Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, millennium said:

That's Donald Faison and Zach Braff from Scrubs.

Momoa's participation took me aback.   The other two have already done a singing T-Mobile ad, so no shock there.   Probably the highest visibility roles they've had in years.  But Momoa?  Game of Thrones, Aquaman, Dune ...  I don't get it.

I think it's hilarious.  But I also liked "Flashdance" the movie from which the song comes.

42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But I also liked "Flashdance" the movie from which the song comes.

So I was sitting in the movie theater just as Flashdance was starting (yes, this was in The Past), and Irene Cara's voice comes up slow and soulful as she starts singing the theme song, First, when there's nothing but a slow glowing dream ...  Meanwhile a couple rows behind, three teenage boys are squeezing past people, trying to get to empty seats and they're laughing and talking a little loudly as teenage boys do.  A woman in the row in front of me whirls round and loudly hisses "SHHHHHHHHH!"   One of the boys stops, looks at her for a moment, and says in an offhand way, "Oh shut up, you've heard it a hundred times on the radio."

I laughed so hard.  To this day I can still hear his voice because what he said was so plainly and undeniably true.   That song was played to death on the airwaves that summer. 

31 minutes ago, dleighg said:

shows you I don't watch much TV :) 

The only reason I know is because I hated their first T-Mobile commercial so much I had to look it up and see who those fucking idiots were. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

That Kayak ad with the little old lady who dresses up as a scarecrow, climbs up on a post, and squawks at the crows? completely creeps me out.  It’s like a scene from a low-budget horror film.

As with those godawful Lume ads, I will *sprint in from another room, just to grab the remote and change the freaking channel.

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
23 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Then I guess I misunderstood this ^ part of your post.

I could've phrased it better.  I meant it was my impression, not that I thought she literally said that.  Sorry for the confusion.

21 hours ago, Bastet said:

After extensive deliberation into which of the numerous colorful Instacart commercials plaguing my Hulu experience annoys me most, I have concluded it's this one:

I kinda liked the one with the guy and his kid at the football game, but only as a one-off.

19 hours ago, 2soon2tell said:

There’s a Maybelline ad with Mindy Kaling where some dude calls her mam, and when she asks if he calls everyone mam he says no, just people your age. It’s for makeup that is supposed to hide signs of aging. So I guess it doesn’t work. Or I’m confused. And annoyed.

When I see that commercial, all I can think is "you're in your mid-40s and look every bit of it, so yes, a guy in his 20s is gonna call you ma'am".

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
17 hours ago, voiceover said:

That Kayak ad with the little old lady who dresses up as a scarecrow, climbs up on a post, and squawks at the crows? completely creeps me out.  It’s like a scene from a low-budget horror film.

She makes me laugh, but I've only seen the commercial a couple of times and can tell it's one that will get old quickly if I see it too often.

8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I kinda liked the one with the guy and his kid at the football game

Me too, I think that one is sillier which makes me laugh.  I mean, shopping while you're trying to watch a sports game? 😄  I could see being in a nail salon, shopping on your phone while you're waiting.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2024 at 5:58 PM, dleighg said:

The TMobile ad with Dax Shephard and Jason Mamoa-- wow, I hope they were well paid for that embarrassment. 

I am beyond tired of seeing that commercial!

• Like 3
On 3/13/2024 at 8:44 AM, tres bien said:

I truly believe that the current Jardience commercial would be tolerable if they'd get a new jingle. The spokeswoman seems likable and she's not dancing around in some weird Disneyesque production 

It’s the annoying sing-song jingle and group dancing that bug me — I can’t get to the mute button fast enough.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Next on the list of commercials with pretty colors (I love yellow, purple, and green together) but awful songs:

I figured that's a real song she's singing, so I looked it up and found it:

Now, the original I kind of dig.  And I understand it being a song you want to belt out along with the singer. 

But, apparently, if I do so on Allegra, I will be oblivious to the people I almost knock over?  And why do they chose to end on a shot of her looking angry, when she's supposedly "living her greatness" because her allergies aren't bothering her?

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

This is an older one but it's still running and it still gets BIG eyerolls from me: the Moen faucet ad with the woman telling the faucet to 'fill Ruby's bottle'. I used to think this was maybe her baby's bottle, although why you'd be giving a baby tap water I don't know. But apparently it's HER bottle. This is so pretentious, lazy and just plain dumb.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I'm irritated by the Ketel One commercials.  I know they've been around for a while, but I can't stand the pretentiousness of these supposedly sophisticated people just saying things like "give me a bloody mary, with Ketel One vodka".  

At least those people know what they want and are ordering an actual drink.  I reserve most of my annoyance for the final glamorous lady who says simply "give me a cocktail [pregnant pause] with Ketel One vodka".

I think this is supposed to go along with their tagline "Made to Cocktail" with the K using the Ketel One logo.  But it makes absolutely no sense.  Nobody just goes up to a bar and says "I want a cocktail.  With Ketel One vodka".  Bartender would obviously ask what kind.

• Like 4

We are sort of on the topic, Secret 72 Hour Whole Body Deodorant ad. The girl in the beginning who says "I'll let you in on a secret. More than just my armpits stink."

I think she is hilarious. Saturday Night Live needs to hire her now. Her delivery and facial expressions are what they badly need. Heidi Gardner & Ego Nwodim can't do it all by themselves. 

• LOL 1
(edited)

This is in the wrong forum.  I thought I was in Favorite Commercials.  (I can't delete the video.)

But one that does fit this topic is for the Gametime app for buying discounted event tickets.  They had one for a while that was just a nice, straight-forward ad explaining that you could save money; but now they are not only running the one where a woman taunts a stranger about how she spent less than him, but there is a new one where a guy comments on the guy next to him buying a lot of snacks and is impressed.  Guy With Snacks then explains that he saved a lot with the Gametime app and taunts, "I guess I'm just a better fan than you."  Instead of getting angry over what a jerk this guy is, the other man is shamed and says he needs the app.  I do not find this behavior funny like the ad creators seem to think it is.  And in the unlikely event I ever get to go to another game, I'm afraid I'll get stuck with the real-life version of these people!

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added an ad that does fit the topic.
  • Sad 1

I love Dan Levy, but the commercials for homes.com with him and that annoying lady who looks like a cross between Frank Burns and Tweety Bird need to stop. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9

I was feeling blah the other night and needed to just put moving colors on my screen while I sat in front of my tv, so I tried Comcast streaming the first installment of Shogun. The first half hour was okay, but then the breaks started coming more and more often. They'd cut in before a scene was fully finished and it was very jarring. And they were very repetitive. They played the same 2 spots for Disney merchandise, back-to-back as a pair, SIX TIMES. Among the other adverts were 4 faily lengthy ones for Shogun. Yes, they were interrupting the show I was trying to watch to run commercials for the show I was trying to watch. It's been years since I tried the cable service's own streaming and I think I'm done with it. Besides, the show wasn't thrilling me even when it was on. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

I was feeling blah the other night and needed to just put moving colors on my screen while I sat in front of my tv, so I tried Comcast streaming the first installment of Shogun. The first half hour was okay, but then the breaks started coming more and more often. They'd cut in before a scene was fully finished and it was very jarring. And they were very repetitive. They played the same 2 spots for Disney merchandise, back-to-back as a pair, SIX TIMES. Among the other adverts were 4 faily lengthy ones for Shogun. Yes, they were interrupting the show I was trying to watch to run commercials for the show I was trying to watch. It's been years since I tried the cable service's own streaming and I think I'm done with it. Besides, the show wasn't thrilling me even when it was on. 

I think the show is well done, but much darker than the earlier iteration.  They give more time to the Japanese characters, so that sometimes you forget it's ostensibly about Blackthorne.

This isn't about any particular commercial. I turned to a channel to watch the last 15 minutes of a show, and was greeted with 5, count 'em 5 minutes of commercials before it got to the show. Geesh.

• Like 4
  • Angry 3
On 3/25/2024 at 5:23 AM, KWalkerInc said:

But one that does fit this topic is for the Gametime app for buying discounted event tickets.  They had one for a while that was just a nice, straight-forward ad explaining that you could save money; but now they are not only running the one where a woman taunts a stranger about how she spent less than him, but there is a new one where a guy comments on the guy next to him buying a lot of snacks and is impressed.  Guy With Snacks then explains that he saved a lot with the Gametime app and taunts, "I guess I'm just a better fan than you."  Instead of getting angry over what a jerk this guy is, the other man is shamed and says he needs the app.  I do not find this behavior funny like the ad creators seem to think it is.  And in the unlikely event I ever get to go to another game, I'm afraid I'll get stuck with the real-life version of these people!

That seems to be a common theme with those apps that give you discounts, someone humble-bragging about paying less than the person next to them at the counter.

• Like 2

does anyone else find the commercials for ELF cosmetics featuring oddly made up individuals in a Judge Judy-type courtroom weird?  They aren’t funny and all the characters seem like doll or puppet figures.  I don’t understand how they are supposed to suggest to viewers that they would WANT to be wearing these products.

• Like 8
On 3/29/2024 at 9:40 PM, InDueTime said:

There's something about these roses making out in this DoorDash ad that weirds me out for some reason:

At least now we know where little roses come from.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2024 at 1:14 PM, OldStandard said:

Does anyone else find the commercials for ELF cosmetics featuring oddly made up individuals in a Judge Judy-type courtroom weird?  They aren’t funny and all the characters seem like doll or puppet figures.  I don’t understand how they are supposed to suggest to viewers that they would WANT to be wearing these products.

I hate those commercials. I remember this ad campaign began during the Super Bowl but it totally fumbled.

• Like 3

ok, this one is not new and it has annoyed me from the start but seeing it every other commercial is bothersome

the one with the gal plugging the skin treatment that you apply and miraculously you look years younger, the bags under your eyes are gone!

some woman, annette figarello or something like that, uses it daily and so does her father.

the average people they show that have used it and they show the before and after, they look very little different to me.  especially the one old woman who looks in the mirror and can't believe it's her.  yeah, right.........

ugh

• Like 10
29 minutes ago, cinsays said:

some woman, annette figarello or something like that, uses it daily and so does her father.

And they introduce her as "a lifestyle expert". Whatever the hell that means.

• Like 3
On 3/20/2024 at 4:56 PM, Bastet said:

Next on the list of commercials with pretty colors (I love yellow, purple, and green together) but awful songs:

Now, the original I kind of dig.  And I understand it being a song you want to belt out along with the singer. 

But, apparently, if I do so on Allegra, I will be oblivious to the people I almost knock over?  And why do they chose to end on a shot of her looking angry, when she's supposedly "living her greatness" because her allergies aren't bothering her?

I came to bitch about this very commercial.   Saw it for the first time only minutes ago and I was like "WTF is this?"   Human beings have been singing from the beginning of time, but only in the 2020s has tone-deafness become acceptable and marketable.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, cinsays said:

ok, this one is not new and it has annoyed me from the start but seeing it every other commercial is bothersome

the one with the gal plugging the skin treatment that you apply and miraculously you look years younger, the bags under your eyes are gone!

the average people they show that have used it and they show the before and after, they look very little different to me.  especially the one old woman who looks in the mirror and can't believe it's her.  yeah, right.........

ugh

Is that the five-minute long one with a woman claiming her family put it under one of her father's eyes and they all stood around (allegedly) excitedly shouting out the time as it did its thing? 

4 hours ago, millennium said:

I came to bitch about this very commercial.   Saw it for the first time only minutes ago and I was like "WTF is this?"   Human beings have been singing from the beginning of time, but only in the 2020s has tone-deafness become acceptable and marketable.

I blame autotune.

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 5

Dial Exfoliating soap. The commercial shows a woman who looks like a burn victim, then her "skin" sifts away, showing her now restored face.

Ugh. It is so disturbing.

And the Dolce & Gabbana commercial with the young tan goth anorexic couple walking around in the desert, then laying on the scorching hot hood of an old car. What does any of that have to do with cologne?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

And the Dolce & Gabbana commercial with the young tan goth anorexic couple walking around in the desert, then laying on the scorching hot hood of an old car. What does any of that have to do with cologne?

Is there a cologne or perfume commercial that actually has anything to do with the product? All of them on tv are very weird in one way or another & mere mortals like you & me have no idea wtf they're on about most of the time.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
22 hours ago, cinsays said:

I think they took people who look like 30 miles of bad road, treated them with Plexaderm, and now they look like 25 miles of bad road.

9 hours ago, Gharlane said:

they all stood around (allegedly) excitedly shouting out the time as it did its thing? 

Screaming. "We were screaming!"  Well, y'know, this is the Real Deal.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
10 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Is that the five-minute long one with a woman claiming her family put it under one of her father's eyes and they all stood around (allegedly) excitedly shouting out the time as it did its thing? 

I blame autotune.

yup

21 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

I think too much when I watch that commercial, like the awful clothing I am thankfully unable to afford and the thought of laying on a car in the desert heat and dealing with the second degree burns from my shoulders to my thighs.  Those two models look miserable, so using that cologne will make me miserable? No thanks.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 3/26/2024 at 11:42 AM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

And they were very repetitive. They played the same 2 spots for Disney merchandise, back-to-back as a pair, SIX TIMES. Among the other adverts were 4 faily lengthy ones for Shogun. Yes, they were interrupting the show I was trying to watch to run commercials for the show I was trying to watch. I

That's the problem with ads on streaming platforms. There seems to be a very limited number of them so you see the same damn ads over and over again. I guess there aren't many advertisers that want to pay for streaming ads, they still prefer cable and broadcast TV. I don't know why. You can't FF thru the ads when you stream like you can if you record something on TV. 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Shrek said:

Is there a cologne or perfume commercial that actually has anything to do with the product? All of them on tv are very weird in one way or another & mere mortals like you & me have no idea wtf they're on about most of the time.

My theory is it started with Obsession and they've been trying to recreate that lightning-in-a-bottle moment ever since.

12 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

DIE BURGER KING DIE 

HIRE SOMEONE WHO CAN SING 

ENOUGH ALREADY

FUCK FUCK FUCK 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, you could be in a BK commercial with those lyrics!

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
On 3/20/2024 at 4:56 PM, Bastet said:

All of her facial expressions are irritated/angry and that makeup is...a choice.  My thoughts about Allegra after watching this makes me wonder if this is their way of incorporating a non-verbal disclaimer "Allegra may cause angry face, hostility toward others and bad makeup application".

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
On 4/2/2024 at 10:46 AM, Deskisamess said:

Every time I see that commercial, all I think is "why are they using the Modelo beer music?".

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

I just saw some laundry soap commercial that said something like “whether it’s you or your family with sensitive skin, blah blah use Whatever Detergent.” Why the hell do they feel the need to specify that? Who would think that it was only them that could use it? It’s such an unnecessary “filler” tactic that I usually only see in writing.

• Like 6

The Dolce and Gabbana commercial - is the woman one of the Jenner spawn?  I don't know them well enough to know definitively, but D&G seem to be something they'd model for.

There is a newish Sensodyne commercial with another dentist with a very annoying vocal fry.  Not the one that sounds like Christina Haack, there is a Black woman dentist in this one.  Is this something they teach in dental school?

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

The Dolce and Gabbana commercial - is the woman one of the Jenner spawn?  I don't know them well enough to know definitively, but D&G seem to be something they'd model for.

No it's not, I'm pretty sure it's just a random beautiful person type.

(edited)

The thing that bugs me most about the Jardiance commercial set in an office is the placement of the unplugged photocopier. It’s in the middle of the floor! Why not move it closer to the damn wall?!

EDIT: predictive text assumed I wanted to say "together" instead of "to the."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The thing that bugs me most about the Jardiance commercial set in an office is the placement of the unplugged photocopier. It’s in the middle of the floor! Why not move it closer together damn wall?!

Because it's always jamming or something and they always need to move it out to open the back?

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The thing that bugs me most about the Jardiance commercial set in an office is the placement of the unplugged photocopier. It’s in the middle of the floor! Why not move it closer together damn wall?!

Isn't the first rule of troubleshooting "Is it plugged in?"🤔

• LOL 11
(edited)

I guess it is -- but even so, it could be way closer to the wall! Plus, aren't most copiers made so that they can be opened from the front and/or sides to fix the jams? I work at home now, so maybe I am out of touch with copiers!

Edited by TattleTeeny
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I guess it is -- but even so, it could be way closer to the wall! Plus, aren't most copiers made so that they can be opened from the front and/or sides to fix the jams? I work at home now, so maybe I am out of touch with copiers!

Yes. So they should be against the wall. 

• Like 2