Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It works by eating away the dead skin cells in the area because "odor" is caused by the bacteria naturally living on your skin eating said skin cells.  If you get rid of the dead skin cells, then there's nothing for the bacteria to eat and no odor is caused.

Your normal flora -- the bacteria living on your skin -- are generally beneficial to you.  I don't want to kill them!  They help protect you against intruder bacteria, and illness. Also, I kind of want those dead skin cells to be still attached until they're ready to fall off on their own.  They help protect the new skin cells underneath.  

• Like 11
(edited)

AHA in the form of mandelic acid is beneficial for exfoliation and many people use it on their face. But not daily. 

It's a pretty harsh ingredient and I agree that putting it on sensitive areas daily doesn't seem like a good idea. So I don't know if it's that or if Lume is highly fragranced and that's what keeps you smelling from offending odors

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

These people who are grossed out by pet food in the fridge may have had an unfortunate incident where they mistakenly thought it was beef stew or something.  Hilarity ensues.

I had a Lume ad pop up on FB.  49% off for Mothers' Day.  Just what every mom wants.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 9

On April 20 I posted that had gotten Mother's Day ads from Lume. I said I'd rather have a vacuum.

PSA my daughter bought a Bissell Crosswave. She loves it. She has a baby, 2 cats and a dog. 

I wanted one and she offered to buy it for me for Mother's Day. However you can't use it on natural hardwood floors so I can't use it. But based on her recommendation if you're in the market for a floor cleaner 

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

These people who are grossed out by pet food in the fridge may have had an unfortunate incident where they mistakenly thought it was beef stew or something.  Hilarity ensues.

I had a Lume ad pop up on FB.  49% off for Mothers' Day.  Just what every mom wants.

I mistakenly thought a can of Dinty Moore was beef stew once. 😉

BTW I use Gold Bond Friction Defense for certain body areas that rub together where sweat and chafing can happen.  It's used by athletes and known for helping with "chub rub", although you don't have to be either to appreciate it.  It's an unscented stick that looks like a deodorant and as far as I can see the ingredients seem OK although I am no expert.  I think that's a better alternative to Lume as it seems to control sweat in its own way.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

If the dog food is as good as they say, it's probably better than lots of people foods out there.

I once opened a can of cat food years ago -- just mass market stuff, nothing special or high-end (I was younger and poorer, with a lot less info at my fingertips) and there was a legit whole shrimp in it, like you'd see on a tray at a party! Also, it didn't have that obvious pet-food smell; it just smelled seafoody. My friend and I were like, OK, I guess if we ever find ourselves in extremely dire grocery straits, we have an option, haha!

I'm not saying that the fact that there was an obvious shrimp means the food was extra healthy (again, I know more now about pet nutrition needs than I did then), but it was a surprise!

• Like 1

Sounds like the Fussie Cat brand -- we use it to entice cats into traps for our TNR (trap, neuter, release) efforts & they love it.  I think I would too!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I, too, being young and relatively poor at the time, fed Chester those tall cans of Kozy Kitten.  I found an intact crab claw in it.  At first, I was kind of freaked out, but then I thought if he's eating crab, he's eating better than *I* am. LOL

Kozykitten-3509906027.jpg

• LOL 5
On 4/24/2024 at 9:25 PM, Kimboweena said:

There's a commercial for Club Crackers.  These women are singing about cheese and crackers, then one woman launches into a loud obnoxious version.  I cannot mute the TV fast enough!

I like it better than the one where a person is spreading jelly on the cracker SO MESSY! Oh my god, the sticky. 

• Like 3

I keep having a "get off my lawn!" moment every time I see this commercial for Samsung's new mobile device showing people at a concert trying and failing to take pictures of the band instead of just enjoying the moment. I'm also irrationally annoyed at the one using AI to remove the part that makes the photo interesting, the dark side of people in front of her.

• Like 4
On 4/19/2024 at 5:19 AM, Gharlane said:

I saw this commercial during the latest ep of Vanderpump Rules. It annoys me because Schemer mispronounces "eSpresso" and they act like bitches with the "not famous" guy'

I took one for the team and listened not once, or twice, but three times, and never heard anyone say "expresso".  I assume that's what you have a problem with.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 2:40 AM, millennium said:

The next thing will probably be deodorants for other people's bodies, so if someone's aroma offends you, you can spray them discreetly from a distance.

Is it wrong that I would love to see a commerical of people discreetly spraying people? 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6
On 4/25/2024 at 9:26 AM, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial for Clorox disinfectant with two kids making a game of throwing pieces of salami at a refrigerator door and seeing if they'll stick

OK, off topic but that brought back memories of me as a bored teenage fast food worker.  When it was time to wipe down the outside of the metal refrigerators, we'd first have sliced pickle contests.  Dip one side of a sliced pickle in mayo then throw it at the surface.  The one that stuck and stayed the longest won.

To stay on topic of commercials, my latest isn't a big deal, but annoys me.  It's for a cell phone company that talks about a deal when you are "55 and up".  You can't be both 55 and up.

• Like 2

I saw another commercial for one of those full-body deodorants, can't remember which one. The young lady was sitting (I think with legs crossed) and lauding the product; had on a pair of khaki shorts. Towards the end, when she described the places to use the deodorant, she smiled a bit and opened her legs! Not a lot, but still. And the shorts were not long. Did I imagine all of this?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
14 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

No, you didn't imagine it if it's the one where she rubs it on her inner thigh.

As my grandmother would say: Jesus Weeps.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, lh25 said:

To stay on topic of commercials, my latest isn't a big deal, but annoys me.  It's for a cell phone company that talks about a deal when you are "55 and up".  You can't be both 55 and up.

In terms of "talking to" more than one person at a time, which I am assuming the ad is doing, it works. I don't know the exact wording used or implied, obviously, but I assume the deal is for customers "[who are] 55 and [also customers who are] up [from 55]."

Not great, granted, but I run into this all the time in my work for a whole mess of reasons (old copy that would have to be rereviewed by legal to change, time/space constraints in the ad, a deliberate need for vagueness, a higher-up who thinks the prose is just so beautiful and moving and perfect as is, and will not stoop so low as to take an editor's advice...). 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Sad 1
On 4/27/2024 at 6:14 AM, tres bien said:

AHA in the form of mandelic acid is beneficial for exfoliation and many people use it on their face. But not daily. 

It's a pretty harsh ingredient and I agree that putting it on sensitive areas daily doesn't seem like a good idea. So I don't know if it's that or if Lume is highly fragranced and that's what keeps you smelling from offending odors

Plus, these commercials imply that it's okay to use in the lady parts area, but you really should be very careful what you use in that area.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not great, granted, but I run into this all the time in my work for a whole mess of reasons (old copy that would have to be rereviewed by legal to change, time/space constraints in the ad, a deliberate need for vagueness, a higher-up who thinks the prose is just so beautiful and moving and perfect as is, and will not stoop so low as to take an editor's advice...). 

In my previous life as an ad agency copywriter (don't judge!) I used to have to sit through hour-long meetings in which account executives would debate with creative over things like which phrasing is better:  "visit a branch near you" or "visit a branch nearest you."  No joke.  I used to think of those meetings as "Ad Nauseum."

I remember another time I wrote a print ad with a headline like, oh I don't know, "The Best Donut in the Hole World." (or some nonsense like that).     I put a period to it because it was a bold statement and besides that was the style of most print ads.   But no, my immediate creative director, an older guy who had a pathological need to put his thumbprint on everything I did, started dicking around and would repeatedly remove the period from various versions of the ad as it went from concept to mock-up to print mechanicals (this was in the pre-computer age).   We were on the eve of the ad going to print and he was still fighting me.  "It's not a proper sentence, so the period is misplaced," he would say, stroking his beard while mentally stroking something else.   This is advertising, I would insist, not grammar class.   I finally went over his head to the executive creative director and explained my position, while thinking, "I'm almost thirty and in a fight to the death over a period."  In the end I won, but this occupied nearly a week of my life.

I was still too young and ambitious to realize that none of it matters.

• Like 8

Yup. I’m an editor and I used to feel like I had to fight for so much stuff. Now I just make sure that I leave a clear and detailed suggestion as to why I recommend the change, and then go about my business; if someone else rejects the suggestion, it’s on them.

• Like 7

Underboob, buttcrack, pits, bits, etc., apparently our new obsession is graphic depictions of toe fungus. At least they don't have a catchy jingle yet.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Don't give them any ideas.  All we need are singing and dancing buttcracks.

It's only a matter of time before Lume rips off of the Pepto Bismol jingle.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
10 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's only a matter of time before Lume rips off of the Pepto Bismol jingle

When this subject thread started, I immediately thought of that. "diarrhea 🎵"

• LOL 5
On 4/28/2024 at 8:48 PM, Ancaster said:

I took one for the team and listened not once, or twice, but three times, and never heard anyone say "expresso".  I assume that's what you have a problem with.

Maybe they changed it, maybe I am used to hearing it wrong. [shrug]

I really do not like the new Carl's Jr. commercial where the guy is so desperate for a burger that he crashes his car into a full Carl's Jr. and grabs one.  The previous ad where a fighter pilot ejects from his plane, crashes through the roof of a Carl's Jr. and steals someone's burger was dumb, but didn't bother me as much because it's more cartoonish/implausible.  People do crash their cars into businesses (including coincidentally the veterinary clinic next to the closest Carl's Jr. to me--at least no one was hurt), so I don't think this ad is funny.  The ads where the cartoon star kept yelling "YEAH!" were better than this.  I don't know how every series of ads they settle on ends up worse than the last, but somehow they pull it off. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

People do crash their cars into businesses

And into houses.  A couple of kids were killed/seriously injured recently when a car crashed into their house.  I don't like that commercial, either, and I haven't even seen it!

• Like 5
On 4/12/2024 at 12:41 PM, mmecorday said:

The Tovala commercial with the woman who laments that all the meal kit delivery services she has tried have sucked, but "now something new has entered the chat" and "it's a vibe." May your marinara never cling to your pasta, vocal fry lady!

"Yah, it's a vibe."  Gah, I hate this affected nonsense so much.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Dr. Stinks-a-lot, just shut tf up already.  "Cologne quality scents" 🙄🙄🙄

I cannot with heavily fragranced deodorants.  I wear perfume don't want "cologne quality" or "perfume quality" scents in every single body product I use daily.  They never layer right, and you end up smelling worse than if you had just forgone everything to begin with.  

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I just saw some commercial for some kind of hard lemonade-type canned drinks and the guy (who I believe is famous, but I can’t think of who it is) says that he loves being an adult because it gives a new meaning to bringing a fruit platter to a party, as he carries a bunch of the drink in various fruit flavors. But what is bugging me is the implication that, I guess, non-adults tend to bring literal fruit platters to parties?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just saw some commercial for some kind of hard lemonade-type canned drinks and the guy (who I believe is famous, but I can’t think of who it is)

Good timing, as I just saw that this morning -- it's comedian/actor Ron Funches.

On 5/2/2024 at 4:58 PM, dleighg said:

I think it happens in other cities as well. Why does Chicago get so much hate? (I don't live there but its crime rate per capita is not particularly high)

I wasn't hating on Chicago, I live in Chicagoland, but commenting that those ads are too close to what we see i the news every day. (Literally, people are driving into business almost every day here.  I'm sure this happens in other big cities as well.)