Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, SG429 said:

Who is going to gutter seminars anyway?

Leaf Filter is always present at home shows.  There are always areas set up for presentations at various times, although people generally are more interested in sitting down after walking around than in watching whatever product is being demonstrated.  I miss home shows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, janie jones said:

And that didn't come up when they agreed to go to the gutter presentation?

Maybe they were wandering around their local Home Show and she said "Hey dad, let's go see the gutter thing. I've been thinking about getting them for my house."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

All those Jake with State Farm commercials are on so often it's ridiculous, Parker with the Pizza delivery, Maya with all the piles of meat (Yuk) Daniel & the bees, all so stupid. I would definitely NOT be getting State Farm.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It isn't just cleaning the gutters.  Ice due to its weight (also freezing/thawing) can build up on gutters, ripping it off of the side of the house, and also causing water to backup under the shingles, I have seen those things happen. 

Back to the Joy Mangano face mask commercial for a minute.  I have only noticed those commercials airing in the last couple of weeks. Granted, I wasn't just sitting around wondering when she was going to show up with masks so I could complain about the commercial.  Still, if I am missing something (granted the way I post it is pretty obvious that I am missing something) I do wonder at what point those commercials started airing.  If they just started airing in March or even earlier this year, that is pretty late to be coming out with those commercials.

Maybe it's the one year anniversary of COVID-19 mask wearing reintroduction phase?  You know, we've been doing this for a year  -- here's something new!

Mileage truly  does vary. I think the State Farm commercials are funny. We've had State Farm for home and auto for over 25 years. My husband recently shopped around for insurance, and couldn't find better rates. We did, however, change to a different local agent because we were not entirely happy with the previous one. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Cryonix said:

All those Jake with State Farm commercials are on so often it's ridiculous, Parker with the Pizza delivery, Maya with all the piles of meat (Yuk) Daniel & the bees, all so stupid. I would definitely NOT be getting State Farm.

Yes, YES a thousand times YES!  I just loathe 'not Jake'.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

They said it was at the Golden Corral?  🤯

I get mailers from dubious folks offering free seminars & free lunch and they're almost always at the Golden Corral.

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I have State Farm, but it's my customer experiences with them and not their mediocre advertising that keeps me onboard. Even the Limu Emu makes for better commercials.

But Doug with his emu was also Jimmy with his mom on the phone, 'You're not helping, Ma"   That's one where the other guy in the accident sang the State Farm jingle and the adjuster appeared instantly & Jimmy had no song to sing, but his Mom stayed on hold with his insurance company. Jimmy's a dickhead.  So is Doug. I wonder if the actor is, as well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/12/2021 at 5:58 PM, SG429 said:

Who is going to gutter seminars anyway?

I assume it's people who are tired of paying or cleaning them themselves.  

16 hours ago, Cryonix said:

I always wonder about Parker the Pizza Delivery Girl getting fired for giving him all that free stuff.🤔

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/26/2021 at 10:46 AM, Ubiquit0us said:

There's a new commercial for Alexa with a weaselly father who looks like Alan Harper pretending to drop his toast so he can sneakily ask it about when Pompey was wiped out and the name of the volcano that did it, which is bad enough, but why is Alexa whispering the answers? 

This might be being anal, but would someone in 74 A.D. say that's the year? I thought that practice didn't start until the Middle Ages.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Ubiquit0us said:

This might be being anal, but would someone in 74 A.D. say that's the year? I thought that practice didn't start until the Middle Ages.

Of course they wouldn't.  I guess I thought that was part of the... joke?  cleverness?  poor attempt at humor?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I assume it's people who are tired of paying or cleaning them themselves.  

I always wonder about Parker the Pizza Delivery Girl getting fired for giving him all that free stuff.🤔

She should be fired for stalking and using the company database to learn of Jake's address.  Unless she's delivered to him before and just has a crush on him ... nah.  Unless Parker paid for it out of her own pocket from her Parker Promo savings, which would be idiotic, she should be fired for handing out free food and stalking, and depleting the pizzeria's supply of Ranch dressing!

• Love 2

Zales Jewelry has an ad out now that advertises their virtual consultation services.  That's right, instead of going in to the store, you stay safe in your own home with a jewelry store rep on your video screen.  What I don't like is the guy who looks rough and scruffy and he's apparently contemplating a gift for his girlfriend while pacing around in his kitchen.  Ribs and rubies, he says.  The female jewelry store rep corrects him and says, "Pears and diamonds are more her style" while displaying a pear-shaped diamond necklace.  Of course, pushing the diamonds.  I hate this commercial and am so tired of seeing it!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

She should be fired for stalking and using the company database to learn of Jake's address. 

I assumed Jake was her local; State Farm agent. How could a delivery person use State Farm's database?

These commercials remind me of my husband working an ice cream truck one summer - for a few days, because he got fired for giving the ice cream away!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I assumed Jake was her local; State Farm agent. How could a delivery person use State Farm's database?

These commercials remind me of my husband working an ice cream truck one summer - for a few days, because he got fired for giving the ice cream away!

You married Wally Cleaver? Cool!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

She should be fired for stalking and using the company database to learn of Jake's address.  Unless she's delivered to him before and just has a crush on him ... nah.  Unless Parker paid for it out of her own pocket from her Parker Promo savings, which would be idiotic, she should be fired for handing out free food and stalking, and depleting the pizzeria's supply of Ranch dressing!

I thought he actually ordered pizza. She just gave him the freebies. So, yes on the stealing, no on the stalking.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought he actually ordered pizza.

No, the first thing he says is that he didn't order any pizza.

I just figure he's a customer she's delivered to before, he handled setting up her insurance policy, she thinks he gave her a special deal, and to thank him she brought him a whole bunch of the stuff he usually orders.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

If someone brings me a gallon of ranch dressing I'm calling the authorities to put them on 72-hour psychiatric hold.

Luckily, State Farm offers hospitalization insurance!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1

All of the State Farm Jake worshippers are twits.  They don't have enough intelligence to realize they're paying rack rates and that Jake isn't hooking them up on the DL.  I'm still waiting for the commercial where he finds the neighborhood cougar in his living room wearing her sheer nightie waiting to "thank him for her great deal". 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Zales Jewelry has an ad out now that advertises their virtual consultation services.  That's right, instead of going in to the store, you stay safe in your own home with a jewelry store rep on your video screen.  What I don't like is the guy who looks rough and scruffy and he's apparently contemplating a gift for his girlfriend while pacing around in his kitchen.  Ribs and rubies, he says.  The female jewelry store rep corrects him and says, "Pears and diamonds are more her style" while displaying a pear-shaped diamond necklace.  Of course, pushing the diamonds.  I hate this commercial and am so tired of seeing it!

I haven't seen this one. Which I'm ok with. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Parker didn't use State Farm's database; she used Pizza Giveaway Pizzeria's database to find out where Jake, her Parker Promo-giving State Farm agent, lived, so she could deliver the freebies in thanks and gratitude.  Unless she signed up for State Farm insurance at a private meeting at Jake's house, which I seriously doubt; she wouldn't know what Jake's home address is.

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

If someone brings me a gallon of ranch dressing I'm calling the authorities to put them on 72-hour psychiatric hold.

Luckily, State Farm offers hospitalization insurance!

Hopefully Jake gave Parker a freebie of his own:  A complimentary month of paid psychiatric evaluation and treatment with State Farm's health (?) insurance.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

All of the State Farm Jake worshippers are twits.  They don't have enough intelligence to realize they're paying rack rates and that Jake isn't hooking them up on the DL.  I'm still waiting for the commercial where he finds the neighborhood cougar in his living room wearing her sheer nightie waiting to "thank him for her great deal". 

Agree on the JFSF worshipers being twits.  Makes me wonder what Jake IS giving them on the DL.  I think Maya at the butcher shop wants some of Jake's meat!  Parker wouldn't be interested unless she's bi on the DL and plays for both teams.  Let's not even think about Honeybee Boy and Camper Joe.

1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

I haven't seen this one. Which I'm ok with. 

You're lucky.  If you ever do see it, pay attention to the weird way the Zales Lady delivers her lines.

• Love 3

I hate the commercial -- maybe it's for American Family Insurance -- with the guy tickling his daughter. I hate tickling in general, and the kid has an obnoxious laugh.

21 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

If I'm looking to buy a product and I'm telling the employee, a complete stranger, what the recipient's tastes are, it is not appropriate for that complete stranger to then correct me and tell me what the person they've never met would prefer.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 9

I can’t stand the Carrie Underwood commercial where she says it’s important to put herself first.  Everything in that ad brags about how she needs to think about herself.  All I could hear was a narcissist person.  And, it took me a few times to realize she was shilling a line of workout wear.  And even more concerning, I had no idea who she was.  She looks nothing like she used to, and now I’m beginning to realize that her story of falling down a couple of steps could really be a cover up for a lot of plastic surgery.  I just saw a photo of her in a magazine and it looks nothing like her.  Maybe her story now will be that her face looks different because of the workout wear she sells. 

• Love 3
On 3/13/2021 at 6:58 PM, Cryonix said:

What bothers me is that he appears to accept the gifts. I'd bet that State Farm  has a corporate policy about not accepting gifts from vendors and customers. 

In the State Farm commercial with the stand-ins that shows Jake in a snug red shirt, is Jake really that jacked? He looks swole, bro.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

What bothers me is that he appears to accept the gifts. I'd bet that State Farm  has a corporate policy about not accepting gifts from vendors and customers. 

In the State Farm commercial with the stand-ins that shows Jake in a snug red shirt, is Jake really that jacked? He looks stole, bro.

It's a fine line and a slippery slope, to be sure.  Jake should be fired, not Parker!

The stand-ins featuring Drake version?  I never really noticed any jackness in Jake.  Too busy lookin' at Drake!

19 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

The latest Wendy's commercial is annoying, because that tune is stuck in my head!  "Bag alert, major ba-a-ag alert."

I just came here to post about that one.  God, is that ANNOYING!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

In the State Farm commercial with the stand-ins that shows Jake in a snug red shirt, is Jake really that jacked? He looks stole, bro.

Yeah. IIRC, when they would show Jake with QBs Aaron Rogers and Patrick Mahomes during football games, Jake was looking buff.

• Love 5

The newest insurance commercial is now in my top 5 of most hated.  A man has a food cart and a customer comes up and asked for a hot dog, the owner pulls a small stuffed bear out of the gross water and slops it on a paper plate.  Seeing that dirty wet bear was really gross.  When the man walks away the man pulls out another bear and starts yelling about more bears to eat.  Just nasty and makes no sense to sell insurance. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

The new Publix commercial where the woman is giving etiquette tips when dining is now #1 on my list of most annoying commercials.  It goes on forever, one minute, and they play it all the time on my local channels.  The thing that really puzzles me about it is, the closest Publix store is over 30 miles away from me!  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, janie jones said:

I hate the commercial -- maybe it's for American Family Insurance -- with the guy tickling his daughter. I hate tickling in general, and the kid has an obnoxious laugh.

I was just coming on here to complain about that! The shrieking hurts my ears.

• Love 5

I keep seeing the Duracell commercial where they use extra-powerful batteries to beat the "show-off" neighbor in a remote control car race.  That's fine, but I don't like the part where a woman (maybe the winner's wife) celebrates by slamming a blue-ribbon winning pie to the ground.  Why waste perfectly good pie?

Also, a commercial I never hope to see again is the one for Burger King's Sourdough King where they are blindfolding customers and having them "squeeze the King's buns."  (There's also an adjective about the buns which made it worse, but I've managed to block it out.)  I actually do eat fast food, but it seems like some of the commercials lately are deliberately trying to drive their customers away.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

A man has a food cart and a customer comes up and asked for a hot dog, the owner pulls a small stuffed bear out of the gross water and slops it on a paper plate.  Seeing that dirty wet bear was really gross.  When the man walks away the man pulls out another bear and starts yelling about more bears to eat.  Just nasty and makes no sense to sell insurance. 

I've always been in the next room when this one has come on, so I haven't really seen it in full. What IS the point? Is it that if you want a hot dog you don't want a yucky teddy bear and shouldn't have to pay for it?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I've always been in the next room when this one has come on, so I haven't really seen it in full. What IS the point? Is it that if you want a hot dog you don't want a yucky teddy bear and shouldn't have to pay for it?

Bingo!

• Love 4

I can’t stand the Carrie Underwood commercial where she says it’s important to put herself first.  Everything in that ad brags about how she needs to think about herself.  All I could hear was a narcissist person.  And, it took me a few times to realize she was shilling a line of workout wear.  And even more concerning, I had no idea who she was.  She looks nothing like she used to, and now I’m beginning to realize that her story of falling down a couple of steps could really be a cover up for a lot of plastic surgery.  I just saw a photo of her in a magazine and it looks nothing like her.  Maybe her story now will be that her face looks different because of the workout wear she sells. 

I can't figure out whose workout is more obnoxious -- hers or Jennifer Anniston's.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

My great niece was visiting——she’s only 4 years old and LOVES stuffed bears.  She always has one with her.  When she saw the commercial she became very upset and wondered why “the mean man was killing her bears”.  It’s just a terrible commercial. 

I can't stand the Carrie Underwood workout.   So she doesn't have a special exercise room in her house, fully equipped, but has to use the kid's playset?      Since she looks the same before and after her 'workout', I find that funny.    At least Jennifer A. looks like she actually exerted herself. 

• Love 8