Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The Oreo thing is actually a commercial for the next season of her reality show on Hulu.  Every time I see it and she says something about how did it all start, I yell "with your trashy daughter's sex tape" at the tv.  (My neighbor must wonder what the hell is going on.)

I presume they're going skiing.  At least that's what I get from the commercial, but definitely her show.

Thanks for the information about the Hulu show. That confirmed my good decision in sticking with my cable company app, instead of getting Hulu plus because I would want local channels.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Have I mentioned how much I hate the commercials for the sports gambling sites that have become so prolific? 

And that disclaimer with contacting Gamblers Anonymous in small print at the bottom doesn't help.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
15 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

And that disclaimer with contacting Gamblers Anonymous in small print at the bottom doesn't help

on the radio it's different (since they can't do the fine print stuff). There's a radio ad for one of those, and I guess it has to give the gamblers anonymous phone number or website for every state in which they are going to run the ad. It's nuts-- the "required info" goes on longer than the ad itself with its talk of parlays and what not.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 1/21/2024 at 8:46 PM, Gharlane said:

I'm really annoyed by these commercials with a woman and her friends getting intoxicated on some alleged Marijuana product because they were always hung over after polishing off a bottle of wine.

Apparently, there's another "humorous" version in which the wife took her "horny" CBD gummies, but her husband took some "knock me out" gummies, with the predictable results. 🙄

14 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Have I mentioned how much I hate the commercials for the sports gambling sites that have become so prolific? 

And that disclaimer with contacting Gamblers Anonymous in small print at the bottom doesn't help.

The moment sports betting became legal in this state we were inundated by those loud, tacky ads. It's just another thing I'm angry at my state legislature for.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Ugh! I swear the commercial for Fage yogurt that features the famous aria "Un Bel Di, Vedremo" from "Madame Butterfly" aired at least 1400 times while I was watching reruns of "Modern Family" on the E! Channel last night. That is an absolutely beautiful piece, but hearing it so many times was overkill! 

• Like 5
8 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Ugh! I swear the commercial for Fage yogurt that features the famous aria "Un Bel Di, Vedremo" from "Madame Butterfly" aired at least 1400 times while I was watching reruns of "Modern Family" on the E! Channel last night. That is an absolutely beautiful piece, but hearing it so many times was overkill! 

True, but IMO  it's less annoying than when they had Bobby Flay shill for it!

• Like 1

Does anyone else remember Letterman's impersonation of Jerry Lewis: "Laaayyyyy-deeee" ?  For some reason, every time I see or hear Bobby Flay's name, I hear "Flaaaaayyyy" in that same manner.  I mentioned this once in a Letterman forum and I wasn't the only one. There must have been some bit Dave did using that inflection.  "Bobby FLAAAAaaaayy."

• LOL 4

Back to the new Jardiance commercial - because sadly, I am just that catty.

I have to wonder if the first actress declined to do another one. Got an opportunity to do something else? Or if the entitled, full-of-herself way she came across in interviews was the reason.  Lapping from my saucer of cream.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
(edited)
On 10/17/2018 at 10:36 AM, BigBingerBro said:

OMG I just remember another commercial that is playing in my area that just grates.   I can't recall the exact name, but it's for a CPAP cleaner and it just goes on and on with various testimonials from people that came from the back woods of the deep south.  One is a female nurse, who exclaims that she should have known better and it never dawned on her that she might be breathing in bacterial-filled gunk all night long.  Then there's another guy who pronounces "sanitized" in such a glorious way, that's really all you hear.

I've always wondered if they work. I think I'll ask in that thread.

Edited by Gharlane

I keep seeing this (quite charming, actually) ad for Vanguard. It has an Asian dad who apparently owns a restaurant, and his daughter has been helping out there since she was very young. Because he planned well with Vanguard, he can hand over the keys to the shop.

I see it approximately ever 10 minutes, which gets annoying, and while the daughter seems happy, I can't help wondering if she's actually that pleased! And she went to college and all (according to the ad)! Running a restaurant can be soul-sucking. At least that's what I hear :) 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

I have to wonder if the first actress declined to do another one. Got an opportunity to do something else? Or if the entitled, full-of-herself way she came across in interviews was the reason.  Lapping from my saucer of cream.

Interesting theory but the original ad is still being carpet bombed hour after hour

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
13 hours ago, Kemper said:

I still haven't seen the new commercial. Darn, I really want to get that old one out of rotation in my ear worm repertoire!

• Like 5

The Wells Fargo commercial with people leaving work two days early on Wednesday is back. If their leaving work two days early doesn't that means their going back to work two days early? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I still haven't seen the new commercial. Darn, I really want to get that old one out of rotation in my ear worm repertoire!

They use the same damn jingle. Just a different girl in an office setting.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
20 hours ago, Kemper said:

I have that commercial and song on auto-ignore at this point so I'm not sure if I've seen the new one or not.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I think the first one was popular; maybe people didn't like the new one?  And that is why they continue to show the original.  

Seriously, if I was prescribed Jardiance, I would check to see if there was a reliable alternative.  I hate the commercial that much.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
55 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I think the first one was popular; maybe people didn't like the new one?  And that is why they continue to show the original.  

Based on comments here, the first Jardiance was the subject of a lot of derision, so I don't think it was popular. My husband doesn't read this forum, but the first time he saw the original Jardiance ad he remarked it was ridiculous, and he rarely comments on commercials.

I'm not sure why they came out with a new one, same jingle, yet continue to show the original. When I saw the new one, I thought maybe they got complaints and decided to replace it. But that doesn't appear to be the case. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4
On 1/20/2024 at 10:48 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can't find a picture or the video but there is one for a truck where at the end they drive it and park it on the edge of a cliff. No road out there 

So first how did the truck get to that spot?  And how f***** dangerous is that?  The cliff could collapse under it.  You could drive over the edge on accident. I'm wondering if it's chi or a real shot because seems dangerous to do even for a commercial. 

I think the same thing whenever I see this commercial. I would be scared that I would drive off the edge. I assume it isn’t real but why would you suggest that people park at the edge of a cliff? 

• Like 5

awhile ago I mentioned a radio commercial I kept hearing for some injury-attorney law firm. It's a stupid jingle that mentions the firm name over and over, but it's three rather uncommon surnames, that are more or less unintelligible. Well this morning I noticed that they seem to have added an (intelligible) phone number, so I looked it up, and then was able to find a youtube where the firm is apparently proud of their stupid jingle! (and note that when this is on the radio, you don't get the helpful overlay of the firm name!)

• Like 1
On 1/22/2024 at 4:57 PM, Gharlane said:

There are two commercials with "Gronk" that run non-stop on Hulu. I swear they are the only two commercials they have so I have had to sit through them about a million times now.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

There are two commercials with "Gronk" that run non-stop on Hulu. I swear they are the only two commercials they have so I have had to sit through them about a million times now.

I saw one last night, I think, with him doing a Koola-Aide man wall smash, much to annoyance of another Jock.

• Like 1

Yes, Christina Haack, Hall, El Moussa, and the other guy, is now doing a gambling app commercial, as well as the Jacuzzi ones.   Her Valley Girl voice is so irritating. 

And Kris Jenner will be doing an Oreo commercial during the Super Bowl, which just made the game a "Must Not See" event for me. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
On 1/24/2024 at 8:57 PM, millennium said:

Did I miss something?  Shannon Klingman of Lume doing Mando?  huh?

They created the new (additional) branding of Mando because they thought the men folk wouldn't buy a deodorant being promoted by an OB/GYN.  Dr. Klingman doesn't push her specialty on the Mando ads.  Yes, they have decided men are that sensitive.  Put Mando right next to the man-sized kleenex. 

I realize I react negatively to some otherwise innocuous commercials because they include annoying children's voices.  The liberty one with the fake baby voice makes me want to Hulk smash!  That voice is beyond nails in a chalkboard. 

Then there's autozone where the supposedly adorable little girl, after hearing that the battery charge is free, asks if it's really free.  Shut the hell up, child.  Why are you questioning whether it's free?  If your mother has a question, she should ask.   i would be tempted to respond, it was free until you decided to question me as if I was lying to you.  So now, no charge for you!  

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
On 1/2/2024 at 6:31 PM, chessiegal said:

Not me! I love Flo and Jake and Dr. Rick. Their commercials make me laugh. That's always a plus in my book.

Uggghhhh.... Jake is OK, but I detest Flo (and her sister) and that smug Dr. Rick idiot!!

• Applause 2
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm a Patriots fan so I love Gronk. I can't stand the Kevin Hart Draft Kings ads. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

...they thought the men folk wouldn't buy a deodorant being promoted by an OB/GYN.  Dr. Klingman doesn't push her specialty on the Mando ads.  Yes, they have decided men are that sensitive. 

That's why we have Coke Zero.  "Diet Coke" wasn't manly enough,

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
8 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I'm a Patriots fan so I love Gronk. I can't stand the Kevin Hart Draft Kings ads. 

I like the Kevin Hart ones because I love Ryan Fitzpatrick.  It still makes me laugh the way Kevin shudders when he says "too much magic."

Speaking of Jake from State Farm, I saw a SF commercial yesterday that looked like a movie trailer with Arnold Schwarzenneger.  Has Jake (and Patrick Mahomes) been shelved?

On 1/26/2024 at 12:15 PM, Gharlane said:

I saw one last night, I think, with him doing a Koola-Aide man wall smash, much to annoyance of another Jock.

The other "jock" is John Cena. But I had to look it up. I knew he was "someone" but couldn't place him. I don't follow sports. Obviously. 

• Like 1
On 1/26/2024 at 1:37 PM, chessiegal said:

Christina is also selling some kind of device that disperses scents. She must have a helluva an agent.

I wonder if it isn't the ad agency producing these who reuse the same "actors" in ads for different products and services.  I notice the same people in widely different ads.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2024 at 8:55 AM, marceline said:

The moment sports betting became legal in this state we were inundated by those loud, tacky ads. It's just another thing I'm angry at my state legislature for.

And on the internet. I HATE seeing that garbage everywhere! 

IM NOT INTERESTED! 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Oh gawwwwd there is a new Jardiance commercial! 😱

The copy-machine guy must eat a lot of chicken! vv 😬😬

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
On 1/24/2024 at 8:57 PM, millennium said:

Did I miss something?  Shannon Klingman of Lume doing Mando?  huh?

Not only has Mando been added to their lineup, but she is rather explicit on where the guys can use it.  With as much advertising as Lume has, they are apparently selling enough to pay for all the commercials.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Oyyyyyyy, I am gonna start screaming if I have to see -- or actually, hear -- some chocolate commercial with a song that sounds like it says, "stars fuckin' up the sky, ripe old malaria." I know it doesn't say that, but it's one of those songs that is supposed to sound dreamy and melodic (or something) but just does not (to me, anyway; I feel the same way about that "Arms of an Angel" cacophonous mess).

And as for some yogurt one that posits that it's "cool" that one becomes a "human vending machine" after having children -- I am childless so don't go by me, but does not sound cool to me at all. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 5

God, I HATE the Clorox commercial with that stupid sick girl gargling into the fan! I’m enough of a germaphobe these days without gross commercials reminding me how everyone is getting sick!

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
15 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Not only has Mando been added to their lineup, but she is rather explicit on where the guys can use it.  With as much advertising as Lume has, they are apparently selling enough to pay for all the commercials.

I really didn't need to hear Dr. Shannon asking how someone's balls smell.

On 1/26/2024 at 2:22 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

And Kris Jenner will be doing an Oreo commercial during the Super Bowl, which just made the game a "Must Not See" event for me. 

Every time I hear her say "How did it all start?" I shout that it's because her skanky daughter made a sex tape.  Although that doesn't narrow it down much.

On 1/26/2024 at 3:10 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

They created the new (additional) branding of Mando because they thought the men folk wouldn't buy a deodorant being promoted by an OB/GYN.  Dr. Klingman doesn't push her specialty on the Mando ads.  Yes, they have decided men are that sensitive.  Put Mando right next to the man-sized kleenex. 

They also gave Mando more manly scents than Lume.

• LOL 9
19 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oyyyyyyy, I am gonna start screaming if I have to see -- or actually, hear -- some chocolate commercial with a song that sounds like it says, "stars fuckin' up the sky, ripe old malaria.

I literally laughed out loud at your version of the words to that awful song...I will always sing those words from now on.

• LOL 7
On 1/29/2024 at 2:13 PM, xls said:

Oh gawwwwd there is a new Jardiance commercial! 😱

The copy-machine guy must eat a lot of chicken! vv 😬😬

I have to give it to them.  They made a commercial that's even worse than the terrible, horrible commercial they made before.  This one makes the last one look like a masterpiece...of something... 

• Like 7

I think they're both awful because of that accursed earworm of a jingle but I am glad to no longer have to see the woman on the previous one with the delusions of talent (as revealed in the Washington Post piece posted here).

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And as for some yogurt one that posits that it's "cool" that one becomes a "human vending machine" after having children -- I am childless so don't go by me, but does not sound cool to me at all. 

What do you have to pay to get a baby from a "human vending machine"? 🤔

19 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

God, I HATE the Clorox commercial with that stupid sick girl gargling into the fan! I’m enough of a germaphobe these days without gross commercials reminding me how everyone is getting sick!

I hate all germophobic commercials that try to convince you that if a single bacterium is in your house, you're going to die.

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 5
  • LOL 3
On 1/26/2024 at 3:10 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Put Mando right next to the man-sized kleenex. 

I was in the toilet paper section of the supermarket yesterday and saw something that made me look twice, even though I didn't want to:  Dude Wipes.

I just can't.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1