Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I don't have a problem with the term dollar signs. To me, $$$$ = money.

FrontDoor app that helps you diagnose problems or fix things around the house. The guy who finds out what the problem is with his oven and then proceeds to dance that involves jumping up on the counter of a kitchen island brings out a knee-jerk reaction in me. Shoes on the countertop - hell no!!

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

That FrontDoor app bugs me for a different reason (though I agree about the counter). Don't more fixes involve at least one trip to the hardware store? Do you bring the FrontDoor guy along with you to wander the aisles at Home Depot?

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
(edited)
18 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't have a problem with the term dollar signs. To me, $$$$ = money.

I mean, that's fine -- it's certainly not the only grammar/usage issue in commercials, as we all know. But it still isn't a correct statement, which was what annoyed me. People earn dollars, not signs.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, millennium said:

are nothing, NOTHING, compared to the skin inevitably waiting for them five or ten years down the road. 

I've been watching videos on Facebook made by Gideon Patinkin-Grody featuring his parents. OMG, those old farts are hilarious. Mandy & Kathryn are so funny answering questions Gideon gives them. In one of the videos, Kath mentions stuff she doesn't like about herself. #1 was her face becoming pudding.  I know what she means.

34 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Do you bring the FrontDoor guy along with you to wander the aisles at Home Depot?

...because for damn sure the people that work there don't know anything. I once asked an employee if they had "these cabinet knobs, not in polished nickel, but in chrome?"  He had no idea WTH "Chrome" is other than Google's browser.  Remember when our cars had LOTS of chrome on them?

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 4

Besides finding the Botox cosmetic ads ridiculous, the ones that annoy me are the ones that say "I'm still me, just with less lines." No, no, no - it's fewer lines. Most of them say that now, but there are still a few that say less instead of fewer.

• Like 9
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 5

Even though it’s my job to be upset by all of the grammar errors, I don’t really care that much outside of work and I also fully accept some as just part of language evolution and as colloquialisms. But “less” where “fewer” should be is painful, especially in advertising. 

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I look in my closet and see stuff Poshmark wouldn't want. I have no designer clothes, shoes, or bags. No dollars in my closet! 😄 Maybe your closet looks like mine. Poshmark doesn't specify, but I'm guessing they only want high-end stuff.

You're thinking of another site (TheRealReal?), but these commercials annoy me because they make it sounds like you're making a profit instead of selling your used unwanted clothes that you bought.

8 hours ago, tres bien said:

Dr Lume needs to see a dermatologist 

I saw a new commercial last night with a woman who just showered telling me that her privates smelled so bad that people noticed. You should see a doctor if it's that bad!

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Well, it's the same as any resale operation, garage sale, or secondhand/vintage store; a seller makes money in the sense that it's money that they wouldn't have if they hadn't sold the stuff. And there's obviously no way to determine whether someone may end up with more money than they started out with; it clearly depends on what people sell, how much they sell, and how much they sell it for (like any other kind business). So, people definitely could make money in that way as well. 

And don't forget these resale sites take a percentage of the sale.

• Like 2
(edited)

Right. But it's still not inconceivable that some one can make a profit.

Again, everyone, I an NOT expressing an opinion on these sites here (I mean, I use them, they're fine, whatever). I object to the dumb use of "signs" in the commercial, that's all.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Hugs 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I saw a new commercial last night with a woman who just showered telling me that her privates smelled so bad that people noticed. You should see a doctor if it's that bad!

Odd, isn't it, how many ad campaigns are built around the theme of "You Stink." Outside of folks leaving the gym, medical issues or those with just poor hygiene, most of us are pretty inoffensive, aren't we?

Edited by SG429
  • Like 10
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1

I was hoping the Kay Jeweler ad with the woman pulling the man into a swimming pool would go away after Valentine's Day. No such luck. The opening lyric "I want to love you" is yucky.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

'Want to know a secret?'

No. 

'Other parts of me stink besides my armpits.' 

Thanks for sharing. Now go take a shower, you slob. 

I've always wondered if we stink inside. When a surgeon opens us up, do we emanate ungodly odors? Stuff that we emit, e.g. farts, burps, etc., all stink - does it follow that our insides are smelly?

• LOL 5

I paid closer attention to the FrontDoor app ad where the rep says your oven igniter is not working. He then says - we'll get that fixed for you. That makes more sense, because even if I had the part, I wouldn't know how to replace it.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've always wondered if we stink inside. When a surgeon opens us up, do we emanate ungodly odors? Stuff that we emit, e.g. farts, burps, etc., all stink - does it follow that our insides are smelly?

Perhaps that's another reason why the surgeon wears a mask? 😅

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
On 2/8/2024 at 4:52 AM, Haleth said:

This one doesn’t annoy or outrage me so much as it grosses me out. Bovine colostrum as a nutritional supplement?  Eww. 

On 2/8/2024 at 4:57 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I kept thinking I heard the word colostrum and kept saying I must have miss heard but nope, breast milk adjacent for adults is a thing now.

Not that I have any interest in taking it, but I genuinely don't understand the problem.  Why is it worse than drinking the cow's milk from a supermarket?  Or eating cheese, etc?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Only one way to find out. Got a knife? A volunteer? 

• LOL 10

Has anyone mentioned the Abrysvo (I think) commercial with the woman playing the trumpet? I guess it's a medication/vaccine to help with respiratory illness and helps you breathe better. But I hate the commercial because first of all, I hate jazz/scat music, and the woman is making my ears bleed with her trumpeting; and second, at the end of the commercial, I definitely do NOT need to see her and her defiant breaths of triumph all up close in the camera while she stares directly at us. I am happy that her lungs work, but that is creepy. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Has anyone mentioned the Abrysvo (I think) commercial with the woman playing the trumpet? I guess it's a medication/vaccine to help with respiratory illness and helps you breathe better. But I hate the commercial because first of all, I hate jazz/scat music, and the woman is making my ears bleed with her trumpeting; and second, at the end of the commercial, I definitely do NOT need to see her and her defiant breaths of triumph all up close in the camera while she stares directly at us. I am happy that her lungs work, but that is creepy. 

It's a vaccine to prevent RSV, a respiratory illness that can cause serious problems for some of us old folks like me. I got the vaccine at my last doctor visit.

Respiratory syncytial (sin-SISH-uhl) virus, or RSV, is a common respiratory virus that usually causes mild, cold-like symptoms. Most people recover in a week or two, but RSV can be serious. Infants and older adults are more likely to develop severe RSV and need hospitalization.

The CDC recommends the vaccine for those at risk, like me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

No need for that. Google tells me the answer is no unless there is disease.

When I worked as a butcher and sides of beef came in as one huge piece that had to be cut down into its parts by following the bone to get as much meat as possible one of the other butchers was having a problem finding the spine to follow. He had actually cut into the bone without knowing it as it was black & rotten but there was no sign of any other disease & boy did it stink, there were only 4 butchers in the room at the time & every one of us puked from the smell.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

It's a vaccine to prevent RSV, a respiratory illness that can cause serious problems for some of us old folks like me.

Yes, I'm familiar with RSV. Just couldn't confirm if that's what the commercial was for since I try very hard to tune it out if I can't get to the remote fast enough.

• Like 3
(edited)

The Allegra commercial with the cranky young woman wearing headphones and singing is incredibly annoying.  Why is she so annoyed if she's taking Allegra and can breath in the spring?  It seems to be on rotation with the Jacuzzi bathtub replacement commercial with the uptalking HGTV flipper host.  🤮

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

The Allegra commercial with the cranky young woman wearing headphones and singing is incredibly annoying.

Oh, I hate that one! She's so loud and aggressive about it, too.

I'm old enough that people talking or singing in public to themselves (which is how it seems when they're using bluetooth or earbuds) means 'mental illness'. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, the ad for the car (Audi, maybe?) where the mom is having the son cycle through the different headlight settings.  How in the world is that a selling point?  I just want my car to work without me doing extra homework after I buy it. 

That commercial annoys me, mostly because the mother is acting totally neurotic about her car headlights. Wouldn't they have done that for her at the dealership? 🤔

• Like 3
On 2/16/2024 at 12:31 PM, TattleTeeny said:

But it makes no sense to say that your stuff will earn you "dollar signs." It earns dollars.

It's for anything, not only high-end stuff, so it doesn't really matter what's in your closet, and you don't send it to Poshmark; you just send it to the person who buys it -- same as Ebay.

The commercials definitely give the impression that they only resell designer stuff, though.

On 2/16/2024 at 5:08 PM, chessiegal said:

Besides finding the Botox cosmetic ads ridiculous, the ones that annoy me are the ones that say "I'm still me, just with less lines." No, no, no - it's fewer lines. Most of them say that now, but there are still a few that say less instead of fewer.

I mostly annoyed by the fact that they generally don't look one damned bit different, but yeah, fewer not less, damn it.

• Like 6

I fucking hate that Pandora commercial which mangles the Bee Gees' To Love Somebody.  Changing the lyrics changes the entire meaning of an absolutely gorgeous song and to do it just to shill crappy jewelry should be a crime.  Plus, whoever the singers are, they are not good.

On 2/19/2024 at 9:16 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

I would guess anything involving the bowels might not smell so good.

The contents probably wouldn't once they hit the air, but unperforated bowels shouldn't smell bad.

57 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

That commercial annoys me, mostly because the mother is acting totally neurotic about her car headlights. Wouldn't they have done that for her at the dealership? 🤔

They have different settings and she's trying to choose one.  So no, I don't think that's something they'd have done at the dealership.  But it's still annoying to watch.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I think their “selling point” is that you can arrange the (decorative, nonfunctional) lights in your preferred pattern. Which is not something I would want to expend any of my brain cells on. 

• Like 5

If someone ever asked me what my favorite part of the Kit-Kat was as if it’s some scintillating conversation starter, I’d have to start screaming. What a stupid commercial of stupid-sounding people. 

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

If someone ever asked me what my favorite part of the Kit-Kat was as if it’s some scintillating conversation starter, I’d have to start screaming. What a stupid commercial of stupid-sounding people. 

Plus, Kit Kats are among the worst candy bars. "Ooh, vaguely chocolate flavored wax and communion wafers--yes, please!"

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
15 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

The Allegra commercial with the cranky young woman wearing headphones and singing is incredibly annoying.  Why is she so annoyed if she's taking Allegra and can breath in the spring?  It seems to be on rotation with the Jacuzzi bathtub replacement commercial with the uptalking HGTV flipper host.  🤮

I've only seen the Allegra commercial once (and couldn't remember what the ad was for, though I figured it was some type of medication just because people are always singing about that in ads), but it was incredibly annoying.

Another ad I've been lucky enough to see only once so far was for CVS Pharmacy.  I can't find the ad online (every time I search I just get results about discounts on their products), but it involves someone who just keeps singing about the pharmacy and it feels like it will never end!  I wish I could remember what I was watching when it aired so that I will know to have the mute button ready if it comes on again.

On 2/17/2024 at 11:43 AM, SG429 said:

Odd, isn't it, how many ad campaigns are built around the theme of "You Stink." Outside of folks leaving the gym, medical issues or those with just poor hygiene, most of us are pretty inoffensive, aren't we?

Honestly, I would much rather smell a little natural BO than all the chemical fragrance crap that is everywhere.  I get migraines and between all the febreeze, perfumes, and "stop stink" stuff, I can barely leave the house.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
14 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

Honestly, I would much rather smell a little natural BO than all the chemical fragrance crap that is everywhere.  I get migraines and between all the febreeze, perfumes, and "stop stink" stuff, I can barely leave the house.

I remember back in the day, Ralph Lauren Safari perfume was very popular, and some women drenched themselves in it at work.  That stuff actually made me nauseous, and I would take breaks to get some fresh air.   So yeah, I'd rather smell a little natural BO than all that stuff.

• Like 3

Ugh, White Diamonds. So cloying and so strong and so upsetting. I am sorry to insult anyone who wears or loves it -- it's tomato, tomahto and that's fine and you should love what you love; I just cannot. It does to me nose and throat what Febreze does, which is basically make them close/clog up.

• Like 3

The first time I saw Cirque du Soleil, a woman sat in front of me wearing such a strong, distinctive scent. I don't know what it was, but if I ever catch a whiff of it, I'm immediately transported back to the blue & gold striped tent, watching acrobatics.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

I hate the commercial for California with the kids running around wild and the dumb song that goes something like "Hey, hey, hey, hey! Waddle 'round the world. Hey, hey, hey, hey! Waddle 'round the world, the world, the world, the world." 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

It's probably be mentioned already, but my choice for most irritating ad has to be the one that plays over and over (...and over...and over) again during any ESPN+ broadcasts:

"Live sports

ESPN+ originals

The exclusive home of the complete 30 for 30 library

Exclusive articles and tools

Top leagues and tournaments

Best stories in sports

Only on ESPN+!!"

...complete with loud, annoying music. As soon as the game goes to commercial, I immediately hit the mute button.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:29 PM, jcbrown said:

Plus, Kit Kats are among the worst candy bars. "Ooh, vaguely chocolate flavored wax and communion wafers--yes, please!"

If you ever have the chance to eat a genuine KitKat, you should leap at the opportunity.

• Like 1