Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The people in the Burger King commercials who think they've won the lottery because they were able to purchase two Whoppers for $5 get on my last nerve.

What gets me is they claim these people are food bloggers who are now so excited that they can get two Whoppers for $5.  Here's a clue - it doesn't taste any better at that price, mmkay?  Here's a bucket of slop that is usually $5 but we'll let you have two for $5.  Well, I didn't want one, but hey, if I can get two, strap that bucket to my face.  I'm gonna chow down! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Besides me diving for the remote to hit mute when the song that begins with "Every morning at half past four..." and then the sound of crying babies, the end of that Volvo commercial is also annoying. Dad is not backing at all slowly out of the driveway, despite the massive, tall hedge blocking his view of the roadway, and then the parents exchange surprised and disturbed looks after a close call with a speeding truck going past them on the road, and the Volvo's driver assistance system stops the car. A truck whose driver had to swerve to avoid the suddenly appearing backend of the Volvo because....massive, tall hedge also blocking visibility from the road. I know I'm overthinking it but if I lived there I would be inching slowly out of my driveway as I got closer to the road, or cutting the hedge, or backing into my driveway when I got home so that the car would be facing the road when I leave so that I can easily see if it's clear for me to turn onto the road. It's the "Oh noes! The children could have died!" looks when, as far I can tell, Dad was not being cautious from the start. Yep, I'm definitely overthinking it.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 20
20 hours ago, Maverick said:

The General has a new series of commercials with people coming up to Shaq (apparently as the personification of The General Insurance Company) literally begging his forgiveness because they judged the company on their commercials but they're actually a very reliable insurer and can they please, please, please come back.   Shaq refuses because he's been telling them they're a good company all along.   So...who approved this?  Was it the same ad company that made ads apparently so bad and misleading that they require a new series to counteract them?   And what's the message to customers/potential customers?  Sorry you didn't get our ads before but since you didn't we don't want you?      

Kind of reminds me of the old “I hate your commercials, but I love your product!” ads for HeadOn(apply directly to the forehead).

• Love 2
9 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

What gets me is they claim these people are food bloggers who are now so excited that they can get two Whoppers for $5.  Here's a clue - it doesn't taste any better at that price, mmkay?  Here's a bucket of slop that is usually $5 but we'll let you have two for $5.  Well, I didn't want one, but hey, if I can get two, strap that bucket to my face.  I'm gonna chow down! 

Homer: Your old meat made me sick!

Apu: Why, I'm so sorry. Please accept five pounds of frozen shrimp. [Homer picks, sniffs shrimp]

Homer: This shrimp isn't frozen – and it smells funny!

Apu: Okay, ten pounds.

Homer: Woo-hoo!

Cut to an ambulance speeding down the street

• LOL 13
  • Love 1

Uber Eats. Please make it stop! I can't even hit mute fast enough anymore. 

As soon as you replaced Mark Hamill and Patrick Stewart, you lost me.

On the other hand I love the cute characters and boppy song of Grub Hub

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

Kind of reminds me of the old “I hate your commercials, but I love your product!” ads for HeadOn(apply directly to the forehead).

That's not a desirable situation though. One year I had a summer job conducting banking surveys in my county. Almost all the negative responses I recorded were either for one bank that had terrible customer service and lots of clerical errors, or another that received few complaints on the business end but had horrible advertising featuring the local bank manager's preschool-aged daughters yelling into the camera. Three guesses which of those two institutions is still in business 30+ years later.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Besides me diving for the remote to hit mute when the song that begins with "Every morning at half past four..." and then the sound of crying babies, the end of that Volvo commercial is also annoying. Dad is not backing at all slowly out of the driveway, despite the massive, tall hedge blocking his view of the roadway, and then the parents exchange surprised and disturbed looks after a close call with a speeding truck going past them on the road, and the Volvo's driver assistance system stops the car. A truck whose driver had to swerve to avoid the suddenly appearing backend of the Volvo because....massive, tall hedge also blocking visibility from the road. I know I'm overthinking it but if I lived there I would be inching slowly out of my driveway as I got closer to the road, or cutting the hedge, or backing into my driveway when I got home so that the car would be facing the road when I leave so that I can easily see if it's clear for me to turn onto the road. It's the "Oh noes! The children could have died!" looks when, as far I can tell, Dad was not being cautious from the start. Yep, I'm definitely overthinking it.

Nope, you're not overthinking it.  Or you have at least one overthinker agreeing with all your points!  I especially hate the close call looks!

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Thank you for articulating everything I hate about that commercial. Especially the song.

This week I have special hate for that sanitary pad commercial that keeps talking about "the gush." I mean, I am all for period positivity and everything, but, really, I'm years past where I had to worry about any of that and I really don't like being reminded of that unpleasantness. Plus, you know, ew.

• Love 16
Just now, Eliot said:

Thank you for articulating everything I hate about that commercial. Especially the song.

This week I have special hate for that sanitary pad commercial that keeps talking about "the gush." I mean, I am all for period positivity and everything, but, really, I'm years past where I had to worry about any of that and I really don't like being reminded of that unpleasantness. Plus, you know, ew.

I'm seven years past that time and like you had also forgotten about it until the commercial. Primary response: Glad I no longer have to deal with that!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

What irritates me is the way both husband and wife say his name. It's like they do this weird thing with the "r." Is that something that is usually done? Even by Guy himself? 

Yes, Guy pronounces the r as a t.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:
21 hours ago, dleighg said:

What irritates me is the way both husband and wife say his name. It's like they do this weird thing with the "r." Is that something that is usually done? Even by Guy himself? 

Yes, Guy pronounces the r as a t.

I loathe that too.  Like they're rolling the 'r' with their tongue on the roof of their mouth.  Please.  It doesn't make you more Italian.  Just like when Giada DeLaurentis has to enunciate certain words with an Italian accent to, you know, prove she's more Italian than us

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, madmax said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there's a commercial for some sports betting app where it's 3 idiots on a couch yelling "Download the App!"  I can't turn that one off quick enough.

I've not seen this ad and that's ok, don't need to but anytime someone starts talking "apps" at me, I run screaming from the room or I want to throw something at the computer or tv.

Someone, somewhere in these threads mentioned the product, for which I've forgotten it's name, exactly what the product is, but somehow it's related to women's incontinence. The one with the woman who lowers her voice and glances downward as she says, "that skin." I never paid attention until I saw that post now I truly hate her.

And for my other annoyance, the Chime snit who boasts about getting her paycheck two days early. I said in another post that it sounded to me like she was on the verge of breaking into giggles, but after watching the ad a few thousand more times, I think what I'm referring to may be the dreaded vocal fry that others have complained about. I've never been exactly what a vocal fry is, but I think she has it.

• Love 10

Regarding the ads for special tubs that the elderly/disabled/etc. can use, that are supposed to be easier for them to sit in and get in and out of, I get that the spokesperson will have to demonstrate how they work at some point...

...but couldn't they have found a way to do that with Pat Boone that didn't involve me having to see him in a bathrobe or seeing his bare chest peeking out as he sat in the tub? 

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
On 2/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I hate the Tide “Just to be sure” commercial. The kid just goes around the house spraying everything multiple times “Just to be sure”. Obviously, this kid doesn’t know that over-spraying anything can do more harm than having a few germs in the house.

I hate that commercial,  too! The young man spraying everything "just in case" is clearly neurotic and has a dirt/germs issue. Yeah, sterilizing your house is not the goal.

On 2/10/2021 at 4:03 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw (Uber eats?) an ad with Myers & Carvey doing Wayne's World schtick.  Those two are not aging well.

Especially when that walking venereal disease named Cardi B shows up. My gawd, I'd have begun projectile vomiting if Wayne and Garth said "Shwing!"!! 🤮🤮🤮

On 2/16/2021 at 3:41 AM, Scout Finch said:

OMG, I hate that commercial soooo much and am not sure where to start. Douchebag hipsters, migraine-inducing light flairs, the "hard work at the mill" song, the helicopter parenting, etc. 

And yes, them being surprised that a semitruck nearly obliterated their car as it backed out of the driveway with the ten foot tall wall of shrubbery... 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Regarding the ads for special tubs that the elderly/disabled/etc. can use, that are supposed to be easier for them to sit in and get in and out of, I get that the spokesperson will have to demonstrate how they work at some point...

...but couldn't they have found a way to do that with Pat Boone that didn't involve me having to see him in a bathrobe or seeing his bare chest peeking out as he sat in the tub? 

As much as I try to keep my mind from going there, I can’t help but wonder what Pat may(or may not)have on under those bubbles.

(I try to reassure myself that “he’s probably wearing a bathing suit,” but...it doesn’t work.

• LOL 6

All of the NutriSystem commercials are a no for me, but the ones with the men are the worst! The food is especially designed for a man's metabolism, but do they have to say that it is "man food" like pizza and burgers? I thought we'd come a long way since the days of "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche."

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

All of the NutriSystem commercials are a no for me, but the ones with the men are the worst! The food is especially designed for a man's metabolism, but do they have to say that it is "man food" like pizza and burgers? I thought we'd come a long way since the days of "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche."

Same people who unironically say "man cave".

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 2/16/2021 at 9:06 PM, Eliot said:

As much as I'm all for women not putting their life on hold because they have their period, if you know you're prone to having 'gush' days [TMI] mine was the second day [/TMI], just try to limit activities which may result in said gush.  The world won't come to an end if you miss a day of jogging, yoga or kickboxing, not matter how fierce you can rock these things during your period.  It's better than having to walk with your legs clenched to the nearest bathroom (if there's even one around!) to avoid accidental embarrassment

On 2/16/2021 at 9:06 PM, Eliot said:

Besides me diving for the remote to hit mute when the song that begins with "Every morning at half past four..." and then the sound of crying babies, the end of that Volvo commercial is also annoying

I look at that couple and think, 'clueless, self-absorbed, hipster doofus millenials

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

As much as I'm all for women not putting their life on hold because they have their period, if you know you're prone to having 'gush' days [TMI] mine was the second day [/TMI], just try to limit activities which may result in said gush.  The world won't come to an end if you miss a day of jogging, yoga or kickboxing, not matter how fierce you can rock these things during your period.  It's better than having to walk with your legs clenched to the nearest bathroom (if there's even one around!) to avoid accidental embarrassment

Why do that when you could just be prepared? And the gush comes from stuff like sneezing or even just existing, so I don't really think anyone can do anything about it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Why do that when you could just be prepared? And the gush comes from stuff like sneezing or even just existing, so I don't really think anyone can do anything about it.

Understood with regards to things that you can't avoid (sudden sneeze, getting up and down from your chair at the office, etc).  Which is why I suggested they 'try' to limit their activities that aren't necessary day to day if they think they might be at gush-risk without a bathroom in sight to dash to - if you can make it in time.  In a nutshell - just don't risk it if you don't have to do it

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

And yes, them being surprised that a semitruck nearly obliterated their car as it backed out of the driveway with the ten foot tall wall of shrubbery... 

I'm always rooting for the truck

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Count yourself lucky. There used to be an old photo floating around with the implication that Lonely Island might owe Boone some royalties for using that "dick in a box" idea.

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Count yourself lucky. There used to be an old photo floating around with the implication that Lonely Island might owe Boone some royalties for using that "dick in a box" idea.

I consider myself lucky because I don't understand any of that statement.  LOL

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

....all right, well, I'm off to find some brain bleach now. 

• LOL 7

My current most-loathed:

"Go, boy, go" A song with only 3 words isn't so much a song as a chant. And really really annoying.

"Got my hair got my head..." Shut up.

"We are the thrivers"  I don't know why it bugs me, survivors of breast cancer deserve everything good but this is just...it's like "we are the thrivers unlike the rest of you schmucks."

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

As old as I am, I am thankful I don't know what any of this means.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

What the hell?  "No matter how muck you kiss your lucky frog?" 🐸 Sorry Ice-T, I can't bend over that far.  Where the heck does "kiss your lucky frog" come from?  I have never heard that before, but as usual my mind heads right to the gutter.

I've heard of princesses kissing a lot of frogs to find their prince, but never a lucky frog. 🐸

The small print:  Carshield not available in California.

• Love 3

Hey, it's Puccini's aria "Un bel dì"! Its heroine, Butterfly, is singing about her dream of joyfully reuniting with her absent husband. So maybe it kind of fits the theme of the ad?

Except he returns with a new wife, expecting a divorce and Butterfly kills herself in despair. 

So maybe not.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

The Smile Direct Club ads that start out with their company identified by purple colored construction paper card with white company letters and then breaks into a video of three different girls, four if you count the second one which has an obvious mirror image of same girl skipping rope, doing their training exercises (running and then dribbling basketballs).  All with the annoying theme song running.  I hate this commercial!

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

WORD!!!!!! I need a shower after watching that ad. Skeevy. 

• Love 6

I don’t hate the commercial with the “scoop, there it is” song in it (actually, it makes me laugh), but why are they already preparing bowls of ice cream when the lady is still cooking the regular dinner?

ETA: I got curious about the pronunciation of Guy Fieri so I Googled. I saw a few things about how he mispronounces his own name (ie, without the trill). And then something else saying that his name is actually Guy Ferry. So, if it’s supposed to have the trilled R (as opposed to “Fietti”), why not just hire actors who can do the trill?! (I personally am unable to do it.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
On 2/15/2021 at 9:57 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Is anyone else sick of ALL the exercise commercials?  I don’t care if it’s for some bike or a mirror, there are so freaking many. And why are all the women dressed in outfits that leave little to the imagination while the men are in baggy outfits?  The men need to be wearing tight bike shorts, lol. 

I've been thinking the exact same thing.  I'm so tired of seeing the women working out at home in sports bras and leggings.  I'm only speaking for myself, but I have a top on over my sports bra when I work out.  It makes it easier to wipe the sweat off.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, skipnjump said:
On 2/15/2021 at 9:57 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Is anyone else sick of ALL the exercise commercials?  I don’t care if it’s for some bike or a mirror, there are so freaking many. And why are all the women dressed in outfits that leave little to the imagination while the men are in baggy outfits?  The men need to be wearing tight bike shorts, lol. 

I've been thinking the exact same thing.  I'm so tired of seeing the women working out at home in sports bras and leggings.  I'm only speaking for myself, but I have a top on over my sports bra when I work out.  It makes it easier to wipe the sweat off.

I'll third this.  I've had the same 3 pairs of workout leggings (purchased at our new Goodwill) and 2 sports bras for almost 5 years to workout in my basement gym.  On cold mornings, I throw my worn PiNK hoodie (that I refuse to throw out) over it.  What's the point of wearing $100 LuLuMon (or whatever expensive brand) leggings to workout at home?  JMO

10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don’t hate the commercial with the “scoop, there it is” song in it (actually, it makes me laugh), but why are they already preparing bowls of ice cream when the lady is still cooking the regular dinner?

And why do they waste precious sprinkles by tossing them in the air like confetti?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ABay said:

My current most-loathed:

"Go, boy, go" A song with only 3 words isn't so much a song as a chant. And really really annoying.

"We are the thrivers"  I don't know why it bugs me, survivors of breast cancer deserve everything good but this is just...it's like "we are the thrivers unlike the rest of you schmucks."

It always sounds like their the only ones trying to thrive and everyone else is giving up. I have that same remark with the guy who had a heart attack but he's a survivor. Yeah, because everyone else just gives up. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It always sounds like their the only ones trying to thrive and everyone else is giving up. I have that same remark with the guy who had a heart attack but he's a survivor. Yeah, because everyone else just gives up. 

They don't give up, they lose their battle with cancer.  They're thriving because of the miracle of modern medicine's pharmaceuticals which saves lives or helps lengthen their survival rate.  That and the Grace of God.  RIP to all who've died because of cancer.  Cancer sucks!

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

OK, but what does this have to do with Pat Boone?  Color me confused.  😖

Count yourself lucky. There used to be an old photo floating around with the implication that Lonely Island might owe Boone some royalties for using that "dick in a box" idea. - Bruinsfan, up thread.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

They don't give up, they lose their battle with cancer.  They're thriving because of the miracle of modern medicine's pharmaceuticals which saves lives or helps lengthen their survival rate.  That and the Grace of God.  RIP to all who've died because of cancer.  Cancer sucks!

I'm offended by those commercials because they *do* imply that those who lose their battle aren't fighters. Sometimes the bravest thing someone can do is recognize when treatment isn't an option and decide to die with dignity.

• Love 16
12 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I'm offended by those commercials because they *do* imply that those who lose their battle aren't fighters. Sometimes the bravest thing someone can do is recognize when treatment isn't an option and decide to die with dignity.

That would be a commercial for a hospice.  People who "lose their battle with cancer" ARE fighters.  Everyone dies one way or another.  There is nothing ignoble about dying from cancer.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

That would be a commercial for a hospice.  People who "lose their battle with cancer" ARE fighters.  Everyone dies one way or another.  There is nothing ignoble about dying from cancer.

I think Eliot is having the same problem I do when I hear the VO say "and many people achieve remission". It's being phrased in an exclusionary way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 2/19/2021 at 7:31 PM, ABay said:

My current most-loathed:

How about “I’ve got to break free....oh, I’ve got to break free”.  HATE.  And double hate for lack of imagination or creativity. 

• Love 1