Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Oscar Mayer Father-Daughter Mustard Fight. They squirt mustard at each other and all over the table include the unopened Oscar Meyer hotdog package but instead of chastising them for having wasted mustard and made a big mess, the mother just slightly rolls her eyes and chuckles. Lady, it's your call but there's still the issue of the big mess that someone is going to have to clean up so you'd better order  them hop to it ASAP (and risk being thought of as a 'mean mommy')  instead of just encouraging them to think they were cute- with you being the one to wind up cleaning it up.

UGH! Why do so many ads encourage kids to be brats?

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Oscar Mayer Father-Daughter Mustard Fight. They squirt mustard at each other and all over the table include thing unopened Oscar Meyer hotdog package but instead of chastising them for having wasted mustard and made a big mess, the mother just slightly rolls her eyes and chuckles. Lady, it's your call but there's still the issue of the big mess that someone is going to have to clean up so you'd better order  them hop to it ASAP (and risk being thought of as a 'mean mommy')  instead of just encouraging them to think they were cute- with you being the one to wind up cleaning it up.

Kids? What about daddy there? Why does he get off the hook? 

The other thing about her that annoys me no end is that in her entire piece she sounds like she's about to break into giggles. A lot of young women talk like that and it's annoying. I don't know if it's an affectation or some sort of speech impediment or if they are about to break into giggles, but it's annoying AF.

There's the same stupidity in a NOOM commercial. One of the "real" people is this woman who says "I feel like NOOM has made me smarter? Tee hee" Makes my teeth hurt.

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Because my previous hate for Humira ads just wasn't enough, add the one where the mother having to dash off to the bathroom in the middle of her young son's basketball game to the list.  I just don't like  husband's assumed "you have to go now?" look and her son casting sad eyes from the bb court, giving off this 'I have Chrohns and, therefore, have to make frequent and untimely bathroom breaks - especially during my kid's basketball game which must make me a very bad parent' vibe.

Yes - if you have a medical issue which can be controlled by medication that will increase your quality of life you should definitely speak to your physician about it.  But stop portraying them in ads as making them look like they're the ones doing something wrong or failing as a parent/spouse, etc because their condition comes across as an inconvenience to others.

This drives me mad. The kid is old enough to know that mom has a medical condition and yet he's upset that she had to attend to it instead of watching him play? Even worse, her husband? Giving her a look? And she is ill? Jerk.

• Love 18
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Kids? What about daddy there? Why does he get off the hook? 

Sorry, my bad! You're absolutely right! Sabotaging Daddies especially need to be dissed instead of overlooked- or encouraged! Especially considering that he's the co-parent and adult and definitely is old enough to know not to do stuff like that- more than a child would (though the one depicted wasn't a toddler).

• Love 10
40 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There's the same stupidity in a NOOM commercial. One of the "real" people is this woman who says "I feel like NOOM has made me smarter? Tee hee" Makes my teeth hurt.

Even that comment has been edited down from her original spiel about learning about the psychology and how 'Noom really hits all that.'  Ugh.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Oscar Mayer Father-Daughter Mustard Fight. They squirt mustard at each other and all over the table include the unopened Oscar Meyer hotdog package but instead of chastising them for having wasted mustard and made a big mess, the mother just slightly rolls her eyes and chuckles. Lady, it's your call but there's still the issue of the big mess that someone is going to have to clean up so you'd better order  them hop to it ASAP (and risk being thought of as a 'mean mommy')  instead of just encouraging them to think they were cute- with you being the one to wind up cleaning it up.

Time to break out the Bounty, the quicker picker-upper!  And yes, Moms are always relegated to cleaning up the messes.

Snarky little things too.  When they're not up to hijnks like sticking a toy sword up Dad's butt.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Time to break out the Bounty, the quicker picker-upper!  And yes, Moms are always relegated to cleaning up the messes.

Snarky little things too.  When they're not up to hijnks like sticking a toy sword up Dad's butt.

That kid would find herself knocked into next week. I have a very strong startle response and I tend to strike out when someone jabs me in the ass.

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loathe the Humira commercials for exactly the reasons all of you have described so eloquently.    The only Bounty commercial I can stand is the one with the Dumpling, that ends up with the Bulldog catching it.   Noom, I'm not a fan.   

I love the dog catching the dumpling including his "Yessss". Its just so like any dog waiting and hoping something will fall off the table and it finally does. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 15

Ugh, the squirting mustard commercial.  Mother just rolls her eyes and chuckles.  Every day I see a commercial like this...I always say, "I can just see my parents if I did that. I'd get whaled."  Also, there's no way father would ever put on a tutu and let me paint his fingernails.  In general, men and fathers in commercials are portrayed as complete boobs and idiots.  Father awkwardly spills something, mother sighs and comes in with the Bounty or the mop.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, knuckles491 said:

Also, there's no way father would ever put on a tutu and let me paint his fingernails

Awww, I love that part.  I'm a 60's kid, so my Dad was not a new generation type, but I know that had I asked him to do this, he would have.  I was totally a Daddy's girl and he was a mush when it came to me.

• Love 11
43 minutes ago, knuckles491 said:

Ugh, the squirting mustard commercial.  Mother just rolls her eyes and chuckles.  Every day I see a commercial like this...I always say, "I can just see my parents if I did that. I'd get whaled."  Also, there's no way father would ever put on a tutu and let me paint his fingernails.  In general, men and fathers in commercials are portrayed as complete boobs and idiots.  Father awkwardly spills something, mother sighs and comes in with the Bounty or the mop.

I haven't seen the mustard squirting commercial and I am sure that I will be annoyed and irritated by it when I do. But I must respectfully disagree with the bolded portion of your post above. 

I think that commercials have come a long way in portraying fathers as being involved in their children's lives instead of the semi-stranger who leaves for work in the morning and comes home at night to give a quick hug and then have a cocktail and watch tv while Mom does all of the caregiving, cooking and cleaning. I see men in commercials doing household chores as their part of family responsibility. I see fathers in commercials spending time nurturing and having fun with their children. Is it perfect? No, it never can be, because there is no perfection. Are there still ads that have Dad as a buffoon? Yes. But I don't think those are the majority now. YMMV.

In general, a lot of people in commercials are portrayed as complete boobs and idiots, but it sure isn't limited to fathers. 

• Love 14
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The only Bounty commercial I can stand is the one with the Dumpling, that ends up with the Bulldog catching it. 

Unfortunately, they seldom show the whole commercial anymore, leaving out the best part - the dog catching the dumpling,

• Love 11

Way worse than showing adults as bumbling idiots are the commercials that show small children as font of knowledge in the household and that their parents should be grateful that little tyke tolerates and corrects their stupidity on a regular basis. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
32 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Way worse than showing adults as bumbling idiots are the commercials that show small children as font of knowledge in the household and that their parents should be grateful that little tyke tolerates and corrects their stupidity on a regular basis. 

And rules the roost by refusing to eat vegetables unless they are smothered with cheese, a demand with which the parents quickly comply.

• Love 9

It's almost always a man, husband or father who is a complete boob or idiot while wifey or some other female corrects him or has the words of wisdom or has the upper hand.  Only single fathers who take care of their princesses know how to do the laundry, or do anything else domesticated.

• Love 10

Ugh, I hate the all-knowing mom trope—especially because it makes it look like the woman is happy to take that role with her grown-man husband. Of course, there are lots of things I do for my BF that he could do himself (and vice versa) but I do not want to be the cruise director of the home! There was even once a cough medicine commercial that referred to the lady as “Dr Mom,” even though she was getting the medicine for her husband.

I saw the Taylor Swift cardigan commercial,  and while her shorts look like a completely normal length to me, I am confused as to why she chose them on a day she deems so chilly.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, cynicat said:

Awww, I love that part.  I'm a 60's kid, so my Dad was not a new generation type, but I know that had I asked him to do this, he would have.  I was totally a Daddy's girl and he was a mush when it came to me.

Look in on a random Saturday of my childhood, and it's possible you'd find me playing basketball with my dad and then doing his hair and nails later, just as you could choose another day and might find me doing the same activities with my mom.  He was very much a product of the '40s and '50s in which he was raised, but he wasn't sexist or insecure enough to reject spending time with me based on the gender stereotypes surrounding the activity in which I was interested in enging at the time.  Go out with the nail polish and barrettes?  Of course not, because that's not how he dressed.  But he wasn't going to refuse in our own home. 

I doubt any parent of any gender wants to play Go Fish for an hour, but they do it.  They're happy when their kid wants to share something they actually enjoy, but they know activities they wouldn't choose on their own are part of the gig.

One of my favorites is the commercial where the dad is practicing cheers with his daughter - "Oh, those boys are much too much" - and gives it all he has.  But it's terribly depressing we need to have a PSA encouraging fathers to be dads.  So the more scenes of dads parenting, in all forms, in commercials, the better.  We need to eradicate those with dads acting like another kid and their wives just smiling and cleaning up after the lot of them like that's her job.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Look in on a random Saturday of my childhood, and it's possible you'd find me playing basketball with my dad and then doing his hair and nails later, just as you could choose another day and might find me doing the same activities with my mom.  He was very much a product of the '40s and '50s in which he was raised, but he wasn't sexist or insecure enough to reject spending time with me based on the gender stereotypes surrounding the activity in which I was interested in enging at the time.  Go out with the nail polish and barrettes?  Of course not, because that's not how he dressed.  But he wasn't going to refuse in our own home. 

I doubt any parent of any gender wants to play Go Fish for an hour, but they do it.  They're happy when their kid wants to share something they actually enjoy, but they know activities they wouldn't choose on their own are part of the gig.

One of my favorites is the commercial where the dad is practicing cheers with his daughter - "Oh, those boys are much too much" - and gives it all he has.  But it's terribly depressing we need to have a PSA encouraging fathers to be dads.  So the more scenes of dads parenting, in all forms, in commercials, the better.  We need less of dads acting like another kid and their wives just smiling and cleaning up after the lot of them like that's her job.

Hear, hear!

• Love 5

I hate the DoorDash Super Bowl ad. 

Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, go ahead and use them to sell stuff. Honestly, that probably makes me more likely to buy. But the Sesame Street muppets should be off limits, Leave them to educational purposes. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, docmatt said:

I hate the DoorDash Super Bowl ad. 

Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, go ahead and use them to sell stuff. Honestly, that probably makes me more likely to buy. But the Sesame Street muppets should be off limits, Leave them to educational purposes. 

Yeah, but Daveed Diggs.

Most of the SB commercials sucked this year.  At least in the first half since I bailed after the half time show.

I don't remember if anyone has mentioned the (now old) Tide commercial where the adult children (and grandkids) have moved back in with the parents.  The older parents are sitting on the couch folding tiny laundry.  Why aren't the parents of the little ones doing their own laundry?

And mustard stains are pretty much impossible to get out.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 7

Since Canada doesn't get the new Superbowl commercials during the game (unless you have an OTA antenna and get the US feed), we had some new Canada-specific ones. These included new Skip the Dishes commercials by Jon Hamm. Yay? No.

Thanks to the Jon Hamm commercials, I will never in my life use Skip the Dishes. His character in the commercials is annoying af, and they play the SHIT out of them (i.e. one every commercial break).

I saw a Tweet a few weeks ago from someone that said "Can we start a Go Fund Me for Jon Hamm so he can stop doing Skip The Dishes ads?" 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I don't remember if anyone has mentioned the (now old) Tide commercial where the adult children (and grandkids) have moved back in with the parents.  The older parents are sitting on the couch folding tiny laundry.  Why aren't the parents of the little ones doing their own laundry?

My impression was always that the parents of the grandkids were at work.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Thank you! This has been my question from the first time I saw this one. Why are the grandparents doing laundry? And how many kids are they doing laundry for? And how long do they wait in between to do it? Seems like mountains of clothes. I've got 3 kids, and don't have that much laundry in week. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Given that it is a hot dog commercial, I would be disappointed if the kids weren't brats (as in bratwursts).

I guess that wasn't as funny as I thought, back to the drawing board.

BTW, mustard stains are really difficult to get out.

Yep, kids often are brats if not the wurst in hot dog commercials ! LOL

Oh, and true that mustard stains are VERY tough to get out which is why I hope that mom has both her husband and child not only clean up their table mess but also hand-scrub their soiled clothing!

BTW, the Oscar Meyer hot dogs were still in the package  before getting streaked with mustard so they would have had to rinse the package under the tap to avoid another mess before they could prepare then  eat them! Shouldn't the point of a food commercial be to show how much folks are suppose to enjoy eating the product rather than just have the hot dogs sit cold in a mustard coated package? Did the ad folks think there's an untapped market for folks who wouldn't  consider hot dogs fit for human consumption but WOULD buy them just to squirt mustard on the outside package?

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

OMG this stupid flat Matthew commercial for Doritos....not funny at all.  And is there anything Jimmy Kimmell won't do?  Why is in every commercial and t.v. spot??

My kids liked the end of it when he gets stuck and is smashed in the machine. They cracked up. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

That’s not an excuse to dump their work on their older parents. 

Maybe the grandparents wanted to! A few years ago, my mom seemed delighted to do mine when I refused to continue using the laundry room at my apartment complex (ugh, the reason was traumatizing!). Probably part boredom and part wanting to still be Mom to her grown and gone daughters? So maybe I just disproved my theory, considering these people’s kid (and grandkids) are far from “gone.”

• Love 3
On 2/7/2021 at 3:56 PM, icemiser69 said:

That kid would find herself knocked into next week. I have a very strong startle response and I tend to strike out when someone jabs me in the ass.

When it comes to the logistics of that jab, Mr.Ctlady cries foul whenever he sees it.  It you were stabbed in the rear end with a plastic sword, you'd most likely lurch forward, not bend your upper body up and back

5 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm sick of seeing Anthony Anderson and him mama in those T-Mobile commercials

I'll take him and his "Hmph!" mama over Lily, the AT&T chick any day

6 hours ago, Haleth said:
7 hours ago, Ashforth said:

My impression was always that the parents of the grandkids were at work.

That’s not an excuse to dump their work on their older parents. 

I must be a super hero because I can hold a full time job, grocery shop, cook, clean the house AND wash, dry and fold clothes (hub is semi-retired, albiet disabled, but  he still pitches in with what he's able to do, Lord bless him!)  If you're going to live scott-free off your older/retired parents then you better make their lives as easy as possible.  When I use to go visit my elderly parents in FL for a week, I did rest and relax, but I did their grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry and drove them around.  It was a way to give them a bit of a break.  It nauseates me when I see grown children taking advantage of their parents

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 5

I must be a super hero because I can hold a full time job, grocery shop, cook, clean the house AND wash, dry and fold clothes (hub is semi-retired, albiet disabled, but  he still pitches in with what he's able to do, Lord bless him!)  If you're going to live scott-free off your older/retired parents then you better make their lives as easy as possible.  When I use to go visit my elderly parents in FL for a week, I did rest and relax, but I did their grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry and drove them around.  It was a way to give them a bit of a break.  It nauseates me when I see grown children taking advantage of their parents

It's a Tide commercial FFS. What are they supposed to be doing? I mean I don't love it either but most families pitch in and help each other out.

• Love 7

There's another one where it's the middle generation couple doing the storytelling, and the grandparents' laundry is including among what they're folding.  (Not the same family, another wow, there's a lot more laundry with more people in the house now, but Tide makes it okay scenario.)

Maybe there's one big hamper all the household's laundry goes into, and then they take turns doing it.  That's how it was when when I was growing up; when it came time to do laundry, it was sorted by what kind it was, not who it belonged to.  A regular load was everyone's clothes that could be washed on regular, a delicate load was everyone's stuff that needed the gentle cycle, etc.  No one did "their own" laundry, but everyone did laundry. 

(Now, this was a family of three, not the oodles of people making up the multi-generational households in these commercials.  I'm just saying communal laundry doesn't automatically mean one person is always the one stuck doing it; it could be a chore that's rotated.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

I didn't want to watch the Super Bowl last night so instead I caught up with a movie that I had dvr'd at Christmas time. So glad that Christmas is over that I don't have to see the Mercedes commercial with the little rabbit doll stuck the front of the truck but then pulls himself off and crawls through the snow to the little girl who picks him up and Carries him to the Mercedes with her. This commercial upset me all Christmas I would turn the channel so quick it was worse than one of the ASPCA commercials that they're always showing and we're talking about a stuffed animal here not a real one. Come on Mercedes give me a break I can't afford a Mercedes and now you make me cry.

• Love 4
On 1/15/2021 at 5:31 PM, knuckles491 said:

Hello all.  I just discovered this page, so it may have been mentioned before.  What's with all the people who are dancing in commercials?  People in real life don't dance in their kitchens and living rooms.  At least once I day I am seeing people dance about vitamins, clear skin, life insurance, nutrisystem, you name it.  

I asked this same question in here a long time ago, and got the same type of responses you did.  Apparently everyone dances when they're happy,  or something good happens, or they like a product, except for you and me. 

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 2/7/2021 at 8:38 AM, knuckles491 said:

Also, there's no way father would ever put on a tutu and let me paint his fingernails.

I have to disagree with this one too. I have a friends, in the early 90s, their daughters were young, they have pictures of daughters painting dad's nails, putting curlers in his hair. But my favorite pictures of them is when dad lay in the driveway and the girls drew chalk outlines, they were so funny and cute. 

I got distracted reading posts that I forgot what I came here about. I'm not a Rachel Ray fan, but the pet food ad she does in her commercial kitchen where she asks, "who's hungry? I said, who's hungry?" annoys the stuffing out of me. There's just something about the way she says those lines. It's not convincing, it strikes me as superficial (I'm not sure that's exactly the word I want, but it will do for now). 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I asked this same question in here a long time ago, and got the same type of responses you did.  Apparently everyone dances when they're happy,  or something good happens, or they like a product, except for you and me. 

Dancing is the work of the devil! The DEVIL, I tells ya! 😉

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

This Car Shield commercial seems to be running constantly, and I mean constantly.  Just about every commercial break.  Sometimes less is more.   They need to give it a rest.

But what if your car warranty is about to expire?

• LOL 5
On 2/8/2021 at 6:58 AM, Haleth said:

Yeah, but Daveed Diggs.

Oh yeah!  Maybe I'll see you in the Snowpiercer thread!

7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

But what if your car warranty is about to expire?

No problem.  Just wait for one of the many automated spam phone calls regarding you 'expired warranty'.  I'm still getting them for a car I turned in in March!

7 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I'm not a Rachel Ray fan, but the pet food ad she does in her commercial kitchen where she asks, "who's hungry? I said, who's hungry?" annoys the stuffing out of me.

The way she says just about anything  - especially her cutesy 'catch words' delish- makes me want to smush her face in a bowlful of Nutrish

15 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Apparently everyone dances when they're happy,  or something good happens, or they like a product, except for you and me. 

Like the Paragard commercial where you have such an awesome IUD that you have to dance around the produce section of your supermarket to celebrate it?

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I suppose it was inevitable, but there have been a lot of local funeral home commercials airing lately.   For some reason, and I am not sure exactly why, but they really do rub me the wrong way.   At least they aren't showing coffins like cars in a car dealership commercial, so they haven't gone that far with it.  Still, they feel inappropriate,  Pandemic or no pandemic, I don't like them.

There have been an abundance of ads for alcohol and drug awareness centers as well.......hmmm......

I bolded your post as my son works part time at a Goodwill and someone tried to donate a casket.  Had it in the bed of his truck.   Son's first question?  "Is there anyone in there?"  And no, they could not take the donation, lol!!!

• LOL 5