Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

Having to opt out of sharing results is not protecting privacy.

You don't have to "opt out" of sharing your results.  The default is privacy.  You actually have to "opt in" to share them.

Some DNA services go so far as to assign your results a number which is never associated with your name or identifying information in their databases.  In order to see them you have to look it up by number.  You can save and/or print them out and delete them from the site at any time.  If you're that worried there are ways to sign up and pay for it anonymously too.  It's really not that hard to remain anonymous if you know how to do it.  If you don't know anything about your family's medical conditions it might be a good idea to find out about your potential medical risks. 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

And something else that somewhat has somewhat infuriated me about it, it gobbled up the Ellis Island website in which one could put one's ancestors' name, country of origin,etc. and not only would all the info they had pop out but they'd often reproduce pictures of the very boat said  ancestors had arrived from abroad to NYC- for FREE. Well Ancestry.Com couldn't leave that alone, they gobbled it up so now one is compelled to SUBSCRIBE to their website to view all that!BOOO!!!!

That's not what I know.  FamilySearch.org still has a free searchable Ellis Island database as does the original Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Foundation website, both of which require you to sign up for an account, but searching and viewing records is free.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

However the diet itself is not looked on by experts as having any basis in science in terms of what food it actually makes you eat.  It's just a very calorie restricted diet and any drastically calorie restricted diet will make anyone lose weight.

Thank you so much for that info on Golo. I was actually thinking about ordering it. I always try to do the typical "user reviews" but I find that no matter what the product might be, the reviews are all over the chart. However, I'm not buying it.

Moving on to something I'm sure has been mentioned before but it's the Jennifer Aniston commercial for, well, I'm not sure what she's pimping (Aveeno lotion?). She's on the Peleton (?) cycling, then she's sweating on a treadmill, then she's doing hard core yoga. Then she's winking at us but it's not really a wink. It's more like she has Malibu Beach sand in her eye. Anyway, I could really do without seeing her again. Ever. If I had gym/exercise equipment in my home, I could lose weight too. Unfortunately the closest 24 hour fitness to me closed for good last year. And I'm not a big fan of going out in public to exercise. So thanks Miss Perfect for making me feel sadder and more depressed about myself. Whatever it is you're selling, I'm not buying it.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

You don't have to "opt out" of sharing your results.  The default is privacy.  You actually have to "opt in" to share them.

Some DNA services go so far as to assign your results a number which is never associated with your name or identifying information in their databases.  In order to see them you have to look it up by number.  You can save and/or print them out and delete them from the site at any time.  If you're that worried there are ways to sign up and pay for it anonymously too.  It's really not that hard to remain anonymous if you know how to do it.  If you don't know anything about your family's medical conditions it might be a good idea to find out about your potential medical risks. 

I have taken the Ancestry DNA test and I'll not the least bit worried about my privacy.  I am satisfied with Ancestry's handling of the information and I am so grateful to have the information the test provided. I don't have ancestor worship;  on the genealogy shows there are frequently idiots who connect all their wonderful attributes to their ggggg-grandparents. Morons!  However, I do want to know where I come from, geographically and genetically and I want these common people to not be forgotten.

• Love 8
(edited)

Ancestry used to run an ad with a woman holding a portrait of George Washington and she claims he's her cousin.  Really? Were there no ancestors that would keep talking about George Washington because,  come on, this is big stuff. Did it just fade away over the centuries? But George and Marha Washington didn't have kids so I guess being a cousin got pretty diluted by the 21st century. 

I don't have ancestors that came to America before 1900 but I always wish I did.

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 2

My problem with the 3 Emgality commercials that are out there.  Two depict mothers whose headache may be too severe to play with their children and the other is a woman who closes her laptop (I'm just going to go and assume she works from home) in order to enjoy movie night on the couch with her man.  Okay - all individuals who are either SAHMs or WAH individuals who have control over their surroundings and can lay down, rest, etc. when they want.

Show me someone who has to get up everyday and schlep 30-45 minutes to and from a job everyday who can't just call in every time their migraine flares up.  Not everyone can relate to a SAHM whose head hurts too much to plays princess & dragons with their daughter and can send her off to play on her own so mommy can rest.  I work with numbers all day long.  By days end my eyes and temples sometimes throb and have to pop a couple of migraine tablets just to push through the rest of the day.  I can't rest or take a nap.  Show me THAT person in an Emgality ad

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, tres bien said:

My #1 annoyance with Ancestry is that I think most people have very regular unremarkable ancestors that came to America (unless you're Native American) for a better life for one reason or another. 

If someone finds someone in their family tree that is remarkable or had an extraordinary life, why was this not passed on thru the generations? 

They used to run an ad with a woman holding a portrait of George Washington and she claims he's her cousin.  Really? Were there no ancestors that woul keep talking about George Washington because,  come on, this is big stuff. Did it just fade away over the centuries? 

I guess that's what happens. 

I had some extraordinary ancestors - Revolutionary war heroes, founders of cities and towns in New England, Mayflower passengers, etc.  I never knew this growing up because my grandmother died at 52 before I was born and her ancestors left her nothing but legends and a family bible with a few names but no life stories.  I grew up thinking some of the amazing stuff she told my father sounded like fairy tales.  No way could we be related to Ethan Allen!  By the time the history is passed down a few generations, unless you come from money and can pay people do your genealogy for you it's like the old kid's game of telephone - it might not be 100% true or embellished along the way.  So it's very easy for this stuff not to be passed down. People die or their relatives didn't write down the history.  After that many generations things get lost or passed down wrong.  Just like that commercial where the guy says he was brought up to think he was German only to find out he was Irish or Scottish and he had to trade in his lederhosen for a kilt, LOL.

Also, if you're a cousin of George Washington that was so many generations ago that even if it was 1st cousin it would be at least 8 generations ago, and whose family would know about that?  Usually they would barely know or even care who they're descended from past a couple of generations unless again they came from money and it was all written and passed down, usually to establish their place in the 'upper class".

Interestingly, thanks to Ancestry.com I was able to find a genealogy book of a major family in my tree that actually listed my great grandparents.  I doubt they ever knew they were in this book as it was written in the 1940s after they already passed away.  It was written by a distant cousin that had money and could afford to dabble in research.  Back then it was much harder to come by this information.  This relative actually did the work himself, going to records halls to find these people.  Of course he was independently wealthy and it gave him something meaningful to do.  Fortunately I was able to find all this out when my father was still alive. We were amazed to find out that most of what his mother told him was true and then some.  It was a mystery that bugged us all our lives and thanks to Ancestry.com I solved it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I had some extraordinary ancestors - Revolutionary war heroes, founders of cities and towns in New England, Mayflower passengers, etc.  I never knew this growing up because my grandmother died at 52 before I was born and her ancestors left her nothing but legends and a family bible with a few names but no life stories.  I grew up thinking some of the amazing stuff she told my father sounded like fairy tales.  No way could we be related to Ethan Allen!  By the time the history is passed down a few generations, unless you come from money and can pay people do your genealogy for you it's like the old kid's game of telephone - it might not be 100% true or embellished along the way.  So it's very easy for this stuff not to be passed down. People die or their relatives didn't write down the history.  After that many generations things get lost or passed down wrong.  Just like that commercial where the guy says he was brought up to think he was German only to find out he was Irish or Scottish and he had to trade in his lederhosen for a kilt, LOL.

Also, if you're a cousin of George Washington that was so many generations ago that even if it was 1st cousin it would be at least 8 generations ago, and whose family would know about that?  Usually they would barely know or even care who they're descended from past a couple of generations unless again they came from money and it was all written and passed down, usually to establish their place in the 'upper class".

Interestingly, thanks to Ancestry.com I was able to find a genealogy book of a major family in my tree that actually listed my great grandparents.  I doubt they ever knew they were in this book as it was written in the 1940s after they already passed away.  It was written by a distant cousin that had money and could afford to dabble in research.  Back then it was much harder to come by this information.  This relative actually did the work himself, going to records halls to find these people.  Of course he was independently wealthy and it gave him something meaningful to do.  Fortunately I was able to find all this out when my father was still alive. We were amazed to find out that most of what his mother told him was true and then some.  It was a mystery that bugged us all our lives and thanks to Ancestry.com I solved it.

One of my ancestors was Joel Ferree. He had a gun shop and made weapons for the Revolutionary War. I have copies of letters to him from the First Continental Congress asking him to please triple his production. He instituted what would later be called the assembly line.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

His real name is Ferry.  He changed his name and faked the pronunciation.

The family name was Fieri. When G'pa immigrated, he anglicized the name to Ferry. Guy's just going back to his roots. And the pronunciation is more than likely the original Italian.  That said, I still can't stand the dude.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Those Liberty Mutual commercials just keep getting worse and worse.  I keep seeing the ones with a dude in a smart phone costume.  Not a fan.

The last one was even more stupid.  A vendor selling Wet Teddy Bears instead of hot dogs.  WTF is the point of that?

• Love 4

Those Liberty Mutual commercials just keep getting worse and worse.  I keep seeing the ones with a dude in a smart phone costume.  Not a fan.

I love those. His vibrating and when he gets wet and throws himself into a bowl of rice is hilarious. 

• Love 10

You mean the one where he vibrates?  SUPER annoying.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I noticed Monday it was Court TV here. I don't watch it on the Court TV channel I already had. Thanks.

it was Court TV for a few hours and then segued into Laff. I already get both Laff & Court TV somewhere else.  Oh, well...I watch too much TV anyway.

• Love 2

Without going into too much detail... fuck you, NFL! 🤬

6 hours ago, madmax said:

The last one was even more stupid.  A vendor selling Wet Teddy Bears instead of hot dogs.  WTF is the point of that?

I was about to mention seeing that one last night! I hate commercials where they reveal things just to make the commercial work. In this case, the customer didn't see the obvious"Wet Teddy Bears" sign on that vendor's cart before we did. 🙄

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That's not what I know.  FamilySearch.org still has a free searchable Ellis Island database as does the original Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Foundation website, both of which require you to sign up for an account, but searching and viewing records is free.

OK, I'll grudgingly give them that! But that's still not as convenient as it was when all one had to do was surf the site and put in one's name and they'd do that for free without signing up for any account!  

11 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, I'll grudgingly give them that! But that's still not as convenient as it was when all one had to do was surf the site and put in one's name and they'd do that for free without signing up for any account!  

But not everyone came in through Ellis Island. Both pairs of my grandparents entered the US in Philadelphia.

20 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Moving on to something I'm sure has been mentioned before but it's the Jennifer Aniston commercial for, well, I'm not sure what she's pimping (Aveeno lotion?). She's on the Peleton (?) cycling, then she's sweating on a treadmill, then she's doing hard core yoga. Then she's winking at us but it's not really a wink. It's more like she has Malibu Beach sand in her eye. Anyway, I could really do without seeing her again. Ever. If I had gym/exercise equipment in my home, I could lose weight too. Unfortunately the closest 24 hour fitness to me closed for good last year. And I'm not a big fan of going out in public to exercise. So thanks Miss Perfect for making me feel sadder and more depressed about myself. Whatever it is you're selling, I'm not buying it.

I think these ads are for some kind of supplements or something. Who needs those? Give me a personal trainer, a full-on gym in my home, most likely a personal chef to whip up my strict diet, and a body double, and I too would look as bangin' as Anniston.

And what's up with all of the winking in commercials lately? Joanna Gaines, Taylor Swift, Anniston, there are others - interestingly, all women. Is it supposed to make us feel like we're all just best girlfriends? Instead it makes them look like they have uncontrollable facial tics.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I cannot remember if this was a TV commercial or not, but seriously,  they chose Cardi B, a walking piece of filth,  for their "women's month" PSA? THAT'S what you chose as an example of womanhood? 🙄

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

personal chef to whip up my strict diet, and a body double

Yeah. We all know these multimillionaires have personal chefs who cook low cal, healthy meals for their clients, personal fitness gyms in their homes, personal fitness instructors to keep them on the right track. 

All WE get is spending money on fitness b.s. that doesn't do one f'n thing. But I believe that Aniston, (although "pretty good looking" is really not making bank lately in movie roles) so she is doing what many actors do whose "expiration date" has occurred....ANYTHING to make a buck. Ask Joe Namath! Lol. And PLEASE DON'T WINK AT US ANYMORE.

• Love 6
(edited)

“What’s the single worst thing about scooping your cat’s litter box?”

”Scooping your cat’s litter box.”

OK, who really likes that job?  But it literally takes me five minutes tops to do it(I have two boxes).  And even if I did have an extra  ~$500 to throw around, I’d rather put it towards future vet bills.

(Obviously, if you do have one and it works for you, more power to you.)

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 4

I have a friend whose been trying to talk me into one of those litter robots for years.  We've tried every litter under the sun due to the dust causing me lung issues.  If they don't have dust, they smell or are just too $$$$.  Pretty Litter is the only one that didn't leave dust and handled the smell but at 40+ dollars a month for litter, we just can't afford it.  The smell is a huge issue as unfortunately, the litter boxes are in the freakin' dining room (I KNOW... so gross.. but it's dining room or lose the cats and I kinda love them a lot)

So, rather than spend beaucoup bucks, my husband scoops the litter, sometimes twice a day.  

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

I have a friend whose been trying to talk me into one of those litter robots for years.  We've tried every litter under the sun due to the dust causing me lung issues.  If they don't have dust, they smell or are just too $$$$.  Pretty Litter is the only one that didn't leave dust and handled the smell but at 40+ dollars a month for litter, we just can't afford it.  The smell is a huge issue as unfortunately, the litter boxes are in the freakin' dining room (I KNOW... so gross.. but it's dining room or lose the cats and I kinda love them a lot)

So, rather than spend beaucoup bucks, my husband scoops the litter, sometimes twice a day.  

We do it every day. I thought everyone did.

• Love 9

I noticed there are new commercials for out-of-work bartenders who like to show off by pouring gas in their car from great height and juggling the milk and orange juice containers in the kitchen. It might be just be me, but I find bartenders doing an imitation of Tom Cruise in the movie Cocktail annoys the fuck out of me, so this isn't helping make me feel bad for them.

3 hours ago, Callietwo said:

My sister uses a litterbox with a mechanical rake of sort sort but the clay type litter causes me problems, so I use the silicate type (Ultra Micro Crystals) that I only have to replace every couple weeks. Unfortunately,  I lose track of when to change it, so I'm back to square one every month. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

My sister uses a litterbox with a mechanical rake of sort sort but the clay type litter causes me problems, so I use the silicate type (Ultra Micro Crystals) that I only have to replace every couple weeks. Unfortunately,  I lose track of when to change it, so I'm back to square one every month. 

Bought one of those scooping boxes with the silicate crystals and the Psycho Kitty refused to use it.  So I'm back to two normal boxes (one for pooping, one for peeing, seriously) with normal litter.  I really like the Arm & Hammer Scoop & Slide.

• Love 4

Since I lost the love of my heart Baby Boo a few years ago, I am feeding local feral cats up to 3 sometimes 4, one maybe pg. One good thing is they poop under the trees and I don't have to clean up anything. The one that maybe pg is a love and I would take her in in a minute, but she is shy and won't come to me...

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Since I lost the love of my heart Baby Boo a few years ago, I am feeding local feral cats up to 3 sometimes 4, one maybe pg. One good thing is they poop under the trees and I don't have to clean up anything. The one that maybe pg is a love and I would take her in in a minute, but she is shy and won't come to me...

Going to small talk...

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I noticed there are new commercials for out-of-work bartenders who like to show off by pouring gas in their car from great height and juggling the milk and orange juice containers in the kitchen. It might be just be me, but I find bartenders doing an imitation of Tom Cruise in the movie Cocktail annoys the fuck out of me, so this isn't helping make me feel bad for them.

Not to mention how pouring gas from a "great height" is dangerous, especially at a gas station pump.  I didn't even think pumps were made that allowed that anymore.

• Love 7

Both are minor annoyances but the commercials are show with such frequency:

The Weather Tech car dealer guy snotting “there a teeeeeeny little scratch” then having a body spasm because the value of the car trade in theoretically went up because of the floor mats and seat covers.

A couple of skincare products - Neutrogena and a second I can’t recall - that verbally abbreviate “dermatologist” as “derm.” “Derm recommended,” “my derm told me,”...

• Love 8

A couple of skincare products - Neutrogena and a second I can’t recall - that verbally abbreviate “dermatologist” as “derm.” “Derm recommended,” “my derm told me,”...

I hate that too. I've noticed the one with Eva Longoria (I think) she is now saying "dermatologist" so we must not be the only people who complained.

• Love 6

No commercial sets me off more than  the Snyder of Hanover commercials where they are chewing and crunching loudly.  I have to hit mute or leave the room.  I see the commercial constantly with the girl crunching loudly on the couch and the boyfriend gets up.  I won't buy their product because of these commercials.  That is how bad it bothers me.  Why would I want to listen to someone chew loudly?

• Love 6
(edited)

The Jenny Craig commercials which are oddly trying to be current by having a random person in the ad wear a mask but usually surrounded by people who aren't.  If they're trying to sell me on their product it's not working - all I see is the mask among the unmasked and all I am thinking is "that doesn't seem safe"!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 6

Not sure why this rubs me the wrong way, but the Smileactives woman who thinks her teeth need to match the color of her 6 year old's, because selfies. Why doesn't she also think she needs to have the perfect skin, silky hair and tiny stature of her 6 year old?? 

I also detest the Progressive sign waver and his father. I actually feel second-hand embarrassment for these 2 losers, and it beats me why anyone who needed insurance would be moved to buy it from Progressive based on these commercials.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, justdoit10 said:

No commercial sets me off more than  the Snyder of Hanover commercials where they are chewing and crunching loudly.  I have to hit mute or leave the room.  I see the commercial constantly with the girl crunching loudly on the couch and the boyfriend gets up.  I won't buy their product because of these commercials.  That is how bad it bothers me.  Why would I want to listen to someone chew loudly?

Almost as bad is the Beneful commercial where the “dog” is talking with a mouthful of food...

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

So what happens if that cat doesn't hop out in time or decides to sleep in there, does he or she go ass over tea kettle until the damn thing stops spinning?

How does it know when your cat goes to the bathroom?  Does it come with a giant nose that smells the stench and says to itself "enough of this shit" and spins the sucker until the piss and or shit reaches its final destination?

It seems based on a sensor indicating a cat has entered and exited, since it does its topsy-turvy thing "after each use", but they don't explain.

I think the commercials are funny, but I'd never spend $500 on a litter box, especially one so freakin' huge. 

• Love 2

My mom scoops hers multiple times a day because she chose to (1) put the litter box right by her bed, and (2) use froofy grain-based litter that does absolutely nothing to mask the smell. Given those conditions I'm not sure there's any amount of scooping that's enough.

• Love 4
On 3/5/2021 at 9:18 AM, smittykins said:

What’s the single worst thing about scooping your cat’s litter box?”

”Scooping your cat’s litter box.”

I hate that commercial. For me, scooping a litter box or picking up dog dookie in a plastic bag is no more offensive or annoying than cleaning my own "personal" daily dooky. It's astonishing how companies pay millions of dollars for these stupid ads.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I hate that too. I've noticed the one with Eva Longoria (I think) she is now saying "dermatologist" so we must not be the only people who complained.

A sister commercial to the one where she and Amber Heard talk about hy-a-lu-ron-ic acid while pointing at us for each syllable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 3/5/2021 at 1:02 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

Do you have a cell phone?  I use mine to set reminders for lots of silly little things that I otherwise forget.  (Though I'm now wondering whether this is just exacerbating my middle-age onset memory loss.)

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 3/5/2021 at 4:02 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

1 hour ago, Leeds said:

Do you have a cell phone?  I use mine to set reminders for lots of silly little things that I otherwise forget.  (Though I'm now wondering whether this is just exacerbating my middle-age onset memory loss.)

Sorry if I’m veering off into small talk territory, but isn’t it obvious by sight and smell when the litter needs changing? I only use the warehouse store bulk lightweight clumping stuff, but I very rarely need to actually replace anything. I just scoop out the clumps and what remains is pretty clean.

ETA: but my cell phone definitely reminds me of stuff like when to change the furnace filters, change the clocks for dst ... I keep forgetting I can do that. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 2

I'm pretty sure Jennifer Aniston picked her own nose.  As in 'chose.'  I think she picked her own chin as well, and lately, has been picking her own botox provider.  The thing that gets me about her commercials is that her face doesn't move and I think she looks puffy and I don't think either of those can be blamed on Neutrogena but neither does it make me want to buy their product.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

I'm pretty sure Jennifer Aniston picked her own nose.  As in 'chose.'  I think she picked her own chin as well, and lately, has been picking her own botox provider.  The thing that gets me about her commercials is that her face doesn't move and I think she looks puffy and I don't think either of those can be blamed on Neutrogena but neither does it make me want to buy their product.

I got sucked into one of those before and after click-bait things a couple of days ago and her "before" nose was really large.  It appears that her career is nothing but commercials now and she couldn't sell me anything.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I got sucked into one of those before and after click-bait things a couple of days ago and her "before" nose was really large.  It appears that her career is nothing but commercials now and she couldn't sell me anything.

She was recently nominated for a Golden Globe for The Morning Show.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1