Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, jcbrown said:

What is a "genuine" KitKat?

I imagine it's one that is not from the US.  I've had KitKats in Europe and they are delicious--not waxy at all.  Chocolate in the US is truly awful.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 2/22/2024 at 12:12 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

"In 2021, MyPillow founder Mike Lindell offered $5 million to anyone who could disprove his claim that he had data showing voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election. Now, he must pay a 64-year-old from Nevada that award, a federal judge ruled Wednesday."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2024/02/22/mike-lindell-election-dispute-decision/

Bet he never pays it.

Lindell claims Fox cancelled his commercials

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mike-lindell-claims-fox-news-canceled-him-after-network-stops-running-mypillow-ads/ar-AA1mXnSP

So maybe they will disappear

• LOL 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Sorry - one not made in the US with Hershey's vomit-flavoured chocolate.

THANK YOU! I have long declared that Hershey's Kisses taste like the smell of baby vomit. People think I'm a lunatic, but I am not -- I am wise and sensible! Also, though, I can't 100% hate Hershey's because my cat loves the Xmas Kiss commercial with the bells and it is so cute to see him get excited when it comes on.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

In the world of litigation, I just saw an ad soliciting customers of hair-straightening products who claim to have suffered injury/gotten medical conditions as a result of their use. Where will it end??

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
8 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

In the world of litigation, I just saw an ad soliciting customers of hair-straightening products who claim to have suffered injury/gotten medical conditions as a result of their use. Where will it end??

Although apparently people were harmed using it, I always thought talcum powder was probably the most harmless thing in the world.  Who knew?

I have a theory that phlegm causes cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.  I'm still waiting for the lawyer ad for that.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Products like flat irons or like solutions in bottles?

Edited by TattleTeeny
(edited)
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I guess I need to know the details; right now, I’m unsure as to what’s is not plausible about a chemical product harming someone. 

This article discusses the status of the case, and here's the basis for it:

Hair straightener lawsuits started gaining traction in 2022, when a study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute ignited concerns over the links between hair straightening products and uterine cancer.

The decade-long study observed 33,497 women aged 35 to 74, comparing cancer incidence rates between frequent hair relaxer users and non-users. The findings showed that women who used hair relaxers were nearly twice as likely to be diagnosed with uterine cancer. Even more troubling was the heightened risk in women who applied hair relaxers over four times in the past year.

“We estimated that 1.64% of women who never used hair straighteners would go on to develop uterine cancer by the age of 70, but for frequent users, that risk goes up to 4.05%,” according to the study leader, Alexandra White, Ph.D.

These findings spurred legal action from people filing lawsuits for medical bills, pain and suffering and missed wages.

Jenniffer Mitchell, a 32-year-old woman with no family history of the disease, became the first one to sue. After being diagnosed with uterine cancer, which led to a complete hysterectomy, Mitchell filed lawsuits against five hair relaxer manufacturers, including industry giant L’Oreal USA, alleging that their products, which she had used since 2000, caused her cancer.

Subsequent legal actions ensued, targeting renowned companies like L’Oreal, Strength of Nature and SoftSheen. Plaintiffs claim that these companies, in marketing their products predominantly to women of color, failed to caution users about the potential risks.

While the focus of the lawsuits remains on uterine, endometrial and ovarian cancers, that could change as more evidence emerges, potentially implicating hair straighteners in a broader range of health concerns.

This Reuters article is good, focused on how and why these products are marketed to women of color.

I haven't seen any of the commercials advising potential clients of the lawsuits, but it's no surprise there are several of them running right now.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I started going grey when I was sixteen and coloured my hair for a few years, then realized I didn't want to be putting chemicals on my head for the next few decades.  Also, I didn't want the hassle, or the cost.

I've never regretted it, but I've also been expecting law suits for a long time.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

THANK YOU! I have long declared that Hershey's Kisses taste like the smell of baby vomit. People think I'm a lunatic, but I am not -- I am wise and sensible! Also, though, I can't 100% hate Hershey's because my cat loves the Xmas Kiss commercial with the bells and it is so cute to see him get excited when it comes on.

Hello, fellow wise and sensible non-lunatic cat lover.

Here's proof for next time you want to argue the point:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/hersheys-chocolate-tastes-like-vomit_l_60479e5fc5b6af8f98bec0cd

Apparently there's something called butyric acid in Hershey's that occurs either as a natural process during their manufacturing or because they add it as a preservative - the jury's out on that.  From the article:

This, the Daily Mail article (among others) alleges, is due to the presence of butyric acid in Hershey’s chocolate. Butyric acid is also found in rancid butter, parmesan cheese and, sorry, vomit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
33 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Also, I didn't want the hassle, or the cost

I am also grey (though I started around 40) and am glad not to have the cost and hassle and white stripe. (I go to church and sit in the balcony and wish that the older ladies down below could know how the stripe looks).

Anyway, I get the same feels from the lumify ads. Like do I want to put drops in my EYES (those priceless things) to make them look BRIGHTER?

Seriously?

• Like 7
(edited)

Is butyric acid one of those things that only certain people can detect, like asparagus pee smell or soapy cilantro taste or the almond smell of cyanide? Because if not, who the hell is eating Hershey's Kisses?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Is butyric acid one of those things that only certain people can detect, like asparagus pee smell or soapy cilantro taste or the almond smell of cyanide? Because if not, who the hell is eating Hershey's Kisses?

I've never heard that.  I think more likely if it's what you grew up eating you just don't know any different?

I remember being so happy to see Cadbury's Fruit and Nut here when I moved, but no, nasty, nasty, nasty.  Also, they used to sell real Cadbury's mini eggs (imported, with the hard "shell"), but now they're also made by Hershey's.

Yes, my life is pretty sad.  🤣

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I've never heard that.  I think more likely if it's what you grew up eating you just don't know any different?

I remember being so happy to see Cadbury's Fruit and Nut here when I moved, but no, nasty, nasty, nasty.  Also, they used to sell real Cadbury's mini eggs (imported, with the hard "shell"), but now they're also made by Hershey's.

Yes, my life is pretty sad.  🤣

I had my first mini egg of the season last week & my first thought was "I don't remember the shells being this soft" and thought I had a stale pack from last year but nope apparently I didn't. 🥲

• Sad 1

Every Lume commercial is worse than the previous one. With a new spokeswoman she tells viewers until you start using Lume you didn't know how bad you smelled 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1
  • Applause 2
On 3/2/2024 at 7:21 PM, tres bien said:

Every Lume commercial is worse than the previous one. With a new spokeswoman she tells viewers until you start using Lume you didn't know how bad you smelled 

Basic advertising 101, create some problem you didn't know existed and then sell the "solution".

• Like 11

I guess I'm just a cranky old fogey but I absolutely cannot stand this Huggies commercial about different kinds of baby butts. I guess if you love babies you probably think it's cute but I don't want to hear about baby butts. Also, it's one of those ads that airs nonstop on streaming platforms so I've heard it about a trillion times now.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

Completely irritated with the talking pigeon commercials. One is for insurance and one is for Direct-TV. I guess the talking owl in the eyeglasses commercial is to blame.

Also the kid in the 5/3 bank commercial asking Why? I can't get to my mute button fast enough.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, margol29 said:

Completely irritated with the talking pigeon commercials.

I don't like the commercial as a whole, but I like the part where one pigeon says "That's up, not North".

But I hate the part where the directionally-challenged pigeon insists his internal compass is genetically great, because his grandfather was a homing pigeon -- the other pigeon says "Must have skipped a generation".  No, if it had, it's the father who would have had no sense of direction, with this pigeon picking back up grandpa's legacy.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
52 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"Must have skipped a generation".  No, if it had, it's the father who would have had no sense of direction, with this pigeon picking back up grandpa's legacy

I noticed the same thing. I guess we both pay too much attention to commercials LOL.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Balance of Nature Supplements...and that Dr. Gehr lady who is in the commercial. If that is what those supplements do to those who take them, no thanks.

How can the people making that commercial not see how awful she looks? It's disturbing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 4:33 PM, Bastet said:

I don't like the commercial as a whole, but I like the part where one pigeon says "That's up, not North".

But I hate the part where the directionally-challenged pigeon insists his internal compass is genetically great, because his grandfather was a homing pigeon -- the other pigeon says "Must have skipped a generation".  No, if it had, it's the father who would have had no sense of direction, with this pigeon picking back up grandpa's legacy.

I was with you on the generation thing too, but then I figured that it could also mean that it got all the way to this particular bird and then stopped, hence, "skipping" him. Maybe it picked up again with that bird's kid, if he has one? That said, if that's how they meant it, it really takes away from the intended jokey manner of the commercial to make us stop and think about it (and ponder as to whether he has a child!), because it does deviate from what I have always understood to be the generally accepted use of the phrase.

Edited by TattleTeeny

I despise the Tina Fey booking.com commercials -- you know, the body doubles?  Was Glenn Close's booking agency having a special that week?   The part that really irks me though is when the bigfoot-like character does that knock-off Chewbacca impression.   And this spot is on ALL the time.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

The Caravana commerical with Kristen Bell screaming "Hold!" is still very annoying. I also still don't get what she's waiting for. Cars don't go up in value. They only go down. She's losing money.

• Like 8
  • Fire 3
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

The Caravana commerical with Kristen Bell screaming "Hold!" is still very annoying. I also still don't get what she's waiting for. Cars don't go up in value. They only go down. She's losing money.

At one point the guy says that the demand for silver cars has gone up. Evidently in Carvana world, things like vehicle color can affect sale price. That's all I've got.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

At one point the guy says that the demand for silver cars has gone up. Evidently in Carvana world, things like vehicle color can affect sale price. That's all I've got.

Actually, it does.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Colonial Penn.  I imagine this has come up, but I couldn't find it on a quick search.

Why is the woman yelling, "The three P's?  What are the three P's?"  Why doesn't she just ask like a normal person, instead of making it seem as though only idiots might ask the question?

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

I've posted about this before. Never mind that Colonial Penn is a rip-off, the 3 Ps don't make sense. One P is a price you can afford, another is a price that fits your budget. What's the difference?

I find it amusing that Senior Life takes a jab at Colonial Penn without naming them.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

The ad that drives me nuts is the Consumer Cellular customer service rep. I loathe the way she babbles, "Consumer Cellular" in a singsong-y voice. I try to hit the mute before she starts.

How come all these ads for body odor are directed at women?

Leave the Hershey's Kisses for me. IMNSHO, the vomit-taste chocolates are from Europe.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 3/10/2024 at 5:05 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I've been saying that about the 3 Ps for a while now. Two of 'em are the same thing.

The third P is the one you need to get incontinence products home delivered for.

• LOL 8
(edited)

When I see the three Ps commercial -- the one with the Ps with four lines after them (P_ _ _ _) -- all I can think of is Cheech in From Dusk Til Dawn saying, "pussy, pussy, pussy."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 11
On 3/10/2024 at 12:59 PM, annzeepark914 said:

How come all these ads for body odor are directed at women?

Now, now, Mando is for men, with manly scents instead of the flowery girly scents.  😏

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Now, now, Mando is for men, with manly scents instead of the flowery girly scents.  😏

😒😡😬  But how come there's no ad showing a guy spraying deodorant down *his* pants? Or, that awful, smirky woman sniffing around a man???  🤬

• LOL 4
Just now, annzeepark914 said:

😒😡😬  But how come there's no ad showing a guy spraying deodorant down *his* pants? Or, that awful, smirky woman sniffing around a man???  🤬

Give it time.  After all there is one where the terrible Dr. Shannon says something about wondering how your balls smell.

Yeah, all these commercials can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

@proserpina65 I'm (almost) speechless! She said that on TV? I thought the FCC had rules. Well...they used to, back when things were a tad more civilized in this country. I guess I forgot about folks on cable news shows using profanities lately. And our parents thought the country was going to hell in a hand basket, back in the 60's 🙄.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I've decided that I hate the new Jardiance ad even worse than the first one. I think it's the lead actress; she comes across phony/ actress-y. The OG came across as genuinely happy, even though she over-acted, if that makes any sense. 

As annoying as the original 'plot' (dances, tries on new dress, dances) was, the new one with the 'funny' scenes (mixed-up lunch orders, dumb guy with moobs needs help with printer) are totally pointless. And we still have to listen to that song.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

There is a Mando ad with a spokesman. He's creepy.

There's also an All Spice ad for an aerosol spray men can use all over but I don't think it's offensive 

11 hours ago, tres bien said:

There's also an All Spice ad for an aerosol spray men can use all over but I don't think it's offensive 

Only because the guy asks about using it on his... toes.  But we all know what he meant.

(edited)

What I wonder, though, is what is it that we'd want the ads to say? Obviously the manufacturer wants people to know that (and maybe how and why) the product is different than deodorant made only for armpits. So would a more clinical, scientific style be better? Or if the "you can use it on your delicate junk" part was in text only at the bottom of the screen? Or if the person talking about it wasn;t that particular lady? I'm just wondering. 

Personally, I don't find them inappropriate or anything, but also not silly or funny or especially relatable either. 

The other thing I don't get about the responses to Lumē is the annoyance that it works for 72 hours, the "just take a shower!!!" thing. I don't think it's encouraging people to neglect normal, routine hygiene, it's just letting them know that if external forces get in the way of it, it's all good -- or, you know, if someone has a legit medical problem that causes some smell issues in this regard. 

In other news, I actually saw a commercial that made me laugh. I think it was for something to do with AARP, maybe? It showed a guy -- obviously someone who's been an adult for a while -- fall off a skateboard and say, very deadpan, "That was not radical." I don't know why that last part was so funny to me, but it was.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Coterie diapers - since we started using them, we have less diaper changes. No, no, no!!!! It's fewer diaper changes. Dear ad writers - it's not that hard.

Edited by chessiegal
Edited to correct typos.
  • Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5