pox as a child is not an "all good" situation.

But to make this about commercials that are annoying, there's another ad.

There's a vaccine for shingles! WHAAAAT? Honey, there's a vaccine for shingles! WHAAAAT?

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, dleighg said:

my understanding is that having chicken pox as a kid leaves you vulnerable to shingles as an adult. So getting even a mild case of chicken pox as a child is not an "all good" situation.

My dad had a case of shingles that was so debilitating he was unable to do anything, even wear shoes for a month.

Shingles and chicken pox are the same virus.   Your immune system fights back the chicken pox virus but doesn't eradicate it.  It stays in your body and it continues to keep it at bay   As you get older and your immune system weakens, it can't fight off the virus as well and when it resurges it's shingles.   I've heard it still better to have chicken pox as a child because if you catch it as an adult it's much more dangerous to have serious complications.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Shingles and chicken pox are the same virus.   Your immune system fights back the chicken pox virus but doesn't eradicate it.  It stays in your body and it continues to keep it at bay   As you get older and your immune system weakens, it can't fight off the virus as well and when it resurges it's shingles.   I've heard it still better to have chicken pox as a child because if you catch it as an adult it's much more dangerous to have serious complications.  

I had it as a child and got it again in my late thirties. You can have it more than once.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1