Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 2/20/2021 at 8:32 PM, TattleTeeny said:

It may be that weird medical lingo for patient-facing material (I read it all day, 5 days a week). Patient-facing stuff is legally regulated to be carefully worded to a fifth-grade reading level (or maybe junior high level—I forget!), so many of the word choices are...kind of dumb.

Can you explain what patient facing stuff is?

32 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I have to admit to loving most of the Doug and Limu commercials; but a couple have been duds.  Watching Doug's head turn into a cat, an ear of corn, an English gentleman, etc., has entertained me.  But I must admit that Limu can be a bit scary if one was right next to him...one could get pecked or bopped.  Doug should ask for hazard pay when they are "together" in a commercial.

I loathe all the Limu Emu ads, in part but not solely because no-one pronounces mutual "mootual".

• Love 2

Basically, it’s the literature (brochures, handouts, instructions, insurance info, financial assistance for crazy-expensive therapies) that patients would be given when prescribed a medication. For example, the “important safety information” for drugs is worded differently for patients than it is for doctors and their staff (if you ever look up a drug website, you’d see a tab at the top for patients and another for healthcare people); patient-facing materials have far less clinical info to plod through and are more succinct and understandable. Like, the commercials we see are for “regular” people, whereas doctors’ information about the same drugs are graphs and charts and percentages (all that shit that hurts my brain all day—honestly, if I have a day at work of reading read patient-facing stuff instead of the healthcare provider-facing stuff, that’s an easy day for me!).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

I just saw an ad for pubic hair razors.  I thought the one where the women were trimming bushes was crass, but this one takes the cake.  The camera zooms in towards a woman’s crotch (thankfully she’s wearing small panties) where she’s going at it at the bikini line. I’m surprised they didn’t stretch the elastic so she could go full on for a complete shave. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm quoting myself because I saw another Ice-T commercial today and they used a different soundtrack.  The music was much more subdued and not annoying.  The ad agency must have heard me screaming. 😱

I still haven't seen Ice-T commercial for CarShield on my teevee, only here at the posted link for YT.  Probably because I'm in California, and the end of the ad has white fine print on the screen that ends in Not Available in California.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

What's with all the commercials with screechy, annoying singers lately? I frequently don't pay attention to commercials, so I can't say what the product is for but there's one with a woman starts singing (I think maybe in the supermarket's frozen food section), and she goes to straight into screech-mode. I can't mute it fast enough. It's almost as bad as the guy singing about his Popeye's delivery. (There is another Popeye's commercial with a woman singing about her delivery that is much better; maybe it's that she's a better singer.)

The Botox commercial with the singer periodically shrieking.  Ugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just saw an ad for pubic hair razors.  I thought the one where the women were trimming bushes was crass, but this one takes the cake.  The camera zooms in towards a woman’s crotch (thankfully she’s wearing small panties) where she’s going at it at the bikini line. I’m surprised they didn’t stretch the elastic so she could go full on for a complete shave. 

I saw that last night during the Superman & Lois premiere and thought to myself "Isn't this show aimed at teenagers?"

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The Farmer's Dog commercial.  Please tell me one of the dudes in the commercial isn't talking about "high quality" poops.   How does he know his dog's poops are high quality?  And what does high quality poops even mean?

Is anyone here a dog shit expert? 

When I was a vet tech we used to take fecal samples for use in diagnosis. We had to mix them in a sterile solution before examining them under a microscope. We called this "making a cake'.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Leeds said:

Can you explain what patient facing stuff is?

I loathe all the Limu Emu ads, in part but not solely because no-one pronounces mutual "mootual".

I didn't realize anyone pronounced Emu as "E-moo" either. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I'm thinking Tom Selleck has a lifelong contract with AAG.

How about you guys at least invest a little time and money in updating the commercials.

How about Tom doesn't seem so lackluster and look like he's about to fall asleep and maybe doesn't keep reminding us this isn't his first rodeo.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, tres bien said:

How about you guys at least invest a little time and money in updating the commercials.

How about Tom doesn't seem so lackluster and look like he's about to fall asleep and maybe doesn't keep reminding us this isn't his first rodeo.

I can't stand his condescending attitude. Kelsey Grammer has one of these type of commercials (not about reverse mortgages though) and as effete as he can act, he is not half as patronizing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Please tell me one of the dudes in the commercial isn't talking about "high quality" poops.   How does he know his dog's poops are high quality?  And what does high quality poops even mean?

that is exactly what he says. The first time we heard it my husband and I looked at each other like "HUH?"

I'm only an intermediate level expert on cat poops, and could probably tell you what a bad poop is. But, nevermind.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

Do you ever watch Blue Bloods?  You describe Tom Selleck's acting in it perfectly.  He's utterly sanctimonious and pompous, plus he lets out a deeply annoying sigh every 30 seconds.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Do you ever watch Blue Bloods?  You describe Tom Selleck's acting in it perfectly.  He's utterly sanctimonious and pompous, plus he lets out a deeply annoying sigh every 30 seconds.

I only ever saw Tom Selleck as Richard in Friends.  I dislike the character so much,  I've never watched the reruns of the shows he's in.

• Love 3
On ‎02‎/‎20‎/‎2021 at 7:39 PM, SerenityNow721 said:

How about “I’ve got to break free....oh, I’ve got to break free”.  HATE.  And double hate for lack of imagination or creativity. 

I love that Queen song, but hate that it's so overused in commercials now.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I actually kind of appreciate that one because it doesn't try to be clever and cutesy like the topiary one.  Although that doesn't mean I want to see it again.

2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I didn't realize anyone pronounced Emu as "E-moo" either. 

I've heard it that way sometimes.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

What channel did you see the commercial on?  What was the brand of razor?  Asking for a friend.    Note to self, put Band-Aids on shopping list just in case.

This skin tag removal commercial is just gross.

The commercial talks about skin tag removal.  My dermatologist used nail clippers and that hurt, a lot.  The skin tag was real close to my eye.

I saw the commercial very late at night on Laff.  I think it for Schick. 

I've had more than 25 skin tags removed by my dermatologist. He burned them off. Those Hempvana commercials don’t give the entire picture. You have to use the stuff for 6 weeks and even then you’re not sure if it will work. 

• Useful 5
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

When I was a vet tech we used to take fecal samples for use in diagnosis. We had to mix them in a sterile solution before examining them under a microscope. We called this "making a cake'.

We had a dog-mom bring in a sample in an emptied Chap-Stick tube.  Forever after, it's been referred to as Crap-Stick.  It was NOT quality dog poop.

• LOL 18
On 2/21/2021 at 10:45 PM, Tashalynn29 said:

Nissan rogue commercial with the smug bitch who at the end says "Tick Tock".

I wish she would fall down a flight of stairs. And they  show that damn commercial twice each break.

Are you talking about the woman who barks orders at the woman in the parking lot who didn't get a promotion and in other commercial, shoots off her mouth at a family parked next to her at a drive-in theatre?  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Farmer's Dog commercial.  Please tell me one of the dudes in the commercial isn't talking about "high quality" poops.   How does he know his dog's poops are high quality?  And what does high quality poops even mean?

As it turns out, I am an expert on animal poop. I was going to say more, but that realization sort of stopped me in my tracks.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

My interpretation is that it simply means that the dog neither has diarrhea nor is constipated, and possibly that the the poop smells foul rather than incredibly foul. But if they came out and said that, we'd be complaining about it in here. "High quality poops" seems like a turn of phrase that would be pretty transparent for anyone having to scoop it up daily.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 5

I cannot bear to see another commercial for Discovery+. Why would I want to pay extra to see Guy Fieri when he is already on TV all the time? And by countless five-star reviews, I guess they mean half a dozen because that's all they show.

• Love 13
On 2/15/2021 at 12:24 PM, Scout Finch said:

~raises hand~ I go into the office one day a week and am at my desk the majority of the time where I can take my mask off. I have to put it on to go to the copier and stuff. But it's one of the very few time these days that I get/want to do a full face of makeup. I swear by Revlon's ColorStay Overtime lipstick, which is the one that has a clear sealing gloss at one end. Can't vouch for the regular ColorStay not "Overtime" kind because I haven't tried those. The sealer is amazing although it doesn't seem to work with other brands, as evidenced by the smear on the inside of my mask just walking from my car and then the short elevator trip up to the floor I work on the one time I tried. Even the makeup sealing spray on my face isn't enough for lipstick. Which sucks because I have some favorite lipsticks that I can no longer wear when I go anywhere. I did buy a different brand of these Cool Turtle masks and it's fine for short-time use and it is a nice change from sucking the cloth mask in and out as I breathe! However, when I had to wait a few hours at urgent care it started to annoy me so I eventually removed it. I didn't think to check if it left a pattern all over my face, like those old jelly shoes used to do to my feet!

I wear  lipstick under my mask as well. I still go to work everyday. I started using a long wearing lipstick  also. Cover girl outlast. Its ok but I will try Revlon.

• Love 2

There is a commercial for some car or another (yeah the commercial is really effective) anyway it's all about a mother racing to get her kid - who had to be at least 5 or 6 -  to a bathroom.  I could have sworn the commercial ended with the kid smirking because he has obviously  wet himself in the back seat of the car yet yesterday and again today the commercial is exactly as I remember except at the end the mother is shown fast walking the kid away from the car and presumably towards a public bathroom.  Did the makers get the message that the original commercial was totally obnoxious or did I dream up the original ending?

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I could have sworn the commercial ended with the kid smirking because he has obviously  wet himself in the back seat of the car yet yesterday and again today the commercial is exactly as I remember except at the end the mother is shown fast walking the kid away from the car and presumably towards a public bathroom.  Did the makers get the message that the original commercial was totally obnoxious or did I dream up the original ending?

I've never seen it, but others have posted about it, so unless it's a mass delusion, you didn't dream up the original ending.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I've never seen it, but others have posted about it, so unless it's a mass delusion, you didn't dream up the original ending.

I wonder if they filmed two alternate endings or this was how it was always supposed to end but it got cut off?  But then why show the smirking kid in one and not the other?  I'm going to go with they filmed two endings and got a lot of flack when they went with that first one.  And deservedly so!

• Love 4
On 2/24/2021 at 12:30 AM, CrystalBlue said:

I still haven't seen Ice-T commercial for CarShield on my teevee, only here at the posted link for YT.  Probably because I'm in California, and the end of the ad has white fine print on the screen that ends in Not Available in California.

My favorite thing about this commercial is he says (Paraphrasing) "Hey America, it's ya boy, Ice-T. If you know one thing about me, it's that I love my cars!" WHY WOULD THE COUNTRY KNOW THAT? If I know one thing about Ice-T, it's that he's an early 90s rapper, one of two with the moniker "ice something." If I know two things about Ice T, it's that he was on a show with some detectives, maybe it was CSI. Maybe it was NCIS. Maybe it was SVU, Maybe it was Postal Inspectors, but he was on one. If I know three things about Ice T, I think he was in New Jack City. Whyth fuck would I know what the hell he thinks of cars? 

On 2/24/2021 at 1:56 PM, tres bien said:

Another one that irks the fuck out of me. "This isn't my first rodeo" is code for he's old now, which fine, but how does that make him an expert on reverse mortgages and the financial impacts thereof? "I'm MAgnum PI, and I think we can all agree, I know mortgages."

• LOL 11
  • Love 7

Is there a more terrifying commercial than Focus Factor? I just saw it again and was so taken aback I immediately reported in. Clearly it's speed. THe woman taking it has literally made 300 chocolate chip cookies, when ostensibly the only people who live with her are her adult daughter and her husband. And they're EVERYWHERE. This is not a commercial kitchen. SHe's been up since 230AM. THen she won't let her daughter finish a god damn sentence, and probably got all the information to her questions by snooping in her phone. THEN she picks up the Focus Factor and TURNS INTO MARK TWAIN???? Why would anyone take this?

(PS I know it's supposed to be einstein but the distinction is not clear and why would that be better)?

I also hate the commercial where the woman in the bathroom talks about the panty liners (ugh, gross word, panty) that take care of her skin...DOWN THERE. "Are you still here?" Yes, because I'm a fucking prisoner here obviously!

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

THEN she picks up the Focus Factor and TURNS INTO MARK TWAIN???? Why would anyone take this?

(PS I know it's supposed to be einstein but the distinction is not clear and why would that be better)?

That transformation is truly terrifying

• Love 2

I'll give you one more for a Friday bonus. THe Bathfitter commercial, where the woman says "I truly didn't know what to expect!" Lady, DIDN"T YOU ASK HIM FOR A NEW TUB? It's not like she walksinto the new bathroom and finds a chimpanzee riding an eagle. THAT would ne unexcpected. 

• LOL 23
On 2/24/2021 at 10:51 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I saw that (pubic hair razors) last night during the Superman & Lois premiere and thought to myself "Isn't this show aimed at teenagers?"

It's never too early to teach tween, teen, and adult women that their natural state of being is gross. And stinky. And that we should strive to look like pre-pubescents. After all, how else would the makers of these products survive?

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

It's never too early to teach tween, teen, and adult women that their natural state of being is gross.

Yeah I'm pretty glad that I'm old, and came of age in the "Our Bodies Ourselves" era.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Yeah I'm pretty glad that I'm old, and came of age in the "Our Bodies Ourselves" era.

We're probably close to the same age, and I remember ads for Massengill douche. 

Mom and daughter strolling down the beach.

Daughter: Mom, sometimes I feel... not so fresh

Mom extolls the virtues of injecting chemicals into one's vagina

Ugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

It's never too early to teach tween, teen, and adult women that their natural state of being is gross. And stinky. And that we should strive to look like pre-pubescents. After all, how else would the makers of these products survive?

Look, I'm going to stand up for these commercials, SORT OF...they do not do a very good job of making it clear that your state of maintenance down there is your personal preference and if you prefer a certain look in the zone, their razors are for you. I don't see there's a lot of "Ladies, trim that gross vag fro, what are you, a cavewoman?!?" in any of the messaging. It wasn't until I saw (as a guy, now!) a commercial for razors for OUR zones that I felt less weird about my own preferences.

I WILL take issue with the product designed FOR teens, BY teens, that's advertised to control odors "down there." First of all, what the fuck, are girls not insecure enough? Second of all, WHAT TEENAGE SCIENTISTS ARE DESIGNING SOMETHING TO BE APPLIED TO GENITALS? How the fuck did that get past the FDA?!?

• Love 15

There's a new commercial for Alexa with a weaselly father who looks like Alan Harper pretending to drop his toast so he can sneakily ask it about when Pompey was wiped out and the name of the volcano that did it, which is bad enough, but why is Alexa whispering the answers? 

On 2/25/2021 at 5:32 AM, cynicat said:

As it turns out, I am an expert on animal poop. I was going to say more, but that realization sort of stopped me in my tracks.  

In what way?

22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I cannot bear to see another commercial for Discovery+. Why would I want to pay extra to see Guy Fieri when he is already on TV all the time? And by countless five-star reviews, I guess they mean half a dozen because that's all they show.

Not only am I sick of the D+ commercials,  I hate that all the shows I watch under their umbrella were migrated to D+, leaving little to nothing I want to watch. 🤬

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Ugh.

There was also “Mom, do you douche?”

”I sure do.”

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

Ugh.

Then there was this true life situation in which two women are chatting about their freshness in an office setting and one of them conveniently has a douche sitting right there on her desk. Like you do.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I might or might not have had a little too big a bite of an edible, but I swear I saw a commercial last weekend for an 'injectible' birth control for women that appeared to be a lotion or gel like substance that comes in what appears to be a plastic injector that looked something like a hypodermic neede. My wife and I were aghast, because it was like "ladies, if you don't want to deal with birth control pills, IUDs, etc, have we got a solution for you!" My wife was like "How big is that thing" and I said "The size o your arm, and it's like piping pastry dough through a injector needle, so you need two people to do it." We both laughed like hell at it, but good grief, ladies, this is why you should just keep rubbers around if you're single and want to get your freak on.  

PS I thought the woman at my last job who'd cut her nails with a nail clipper at her desk was the fucking height of annoying. IMagine sitting next to the frigging McDouche sisters up there, like what's the face the guy on the other side of that cubicle is making??? Why the hell would you need to bring it to work? It's either "I don't have time to do this at home, I'll just sprtiz this liquid up my muff on my lunch break" OR "Betsy was really a little ripe yesterday, I'm just going to bring this in and make casual conversation."

Edited by Uncle JUICE
  • LOL 9

There's a commercial with some dude doing sub-karaoke level signing along to Opportunities by the Pet Shop Boys.   As if it wasn't bad enough he's slaughtering a classic song, he's duetting with his creepy as fuck hood ornament.   

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, Maverick said:

There's a commercial with some dude doing sub-karaoke level signing along to Opportunities by the Pet Shop Boys.   As if it wasn't bad enough he's slaughtering a classic song, he's duetting with his creepy as fuck hood ornament.   

That's for Allstate.   And very creepy

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Maverick said:

There's a commercial with some dude doing sub-karaoke level signing along to Opportunities by the Pet Shop Boys.   As if it wasn't bad enough he's slaughtering a classic song, he's duetting with his creepy as fuck hood ornament

aw, I kinda like that ad. Mostly I like the tune. The hood ornament is creepy, but she's growing on me...

• Love 3