Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I hate the Sheba commercial with the woman nuzzling her cat and trying to ignore her child. “There’s bandages in the cabinet” might be translating into “screw off, the cat needs attention”. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Fiona said:

I hate the Sheba commercial with the woman nuzzling her cat and trying to ignore her child. “There’s bandages in the cabinet” might be translating into “screw off, the cat needs attention”. 

It doesn't really bother me because the kid doesn't sound that hurt or particularly young. But it doesn't make mom look too good.

• Love 5

No mention here of the Paramount+ Super Bowl campaign?  Of course, I’m not sure it actually annoyed or irritated me, but I thought it was desperately weak for an important rebranding of a streaming service.  Like, they didn’t even affirmatively associate most of those stars with the shows that they were on, did they?  (I may have missed it with divided attention.)

And the green screening of those people together in a very lame and cheesy way did nobody any favors, especially Colbert and Corden.  Maybe it’s just because I am monumentally uninterested in the service’s slate of offerings, except perhaps Strange New Worlds, the upcoming Star Trek show.

• Love 1

Is that CBS All Access?  I got it for Picard and didn't see another damn thing on it I wanted to watch. Ditched it when I finished Picard. I'll get it again when a new season arrives, but only for that few days it takes me to watch the one show.

I saw (Uber eats?) an ad with Myers & Carvey doing Wayne's World schtick.  Those two are not aging well.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is that CBS All Access?  I got it for Picard and didn't see another damn thing on it I wanted to watch. Ditched it when I finished Picard. I'll get it again when a new season arrives, but only for that few days it takes me to watch the one show.

I saw (Uber eats?) an ad with Myers & Carvey doing Wayne's World schtick.  Those two are not aging well.

Yes, CBS All Access is being rebranded as Paramount+ because All Access has not really taken off in subscriber count.  But I think for a campaign like that, you’ve got to show some exciting clips and actual titles of what you are getting by signing up. I’d wager the majority of people who saw that didn’t even know that Patrick Stewart has a new(ish) show called Star Trek Picard, so what do they care that he was narrating that commercial?  None of the service’s shows are buzz-worthy in the way some things on Netflix or Disney+ are, IMO, though.

Aw, Mike Myers is 57; Dana Carvey is 65, and Wayne’s World came out almost 30 years ago, so I think they looked fine.  Their commercial is probably the only Super Bowl commercial that I even chuckled at, just because the babies in Wayne and Garth gear were so cute. 

• Love 3

Uber Eats commercials have gone straight downhill since the original Mark Hamill/Patrick Stewart  ads.

Not everything works. 

My suggestion is, if they really need to keep adding spokespeople, call the Manning  brothers,  they can pitch anything. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

Uber Eats commercials have gone straight downhill since the original Mark Hamill/Patrick Stewart  ads.

The ones with Simone Biles are too awful to watch.  Not so much her but the dude imitating her.

2 hours ago, tres bien said:

My suggestion is, if they really need to keep adding spokespeople, call the Manning  brothers,  they can pitch anything. 

Please do!  If only to stop Peyton from doing another Nationwide commercial with Brad Paisley.  An Uber commercial with them and maybe having Archie come in to break them up would be a hoot.  Wish there'd be a way to fit Tom Brady into the mix since both brothers are his nemesis

17 hours ago, Fiona said:

I hate the Sheba commercial with the woman nuzzling her cat and trying to ignore her child.

For some reason, this kind of behavior reminds me of an older commercial charging parents to get their kids to move more where a young girl of around 9 asks her mother for a couple of dollars.  Mom sees her wallet on the table and, in order to get her daughter to exercise more, has the girl going on a wild goose chase all over the house looking for it.  Hey mom - instead of getting your child to exercise using deception, why don't you put down what you're doing and go for a walk with her instead of making her awkwardly (and noisily) stomp her feet up and down the stairs?

• Love 6

I keep hoping there's a sequel in which the teen shouts back to the Sheba mom,' Mom, the cat won't pick your nursing home when you're old  but I will so if you want me to pick a good one. . '

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It doesn't really bother me because the kid doesn't sound that hurt or particularly young. But it doesn't make mom look too good.

Yeah, nothing in what the kid says or her tone indicates she needs the mother for anything. Why can't she clean her own cut and put a bandage on it?

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Yeah, nothing in what the kid says or her tone indicates she needs the mother for anything. Why can't she clean her own cut and put a bandage on it?

Apparently for the same reason 10 -12 year olds need mommy to "be ok to play".

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 2/9/2021 at 12:26 PM, Moose135 said:

But what if your car warranty is about to expire?

Hello! I've been trying to get in touch with you about your extended car warranty...

On 2/9/2021 at 4:57 AM, friendperidot said:

I'm not a Rachel Ray fan, but the pet food ad she does in her commercial kitchen where she asks, "who's hungry? I said, who's hungry?" annoys the stuffing out of me. There's just something about the way she says those lines. It's not convincing, it strikes me as superficial (I'm not sure that's exactly the word I want, but it will do for now). 

Something ob Rachel Ray has always rubbed me the wrong way, beginning with her "cute" catchphrases. It didn't help that both times my cat has eaten Nutrish 🙄, she's vomited it all up. Not sure if this is true or not,  but I was told it contains onion and stuff that's not good for pets.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

Yeah, nothing in what the kid says or her tone indicates she needs the mother for anything.

Same here.  I figure the kid is one of those who likes wearing bandages whenever remotely "injured", so the mom's response to "I fell" is okay, get your bandages.  Because this happens all the time, so of course she doesn't jump up and help - there's no need.  Thus I love her delivery on "Take two" when the kid tries to ramp it up by saying there's actual blood this time.

I get that it's a horrible commercial if you think she's actually ignoring a child in need of help to instead gaze at her cat, but since I don't, I find it funny because of her line delivery.

• Love 8
On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2021 at 11:19 AM, Blergh said:

Oscar Mayer Father-Daughter Mustard Fight. They squirt mustard at each other and all over the table include the unopened Oscar Meyer hotdog package but instead of chastising them for having wasted mustard and made a big mess, the mother just slightly rolls her eyes and chuckles. Lady, it's your call but there's still the issue of the big mess that someone is going to have to clean up so you'd better order  them hop to it ASAP (and risk being thought of as a 'mean mommy')  instead of just encouraging them to think they were cute- with you being the one to wind up cleaning it up.

UGH! Why do so many ads encourage kids to be brats?

I'm kind of amused by how the daughter plays it off as abstract expressionism, and am a little impressed that she knows about it, but otherwise yeah, clean up that mess, kid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Fiona said:

She’s not even giving the cat any attention until she gives it some food at the end of the commercial. During the bandage/child neglect incident, she’s flipping through a magazine. 🙀

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2021 at 4:53 AM, icemiser69 said:

I suppose it was inevitable, but there have been a lot of local funeral home commercials airing lately.   For some reason, and I am not sure exactly why, but they really do rub me the wrong way.   At least they aren't showing coffins like cars in a car dealership commercial, so they haven't gone that far with it.  Still, they feel inappropriate,  Pandemic or no pandemic, I don't like them.

I haven't noticed any increase.  There are normally a few of those "end of life planning" commercials on the channels I watch.  Doesn't mean I enjoy them, though.  And I've actually noticed that there have been fewer drug/alcohol treatment ones.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2021 at 12:51 PM, ctlady said:

Like the Paragard commercial where you have such an awesome IUD that you have to dance around the produce section of your supermarket to celebrate it?

The only reason you'd find me groovin' in the produce aisle is that the supermarket is playing a great song.  (I've been known to stand in front of the ice cream case in the local WAWA dancing to something playing overhead.)

23 hours ago, Fiona said:

“There’s bandages in the cabinet” might be translating into “screw off, the cat needs attention”. 

That's how cats see it.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
3 hours ago, janie jones said:

Apparently for the same reason 10 -12 year olds need mommy to "be ok to play"

Or needing them to be on time and glued to the bleachers for their sporting event - Crohns, be damned!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, MagicEyes said:

She’s not even giving the cat any attention until she gives it some food at the end of the commercial. During the bandage/child neglect incident, she’s flipping through a magazine. 🙀

But they're spending quality time together and Kitty feels the love.

• Love 4

OMG, the Hyundai Santa Fe commercial. Both Mom and Dad ask a kid who is old enough to know better if he has to go to the bathroom before going out with Mom, then he wets himself because he couldn't wait??  That kid should have to walk around the mall (or go to school or whatever they're doing) with pissy pants after that little stunt.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

The commercial for Always Discreet where the woman, clad in a tight white skirt, says "no matter what I wore I worried people would see my  bladder-leak underwear".  Everytime this commercial comes on I have to tell the woman - perhaps if you're worried then  a tight white skirt isn't your best choice.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 20
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, bankerchick said:

OMG, the Hyundai Santa Fe commercial. Both Mom and Dad ask a kid who is old enough to know better if he has to go to the bathroom before going out with Mom, then he wets himself because he couldn't wait??  That kid should have to walk around the mall (or go to school or whatever they're doing) with pissy pants after that little stunt.

I know! The smirk on his face just makes me  want to smack him.

• Love 4
On 2/9/2021 at 1:12 PM, Browncoat said:

Not even Daveed Diggs could inspire me to watch Snowpiercer.  Even the ads for Snowpiercer annoy me (topic!).

I can't believe they made that into a series...

• Love 7
On 2/10/2021 at 7:28 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I do not remember EVER "playing" with my mother unless it was checkers.

Yeah, I played actual board games and cards with my mom, and we did some crafty things together, but playing with toys or play-acting?  Never.  

And I gotta tell ya, when my kids were young I hated playing with toys with them (unless it was building with blocks, Legos, etc.). They learned quite early to play by themselves.  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Yeah, I played actual board games and cards with my mom, and we did some crafty things together, but playing with toys or play-acting?  Never.  

And I gotta tell ya, when my kids were young I hated playing with toys with them (unless it was building with blocks, Legos, etc.). They learned quite early to play by themselves.  

Same here. We bought our son a really nice swing set when he was about three or four. I always knew where he was by the various squeaks it made. I played some card games with my parents and my mom once let me and all my little friends play dress up with her old, fancy party dresses but she did not join in, she was too busy doing mom things.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

And I gotta tell ya, when my kids were young I hated playing with toys with them (unless it was building with blocks, Legos, etc.).

I grew up playing Barbies and paper dolls but by the time my daughter was into Barbie I had clearly forgotten how to play!  I basically brushed their hair, changed their clothes and encouraged her to invite her friends over so I didn't have to 'play'.  Now with my granddaughter it's even worse - I buy her all the Barbie stuff she wants but I just cannot even begin to pretend to enjoy playing Barbies.  Gotta admit next to watching paint dry I can't think of anything more boring so I'm back to brushing hair and changing clothes again and thinking up excuses why I can't play!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4

I hate the Tide “Just to be sure” commercial. The kid just goes around the house spraying everything multiple times “Just to be sure”. Obviously, this kid doesn’t know that over-spraying anything can do more harm than having a few germs in the house.

Why do advertisers think that spoiled, obnoxious kids are cute?  Kraft cheese is the worst. If I had smart talked to my mom like the kid who says “Then we’ll sleep here” when the mom told her that they won’t be allowed to leave the table if they don’t finish their dinner, my dad would have given us the back of his hand and then put a belt around our middle to keep us in the chair.  No way in hell would mom rush off to make us Mac and cheese.  I don’t find nasty kids at all adorable. 

I really don’t want anyone to know if I have “Poise in my pants”. That’s just a dumb commercial and an even worse tag line. 

• Love 17

Autotrader has a commericial which is running again/now featuring a father at home with the kids who, thankfully, are off camera but audible, and the Autotrader Representative via Zoom call / video chat.  The kids are running around the house without pants and the father asks the rep if he's wearing pants.  Stupid, and doesn't say anything about Autotrader's benefits like the previous ads.

• Love 2

The General has a new series of commercials with people coming up to Shaq (apparently as the personification of The General Insurance Company) literally begging his forgiveness because they judged the company on their commercials but they're actually a very reliable insurer and can they please, please, please come back.   Shaq refuses because he's been telling them they're a good company all along.   So...who approved this?  Was it the same ad company that made ads apparently so bad and misleading that they require a new series to counteract them?   And what's the message to customers/potential customers?  Sorry you didn't get our ads before but since you didn't we don't want you?      

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 2/10/2021 at 1:03 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Annoyed at Cardi B.'s total lack of enunciation, i.e. leaving the last letter off both words. All I hear is "ea loco."

• Love 5

It should hurt to be this stupid "Consumer is right in their name so you know Consumer Cellular is going to be customer centered." Yes, because corporations always are true to their monikers.  Just ask the We Would Never Fuck You Over Insurance Co.

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

People wear lipstick under their mask? 

~raises hand~ I go into the office one day a week and am at my desk the majority of the time where I can take my mask off. I have to put it on to go to the copier and stuff. But it's one of the very few time these days that I get/want to do a full face of makeup. I swear by Revlon's ColorStay Overtime lipstick, which is the one that has a clear sealing gloss at one end. Can't vouch for the regular ColorStay not "Overtime" kind because I haven't tried those. The sealer is amazing although it doesn't seem to work with other brands, as evidenced by the smear on the inside of my mask just walking from my car and then the short elevator trip up to the floor I work on the one time I tried. Even the makeup sealing spray on my face isn't enough for lipstick. Which sucks because I have some favorite lipsticks that I can no longer wear when I go anywhere. I did buy a different brand of these Cool Turtle masks and it's fine for short-time use and it is a nice change from sucking the cloth mask in and out as I breathe! However, when I had to wait a few hours at urgent care it started to annoy me so I eventually removed it. I didn't think to check if it left a pattern all over my face, like those old jelly shoes used to do to my feet!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

People wear lipstick under their mask? 

I guess they want us to believe people do; you know how commercials often try to bulk up their lists of the great things the products do (typically by “cleverly” rewording a previously listed thing—some shampoo or conditioner commercial comes to mind for this). But if people did wear lipstick with a mask, why would they be remotely surprised/dismayed (as conveyed by the actress) that it would get messed up? 

I wonder when we’ll start seeing commercials for mask-proof makeup?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Is anyone else sick of ALL the exercise commercials?  I don’t care if it’s for some bike or a mirror, there are so freaking many. And why are all the women dressed in outfits that leave little to the imagination while the men are in baggy outfits?  The men need to be wearing tight bike shorts, lol. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8