Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 4/5/2021 at 5:08 PM, TattleTeeny said:

The way the "sorry not sorry" Reese's narrator pronounces "peanut butter" gets on my nerves (as does mostly anything else he says) -- "peenit BUHtter."

That’s Will Arnett; AKA Gob Bluth on “Arrested Development,” Bojack Horseman, Lego Movie Batman among others.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/6/2021 at 12:53 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I hate all Peloton commercials, and hate this one too because apparently they didn't learn from the recent child death:  Children and pets should be kept away from the equipment!

There were an estimated 22,500 treadmill-related injuries treated at US emergency departments among all ages, including around 2,000 involving children under the age of eight, according to the consumer product safety commission.

Between 2018 and 2020, it received reports of 17 deaths related to the use of a treadmill, including one involving a 5-year-old.  BBC

More good excuses reasons for me not to buy expensive equipment or go to the gym.

• Love 5
On 3/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, Browncoat said:

It probably is trying to go back to the days (the 70s?  80s?) when bras were referred to as "over the shoulder boulder holders".  I haven't heard the phrase in years and years.

Just like Over the butt nut huts for men lol

• LOL 4
On 4/6/2021 at 7:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate the Folger's coffee commercial with the woman on the Zoom meeting, and her kid is pushing into the picture.     

This commercial didn't bother me at first but it gets more annoying every time I see it. Her dancing around to block the kid would be more distracting than the kid popping into frame. If I were leading that meeting, I'd tell her to take a few minutes to "get situated."

I saw this commercial this morning, and I noticed for the first time that one of the participants isn't even paying attention; he's on his phone.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, smittykins said:

My late husband had a Soloflex(remember them?)that I never saw him use in the ten years we were together.  It ended up being a combination clothes rack/cat perch.

I still have my Soloflex that I bought in the 80s.   Even though I still use some parts of it for exercise, it's a great clothes rack.

• Love 3
On 3/30/2021 at 6:36 AM, dleighg said:

yeah I've spent the last year transitioning from all wired bras to all wireless bras. I just needed to find ones that were supportive enough, but once I did, there's no going back. 

Please tell me the name of one wireless bra.  I hate bras.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Please tell me the name of one wireless bra.  I hate bras

I've been pretty happy with this one (got it at Kohls) Bali® Comfort Revolution Smart Sizes Shaping Wire-Free Bra

I also got one from HoneyLove (V-Neck Bra) you step into it and pull up, and it works well also. These are two that don't have the "roll-up" issue that some of the others I've tried have. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I see my decision to leave my treadmill unused in the corner was a wise one!

Apparently if you don't have closet space they work well for hanging your clothes.

• LOL 1
15 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I've been pretty happy with this one (got it at Kohls) Bali® Comfort Revolution Smart Sizes Shaping Wire-Free Bra

I also got one from HoneyLove (V-Neck Bra) you step into it and pull up, and it works well also. These are two that don't have the "roll-up" issue that some of the others I've tried have. 

Thanks .. I love Kohl’s and can order on line.

• Love 1

Before anyone comes at me, lol, I am a special education teacher who has many kids with Autism on her caseload, and they are my peeps.  The commercial via Sesame Street with Julia?  The character with autism?  BUGS ME.  First off, kudos to you for normalizing autism.  But for all that is good and holy, kids with autism (unless it is really severe) can speak in more fluid sentences that "Music loud."  "Play band!"   How about "Gee will it be loud?  Can I get my headphones?"  

Thank you.

On 4/6/2021 at 9:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate the Folger's coffee commercial with the woman on the Zoom meeting, and her kid is pushing into the picture.     

Me too.  There are some people who find him funny and as a parent myself (my kids are too old for that, lol) I would have been like "GO AWAY NOW OR YOU WILL NEVER SEE YOUR XBOX AGAIN.  I AM AT WORK."  And as an employee, lady, your kid should not be listening to what may be confidential stuff.

• Love 9
(edited)

And can the peleton teacher see you? I mean, she probably has a hundred or a thousand riding at one time right? 

I wonder this too! And I also can't decide if it annoys me that the instructor calls the class "Peloton"--as an employee, wouldn't she "be" Peloton more so than the class is? I guess if I don't know if it annoys me, then maybe it doesn't.

No one loves a treadmill? I had to get rid of my old one to use the space for a desk. I missed it so I bought a newer, smaller one that can be stashed under a bed or standing up on its end in a closet--or in my case the laundry "room" in the hall (pretty much just a larger closet with a washer/dryer in it). It's a pain taking it out and putting it back every day, and having it kind of hog up a small section of the hallway, but I love taking periodic 10-minute breaks to get up and walk a mile! Plus, yikes--I apparently need something to remind or impel me to take a break when I work from home. It's weird.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Isn't peloton what the mass of riders on the Tour de France, and other races is called?   The spelling may be off, but I thought that's why they called them that, since they're a big group.    

Yes. And the spelling is the same.

pel·o·ton

/ˈpeləˌtän/

noun

the main field or group of cyclists in a race.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 3/29/2021 at 8:16 PM, Scout Finch said:

From the side, the animated hood ornament in the Allstate commercial resembles the gremlin on John Lithgow's plane wing. I half expect it to lean forward and jam a finger into the front grill.

That thing creeps me out, too. I'm not sure why, but I get anxiety every time I see it.

• Love 6
On 3/31/2021 at 3:57 AM, friendperidot said:

somewhere in one of these threads, probably this one, someone mentioned how annoying the Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Cheetos commercial was. I hadn't seen, but something I was watching recently had the ad on several times. Holy Cow! You'd think that someone who makes the kind of money he does, he could afford a singing coach. He's really and truly annoying.

I’ve seen two versions. One has Ashton singing and other has Shaggy singing. Don’t understand why they would air Ashton singing at all since he sounds awful! Plus Shaggy is the original singer of this song and is much better.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Before anyone comes at me, lol, I am a special education teacher who has many kids with Autism on her caseload, and they are my peeps.  The commercial via Sesame Street with Julia?  The character with autism?  BUGS ME.  First off, kudos to you for normalizing autism.  But for all that is good and holy, kids with autism (unless it is really severe) can speak in more fluid sentences that "Music loud."  "Play band!"   How about "Gee will it be loud?  Can I get my headphones?"  

Thank you.

Me too.  There are some people who find him funny and as a parent myself (my kids are too old for that, lol) I would have been like "GO AWAY NOW OR YOU WILL NEVER SEE YOUR XBOX AGAIN.  I AM AT WORK."  And as an employee, lady, your kid should not be listening to what may be confidential stuff.

I think Julia is adorable she's supposed to be in preschool so she doesn't have good communication skill yet.

6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

The kid upstairs from me is autistic. He was watching a Star Wars DVD. His mom was sitting next to him and she asked him for the remote. He said to her, "Use the Force" and then laughed uproariously.  He's a pre-teen.

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't even know what they're advertising but the one with "the strongest man in the world" gets on my last nerve. Instant channel change.

GEICO, of course.

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

No one loves a treadmill?

I wish I had room for one. I don't even have room for the cats to have one. (It's a 4' hamster wheel for cats)

• LOL 2
On 4/6/2021 at 9:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I would be sorely tempted to give my kid an elbow for that.  But she should probably say "I'll be right back" and get the child interested in something else.

• Love 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, Leeds said:
On 4/6/2021 at 2:53 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I hate all Peloton commercials, and hate this one too because apparently they didn't learn from the recent child death:  Children and pets should be kept away from the equipment!

There were an estimated 22,500 treadmill-related injuries treated at US emergency departments among all ages,

I've been one. Since it's a topic for Small Talk, if anyone is interested and I don't expect it, I'll go there if requested.

Edited to add my take on the stupid Pelotan ads. I assumed (I know) that everyone taking the class with the instructors suddenly and inexplicably changed their name to Pelotan so the instructor wouldn't have to exercise their brains too much.

Edited by friendperidot
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

If my mother had ever had to chase me around the house trying to get me to eat just one more bite, it would NOT have ended with us back at the table and her smiling as I ate the macaroni and cheese that she definitely would not have indulged my ungrateful ass with after she'd had a long day at work and had already made one dinner.

If my mom had ever chased me around the house over a bite of food, I hope my dad would have steered her toward the psychological help she needed and stepped up to shoulder his share of the parenting load he was clearly neglecting if she was losing her shit over a single bite.

Some of those Kraft commercials feature bratty kids, but in that one it's the mother I think has lost her damn mind.  The kid didn't refuse to eat her vegetables, she just ate one bite less than what Mom wanted, declared she was no longer hungry, and got chased around the house by a lunatic with a loaded fork.

If she really is full, get over it.  If she consistently claims to be full one bite shy of what you want her to eat as a means of asserting some control over her life, be the adult and outsmart her by putting one more portion than you want her to eat on her plate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Isn't peloton what the mass of riders on the Tour de France, and other races is called? 

Yep, and I didn't know that until the Peloton bike craze put this overpriced machinery on my TV and subsequent discussion let me in on the meaning of its name, but knowing what a group of bike riders is called meant getting a recent Jeopardy! clue, so the influx of commercials isn't completely useless.  Annoying as hell, but not completely useless.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

1. I had a single mom so sharing the load wasn't an option. I ate what she made and if I refused to eat it, after stubbornly sitting at the table for a long while I would be sent to bed. She wasn't about to go make me something else that I wanted to eat, especially not overly-processed foods! (My mom was a pot-smoking hippy, although she raised me with much more traditional and firm boundaries. At age 13, my hippy uncle, who is getting high with his 13- and 10-year-old sons, calls me a "square" when I turn down a joint!)

2. The kid in the commercial isn't too full for a big bowl of macaroni and cheese, just for the vegetable(s) before that, apparently.

Does anyone have the Pro-Forma bike? It's $39 a month, which is for a three-year iFit membership and the bike is free. I saw some good reviews scattered around on a few sites but then on a consumer affairs complaint site there were a ton of negative ones and only one positive one. Not that I really have a place to put one but it would be awesome to "bike" down all the virtual trails. I can't always hike and there's nowhere really to walk around right in my neighborhood. 

12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

No one loves a treadmill?

Can't say I love it but I use it during cold months.  Happily I folded it up last week because it's warm enough to run outside now.

10 hours ago, madmax said:

The TurboTax "Free" commercials are REALLY getting on my nerves.  Especially the exercise one.

And with the extension of tax day to May 17th this year we get to watch the commercials for a whole extra month!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I think Julia is adorable she's supposed to be in preschool so she doesn't have good communication skill yet.

10 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I believe the character is supposed to be about 3 years old.

I think she is adorable too!  It is not about her, I wish she could be more versed.  Because even three year olds can be more verbal - most of time.  My issue is not with Julia, it is the people who wrote the ad.   Age her a bit so she is more verbal.

10 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

If my mother had ever had to chase me around the house trying to get me to eat just one more bite, it would NOT have ended with us back at the table and her smiling as I ate the macaroni and cheese that she definitely would not have indulged my ungrateful ass with after she'd had a long day at work and had already made one dinner.

I assumed that the kid was eating the mac & cheese the next day, after mom decided that was the way to get her to eat.  Although honestly, I hadn't really thought about it that much.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I assumed that the kid was eating the mac & cheese the next day, after mom decided that was the way to get her to eat.  Although honestly, I hadn't really thought about it that much.

That might be the situation. I was just speaking to the overall tone of these commercials where if they don't want what you made for dinner, just give up.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

The kid in the commercial isn't too full for a big bowl of macaroni and cheese, just for the vegetable(s) before that, apparently.

That's not the same meal (everyone is in different clothes).

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
Just now, Bastet said:

That's not the same meal (everyone is in different clothes).

I never noticed that. I too was irritated that the kid seemed to have gotten away with making mom make a new meal. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I just let my cat go on mine at .25 mph--he stepped up as I was lowering the speed to hit the "off" button. He was apprehensive, but noticeably intrigued. This will not be a regular occurrence (I would never put him in danger). He looked all snooty and fancy as he strode along (I'm sure that fellow cat parents know that look).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2

The California Psychics commercial:

Every time that guy says, "I've always had a passion for fitness, and she saw me owning my own yoga studio," I want to shake him and scream, "She's just telling you what you want to hear! Do you think she really 'saw' anything other than dollar signs for keeping you on the phone?"  

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

The California Psychics commercial:

Every time that guy says, "I've always had a passion for fitness, and she saw me owning my own yoga studio," I want to shake him and scream, "She's just telling you what you want to hear! Do you think she really 'saw' anything other than dollar signs for keeping you on the phone?"  

It's crazy. "It's like she knew everything about me!" No shit, as soon as you gave your credit card number they went on your Facebook page. Idiots.

• LOL 13
  • Love 4

Is California Psychics the one where they have people who don't believe in psychics getting readings? There's one person who says it's the best psychic reading she's ever gotten. So either it's the only reading you've ever gotten, or you've believe in them enough to have had multiple readings.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just let my cat go on mine at .25 mph--he stepped up as I was lowering the speed to hit the "off" button. He was apprehensive, but noticeably intrigued. This will not be a regular occurrence (I would never put him in danger). He looked all snooty and fancy as he strode along (I'm sure that fellow cat parents know that look).

Do you have video you can share?

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't! I regret that, but even at only .25 mph, I didn't want to take my eyes off him. I was delighted and entertained, but also thinking, "is my baby safe?!" Meanwhile, the delicate baby just ran as fast as he could down the hall and skidded into the bathroom, where he slid across the floor on a rug and barreled into the trash can.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 16
  • Love 2

I only recently noticed the last thing he slaps is the G off GEICO.  What a dickhead.  Although, he has an interesting finger waggle. Usually the entire forearm is involved.

I didn't know how to respond to FriendPeridot's post - sad that she was hurt exercising or laughing at her theory of Peloton names.

As for the "one more bite" - if Mom realizes the kid wants some control (and, really, is ONE more bite that important?)  the problem can be solved by Rock, Paper, Scissors. Loser eats the one more bite, even it it's Mom.

• Love 4

I cannot believe how often the Peleton ads are playing now and that music is driving me nuts.  I hit mute the minute the ad starts now and I don’t have anything against Peleton.  They just play way.too.often.

The ad I currently hate is the Xfinity ad with the woman lounging in a chair while her friends are moving her furniture.  Amy Pohler asks what she’s been doing and the woman says meekly “delegating”.  What in the world?  What a horrible human.  I have an irrational loathing for the woman in the chair!  Bad ad, Xfinity.

• Love 6
On 4/8/2021 at 11:20 PM, Brattinella said:

I would be sorely tempted to give my kid an elbow for that.  But she should probably say "I'll be right back" and get the child interested in something else.

Hasn't anyone ever heard of a door lock?  Like the official in England who's 2 kids barged in. Oh so cute. Ok well it was but still, chain lock, dude!  Couple bucks.  Blah

• Love 5