Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 3/12/2021 at 9:21 AM, Ubiquit0us said:

I'm particularly annoyed by the commercials in which the latina ex-model from Desperate Housewives whose name escapes me pretends to dye or touch up her roots with grocery store hair products.  Yeah, right... 

EVA LONGORIA

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

I feel really sad for the lady who claims that getting to chill with a couple of Oreo Thins last thing at night is the highlight of her super-busy day.

A bag of actual Oreos, maybe; Oreo Thins, not so much.

Even better if they're Double Stuff Oreos.  With ice cream!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Isn't that Drew Barrymore in Firestarter?

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/disaster-girl

The photograph of the girl and the burning house was taken by Dave Roth in January 2005 during the local fire department's live drill training two blocks away from his home in Mebane, North Carolina. While observing the fire, Dave caught his daughter, Zoe, smiling devilishly juxtaposed against the burning house.

• Useful 4
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I feel really sad for the lady who claims that getting to chill with a couple of Oreo Thins last thing at night is the highlight of her super-busy day.

A bag of actual Oreos, maybe; Oreo Thins, not so much.

3 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

Being diabetic, as much as I once loved Oreos, nowadays, they with a bowl of ice cream would probably raise my numbers so high I would be in serious trouble. Especially at the end of the day!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

I still think that Double Stuf should be the “regular” Oreos and the original the “diet” version. 😛

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

For all of us who hate the Peloton commercials, including various smug faces and the desperate housewife with Xmas gift and orders from hubby to shape up her already perfect bod:

There's trouble in Peloton Paradise:

Child Killed in Peloton Incident

yikes, so expensive and dangerous too

guess i will cancel that order i was ...  wait, no, i was never going to get one of these things

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
On 3/13/2021 at 6:58 PM, Cryonix said:

All those Jake with State Farm commercials are on so often it's ridiculous, Parker with the Pizza delivery, Maya with all the piles of meat (Yuk) Daniel & the bees, all so stupid. I would definitely NOT be getting State Farm.

Ugh. I hate all of them, especially the Daniel and bees one. Doesn't he know that he will probably get stung if he eats more of that "chunk honey"? Commercials just keep getting worse and worse these days.

And while on the subject of State Farm, may we take a moment to remember (and subsequently forget) "Drake from State Farm"?

• Love 4
22 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

For all of us who hate the Peloton commercials, including various smug faces and the desperate housewife with Xmas gift and orders from hubby to shape up her already perfect bod:

There's trouble in Peloton Paradise:

Child Killed in Peloton Incident

Of course, it is awful that this happened, but the news is blowing this up because it's Peloton and while I have zero interest in their products or "cool kid" vibe, I think they are being singled out because of who they are. A child can be seriously injured or killed on any treadmill or many different types of moving fitness equipment. If the owners left the treadmill were negligent or irresponsible, the brand doesn't matter. 

• Love 14
34 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Of course, it is awful that this happened, but the news is blowing this up because it's Peloton and while I have zero interest in their products or "cool kid" vibe, I think they are being singled out because of who they are. A child can be seriously injured or killed on any treadmill or many different types of moving fitness equipment. If the owners left the treadmill were negligent or irresponsible, the brand doesn't matter. 

It matters to Peloton's stock.  They took a tumble yesterday; today they popped back.  It's all about business and reputation.  Remember when IKEA took a hit because their furniture fell on and killed a kid?  They came up with a new commercial advising to drill holes in your wall to secure the furniture (a dresser, I believe)!  I wonder if Peloton will come up with a new ad about child safety and promoting some safety feature.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

It matters to Peloton's stock.  They took a tumble yesterday; today they popped back.  It's all about business and reputation.  Remember when IKEA took a hit because their furniture fell on and killed a kid?  They came up with a new commercial advising to drill holes in your wall to secure the furniture (a dresser, I believe)!  I wonder if Peloton will come up with a new ad about child safety and promoting some safety feature.

Yeah, a new safety feature that you can buy for your current model for the small price of $1000

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, cinsays said:

Yeah, a new safety feature that you can buy for your current model for the small price of $1000

No, it will be available free of charge -- just pay for shipping and handling.  That'll be $1000 for next day delivery!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

An ad for some educational service:   "Did you ever want to walk on the Rings of Saturn to see if they'd hold your weight?"   Perhaps a remedial class in space and weightlessness would be in order first. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
Just now, Maverick said:

An ad for some educational service:   "Did you ever want to walk on the Rings of Saturn to see if they'd hold your weight?"

This truly is the bottom of the barrel. We can't stoop lower than this!*

*I'm betting that in at least 48 hours, there is going to be a new commercial that digs even deeper into the hole of stupidness the world is in. Check your TV, everyone!

• Love 5
On 3/15/2021 at 7:21 PM, SmithW6079 said:

What bothers me is that he appears to accept the gifts. I'd bet that State Farm  has a corporate policy about not accepting gifts from vendors and customers. 

In the State Farm commercial with the stand-ins that shows Jake in a snug red shirt, is Jake really that jacked? He looks swole, bro.

What bugs me even more about the new Jake from State Farm commercials is how smug and dismissive he acts to people that are showing their appreciation for him and what he supposedly did for them.  He puts on this arrogant young guy smirk that rubs me the wrong way.  OK those people are creepy with slabs of meat slapping, but still.  When he tells the beekeeper in that commercial that he's not dressed to meet the queen I just want to smack him.  This is a way to sell car insurance?  Wow, if so people are getting even more dysfunctional than I thought.

• Love 4
On 3/12/2021 at 12:48 PM, knuckles491 said:

The Leaf Filter commercial bothers me.  A couple goes to a demonstration of some  gutter filter, and the wife has enough interest to go with the husband.  The moderator asks "Who still climbs up on ladders to clean gutters?"  Husband raises his hand.  "Dennis, I told you, that's dangerous!" says the wife.  She must already know that he climbs ladders...that's why they're at the demo.

I hate when she says "We're sold"....All it takes is a little googling to find out that those filters are more trouble than they're worth for many reasons that are well known and talked about on expert websites.  You might as well just use the extra money you would have to spend on them to have someone clean out your gutters twice a year.  But they bank on people not doing the research and just blindly listening to their stupid commercial that vaguely insults the intelligence of the older couple that appears in it, not to mention the rest of the audience.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, knuckles491 said:

Daddy....it's for you.  

At least I like that piano piece they play in those commercials.  Sounds like something I would write.  I know, I obviously missed my calling.

I am still grossing out over squeezing the King's buns though..... 🤮

• Love 1

I finally saw the Geico Wet Teddy Bear commercial.   Seriously creepy, and pointless.

Then there's the Coke Cherry/Vanilla commercial with the centaur and the woman customer is something similar too, I see no point in that, or how that will sell a beverage.   

• Love 11
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If anyone chooses to do that I have no problem with it as long as they turn the other cheek.  Preferably in the other direction. 

On a side note, I dated someone at one point in my life where her breath was so bad, a warm fart would have been a breath of fresh air.  Not that there is any such of thing as a cold fart.

I have been watching a lot of Cozi lately, and my gosh I don't think a commercial break has gone by without me having to deal with a countless number of Medicare commercials.

That Cubii commercial is a bit obnoxious as well.  Especially with the two old ladies walking away in white pants with big butts.  IMO, that part of the commercial is cruel and exploitive. 

By the way that thing is pretty damn expensive.  I see people using that thing while sitting on a cushion and I do wonder at what point the friction from the pants rubbing against the cushion starts to wear out the cushion fabric, or at a minimum causes it to pill.

Well, they are wearing their big, bulky Depends!  Better switch to the Silhouette underwear; so sleek and silky smooth too!

Only $349.00 on Amazon.  🤑

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

What bugs me even more about the new Jake from State Farm commercials is how smug and dismissive he acts to people that are showing their appreciation for him and what he supposedly did for them.  He puts on this arrogant young guy smirk that rubs me the wrong way.  OK those people are creepy with slabs of meat slapping, but still.  When he tells the beekeeper in that commercial that he's not dressed to meet the queen I just want to smack him.  This is a way to sell car insurance?  Wow, if so people are getting even more dysfunctional than I thought.

That's Jake's version of humility and "no big deal."  The whole New Jake from State Farm idea and experience irks me!

Has anyone noticed that at the end of the Maya Markdown ad, Maya whispers, "Call me in 20 minutes and I'll hook you up with the good parts"?

• Love 2

Hate the music in the Buick commercials; sounds like circus music for a dead brand.

Hate the Go Boy Go music for GMC. So much for "professional grade"(their tag line from a few years ago).

Can't stand the Grub Hub ad; creepy animation with second grade flute receital music. 

Folgers ads, the singer is way too loud screaming her fool head off - reject from Glee??

And of course the dog whistle screaming gurl for the cherry Pepsi.

Why does music have to be loud and overbearing? "Catchy" does not mean "kitschy", "infantile" and "annoying"....

I haven't seen it in a while but I saw it this morning.  The skittles commercial where the girl picks a skittle right off the guy's face who has skittles pox, like a zit and eats it. Ugh, it is so gross and the premise is unsanitary.  I can't believe someone thought this was a good commercial.  It still doesn't beat the Snyders of Hanover commercials  when they have people crunching and chewing so loudly.  I literally want to punch them in the face.  I scream at the tv and call them names.  LOL.  And I will never buy their product ever again.  

Edited by justdoit10
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Years ago, I accidentally bought some Snyder's of Hanover from the junk machine at work. That is the NASTIEST tasting snack. I'd rather eat zittles of a teen's face.

well, i love their sourdough big pretzels, so maybe they were extra stale or just different strokes

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, cinsays said:

well, i love their sourdough big pretzels, so maybe they were extra stale or just different strokes

Same. Snyder's have good pretzels, but whatevs. Haven't seen the chewing commercial yet- I plan on looking.

Also @justdoit10 how the heck does she get the Skittle off of his face without tearing off some of the skin? I don't know about any of you, but I probably wouldn't eat a skin Skittle. lol

And now I will proceed to push the "skin Skittle" out of my mind.

https://makeagif.com/i/VorhZZ (sorry it is in link format!)

Edited by Kawaiiko
parentheses
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

One commercial I want to yeet into the sun--the Amazon Alexa one where the 21st century dad is somehow in Pompeii and asks what day it is.  A man responds with an obnoxious almost offensive Italian accent that it is 79 AD.  I can live with the Pompeiian speaking English, but the accent was unnecessary.  What really grinds my gears is using a date that no person living in the Roman Empire would ever use.  

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

One commercial I want to yeet into the sun--the Amazon Alexa one where the 21st century dad is somehow in Pompeii and asks what day it is.  A man responds with an obnoxious almost offensive Italian accent that it is 79 AD.  I can live with the Pompeiian speaking English, but the accent was unnecessary.  What really grinds my gears is using a date that no person living in the Roman Empire would ever use.  

I hate that too, plus the fact that he had to go back to Alexa to find out the name of the volcano, showing that he had pretty much zero knowledge about this historical event other than what he looked up via Alexa and was just trying to come off like a smarty pants to his kids.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I don't know why, but this commercial makes me want to stick my fingers down my throat.

image.png

huh, and i love it, almost as much as the geico ad with the motorcycle girl singing "Build me up buttercup"

oh well

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, cinsays said:

huh, and i love it, almost as much as the geico ad with the motorcycle girl singing "Build me up buttercup"

oh well

No, it's not just you, I love it too.  Especially the bad dancing, LOL.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I hate that too, plus the fact that he had to go back to Alexa to find out the name of the volcano, showing that he had pretty much zero knowledge about this historical event other than what he looked up via Alexa and was just trying to come off like a smarty pants to his kids.

I bet the kids aren't fooled one bit.

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I can't stand the Kit Kat commercial with the guy shrieking for no apparent reason.

We can't "like" more than once, but if I could, I'd "like" x 1000.

I like the "Scoop! There it is..." ad, especially when the dude throws out his arms and yells, "SPRINKLES!"

• Love 11

I just saw (again) that ad that so many people disliked, where the mom tells the kid to “get a bandaid” while she snuggles with the cat. Across the bottom, there’s text that says “we don’t encourage this behavior, but your cat might.”  Has that always been there?

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just saw (again) that ad that so many people disliked, where the mom tells the kid to “get a bandaid” while she snuggles with the cat. Across the bottom, there’s text that says “we don’t encourage this behavior, but your cat might.”  Has that always been there?

I don't remember seeing that caption before.    

They're showing the Wet Teddy Bear commercial, it's just as yucky as the first time I saw it.     They had other ones too, and they were just as bad. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Milana is the actress who plays Lily in the AT&T ads.  The responses were predictable.

Sure, she's been getting a lot of comments that ask her the exact same thing.  Riiight.  It's called self-promotion, people!  Now all her fans know she's the director and she collects you're awesome, beautiful, etc. comments as well.

May I please lose the privilege of ever seeing her Lily ads again?  Enjoy your safe space, Milana.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don't recall seeing that bottom text.  It's probably been added on after backlash.  If people on here were complaining, I'm sure it was elsewhere too.  Sheba should just retire this ad and do a new one.

• Love 7

I haven't seen that disclaimer, and I usually listen to commercials more than watch them so maybe I just missed it (especially if I wasn't close enough to the TV), but I also think it's new.  And it's just going to make me laugh even harder at the commercial.  Good move, Sheba.  I still won't buy your product, but I do like this ad.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Leeds said:

I don't know why, but this commercial makes me want to stick my fingers down my throat.

I still am amused by this and put down what ever I'm doing to watch the daughter's face every time.  Love it.

• Love 18
32 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I like the ad and see nothing wrong with it.  That is one kid that won't be living in his mama's basement after he graduates.

I like the ad too and don't see child abuse or neglect happening.  Mollycoddling mummy's special snowflakes is obviously a generational thing.

• Love 11

I also see nothing wrong with that Sheba commercial.  The kid is too calm and also sounds old enough to know where the bandages are and how to apply them.  He or she doesn't need Mom in that instance.  Furthermore, I have cats.  My old lap kitty used to take forever adjusting her self and kneading my body before finally deciding to settle down.  Getting up once that happens means you are going to be subjected to another session of cat paws and claws on your body as kitty decides how to perch on you this time.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

Well thank you very much everyone!  I read a post here a while back about how irritating the new Wendy's commercial was especially where they're singing about the biggie bag. Perhaps I was too smug because I hadn't seen that commercial.  Now, they're playing it all of the time here and it's driving me crazy!  Make it stop!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

The kid is too calm and also sounds old enough to know where the bandages are and how to apply them. 

That's my takeaway as well. The kid doesn't sound terribly upset and sure doesn't sound like a little kid. The ages of kids in commercials is so oddly off sometimes. That kid is too old to be needing mommy to kiss his boo boo and the kid in the Migraine Mom ads is too old to want to play dress up with her mom . Then you have the "you need a loan? Daddy, it's for you" kid who is barely a toddler with no concept whatsoever about home loans.

• Love 10