Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

That's one commercial that always makes me smile, much like the earlier Geico commercial with Salt-N-Pepa. I'll never buy Geico's insurance, but I do like a lot of their commercial!

My favorite part of that commercial is when the dad starts dancing and the daughter rolls her eyes and walks away.

Most of their commercials are great, but like you, would never buy their insurance.  They nickel and dime you and require the use of aftermarket or used parts when repairing vehicles, regardless of the age of the vehicle.  Also, they don't like to pay the shop for the whole job.

• Useful 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think Eliot is having the same problem I do when I hear the VO say "and many people achieve remission". It's being phrased in an exclusionary way.

I will have the see the specific commercial y'all are talking about.  I agreed with Eliot's initial post about some taglines in commercials but I don't know the specific ad for cancer survivors/pharmaceutical.  I agreed because saying you're a thriver just sounds stupid.  I especially hate the Kaiser Permanente ad campaign going on for years now with the tagline "Thrive."  Until then...

And call me dumb as a box of rocks but I still don't get what Pat Boone has to do with the dick box and any royalties he should get because of it.  Is it one of his songs?  😖 😧  I saw the SNL vid posted here, but must've missed that particular episode back in the day if I was still watching SNL at all!  😕

• Love 1

McDonald's either sacked the creepy sounding guy or are adding to their repertoire, but there's two new Ba Da Ba Ba Bah sign offs, one with a young white woman's voice over and another with a black guys voice over.  I hate the ba da ba ba bah thing no matter who says it!

• Love 4
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think Eliot is having the same problem I do when I hear the VO say "and many people achieve remission". It's being phrased in an exclusionary way.

It may be that weird medical lingo for patient-facing material (I read it all day, 5 days a week). Patient-facing stuff is legally regulated to be carefully worded to a fifth-grade reading level (or maybe junior high level—I forget!), so many of the word choices are...kind of dumb.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, SerenityNow721 said:

I’ve gone back a few pages and have seen that a lot of people hate the same commercials that I do, but I didn’t see a post for my #1 most hated:  baby talking adults eating Haribou gummies. Anyone out there wanna hate on this with me?

Crap, is that abomination still around?  I haven't seen it in quite some time, but I join you in your seething hatred -- back when it did haunt my programs, a couple of times I feared I'd hurt myself lunging for the remote to protect my ears, blood pressure, and very sanity.

• Love 8

From several pages back:

On 1/25/2021 at 5:53 PM, Brookside said:

Hello all.  I just discovered this page, so it may have been mentioned before.  What's with all the people who are dancing in commercials?  People in real life don't dance in their kitchens and living rooms.

My husband and I dance in our kitchen or living rooms all the time.  But we have also been know to break into a dance in a store as well.  We're that annoying couple that likes to have fun regardless. Our (adult) kids will roll their eyes and smile.  We're old enough that we don't really care what someone thinks. 🤷‍♀️

Re irritating commercials:

I have this weird ability to tune out most commercials but there are some that manage to get through to me.... Any of the Liberty Mutual and Wayfair ads are annoying but the one that has me grabbing the remote to hit mute (if live) is Nature Made's Princess Toast commercial.  It's Terrible! 

My husband loathes the "Lovely Day" commercial by Allstate where the lady rolls out of bed, out of her house and down the hill.   

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Crap, is that abomination still around?  I haven't seen it in quite some time, but I join you in your seething hatred -- back when it did haunt my programs, a couple of times I feared I'd hurt myself lunging for the remote to protect my ears, blood pressure, and very sanity.

No. There's a new one. They look like they're around a library table, still sounding like Kaleb in the Shriner's Hospital ads.

• LOL 3
On 2/19/2021 at 3:44 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Count yourself lucky. There used to be an old photo floating around with the implication that Lonely Island might owe Boone some royalties for using that "dick in a box" idea.

Google "Pat Boones dick in a box" and you'll find it. Basically he's got a really tiny dick. 

• LOL 4
25 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Hating that damn Lay's potato chip commercial, with some comedic actress (I think) that seems to never end, where she says "I got some Lay's Po-tay-to chips" in a weird voice.   

That's Tracee Ellis Ross. She is Diana Ross' daughter and that commercial bugs the crap out of me too. I hate those stupid voices.

• Love 15

Yeah, Google is Your Friend.  Why didn't I think of that?  I did, but just not the right word combo.  (I'm still working on my Doctorate of Medicine at the University of Google.)  Pat Boone bashing became a cottage industry in the early 70's after he became publicly Christian.  The truth of the photo is not authenticated as being PB but could be a look-alike.  Snopes.com does not recognize the question.  Probably a hoax, but since I've never pondered the size of Mr. Boone's family jewels, I couldn't care less.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

The Geico motorcycle commercial with the woman rider singing "Build Me Up Buttercup."  Why can't she sing "Wild Thing?"  All of the men in all their other commercials sang "Wild Thing."  No, let's give the woman rider a peppy feel good song.

• Love 6

Boone didn't come out as a Christian in the 70s.  He was ALWAYS a Christian. He wouldn't kiss his "romantic partners" in movies because they weren't his wife. ANN-MARGRET!  He wouldn't kiss Ann-Margret in "State Fair."  What family values!   He was always mockable for his white-bread interpretations of what was call "race music" back then.  The private parts in a box is another story altogether. EEEK!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Boone didn't come out as a Christian in the 70s.  He was ALWAYS a Christian. He wouldn't kiss his "romantic partners" in movies because they weren't his wife. ANN-MARGRET!  He wouldn't kiss Ann-Margret in "State Fair."  What family values!   He was always mockable for his white-bread interpretations of what was call "race music" back then.  The private parts in a box is another story altogether. EEEK!!

Yes, Boone was always Christian and played it goody-goody two shoes from the beginning of his singing and acting career, which started in the 50s.  He became known for being a conservative Christian when he publicly appeared with various Evangelical religious preachers and leaders.  He was always clean cut and squeaky clean.

2 hours ago, madmax said:

The Geico motorcycle commercial with the woman rider singing "Build Me Up Buttercup."  Why can't she sing "Wild Thing?"  All of the men in all their other commercials sang "Wild Thing."  No, let's give the woman rider a peppy feel good song.

Are you kidding me?  "Wild Thing" is now used in a Pampers commercial!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, madmax said:

It is an unusual choice but I find myself singing along.  Hadn't heard that song in decades.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Multiple times I have wanted to post about that commercial, but have totally forgotten about it once I have hopped online.  Yes that commercial is obnoxious.   I think they are trying to go for "the child in all of us" theme in that commercial, but the way they approached it just doesn't land quite right.

That commercial made me want to break the TV. I think one of the adults in child voice uses the word "gooder." Not funny or cute. 

17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Harry & David commercials have been airing quite a bit lately.  I am not impressed.  I do wonder why they are airing now.  I don't recall seeing them leading up to Christmas.  Valentine's day has gone by and Easter isn't until April.

Every time I hear that name I remember a friend who sent me a cheesecake as a gift from them. It was one of those that had multiple slices of different flavors. They shipped it UPS on a Thursday so it sat in a truck for the entire weekend. When the UPS driver threw it in my hallway, the bottom of the box had wet stains on it. When I opened it, it was a melted mess. So I called them and I don't think I've ever spoken to a more rude and nasty person in my life. They did not care. They refused to speak to me about it at all since I did not purchase it but were not nice in any way on the phone. So I told my friend, and she called for a refund and had to go through her cc company to finally get the money back. I'd never buy anything from them. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, madmax said:

Doesn't every commercial use a different song? One of them used "Here I Go Again." I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I can't imagine they'd use one song for multiple commercials and two songs for two others.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 5

I think almost every one of a certain age sings along to "Build Me Up, Buttercup."  It's just a great song to sing along to.  But, yes, they did use Wild Thing multiple times - the guy getting measured for a suit who aggravates the tailor by continuing to sing & wiggle around, and the dude in the DMV who still owes them $48.50, wild thing.

I have discovered that I don't get to see ALL the CarShield ads (lucky me!)  An ad for a local ambulance-chaser ended a fraction of a second too early, and I saw the very end of a CarShield ad.  Whoo hoooo!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, janie jones said:

Doesn't every commercial use a different song? One of them used "Here I Go Again." I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I can't imagine they'd use one song for multiple commercials and two songs for two others.

30 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think almost every one of a certain age sings along to "Build Me Up, Buttercup."  It's just a great song to sing along to.  But, yes, they did use Wild Thing multiple times - the guy getting measured for a suit who aggravates the tailor by continuing to sing & wiggle around, and the dude in the DMV who still owes them $48.50, wild thing.

@janie jones is correct, they did use "Here I Go Again" for one commercial.  I had forgotten about that one.

But @Prevailing Wind is correct in that they used "Wild Thing" twice.  And yes, "Build Me Up, Buttercup" is a catchy, fun tune, but I don't like how the woman got the catchy, fun tune.  Why couldn't she have  "Wild Thing?" or "Born to Be Wild?"  or "Midnight Rider?"

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The last thing I want to have happen is for some dude to sing about this in my face while on an airplane.

It would be worse if he were singing it to someone shitting sitting next to me.  Since I am afraid to fly and am claustrophobic, I guess I have nothing to worry about.

I wouldn't want anyone near me singing that song on a plane, in a train, in a car or in a bar.  I would not like that song at all.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, madmax said:

@janie jones is correct, they did use "Here I Go Again" for one commercial.  I had forgotten about that one.

But @Prevailing Wind is correct in that they used "Wild Thing" twice.  And yes, "Build Me Up, Buttercup" is a catchy, fun tune, but I don't like how the woman got the catchy, fun tune.  Why couldn't she have  "Wild Thing?" or "Born to Be Wild?"  or "Midnight Rider?"

That's the song that's used in a Pampers commercial:  "Born to Be Wild" not "Wild Thing" as I said before upthread.  I got my Wilds mixed up.  😛  Sorry! 

• LOL 3

Speaking of medical lingo, ugh. My work made me stress-cry today! The editorial department is small so we are “shared services” among all the account teams. Each team obviously hopes that their clients’ work will be a top priority and the various project managers don’t communicate with each other about workload, and all just pile on with the tightest deadlines. Some days, man...

ETA: oh my goodness, days later I realize that I totally posted this on the incorrect forum! I’m sorry, mods—my peeve/commercial wires crossed!

Edited by TattleTeeny
On 2/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, madmax said:

I was happy they used a new song, but I see what you are saying.

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Of a certain age?  I’d say of any age.  My favorite part of the commercial, unlike the others of the type, is that the shop employee keeps the song going and all of them join in.

Edited by elle
  • Love 6

Ugh, the Carl's Jr. "Big Carl" is back, which means the commercials with the woman (in voiceover) talking "sexy" to her burger are also back.  Carl's Jr. likes to run ads twice in every local break, with only one or two ads for other products in between them, so there is no escaping it if I'm watching live.

• Love 3
On 2/19/2021 at 11:16 AM, smittykins said:

As much as I try to keep my mind from going there, I can’t help but wonder what Pat may(or may not)have on under those bubbles.

Thanks for that - guess I'll be skipping lunch today... 😉

• LOL 6

The Facebook Groups commercial where the individual in the beginning is trying to rock a pair of shiny, silver shorts.  I don't care how much a slave to fashion you are - no amount of fierceness will convince me that they don't look like anything but a shiny, silver diaper

And while we're at it - can Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis and Shaggy take their Cheetos and GO?  At least the Flaming Lays Chips commercial to Nelly's 'It's Hot In Herrrre' was catchy and un-annoying.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:08 AM, Callietwo said:

My husband loathes the "Lovely Day" commercial by Allstate where the lady rolls out of bed, out of her house and down the hill.   

Your husband and I have that in common.  I can't even stand the song.  When I first heard I was wondering how long till he ran out of breath singing 'Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay'

On 2/21/2021 at 5:21 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

Comcast has a commercial for what I think is some sort of black channel I hate b/c they use the word "sheroes" instead of "heroines". Gawdamn, is this becoming a thing like "melty"? 

[Regina George voice]  "Comcast, stop trying to make 'sheroes' happen.  It's not going to happen!" [/Regina George voice)

Regarding the Emgality commercial discussed a page or two back with the little girl asking if her mom can play with her.  The look on her face when she prances around the back yard with a faux-sceptor while mom plays ladies maid and holds up her train - ugh - I want to punt her across the grass.  The Golden Retriever dressed as a dragon is the only thing that saves the commercial

• Love 10
On 2/19/2021 at 10:41 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I don’t hate the commercial with the “scoop, there it is” song in it (actually, it makes me laugh), but why are they already preparing bowls of ice cream when the lady is still cooking the regular dinner?

Life is short - eat dessert first!

Edited by Moose135
  • LOL 3
  • Love 18
20 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

That's the song that's used in a Pampers commercial:  "Born to Be Wild" not "Wild Thing" as I said before upthread.  I got my Wilds mixed up.  😛  Sorry! 

OKAY!  We have a Wheel of Fortune "Before and After: - Born to be Wild Thing.

The woman gets "Build Me Up, Buttercup" because we don't need pseudo-penis songs to prove how tough we are.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

What's with all the commercials with screechy, annoying singers lately? I frequently don't pay attention to commercials, so I can't say what the product is for but there's one with a woman starts singing (I think maybe in the supermarket's frozen food section), and she goes to straight into screech-mode. I can't mute it fast enough. It's almost as bad as the guy singing about his Popeye's delivery. (There is another Popeye's commercial with a woman singing about her delivery that is much better; maybe it's that she's a better singer.)

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

What's with all the commercials with screechy, annoying singers lately? I frequently don't pay attention to commercials, so I can't say what the product is for but there's one with a woman starts singing (I think maybe in the supermarket's frozen food section), and she goes to straight into screech-mode. I can't mute it fast enough. It's almost as bad as the guy singing about his Popeye's delivery. (There is another Popeye's commercial with a woman singing about her delivery that is much better; maybe it's that she's a better singer.)

The Folgers coffee commercial is that absolute worst of the screechy singers right now.

• Love 8
On 2/18/2021 at 1:03 PM, Crashcourse said:

I hate all Car Shield commercials, but I especially hate the Ice-T one with that awful background music that seems to be playing on a loop.

I'm quoting myself because I saw another Ice-T commercial today and they used a different soundtrack.  The music was much more subdued and not annoying.  The ad agency must have heard me screaming. 😱

• LOL 4
On 2/13/2021 at 8:40 AM, MaryPatShelby said:

Yeah, I played actual board games and cards with my mom, and we did some crafty things together, but playing with toys or play-acting?  Never.  

And I gotta tell ya, when my kids were young I hated playing with toys with them (unless it was building with blocks, Legos, etc.). They learned quite early to play by themselves.  

This makes me feel like less of a terrible mother.  Unless we're both terrible mothers.

• Love 6

Not sure where to post a “things I appreciate in a commercial I don’t “, but here it goes.   I like the level of detail the set designers put into the LiMu commercial with zoom call, the commercial itself is annoying.  There is a photo of Mrs. LiMu visible behind LiMu among some other avian themed decor.  I do wonder on the detective’s side where is the photo of Mrs. Detective though.

Edited by elle
Punctuation
  • LOL 5

I have to admit to loving most of the Doug and Limu commercials; but a couple have been duds.  Watching Doug's head turn into a cat, an ear of corn, an English gentleman, etc., has entertained me.  But I must admit that Limu can be a bit scary if one was right next to him...one could get pecked or bopped.  Doug should ask for hazard pay when they are "together" in a commercial.

• Love 3