Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I think the new Jardiance commercial is better. I haven't seen the old for a few days. Wonder if they pulled it. 

I like this one a bit better.  The delivery guy makes me chuckle.

2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

What do you have to pay to get a baby from a "human vending machine"? [thinking]

More importantly, can you put it back?  

• LOL 6

I saw a commercial yesterday for some popular deodorant (Dove?  Secret?  I didn't pay that close attention) that is for all body use, competing with Lume.  Guess the big producers are getting in on this now too.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

song that sounds like it says, "stars fuckin' up the sky, ripe old malaria."

I'm bewildered. What is the real song you're mentioning? I can't think of any that these lyrics, satiric or not, would fit. 

• Like 1

I cannot stand the Kathy Lee Gifford ad for vitamins.  She "prays" before she takes them in the morning.  It just seems (to me) gratuitous and a little craven. But I must admit the brief "scenes" from her daily life make me envious. Yes, I know it is staged.  But still.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
34 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I cannot stand the Kathy Lee Gifford ad for vitamins.  She "prays" before she takes them in the morning.  It just seems (to me) gratuitous and a little craven.

I hate her in that ad as well. And she says a lot of unverifiable stuff. I forget how she ends it, but it's something like "and your whole life will change"

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm bewildered. What is the real song you're mentioning? I can't think of any that these lyrics, satiric or not, would fit. 

It's some kind of gold-foil-wrapped chocolate in a ball shape -- I forget its name!

16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I think the new Jardiance commercial is better. I haven't seen the old for a few days. Wonder if they pulled it. 

Yes, I don't mind this new commercial.  Also, this new woman isn't nearly as annoying to me as the previous one.  

• Like 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's some kind of gold-foil-wrapped chocolate in a ball shape -- I forget its name!

Chocolate expert here!  It's Ferrero Rocher. And here is the commercial

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/tHFb/ferrero-rocher-rooftop-moments

Edited by Kimboweena
The link is important.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Oh, thank you! I don't eat much chocolate (and I get super-annoyed at the women in commercials who take the ridiculously tiny bites) and I don't think I have ever had one of these. I do recall that I kind of liked the Xmas season commercial though; it reminded me of midcentury Xmas cards for whatever random reason my brain conjured up.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

There is an local ad that gets to me.  It's for a law firm, and talks about how everyone makes mistakes.  They show the main lawyer at a coffee shop, holding a cup with "Mack" written on it.  His name is "Matt".  I yell back at my TV, what if it wasn't a mistake and Mack really wants his coffee!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 9
On 2/6/2024 at 6:58 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Now that a link has been posted, I watched the commercial, and what @TattleTeeny heard as:

sounds like it says, "stars fuckin' up the sky, ripe old malaria."

I thought was "Stars brightening up the sky, right before my very eyes".

I'm not familiar with the song, though, so I looked up the lyrics to be sure.  I was close; it's actually "The stars are flooding up the sky, right before my very eyes".

Teeny certainly wins for most creative version.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10

Do we just do TV adds here? 

Because there is a super annoying Discover card radio spot with Jennifer Coolidge she goes "Do you like asparagus and mushroom sorbet? I've got leftovers!" at the end. It's not funny; its gross.😬

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

The commerical where the mom is giving her from her husband and kids like an apple instead of chips and soccer ball instead of a video game. I'd love to see her try to make her dog and cat eat the new food she gave them. Mine only liked Purina dog/cat chow. They wouldn't eat anything else. They can hold out forever without eating. Also, why does she throw the chips? Put them in the pantry.

7 hours ago, xls said:

Do we just do TV adds here? 

Because there is a super annoying Discover card radio spot with Jennifer Coolidge she goes "Do you like asparagus and mushroom sorbet? I've got leftovers!" at the end. It's not funny; its gross.😬

I hear it all the time! I've observed that most radio commercials are just the audio portion of a television commercial. I don't think I've seen the TV version but it might not have reached our area yet.

• Like 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Haleth said:

This one doesn’t annoy or outrage me so much as it grosses me out. Bovine colostrum as a nutritional supplement?  Eww. 

I kept thinking I heard the word colostrum and kept saying I must have miss heard but nope, breast milk adjacent for adults is a thing now.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
On 2/6/2024 at 4:37 AM, tres bien said:

I actually think the new Jardience spokeswoman is more likeable than the original. However the commercial is still intolerable because of the jingle. 

To me the new commercial is tolerably better. The new spokesperson is definitely more likable and the little story lines are kind of cute. But for the love of all that is holy...get a new theme song!!

• Like 8
16 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

To me the new commercial is tolerably better. The new spokesperson is definitely more likable and the little story lines are kind of cute. But for the love of all that is holy...get a new theme song!!

Today is the first day in a while I didn't wake up with that damn jingle in my head!

• LOL 6
On 1/27/2024 at 1:31 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

That's why we have Coke Zero.  "Diet Coke" wasn't manly enough,

Actually...Zero Coke tastes good, unlike Diet Coke that has always tasted watery to me.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Actually...Zero Coke tastes good, unlike Diet Coke that has always tasted watery to me.

Now Coke is putting out Spiced Coke (apparently it tastes like raspberries, so I don't really get the spiced part).  I do like Vanilla Coke (as well as, Cream Dr Pepper).

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
On 2/6/2024 at 6:11 AM, Haleth said:

I saw a commercial yesterday for some popular deodorant (Dove?  Secret?  I didn't pay that close attention) that is for all body use, competing with Lume.  Guess the big producers are getting in on this now too.

Yes, I've seen a couple of different 'big company' ads pushing new products with 72 hour stink-freedom and all-over use. Ha, ha, Dr. Shannon! Normally I'd be rooting for the little guy/girl, but not in this case.

As long as they don't ever include a flabby blonde who likes to mime the location of her butt crack, that is. 

• Like 9
(edited)

Saw the Secret version of Lume. No over top spokesperson. But I wonder will Proctor and Gamble or one of the deodorant companies buy out Lume?

I'll kinda be pissed that Dr Lume will make a bundle 🙁

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 7
On 2/6/2024 at 3:18 PM, Crashcourse said:

Yes, I don't mind this new commercial.  Also, this new woman isn't nearly as annoying to me as the previous one.  

Maybe it's not *quite* as bad but the new lady has Joker mouth that bugs me to bits.

Not as confusing as the Commercial within a behind the scenes commercial with bad lip-syncing.  Lady Bunny is scowling somewhere.

• Like 2

Re. new Jardiance ad: it's a toss-up, for me, and they both affront me mostly because of the dancing. With the OG, I never seem to avert my eyes fast enough to avoid seeing that horrifying bump-and-grind she does. With the new one, it's those background dancers, particularly the fat little guy with a beard, who manages to strut and prance at the same time. The whole troupe comes across as high school drama club rehearsing this spring's musical. 

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2

We've got a local guy - an investment advisor - who advertises right before CBS Sunday Morning. He's so great, he's gonna give you this wonderful FREE offer - anyone who calls that has an investment portfolio of $500k or more can get a free retirement consultation.

I'm sorry, but if somebody's got half a mil, they probably already have an advisor. I find him & his free offer incredibly annoying.

• Like 5

I’ve only seen it a couple of times, but there’s a new gummy bears commercial featuring adults (football players this time) talking in “comical” exaggerated child-like voices. I’ll take the OG Jardiance ad over that one.

Further down the irritating scale but still registering, the ad for laser-cut floor mats featuring the snotty used car appraiser has returned. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

I’ve only seen it a couple of times, but there’s a new gummy bears commercial featuring adults (football players this time) talking in “comical” exaggerated child-like voices. I’ll take the OG Jardiance ad over that one.

Further down the irritating scale but still registering, the ad for laser-cut floor mats featuring the snotty used car appraiser has returned. 

That doesn't bother me as much as that damned Jardiance song (I don't care who sings it, it's annoying).

• Like 4
12 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

I’ve only seen it a couple of times, but there’s a new gummy bears commercial featuring adults (football players this time) talking in “comical” exaggerated child-like voices.

I've been waiting for someone to complain about the new Haribo gummies ad with the football players. For some reason, I find the bulky football players praising the gummies amusing.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I've been waiting for someone to complain about the new Haribo gummies ad with the football players. For some reason, I find the bulky football players praising the gummies amusing.

I haven't seen that one, and since all previous Haribo commercials with adults talking like children have practically caused full-body sprains in my lunge for the remote, I don't want to.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I haven't seen that one, and since all previous Haribo commercials with adults talking like children have practically caused full-body sprains in my lunge for the remote, I don't want to.

Saw it repeated over the weekend.  These don't bother me that much, though couldn't they come up with a new idea?

• Like 1

I dislike all of the Red Bull commercials, but the one I just saw annoyed me more than usual — it’s a guy disarming a bomb. A voice (through a headset? A phone? I don’t know) tells him it’s “usually always the blue wire.”

Usually always”?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I dislike all of the Red Bull commercials, but the one I just saw annoyed me more than usual — it’s a guy disarming a bomb. A voice (through a headset? A phone? I don’t know) tells him it’s “usually always the blue wire.”

Usually always”?

I hate that trope because, seriously, why would the bombmaker do anything to assist in it being disarmed? 🤔

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Poshmark commercial is telling me that my stuff is just "dollar signs to be made." Well, thanks, but I'd rather have the actual dollars.

Isn't that the point of the commercial? Send your "stuff" to Poshmark and they will send you the actual dollars.

I look in my closet and see stuff Poshmark wouldn't want. I have no designer clothes, shoes, or bags. No dollars in my closet! 😄 Maybe your closet looks like mine. Poshmark doesn't specify, but I'm guessing they only want high-end stuff.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
(edited)

But it makes no sense to say that your stuff will earn you "dollar signs." It earns dollars.

It's for anything, not only high-end stuff, so it doesn't really matter what's in your closet, and you don't send it to Poshmark; you just send it to the person who buys it -- same as Ebay.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I look in my closet and see stuff Poshmark wouldn't want. I have no designer clothes, shoes, or bags. No dollars in my closet! 😄 Maybe your closet looks like mine. Poshmark doesn't specify, but I'm guessing they only want high-end stuff.

Same with my closet.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Poshmark commercial is telling me that my stuff is just "dollar signs to be made." Well, thanks, but I'd rather have the actual dollars.

What irks me is the idea that you'll make money.  Aren't most of the clothes in anyone's closet clothes they have bought themselves?  Isn't it more accurate to say that selling those clothes on Poshmark is a way to recoup money you already spent, rather than actual income?

I just saw another Botox commercial ("I'm still millennium.")  Being of a certain age, I find myself laughing at these 30-year-old idiots injecting themselves with bio-toxins that have the potential to impair their neurological systems for the sake of smoothing "fine lines" that are nothing, NOTHING, compared to the skin inevitably waiting for them five or ten years down the road. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, millennium said:

What irks me is the idea that you'll make money.  Aren't most of the clothes in anyone's closet clothes they have bought themselves?  Isn't it more accurate to say that selling those clothes on Poshmark is a way to recoup money you already spent, rather than actual income?

Well, it's the same as any resale operation, garage sale, or secondhand/vintage store; a seller makes money in the sense that it's money that they wouldn't have if they hadn't sold the stuff. And there's obviously no way to determine whether someone may end up with more money than they started out with; it clearly depends on what people sell, how much they sell, and how much they sell it for (like any other kind business). So, people definitely could make money in that way as well.  

I am not sure why this is becoming so confusing, as it's no different than Ebay, but my only issue was that the commercial said "dollar signs."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1