Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/21/2021 at 1:39 PM, janie jones said:

I don't see what's so scandalous about putting them in with your other laundry.

I don't think there's anything scandalous about it, I'm just squeamish.  I think when it comes to periods, everybody should just do what works for them.  So glad I haven't had to worry about it in a long time.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Same. And some of those little foil wrapped chocolate eggs.

In my family, we called those little chocolate footballs.  🙂

I send the grandnephews See's candies for Easter including chocolate bunnies, footballs and decorated chocolate Easter eggs.  I also send a few things to my 61 year old brother.  We had Easter baskets growing up and usually dyed eggs, although we didn't typically have an egg hunt.  It was more of an activity.  Also we would bring them to my great grandmother for her Polish Easter soup. 

One of the grandnephews really upset his grandparents (not the ones I am related toby blood) when he informed them that he didn't like their "god".  They are Jehovah's Witnesses and therefore do not celebrate birthdays or do any candy for Easter, etc.  The GN, who was all of five at the time, told them, "Your god doesn't like birthdays! Or Christmas presents! Or Easter candy! Or Halloween!  I don't like your god!  I'm keeping mine."  They were so upset.  Somehow they couldn't get that a five year old is making this decision on exactly what he stated.  He is not a deep theological thinker.  He did, however, enjoy candy and presents. 

• Love 7

I got curious about when chocolate bunnies became a thing. Here is what I was able to discover:

Chocolate bunnies were initially created in Germany in the mid-19th century.  They gained mass appeal in 1890 when American shop owner Robert Strohecker created a five-foot-tall chocolate bunny as an Easter promotion in his drug store.

Why Bunnies for Easter?

In medieval Europe the rabbit was a popular symbol for spring because of it’s fecundity.  A German legend said that after a long winter’s sleep an Easter bunny would lay bright-colored eggs in the grass for good children to find.

• Love 3

As a kid my parents usually got me a chocolate bunny, but I mostly grew out of my love for sweets. Except the eggs the Cadbury Bunny brings, those might as well be chocolate-covered crack!

• Love 4

Growing up my sister was allergic to chocolate so we got white chocolate bunnies, jelly beans and marshmallow eggs in our Easter baskets.  As we got older, we got Fannie Mae cream eggs along with the other goodies.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, skipnjump said:

Growing up my sister was allergic to chocolate so we got white chocolate bunnies, jelly beans and marshmallow eggs in our Easter baskets.  As we got older, we got Fannie Mae cream eggs along with the other goodies.

What a drag for her.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What a drag for her.

It was.  She had a lot of other allergies too.  :-(  They weren't horrible allergies that she needed an epi-pen but bad enough that she had to avoid lots of food items.

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

There was a show back in the 70's called Emergency.  I never watched it back then, though I do think it influenced one of the neighbor kids to become an EMT and eventually a fireman. He watched it constantly.  I think it aired on Saturday nights on NBC if my memory is correct.

In any case, I have started dvring it since it airs on Cozi twice a day weekdays and twice on Saturdays. The show is interesting.  The one thing I have noticed is that doctor Brackett had a constant bee in his bonnet or bug up his ass.  He never seemed happy.

I am more of a DeSoto fan than a Gage fan.  Back in the day, I think Gage was the more popular character.  Chet was kind of a jerk at times, but Gage had his moments as well.  

Total Randolph Mantooth fan here.  John Gage was my guy.

• Love 4

I used to be a huge Emergency/ER fan, but after going through multiple emergency/er trips with my late DH I can't watch any if those shows any more. Way too painful...

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There was a show back in the 70's called Emergency.  I never watched it back then, though I do think it influenced one of the neighbor kids to become an EMT and eventually a fireman. He watched it constantly.  I think it aired on Saturday nights on NBC if my memory is correct.

In any case, I have started dvring it since it airs on Cozi twice a day weekdays and twice on Saturdays. The show is interesting.  The one thing I have noticed is that doctor Brackett had a constant bee in his bonnet or bug up his ass.  He never seemed happy.

I am more of a DeSoto fan than a Gage fan.  Back in the day, I think Gage was the more popular character.  Chet was kind of a jerk at times, but Gage had his moments as well.  

I watched Emergency regularly when it was on but I got a sense that the EMTs were kind of immature, with all their jokes, and Chet was the worst. I still remember the show where some kids had won a tour of the hospital and Gage was going to treat them like five year olds instead of intelligent children. I didn't really like the "Kel and Dix"  I liked Dr Brackett though, even if he was surly at times. I remember when the show came on, my grandfather would say, "Oh that's old Robert Fuller," and I had no idea how he would know. Now I know that he was in a Western show before Emergency. Now, comparing it to ER, Emergency seems almost cartoonish. I have seen Randolph Mantooth on tv since then and he is a very handsome man.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Total Randolph Mantooth fan here.  John Gage was my guy.

I love Emergency! Gage was my guy back in the day but DeSoto is a more intellectually curious, less neurotic character. But damn, Randolph Mantooth is fine.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Every so often Gage had his inner Chet come out.  Moments where he acted like an ass.

He could be really awful. I was watching an episode recently (it's on six days a week around here) and he was going on about how there were so few nurses at Rampart that he could date. I don't have the quote but he was bemoaning that there were too many "over twenty five, over 130 pounds, not cute enough". 

• Love 2

The actor that played Chet (Tim Donelly) didn't have many acting credits after his run on Emergency.

Robert Fuller (Dr. Brackett) didn't do too much after the show either, which I found strange because I thought he was really good.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not surprised.  I don't blame the actor.  Actors and actresses have to read the lines they have been given unless they have creative control.  Still, I was a kid in that era, and even I knew enough not to say something snotty like that.  That's the type of thing that could get a lot of people to turn against that character

Now, yes. But Emergency was first on in the 70s, where diminishing and objectifying women was an accepted part of the culture.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, susannah said:

Now, yes. But Emergency was first on in the 70s, where diminishing and objectifying women was an accepted part of the culture.

They really addressed that on the show though. I remember when they were in San Francisco and there were women paramedics there. The women were fighting to be treated equally and the show did a great job of showing how competent they were.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They really addressed that on the show though. I remember when they were in San Francisco and there were women paramedics there. The women were fighting to be treated equally and the show did a great job of showing how competent they were.

Agree, and that show is hugely dated when looking through the current lens.  I was obsessed with this show as a pre-teen, (Randy Mantooth sure helped with that) and recall that paramedics were not a 'thing' back then.  The idea of having paramedics was completely novel and the show has been credited with elevating the program nationally.  It was pretty groundbreaking 50 years ago.  Shit.  Can it really be 50 fucking years ago??????

• Love 6
2 hours ago, cynicat said:

Agree, and that show is hugely dated when looking through the current lens.  I was obsessed with this show as a pre-teen, (Randy Mantooth sure helped with that) and recall that paramedics were not a 'thing' back then.  The idea of having paramedics was completely novel and the show has been credited with elevating the program nationally.  It was pretty groundbreaking 50 years ago.  Shit.  Can it really be 50 fucking years ago??????

Yes it was groundbreaking, for its time. Back in the day, ambulance personnel were basically transportation. Even on Emergency, all they could do was start IVs and do EKGs. To compare that with the level of training paramedics have today is mindboggling.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, susannah said:

Yes it was groundbreaking, for its time. Back in the day, ambulance personnel were basically transportation. Even on Emergency, all they could do was start IVs and do EKGs. To compare that with the level of training paramedics have today is mindboggling.

And thank god for the people that fought for the program and all the scientists and doctors that came after.

• Love 4

Almost every character Kevin Tighe has played since being Desoto on Emergency has been a villain, it seems. The first time I saw him in another show I was shocked when he turned out to be the bad guy. Not Roy!

He did a fine job of being utterly loathsome as Locke's dad on Lost, one in the long, long line of bad dads on that show.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, ABay said:

Almost every character Kevin Tighe has played since being Desoto on Emergency has been a villain, it seems. The first time I saw him in another show I was shocked when he turned out to be the bad guy. Not Roy!

He did a fine job of being utterly loathsome as Locke's dad on Lost, one in the long, long line of bad dads on that show.

He was an evil drug addicted doctor on Law and Order: Criminal Intent. He was very believable.

26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

He was an evil drug addicted doctor on Law and Order: Criminal Intent. He was very believable.

He was absolutely vile as a company man in "Matewan," about the coal miners' uprising in attempt to unionize in 1920.  It is a good film.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, susannah said:

He was absolutely vile as a company man in "Matewan," about the coal miners' uprising in attempt to unionize in 1920.  It is a good film.

Great film.  And John Sayles has nice things to say about Tighe (and about him playing a bad guy for the first time) on the DVD commentary.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Great film.  And John Sayles has nice things to say about Tighe (and about him playing a bad guy for the first time) on the DVD commentary.

Now I want to watch it again! It is a great film, and an important one.

(edited)
22 hours ago, susannah said:

In many rural areas, the local funeral home also ran the local ambulance service. 

Combination car

Edited by smittykins
Add link
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Emergency maybe somewhat dated, but in terms of quality, it is still light years better than Chicago Fire and Chicago Med

Is that 911 show with Jennifer Love Hewitt still on? We tried watching it and we looked at each other and said WTF? We already have this show. It's called Emergency.

4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Yes, 9-1-1, and 9-1-1: Lone Star are both still on.  Both of those series get a bit crazy at times. 

I really have a problem with Chicago Med.  The arrogance of the characters (doctors and nurses) and the ignorance of the person that runs the hospital, absolutely amazing.

I feel the same way about Chicago PD. There is a character called Voight and he is the most insufferable, arrogant jerk since Napoleon.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I somehow managed to get all of the answers correct on this picture quiz.  It isn't easy.

I missed one and yeah, it wasn't easy.  One I got on a total guess and I wasn't even guessing the right name for the pictures!

• Love 1

I'm sure glad they gave four clues for each show, because I didn't/don't watch any of them, but if I could come up with at least two names, it was usually something I nevertheless knew through cultural osmosis.  I only missed two (admittedly, it would have been three if not for me randomly picking the right one where I had absolutely no idea).

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm sure glad they gave four clues for each show, because I didn't/don't watch any of them, but if I could come up with at least two names, it was usually something I nevertheless knew through cultural osmosis.  I only missed two (admittedly, it would have been three if not for me randomly picking the right one where I had absolutely no idea).

Same here.

• Love 1

I got them all.  I couldn't necessarily identify all the photos, but most times just one photo was plenty.  I did guess on a couple, and got lucky.

I apparently used to watch too much television!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have a real problem with Andy's parenting style, and Barney's know-it-all attitude

Oh yeah, I agree about Barney! What was Andy's parenting style? I don't watch the reruns so it has been a loooong time.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Expecting the worst out of his kid, and treating him as if he were guilty before all of the facts were in.  He should have let Opie explain himself before going off on him  It wasn't as though Opie was Eddie Haskell or Lumpy Rutherford.  It kept happening over and over again.

Wow, that isn't good. I didn't remember that at all. The only one I remember is when Opie got a slingshot and Andy told him to be careful what he hit with it. Opie killed a mother bird with it and Andy told him he would have to feed the baby birds day and night. I thought that was a fair consequence, but the things you described are not good parenting. I would have thought that Aunt Bee would have been that way, she was really strict.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I somehow managed to get all of the answers correct on this picture quiz.  It isn't easy.

I'm no genius...where are the answers? 

2 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I'm no genius...where are the answers? 

Well, I figured that out...and got all of them right!  Dumb/Smart me.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate that episode with a passion.  I have watched it once.  The whole killing of mama bird thing is just something that I can't watch.

Yes, Opie had an obligation to raise those birds.  Andy did the right thing.  That said, Andy was a hypocrite.  Did he hold himself to the same standard when he went out shooting at wildlife?  No, he did not. 

I didn't like it either.  I suppose Andy would use the same lame excuse other hunters use, that they are hunting for food, but as they do it for fun and take pictures of what they kill, it falls really flat IMO.  I really oppose killing wild animals for sport.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, susannah said:

I didn't like it either.  I suppose Andy would use the same lame excuse other hunters use, that they are hunting for food, but as they do it for fun and take pictures of what they kill, it falls really flat IMO.  I really oppose killing wild animals for sport.

Not only that, but they probably had fried chicken they got fro the grocery store that night.

• Love 1

Hey! I got em all right! Last one was a total guess, never watched that show. I have all the seasons of Emergency, including the two hour movie at the end. It's amazing to see how far paramedics and the ambulances have come.  I loved the episodes where Dr. Brackett is talking to patients in his office while he's smoking. 

• LOL 1

I don't understand why Andy would let a very young child (Opie) have a slingshot.  Opie shouldn't have been allowed to have that.

Different times.  Possibly different culture.  I'm not much younger than Opie/Ron Howard, and I grew up in a small town (complete with town drunk!) and we all had toys that could injure you.  Or, y'know, shoot your eye out.  And yet, somehow, we survived.

• Love 7

IIRC, in one episode Andy along with at least one other character were shooting crows.  Someone who is more up on the series maybe able to verify that, but I think that did happen.

I don't understand why Andy would let a very young child (Opie) have a slingshot.  Opie shouldn't have been allowed to have that.

He took Thelma Lou's cousin to the dump to shoot crows on a date. It turned out later that the cousin was a crack shot and a skeet shooting champion. She beat Andy in a skeet shooting competition and instead of typical male ego bruising, he asked her to help him get better or something.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

She beat Andy in a skeet shooting competition and instead of typical male ego bruising, he asked her to help him get better or something.

Nah, he just wanted to take her out.  Barney got his knickers in a twist over it, though.

• Love 2