Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

There is a new GEICO commercial featuring Dick Vitale, who dumps a bucket of yellow liquid over his own head.  Please explain it to me like I'm a five-year old.  Thanks.

OMG! I Hate that commercial worse than snakes. How humiliating for everyone involved, including us. Especially us.

• Love 2

From discussions a few pages ago, I thought that the lady trying to get the people in the shop to sing along with Build Me Up, Buttercup was a take on a video - it's on YouTube, of a guy on LA freeways singing the song to radio/tape/CD, (it's an old video) in a very loud voice, windows down and encouraging people in other cars to sing along with him. Some do, some are rude, but I thought it was a rather cute video. 

And I still hate LiMu Emu and Doug - especially Doug. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

There is a new GEICO commercial featuring Dick Vitale, who dumps a bucket of yellow liquid over his own head.  Please explain it to me like I'm a five-year old.  Thanks.

He's dumping Gatorade on himself, like players do to their coach after a big win.  Vitale is a sports commentator, so he spends his whole audition saying things he'd say in that context, but which make no sense in talking about insurance.  The final, most absurd, act is doing the Gatorade shower.  I love the female casting agent's reaction to it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

He's dumping Gatorade on himself, like players do to their coach after a big win.  Vitale is a sports commentator, so he spends his whole audition saying things he'd say in that context, but which make no sense in talking about insurance.  The final, most absurd, act is doing the Gatorade shower.  I love the female casting agent's reaction to it.

Thanks.  I didn't know if it was Gatorade, champagne or urine.  I've heard the name but have not lead my life as a play-to-play sports spectator so ...  Another insurance company commercial that has nothing to do with insurance.  Got it.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 1

I, for one, am grateful for the douche commercials of my youth, because they brought me the term "not-so-fresh feeling," which I use on a semi-regular base

6 hours ago, dleighg said:

I guess if I try it myself a certain kind of T can sound like an R and an L. All depends on where the tongue and the teeth meet. And is that TRUE about Italians?

Are you a Spanish speaker by chance? Because one of the ways a T can be pronounced is the same as one of the ways an R can be pronounced in Spanish.

Little girl who yells out "I wanna bucket of chicken"!  Cue Enya music.  World peace is achievable through cheesy pasta.

Then the other little snagglepuss girl that yells "Hey, Hamlin I like your PJs".  Just want to slap her across her snotty little face.  It's so bad we rush for the remote to mute her.

Burl Ives and Edith Piaf songs - I suppose I'm one of 20 people still left that remembers them.  Too bad the commercials annoy.  Stupid deer in the headlights look on the father when he sees the sonogram.  And if I see that jello mold dessert almost fall off that car roof again I'm going to scream.

Chakalaka-chackalaka-chakalaka.  I laugh at the stupid dancing in spite of myself.

And I laugh AT myself when I see Dr. Rick tell that woman if she can't sit down she has too many pillows, LOL  It never gets old!

"I'm going to have a BIIIIIG lunch and just a snack for dinner"....Yeah....that's me again.  Except not on speakerphone.

Is there a joke inside the bag?  Ugh, someone just stick a fork in Daym Drops and put HIM in the bag, PLEEZE.

"I'm gonna leave the store in crutches" - When owning a small business becomes a STUPID COMMERCIAL..

But seriously, did you know you may be eligible for a NEW Medicare Advantage Plan?  For the 55,000th time already?  If we didn't know by now we'd need to be put in a home.  Forget it, we already need to be put in a home - we're getting dementia just from the constant bombardment.

Chakalaka-chakalaka-chakalaka

OK, I can blame this all on the pandemic.  At home being driven crazy by stupid commercials.

Edited by Yeah No
  • LOL 16
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Here you go.

Guy Fieri

Wow, what a douchebag! I think he's even worse than when I hate-watched his shows on Food Network, which amazes me.

BTW, I am now suddenly seeing his King's Hawai'ian bread commercial in heavy rotation here.  Guy, you are no a food (sandwich) guru!

10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I was surprised to learn he's still alive, bayBEE!

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Burl Ives and Edith Piaf songs - I suppose I'm one of 20 people still left that remembers them.  Too bad the commercials annoy.  Stupid deer in the headlights look on the father when he sees the sonogram.  And if I see that jello mold dessert almost fall off that car roof again I'm going to scream.

Holy crap! I saw that commercial with the Edith Piaf song in Spanish the other night on Tubi! How weird.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

He's a sportscaster. In football (mostly) the winning coach will get the Gatorade dumped over him in celebration.  That's all I've got.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

He's a sportscaster. In football (mostly) the winning coach will get the Gatorade dumped over him in celebration.  That's all I've got.

We really are an advanced society, aren't we? 🤣🤣

Feeling so proud right now.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 2/27/2021 at 5:29 PM, dleighg said:

Awhile back some of us were talking about that drug for "stomach issues" with the pop group whose lead singer keep leaving to go to the bathroom. The issue was that they never actually sing a song, they just go "ah ah ah ah, ah ah ah AH."

Well lately I've been getting one single Spanish language commercial for a car, chevrolet I think. Note that I don't speak Spanish, don't watch Univision, etc. so I have no clue why I'm getting this ad. But anyway, it's your typical car commercial, with lots of good ol' Americana like lifting hay bales into pickup trucks, and pretty scenery of corn fields. But one scene has a family in the car singing. But all they sing is "Ay ya Ay ya."

Seems the same cheap scheme for not wanting to actually pay for real music.

Every now and then, I, too, get a Spanish-language ad for no explicable reason. The shows are in English, the other ads are in English - why would some one who needs a Spanish commercial be watching that channel in the first place?

I get an occasional Spanish car commercial and some other one in Spanish that I can't remember. I obviously am not paying attention and they don't bother me. Mostly I see them on a cable station or on Pluto, not on antenna shows.But the ones that make me go huh? are car dealer ads in North Carolina or Texas. I'm in Oklahoma. But they all look alike.

On 2/25/2021 at 3:02 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

There is a commercial for some car or another (yeah the commercial is really effective) anyway it's all about a mother racing to get her kid - who had to be at least 5 or 6 -  to a bathroom.  I could have sworn the commercial ended with the kid smirking because he has obviously  wet himself in the back seat of the car yet yesterday and again today the commercial is exactly as I remember except at the end the mother is shown fast walking the kid away from the car and presumably towards a public bathroom.  Did the makers get the message that the original commercial was totally obnoxious or did I dream up the original ending?

You're not dreaming.  I just saw the commercial again and they have definitely changed the ending.  No surprise, that kid was way too freaking old to be wetting his pants in the car. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 2/27/2021 at 8:23 PM, Bastet said:

I get WHY he did  it (and not for a moment thought the yellow liquid  he poured on himself was the type that that results from sports drinks,etc.). However, I'm surprised none of the casting agents didn't pipe up needing the floor mopped (and suggest Mr. Vitale make a beeline to a shower)  after he did it! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1
On 2/28/2021 at 2:55 AM, Yeah No said:

Little girl who yells out "I wanna bucket of chicken"!  Cue Enya music.  World peace is achievable through cheesy pasta.

Then the other little snagglepuss girl that yells "Hey, Hamlin I like your PJs".  Just want to slap her across her snotty little face.  It's so bad we rush for the remote to mute her.

The first one needs a slap and the second one needs to just go away.  They play that commercial too much.  But I do like Hamlin's "Pjs?" reaction

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

He's dumping Gatorade on himself, like players do to their coach after a big win.  Vitale is a sports commentator, so he spends his whole audition saying things he'd say in that context, but which make no sense in talking about insurance.

I'm surprised they chose Vitale for this commercial as I do believe the Gatorade Shower became popular with the 1986 NY Giants who began showering coach Bill Parcells with it after their wins.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

I get WHY he did  it (and not for a moment though the yellow liquid  he poured on himself was the type that that results from sports drinks,etc.). However, I'm surprised none of the casting agents didn't pipe up needing the floor mopped (and suggest Mr. Vitale make a beeline to a shower)  after he did it! 

I think it's just sad. I don't need to see a frail old man embarrass himself like that.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4
On 2/28/2021 at 10:36 AM, QuinnInND said:

He's a college basketball sportscaster who has those catchphrases he uses in the commercial. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

How I despise the "Goli" commercial.  I'm sick of it.  I hate the redhead who stands there chewing, then does such a stupid dance.  And taking a couple of cider gummies makes you able to pass up cake?

Edited by knuckles491
fix
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 2/28/2021 at 1:55 AM, Yeah No said:

When she yells that out, my reaction is mostly, "Same, girl...same." Because I love a big bucket of chicken. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, scarletine said:

When she yells that out, my reaction is mostly, "Same, girl...same." Because I love a big bucket of chicken. 

The one who yells "wafer cookies!" As if there is any hope that that will happen.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

And what's with Goli's claims of insulin resistance being the reason people can't loose weight.

Insulin resistance might be an actual thing. I don't know.  But Goli gummies just seem absurd to me. I'd be the person that would treat them like candy.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, tres bien said:

And what's with Goli's claims of insulin resistance being the reason people can't loose weight.

Insulin resistance might be an actual thing. I don't know.  But Goli gummies just seem absurd to me. I'd be the person that would treat them like candy.

I think you may have confused Goli with Golo?

• Love 3

I don't know if anyone posted about this, but I just got this recently and it annoys the ever lovin' heck out of me.

Always hyping their new product (as alternative for Depends, I guess?)--underwear diapers as sexy lingerie? Riiiiight. Like wearing underwear for bladder leaks is soooo sexy.🙄😒

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know if anyone posted about this, but I just got this recently and it annoys the ever lovin' heck out of me.

Always hyping their new product (as alternative for Depends, I guess?)--underwear diapers as sexy lingerie? Riiiiight. Like wearing underwear for bladder leaks is soooo sexy.🙄😒

• LOL 8
On 2/28/2021 at 2:55 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm a lifelong NASCAR fan, and not especially a fan of Hamlin, so I smile at her trashtalking.

• LOL 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think it's nice that someone is at least trying to bring out something pretty. Having bladder control problems is bad enough, making the products one uses to mitigate the situation a little less humiliating is refreshing. MHO

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think it's nice that someone is at least trying to bring out something pretty. Having bladder control problems is bad enough, making the products one uses to mitigate the situation a little less humiliating is refreshing. MHO

I agree, Peaches, but selling it as sexy wanders toward some fringe fetishes... or so I've heard. Ahem.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think you may have confused Goli with Golo?

LOL  you're right!

But I still have the same feelings about gummy anything for adults unless it's candy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, tres bien said:

LOL  you're right!

But I still have the same feelings about gummy anything for adults unless it's candy.

I have a gag reflex to larger size pills. I take gummy vitamins every day.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I don't know if everyone has a Food Lion grocery store in their state but they are everywhere here in S.C. so I see this stupid commercial all the friggin time!  UGH this lady is way too excited about saving money on her grocery bill.  I mean like waaaay too excited.  If this brings her this much joy...wow she needs to get laid big time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2021 at 6:04 PM, peacheslatour said:
On 2/27/2021 at 5:47 PM, CrystalBlue said:

What channels are these two American Icons on?

Old people channels.

I'm curious as what constitutes 'old people channels'.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I'm curious as what constitutes 'old people channels'.

The nostalgia networks. MeTV, Antenna, FeTV, etc. They all run shows that have been off the air for years if not decades and probably can't afford "real" commercials like the ones on other channels, so they end up with ads for stuff like Medicare with Joe Namath and his huge veneers. Or dentures. I really can't tell.

• Love 6

I think the reason we're getting Medicare and walk in tub commercials on the Retro channels is they are going after the demographic that watches them - old folks (like me). I don't think it has to do with the cost of the commercials,.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a gag reflex to larger size pills. I take gummy vitamins every day.

Due to multiple health issues, I take what can only be termed a 'shitton' of pills each day so anything I can take as a gummy is a relief.

And fyi, the equate brand of gummy probiotics are so yummy.  It's like little candy treats.  🙂 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I think the reason we're getting Medicare and walk in tub commercials on the Retro channels is they are going after the demographic that watches them - old folks (like me). I don't think it has to do with the cost of the commercials,.

I watch The Office on Comedy Central and on Cozi TV. The commercials are diametrically different. On CC it's Grub Hub, Dominoes, cars, cosmetics (lots of Jen Aniston) etc. Cozi, which also shows oldies like Little House on the Prairie and The Munsters has all the Medicare, reverse mortgage, life insurance junk.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

The nostalgia networks. MeTV, Antenna, FeTV, etc. They all run shows that have been off the air for years if not decades and probably can't afford "real" commercials like the ones on other channels, so they end up with ads for stuff like Medicare with Joe Namath and his huge veneers. Or dentures. I really can't tell.

There's one channel even called "Decades" - they seem to be quite self-aware.  I had been watching ION+ on the weekends, as they were showing Murdoch Mysteries non-stop Friday - Sunday.  Now my channel line up has changed (Scripps bought ION) and ION+ has gone away. I don't think it was a profitable channel for them because most of the ads were for either the regular ION channel or PSAs.

• Love 3
(edited)

ad for Ancestry.com. Woman standing on a dock, talking about her illustrious ancestors who crossed oceans, yada yada. She says essentially that she's telling her kids about these illustrious ancestors who "took risks. Big Risks. No pressure."

It just irritates me. A) the "ancestor worship" as if you can really derive self-importance by what your ancestors did (I have an in-law relative who does this with her illustrious great grandfather who died before she was born) and B) so you're telling your kids to sail across the ocean even if they've decided to make a good life as a nurse, accountant, whatever. Just seems like pressure for the sake of pressure. Maybe the ancestors would have loved that your kids have an easier life? Just venting.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

the "ancestor worship" as if you can really derive self-importance by what your ancestors did

My great-grandfather was the town drunk. Boy, am I proud of that!  Another great-g'dad was the town blacksmith - still, I don't hammer things very well. My Nana did, though. Won prizes at the fair for pounding nails within 3 strokes.  I recently read Michael Connelly's "Fair Warning" and even though I was leery before, now I KNOW I will never send off my DNA for ANY reason.  I don't care how persuasive their ads might be.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My great-grandfather was the town drunk. Boy, am I proud of that!  Another great-g'dad was the town blacksmith - still, I don't hammer things very well. My Nana did, though. Won prizes at the fair for pounding nails within 3 strokes.  I recently read Michael Connelly's "Fair Warning" and even though I was leery before, now I KNOW I will never send off my DNA for ANY reason.  I don't care how persuasive their ads might be.

My great grand daddy on one side was a moonshiner, the one on the other was an evil coal baron. Screw that, I don't need to know more.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have had an Ancestry DNA test kit on my desk for well over a year. I don't know my mother's heritage as she was adopted,but I am not willing to put my DNA into  a national database to find out my history. I am who I am and am happy with that "replacing tinfoil hat on head" ...LOL... personal to me alone... My father's side is lost in dementia so maybe that is my end but I'm still going strong at 71!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I have had an Ancestry DNA test kit on my desk for well over a year. I don't know my mother's heritage as she was adopted,but I am not willing to put my DNA into  a national database to find out my history. I am who I am and am happy with that "replacing tinfoil hat on head" ...LOL... personal to me alone... My father's side is lost in dementia so maybe that is my end but I'm still going strong at 71!

Ancestry DNA protects privacy in a number of ways.  You can opt out of sharing the results on their website and they don't keep the info. in their databases associated with any of your identifying information like your name, etc.  Or there are other DNA services out there that you might trust more to keep your info. private.

This might make you feel better:

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/legal/PrivacyForAncestryDNATesting#:~:text=The lab processing your DNA,sample throughout the testing process.

• Love 4
On 3/2/2021 at 3:20 PM, tres bien said:

The claims of the Golo diet seem to be based loosely in facts as insulin resistance is associated with difficulty losing weight, and people with higher blood sugar levels (whether diabetic or pre-diabetic) tend to develop the condition.  However the diet itself is not looked on by experts as having any basis in science in terms of what food it actually makes you eat.  It's just a very calorie restricted diet and any drastically calorie restricted diet will make anyone lose weight.  The problem is that it only allows something like 1200 calories a day, which in some people is unhealthy and can't be maintained over the long haul, so it's basically a recipe for yo-yo weight loss/gain.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Ancestry DNA protects privacy in a number of ways.  You can opt out of sharing the results on their website and they don't keep the info. in their databases associated with any of your identifying information like your name, etc. 

Having to opt out of sharing results is not protecting privacy.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

Having to opt out of sharing results is not protecting privacy.

Exactly!

And something else that somewhat has somewhat infuriated me about it, it gobbled up the Ellis Island website in which one could put one's ancestors' name, country of origin,etc. and not only would all the info they had pop out but they'd often reproduce pictures of the very boat said  ancestors had arrived from abroad to NYC- for FREE. Well Ancestry.Com couldn't leave that alone, they gobbled it up so now one is compelled to SUBSCRIBE to their website to view all that!BOOO!!!!

P.S. Of course, they don't mention that in their genuflecting ads! 

• Useful 4