Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, eel21788 said:

The California Psychics commercial:

Every time that guy says, "I've always had a passion for fitness, and she saw me owning my own yoga studio," I want to shake him and scream, "She's just telling you what you want to hear! Do you think she really 'saw' anything other than dollar signs for keeping you on the phone?"  

22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's crazy. "It's like she knew everything about me!" No shit, as soon as you gave your credit card number they went on your Facebook page. Idiots.

I wonder if their related to the same idiots who admit their crimes on Facebook and then are shocked when the police show up to arrest them. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10

There are also paid databases, and you just plug in a name, and whatever information you have on the person, and up pops up current and previous addresses, and all kinds of financial and other information.    Some free ones also list addresses, other residents of the same address, and you can see if any are deceased or moved out too.  It's all a matter of research once you have any information on the specific person.    So the commercials for the 'mediums' on TV, enrage me.    

I hate when Geico gets something like the Scoops/Sprinkles that people like, and then rotate it out for something that bugs me.    I really dislike the Mo-Taur commercials, from Progressive.  (I don't like the Flo ones either usually, some are OK).  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 9
Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate when Geico gets something like the Scoops/Sprinkles that people like, and then rotate it out for something that bugs me, like the Mo-Taur commercials.  

Literally every company does that. lol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There are also paid databases, and you just plug in a name, and whatever information you have on the person, and up pops up current and previous addresses, and all kinds of financial and other information.    Some free ones also list addresses, other residents of the same address, and you can see if any are deceased or moved out too.  It's all a matter of research once you have any information on the specific person.    So the commercials for the 'mediums' on TV, enrage me.    

I hate when Geico gets something like the Scoops/Sprinkles that people like, and then rotate it out for something that bugs me, like the Mo-Taur commercials.  

They can also go to public records at the county you live in. They can find out if you're married, own property, have children, all sorts of stuff. It's all online. Not to mention Google Earth, they can literally see your house.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

But Mo-Taur is Progressive - so which is worse? Mo-taur or Flo's family?   The GEICO ad that annoys me that's back in heavy rotation is that damn dickhead slapping everything around and giggling about it. "Not tin my house."

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 4/9/2021 at 2:43 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I don't! I regret that, but even at only .25 mph, I didn't want to take my eyes off him. I was delighted and entertained, but also thinking, "is my baby safe?!" Meanwhile, the delicate baby just ran as fast as he could down the hall and skidded into the bathroom, where he slid across the floor on a rug and barreled into the trash can.

You do know he has nine lives, right?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Creepy as fuck.

image.png.72f93c2565215e2e938130441d24c299.png

Oh my God...that one!  I honestly think that the ad people were truly trying to see if there would be a breaking point with this one.  To see how much icky and awful viewers would tolerate.

• Love 8
On 4/9/2021 at 2:05 PM, janie jones said:

Is California Psychics the one where they have people who don't believe in psychics getting readings? There's one person who says it's the best psychic reading she's ever gotten. So either it's the only reading you've ever gotten, or you've believe in them enough to have had multiple readings.

No. The line is "a psychic reading over the phone seems a little impersonal." It isn't that they didn't believe any psychic reading wouldn't be "real." They're just skeptical about not being able to look her in the eyes, rightly so.

• LOL 1
On 4/9/2021 at 2:23 AM, Bastet said:

If my mom had ever chased me around the house over a bite of food, I hope my dad would have steered her toward the psychological help she needed and stepped up to shoulder his share of the parenting load he was clearly neglecting if she was losing her shit over a single bite.

Some of those Kraft commercials feature bratty kids, but in that one it's the mother I think has lost her damn mind.  The kid didn't refuse to eat her vegetables, she just ate one bite less than what Mom wanted, declared she was no longer hungry, and got chased around the house by a lunatic with a loaded fork.

If she really is full, get over it.  If she consistently claims to be full one bite shy of what you want her to eat as a means of asserting some control over her life, be the adult and outsmart her by putting one more portion than you want her to eat on her plate.

Glad to know  I am not the only one annoyed by this.     Chasing your kid around with a fork full of food?  Yeah.....no.

• Love 11
On 5/31/2020 at 8:34 AM, Ashforth said:

Nope, forcing kids to eat food that is repugnant to them is a form of torture.

They can eat what's been prepared for dinner or have a bowl of cereal or a simple (pb&j or cheese) sandwich instead. No forced feeding.

I disagree completely. Kids being required to eat the nutritious meals that they are served is important for their health, and if they don't want it, they can go without.  Many kids don't like vegetables, but requiring them to eat some is "torture?" What if they choose to have cereal or a sandwich every night? Also, I grossly dislike all the ads in which kids tell the parents what they will and won't do, and the parents begging them to do what they need to do. Parents need to be in charge, not the kids. I also dislike the ones where the parent is sitting outside a kid's door, begging for forgiveness for missing something. Again, kids in charge.

• Love 14
On 6/30/2020 at 8:27 PM, QuinnInND said:

The ad for Subaru with the little nimrod who needs the car to tell her to keep her eyes on the road instead of looking down at her phone. The stupid look on her face when she stops, and the truck or whatever goes zipping in front of her. Like she's dumbfounded at what could have happened. Yeah, you twit. And then her mother's expression as dimwit daughter pulls safely into the driveway.  "Thank you, Subaru for allowing my easily distracted kid to get home in one piece." Ugh. One day, that Subaru isn't going to be able to save her from her own stupidity and inattentiveness behind the wheel. Or save someone else. 

I so agree. Dimwit daughter should not be allowed to drive if she is "easily distracted." Driving is not a God given right, especially for young adults. As you say, next time it might be someone else who doesn't get home in one piece, thanks to dimwit. It is absolutely wrong of the company to say that cars should tell drivers to be careful and watchful and to put down their phones. It's the same as the "texting while driving has consequences" ad, where the girl causes an accident and then says "I wish it didn't happen."

• Love 14

there's a radio ad that I keep hearing for Popeye's. It has some guy singing very badly about how he loves pickles or something like that. I'm supposed to want to eat at Popeyes because of that?

• Love 1
On 7/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, janie jones said:

That's what I like about the Billie commercials, too.  Any razor can glide across hairless skin; I want to see the product in action.  But seeing someone take a razor to a full-grown patch of hair gives me the willies.  When you see the person shaving their full-grown pit, all I can think of is all the hair tangled in the razor and it grosses me out.

I haven't seen the commercial, but I think this points to a possible reason why they featured an overweight person.  They might be trying to imply it's "safe" to eat if you're dieting?

Hi Janie Jones! I remember you from TWoP! We live, or did, in the same place. Also remember Bastet. I also think that that ad for "lower calorie" ice cream product is pointed toward overweight people, as "safer."

1 hour ago, susannah said:

I disagree completely. Kids being required to eat the nutritious meals that they are served is important for their health, and if they don't want it, they can go without.  Many kids don't like vegetables, but requiring them to eat some is "torture?" What if they choose to have cereal or a sandwich every night? Also, I grossly dislike all the ads in which kids tell the parents what they will and won't do, and the parents begging them to do what they need to do. Parents need to be in charge, not the kids. I also dislike the ones where the parent is sitting outside a kid's door, begging for forgiveness for missing something. Again, kids in charge.

But you're assuming the meals every night ARE nutritious. Are they, really? I see mighty long lines at dinner time at the McD's drive through - but I guess that proves your point that the kids are in charge (or the parents are too tired to be in charge.)

• Love 5

Besides the ads previously mentioned with bratty kids, including the ones who spray pop all over the floor while Mom beams, and the one with a sword, etc, the ads I despise are the ones showing abused animals, the ones about the polar bears, and now ones about killing elephants for their tusks, showing an elephant falling dead.  I despise all ads talking graphically about any body function, especially the red bears and "poise in her pants." I hate the one with the poor teddy bear chained to the front of a truck and then falling in a freezing puddle. I don't want to see anyone in their underwear for any reason. I don't know why the Tide commercial has the grandparents doing tons of laundry after their daughter and three kids moved in, while the granddaughter is standing there dribbling a popsicle all over. I do think the Geico ads with the "ants" and "clogging" are clever. I also don't mind the Limu emu, and I always thought it was pronounced e-moo.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

No matter how brief? 

They don't bother me.  Now, when they start breaking out the adult Huggies, that is somewhere where I don't want them to go.  Though I suppose it is better than having them go on the floor.

I see what you did there!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I forgot to quote this part from your outstanding post.  I haven't seen the elephant commercial and I don't want to see it.   I am an animal lover, and seeing what horrible things "humans" do to animals just breaks my heart.

Thanks, and it breaks mine too.

• Love 4
On 4/9/2021 at 5:09 PM, ForumLou said:

Ok Geico missed it on this one.  Slap Happy Mutombo.  What is the point other then he's being a bitch.

Perhaps to show that their resident folk guitarists were able to pronounce his unusual  surname without garbling it! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

The Safelight commercial.  The lady says, "My car is my after work de-compression zone."  Bopping to the music on the radio.  Is she kidding?  I  think the commute home is as bad as the job.  Traffic jams, stupid drivers, red lights, people double parking in the road, people tailgating you, changing lanes without the blinker, flipping you the bird.  Anyway, that's how it is when you drive in Boston. 

Edited by knuckles491
correction
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, knuckles491 said:

The Safelight commercial.  The lady says, "My car is my after work de-compression zone."  Bopping to the music on the radio.  Is she kidding?  I  think the commute home is as bad as the job.  Traffic jams, stupid drivers, red lights, people double parking in the road, people tailgating you, changing lanes without the blinker, flipping you the bird.  Anyway, that's how it is when you drive in Boston. 

I'm going to go with the assumption that you don't work retail.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
Just now, SweetieDarling said:

Right? I needed a long commute to completely change my headspace so I wasn't a raging misanthrope when I got home. Just listen to my tunes and go with the flow.

• Love 15

Oy, this commercial with an annoying-voiced cartoon toddler running through the woods pantsless, touting the virtues of Pull-Ups or something! This fool is too articulate and physically capable (of cartwheels, no less!) to not know when to pee in the bathroom!

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This fool is too articulate and physically capable (of cartwheels, no less!) to not know when to pee in the bathroom!

Probably related to the (way too old to wet his pants) kid in the car commercial who tells both parents before a car trip that he doesn't have to 'go' then decides he has to go.  As mentioned before, the original commercial showed the kid saying 'too late' when his mom tried to get him out of the car, but now just shows them running into the mall.

• Love 4

Unless there’s some hidden medical condition for Cartoon Toddler, I suspect she’s being selectively lazy. Although, she is out hiking in the woods (barefoot and pantsless), maybe she is just being prepared!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
On 4/13/2021 at 4:45 PM, SweetieDarling said:

If knuckles491 is commuting in Boston, working on a bomb disposal squad would be a nerve-soothing relief in comparison.

• LOL 14
  • Love 4
On 3/26/2021 at 5:15 AM, KWalkerInc said:

The guy yelling in the Kit Kat commercials doesn't really bother me, at least not compared to this wonderful "song" for Kit Kat Thins (why does the candy have to be thinner, and why did they make this jingle so annoying?).

They're making everything "thin" these days. 

Oreo Thins were meh. They were good for stuffing a bunch in your mouth (not that would know from experience) but that's it. I couldn't eat them like I usually do (I go layer by layer on these things).

Although the Kit-Kat duos I see ads for were actually pretty good.

• LOL 9
On 4/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Unless there’s some hidden medical condition for Cartoon Toddler, I suspect she’s being selectively lazy. Although, she is out hiking in the woods (barefoot and pantsless), maybe she is just being prepared!

This reminds me of the ads that showed kids practically big enough for first grade, hiking, riding the carousel by themselves, etc with stupid pacifiers in their mouths. Also, a different one, for Skittles, that was sickening is when the guy's face is covered with them like chicken pox and a girl picks one off and eats it. I hope the person that thought that one up was fired. Ads are supposed to make you want to buy the product, not throw up!

• Love 11
30 minutes ago, susannah said:

Skittles, that was sickening is when the guy's face is covered with them like chicken pox and a girl picks one off and eats it. I hope the person that thought that one up was fired. Ads are supposed to make you want to buy the product, not throw up!

My grandkids think the Skittle ads are funny. And they like Skittles. So if that's the demo they're going for, they bit their mark.

• Useful 1
32 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

My grandkids think the Skittle ads are funny. And they like Skittles. So if that's the demo they're going for, they bit their mark.

Kids think lots of gross things are funny.

• Love 5

Why are all the people carrying heavy tailgates--up a hill, no less--to the GMC truck with the six-way adjustable tailgate? Hoping the General Motors Almighty will transform their analog tailgates on the Mount of the GMC Sierra? I hope they're not just planning to dump them there. The annoying earworm of a song only adds to my "WTF?"

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

The proliferation of awful Charmin teddy bear commercials continues.  Stop the madness!  Now there's another one where the little boy bear wags his heinie at the camera to show it's "clean."  But these must be super successful somehow. 

• LOL 4
On 4/11/2021 at 10:50 AM, Kemper said:

The “get your wet teddy-bears” is akin to getting a root canal.  As is “not in my house” .... etc.

Finally saw the "wet teddy bears" ad yesterday. 

giphy-downsized.gif

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Charmin's damn lucky it puts out an excellent product, otherwise the crap-obsessed bear families would have sent me into the waiting arms of Cottonelle or Scott long ago.

Cottonelle is linty. Bleh.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3