Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Darlabutterfly said:

I was coloring my hair in the shower and the drain clogged. I now have a brown ring circling my bathtub. I'm afraid to have a plumber over due to COVID and I have a case of the lazys mixed with fatigue from taking post-cancer medication, so ...

Totally seconding Peacheslatour - you have no reason to be ashamed and call the plumber!  Actually I think I was a bit harsh  there are lots of reasons for "ring around the tub" and I apologize if I came across as judgemental! 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am trying my best to avoid that horribly depressing elephant commercial.  Luckily I have been able to change the channel just as the commercial started.  Thanks to whomever mentioned that commercial before.  That is one commercial I have never seen all the way through, and am doing my best not to see it at all.🐘

That was me, and I change the channel immediately too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Darlabutterfly said:

*hangs head in shame and embarrassment*

I was coloring my hair in the shower and the drain clogged. I now have a brown ring circling my bathtub. I'm afraid to have a plumber over due to COVID and I have a case of the lazys mixed with fatigue from taking post-cancer medication, so ...

Plumbers have seen just about everything, I’m sure.  Take care of yourself...and hoping it gets better.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Darlabutterfly said:

Replying in small talk…

On 5/5/2021 at 1:37 PM, Scout Finch said:

And then just saw another one for the first time where someone's brought his new girlfriend home and they're serving his grandmother's famous mac and cheese. Apparently, the girl regularly carries around a huge container of new Hidden Valley Ranch sprinkles in her purse to put on whatever food she thinks need seasoning.

And she can get out my damn house with her HV ranch sprinkles!  Guess she doesn't want to be invited to dinner ever again. 

On 5/5/2021 at 5:11 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Maybe Jake's supposed to dunk his breadsticks in the ranch dressing.

Speaking of sexual innuendo . . . .  let's leave Jake's breadstick out this. ☺️😳

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Darlabutterfly said:

Go to small talk for my solution.

Thanks to those moving the bathtub ring and pizza crusts discussions to Small Talk.  Yes, Small Talk, where all of your off topic dreams come true!  Please continue any discussion there before you annoy, irritate and/or outright enrage your fellow posters.

• Love 5

I'm about DONE with the commercials for Joanna Gaines' Discovery+ cooking show. The way she says "chock-LIT," the way she taps the cookie sheet on the counter, the way she says "dangit" when her measuring cup is too big for the container she's trying to dip it in. Argh! And it appears she feeds one of her kids raw biscuit dough and asks him, "Does it taste like grandma's?" He makes a face that clearly makes it apparent it doesn't taste like grandma's.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

Has anyone mentioned the stupid ad where the water is pouring on the woman and blowing her out of the house, as well as the equally stupid one where the water is pouring on the small group of women at what looks like a bridal shower or something. I think those ads are STUPID. Plus, watching people humiliate themselves to be on tv is really pathetic. Also looking at you, diarrhea woman!

• Love 4

So far. the only reaction those Discovery Plus commercials have evoked from me is for me to be grateful that I'm not paying extra to see Guy Fieri. To each one's own and if others want to watch  it/him, that's on them. However, I'm annoyed enough having his smug, annoying mug inflicted on my set as it is so why should I pay any extra to see more of said mug?

• Love 8
11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

This commercial disgusts me.  Granny shouldn't be eating off of another persons plate.  Any person that starts eating off my plate will get a fork in their hand.

I think this Phexxi commercial has been mentioned around here before.  I finally got to see it at around 3:00am.  I have insomnia and watch the weirdest commercials in the overnight hours, and not just the sex toy infomercial that just fascinates me.  There is another dude that spends a half hour selling knives.  How many knives can one person possibly need?

In any case, back to that Phexxi commercial.   The most annoying part of the commercial is the alliteration.  That said, in my younger days, I dated a lot of Abstinent Alices.  After I got dumped they turned into a bunch of Horny Henriettas.  I tried not to take it too hard.

I am trying my best to avoid that horribly depressing elephant commercial.  Luckily I have been able to change the channel just as the commercial started.  Thanks to whomever mentioned that commercial before.  That is one commercial I have never seen all the way through, and am doing my best not to see it at all.🐘

Also, Granny talks with food in her mouth and stuff hanging out at first!  Ewww.

Condom Cait & Co.:  Phuxxi, I mean, Phexxi ad has this warning at the bottom:

86% effective with typical use.  93% effective when used as directed.

So, it's not typical to USE AS DIRECTED?  What does this mean?  Women don't typically use as directed?  Is there a second-best defective way to use this product?  Put it in the wrong place?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I assume too horny to take the time to read the instructions.📯🎷🎺

Any port in a storm.🚤

The same with proctologists.

"A million to one shot, doc. A million to one."

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Knowing that Peloton is recalling all their product, why are they still advertising?  And can someone please explain to me why those Peloton people yell “Come on Peloton”.  Why do they call the customers Peloton?  I know they can’t yell anyone’s name, but why do they yell Peloton?  And besides that, I don’t want anyone yelling at me while I exercise.  

I’m an oldster and just like the Mirror and Peloton, I just don’t get having a TV on an exercise bike that shows beautiful scenery.  Seriously, do people really think they’re biking in the Alps?  I just put my butt on the seat and peddle.   

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

And can someone please explain to me why those Peloton people yell “Come on Peloton”.  Why do they call the customers Peloton?  I know they can’t yell anyone’s name, but why do they yell Peloton?

Peloton means the main group of cyclists competing in a race (something I never knew until these damn commercials made me look it up, and then knowing that fact recently led me to correctly answer a Jeopardy! clue I'd have previously missed).  So that's why an instructor is addressing their client group as "Peloton" in each of these annoying commercials.  It's the same as encouraging folks, class, everyone, etc. in speaking to any exercise class (where no one has paid enough to be called out by name), just an address specific to a biking class.

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Peloton means the main group of cyclists competing in a race (something I never knew until these damn commercials made me look it up, and then knowing that fact recently led me to correctly answer a Jeopardy! clue I'd have previously missed).  So that's why an instructor is addressing their client group as "Peloton" in each of these annoying commercials.  It's the same as encouraging folks, class, everyone, etc. in speaking to any exercise class (where no one has paid enough to be called out by name), just an address specific to a biking class.

Yeah, I learned this too from research courtesy of this very website!

I also don't understand the continuing constant ads still airing.  There's one with a man who promotes some training with appears to be in addition to being on a killer recalled overpriced treadmill and being yelled at and enjoying the poses of the lady leader with the bright red lipstick being cutesy.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Knowing that Peloton is recalling all their product, why are they still advertising?

My understanding is they've recalled all their treadmills, but not the bikes.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

My understanding is they've recalled all their treadmills, but not the bikes.

Yes, you are correct.  It is only the treadmills that were recalled.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just don’t get having a TV on an exercise bike that shows beautiful scenery.  Seriously, do people really think they’re biking in the Alps?  I just put my butt on the seat and peddle.   

Going to Small Talk...

• Love 1

I don't know why it bugs me as much as it does, but the GEICO gecko claiming credit for the "15 minutes could save you 15%..." slogan does. I think he's lying and stole someone else's idea and got away with it because he's the spokeslizard. ;-)

• LOL 4
On 5/5/2021 at 7:29 PM, AnnA said:

It's a free country.  That said, ranch dressing on pizza is just wrong.

Ranch dressing on egg yolks might be worth trying for folks who hate egg yolks but love ranch goo dressing.

And Dominoes pizza with their "driverless delivery" car. It doesn't exist yet in my neck of the woods so why are they advertising it? 

3 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

And Dominoes pizza with their "driverless delivery" car. It doesn't exist yet in my neck of the woods so why are they advertising it? 

Does it exist at all? I've been wondering about that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

If it is in fact real, it most likely will never be available here.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

If it is in fact real, it most likely will never be available here.

It's only been launched in Houston.  The perfect pilot city because their slogan is ready made:  "Houston, We've Had A Problem."

Edited by CrystalBlue
their not they're.
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2

I live in the boonies in MT nothing, no food services are available here and most likely will never be. Big state very small population, we get all the national ads but most places are 2-3 states away. Yeah I'll go to Spokane for a burger...Not... National advertising is cheaper than spot local ads. Most of the food places will never have a restaurant in my area...

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I live in the boonies in MT nothing, no food services are available here and most likely will never be.

Dominos advertises here for delivery all the time and they kinda sorta do in that they'll deliver as far as a small grocery store parking lot in the town next door, and you pick it up there.  No, seriously. 

Their delivery radius is T I N Y and anything else is this darkish meet & greet like you're picking up illicit goods or something from your dealer.    But they are the only one that delivers.  This means, the pizza is ice cold by the time it would get home.  And Dominos sucks so we don't bother.  

• LOL 6
(edited)

Speaking of the Domino's commercial - the one where they advertise all the different kinds of crusts bugs me no end because they named one them their "foldable Brooklyn style crust".  To anyone native to NYC who knows anything about New York pizza, it is kind of insulting and ignorant to only give Brooklyn credit for it when I for one know that it was not invented in Brooklyn nor was it ever unique to Brooklyn.  Domino's sells pizza so they should know better.  I realize how ridiculous that expectation is because I know that most pizza purists don't even consider what they peddle real pizza in the first place, so how can we expect them to know about where the crust really comes from?  But jeez, you'd think they'd do a little research before giving it that name.  My husband said it was typical of people today not to care about real history and reinvent things based on some kind of surface impression they get about something from popular culture.  Just because Brooklyn is supposedly "cool" these days with all kinds of hipsters opening up artisan pizza shops doesn't mean that's where the classic "foldable" crust comes from.  They were copying something that already existed in NYC for over 100 years.  Geez, it's like they think the world was invented just for them in 2010.  🙄

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 11
On 5/7/2021 at 10:32 PM, mmecorday said:

I'm about DONE with the commercials for Joanna Gaines' Discovery+ cooking show. The way she says "chock-LIT," the way she taps the cookie sheet on the counter, the way she says "dangit" when her measuring cup is too big for the container she's trying to dip it in. Argh! And it appears she feeds one of her kids raw biscuit dough and asks him, "Does it taste like grandma's?" He makes a face that clearly makes it apparent it doesn't taste like grandma's.

Food Network is really pushing the "Magnolia Network" hard because they gambled a lot on Chip and Joanna Gaines based on the success of their other shows, but so far not that many people are watching them hence all the annoying commercials.  I'm sure we're going to see a lot of FN commercials on other networks now because their most recent ratings overall have never been this low....

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

Food Network is really pushing the "Magnolia Network" hard because they gambled a lot on Chip and Joanna Gaines based on the success of their other shows

I have never been able to stomach those two. Just TOO CUTE and sort of self-congratulatory about their SWEET marriage and CUTE children and how dorky he is and how whatever she is. I also think from what little I've seen her "finishing" means sticking a bunch of random objects on a shelf, that have no meaning to the homeowners.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 5/7/2021 at 1:56 PM, janie jones said:

I don't understand why Joshie's grandparents act sheepish after he catches them with wrinkles. If you were just putting something on a shelf, why would you assume anyone would think you were doing anything different? And if you weren't doing anything different, why would you act like you had been?

That whole commercial is beyond creepy.  Joshie even "going there" thinking his grandparents would be doing that is completely creepy because usually no one ever thinks about their grandparents ever having sex, nor would they ever want to....And no amount of noise or wrinkles would ever make anyone go there unless they were a pervert themselves, LOL.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That whole commercial is beyond creepy.  Joshie even "going there" thinking his grandparents would be doing that is completely creepy because usually no one ever thinks about their grandparents ever having sex, nor would they ever want to....And no amount of noise or wrinkles would ever make anyone go there unless they were a pervert themselves, LOL.

I know, right?  My reaction would be, Grandma, Grandpa, are you all right? (as to the noise going on behind a closed closet door, not that they're having sex!  They're having sex with their clothes on, thus wrinkling them?  Checking out the zipper area of Grandpa's trousers?  Major fail.

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Speaking of the Domino's commercial - the one where they advertise all the different kinds of crusts bugs me no end because they named one them their "foldable Brooklyn style crust".  To anyone native to NYC who knows anything about New York pizza, it is kind of insulting and ignorant to only give Brooklyn credit for it when I for one know that it was not invented in Brooklyn nor was it ever unique to Brooklyn.  Domino's sells pizza so they should know better.  I realize how ridiculous that expectation is because I know that most pizza purists don't even consider what they peddle real pizza in the first place, so how can we expect them to know about where the crust really comes from?  But jeez, you'd think they'd do a little research before giving it that name.  My husband said it was typical of people today not to care about real history and reinvent things based on some kind of surface impression they get about something from popular culture.  Just because Brooklyn is supposedly "cool" these days with all kinds of hipsters opening up artisan pizza shops doesn't mean that's where the classic "foldable" crust comes from.  They were copying something that already existed in NYC for over 100 years.  Geez, it's like they think the world was invented just for them in 2010.  🙄

Hawaiian Pizza with Ranch dipping sauce, now that's Italian!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

I know, right?  My reaction would be, Grandma, Grandpa, are you all right? (as to the noise going on behind a closed closet door, not that they're having sex!  They're having sex with their clothes on, thus wrinkling them?  Checking out the zipper area of Grandpa's trousers?  Major fail.

Why would they be having sex in a linen closet when their bedroom is right down the hall? Beyond stupid.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Why would they be having sex in a linen closet when their bedroom is right down the hall? Beyond stupid.

'Cause they're kinky old buggers, LOL. 😉🙄

If they were going to go that route they could have at least picked a more believable couple!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

All sorts of people have sex with one another.

Of course I know that!  The issue is that they didn't exactly look like the kinky type, did they?  In fact they looked quite the opposite.  Not something anyone's grandson would ever think their staid, very traditional old grandparents would do, anyway.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Of course I know that!  The issue is that they didn't exactly look like the kinky type, did they?  In fact they looked quite the opposite.  Not something anyone's grandson would ever think their staid, very traditional old grandparents would do, anyway.

Looking at them, that would not be the first thing to come to my mind but I guess kinky comes in all sorts of packages. Maybe the kid has walked on some unexpected situations before.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Looking at them, that would not be the first thing to come to my mind but I guess kinky comes in all sorts of packages. Maybe the kid has walked on some unexpected situations before.

Haha, that would be a lot to have to suppose to go there with this commercial.  I still think it's stupid.  Grandparents that old and obviously not in good physical shape couldn't handle buggering each other in a hall closet and they'd probably know better than to try.  They'd hurt themselves or each other.  I'm an older person myself, although not that old and even I wouldn't attempt it.  That doesn't mean they wouldn't find other places and ways to DO it safely, but that's also presuming it's still a physical possibility, which is not guaranteed at that age due to medical conditions, etc.  The kid in this commercial is too young to realize that.  Perhaps the commercial is intended to make older people laugh at how ridiculous his assumption is, since most of us would know better and opt for a safer place to have sex, LOL.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2
On 4/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, ctlady said:

The Facebook Portal ad featuring a new, frustrated 'mum' trying to nurse her baby while portaling with her mum.  Now, I really adore the characters and how they're portrayed.  The new mum actually comes across like she's at the end of her rope without appearing annoying (and the sweet British accents help)

What makes my teeth grind is the message being portrayed here.  All I can think of is when my sister-in-law couldn't get my nephew (who hadn't slept more than 20 minutes at a clip) to nurse.  The reason?  The poor baby was hungry and thin breast milk wasn't filling his tummy enough to satisfy him.  When my sister and I visited, she took the baby from SIL, made a small bottle with formula to which he sucked down in record time - then slept for 2 hours straight.  Needless to say, she never breast fed after that

Now, if it's for medical reasons that the baby needs breast milk, then you need to do what you can do. But I don't like how it comes across (to me) that new mom's are made to feel like they're failures to the point of tears because they can't get their baby to nurse no matter how much they try different positions and what nots.  If the doctor okays the baby for formula then cut your losses, give the kid a bottle and give your boobs a rest.  You'll still be a good mom

She can't nurse because she is trying to get the baby to latch on over her shirt. Also, that 8 to 10 month old baby she is trying to start on breastfeeding has obviously not missed many meals in his life. Why start breastfeeding now?

• LOL 10
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

'Cause they're kinky old buggers, LOL. 😉🙄

If they were going to go that route they could have at least picked a more believable couple!

I vote for Connie and Jack, the old (as in the ad campaign is now old) Consumer Cellular senior couple who almost always had Jack's sidekick with them.  You just know they'd be having threesomes!

Six-Year Old Consumer Cellular Ad with Jack, Connie & Some Rando Guy

• LOL 5
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Haha, that would be a lot to have to suppose to go there with this commercial.  I still think it's stupid.  Grandparents that old and obviously not in good physical shape couldn't handle buggering each other in a hall closet and they'd probably know better than to try.  They'd hurt themselves or each other.  I'm an older person myself, although not that old and even I wouldn't attempt it.  That doesn't mean they wouldn't find other places and ways to DO it safely, but that's also presuming it's still a physical possibility, which is not guaranteed at that age due to medical conditions, etc.  The kid in this commercial is too young to realize that.  Perhaps the commercial is intended to make older people laugh at how ridiculous his assumption is, since most of us would know better and opt for a safer place to have sex, LOL.

The new version of "safe sex"?

Sexy Seniors Safe Sex

• LOL 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, eel21788 said:

She can't nurse because she is trying to get the baby to latch on over her shirt. Also, that 8 to 10 month old baby she is trying to start on breastfeeding has obviously not missed many meals in his life. Why start breastfeeding now?

I haven't even seen this breastfeeding commercial, and I don't want to, but with all the shit they show on TV nowadays, a little nip shouldn't be a problem.  Why so modest all of a sudden?  We're seeing chicks shaving their "coarse, down there" PUBIC hair now, FFS.  (OK she's wearing a bikini but still they're showing and talking about it, not to mention the three bush-shaving ladies by the pool and manscape commercials.)

Edited by CrystalBlue
Added punctuation. ! Coarse (hair) not course.
  • Love 2

Another irresponsible commercial, this time by Hyundai.  A group of teen girls are taking selfies and acting stupid while riding in a car.  The driver isn’t paying attention and allows the car to drift into the next lane, nearly running another car off the road.  But some new Hyundai technology rescues them and warns them of the drift.  Do they really think that validating that behavior, as long as your vehicle has that technology, makes that behavior OK?  You can bet there will be some who will feel that way. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Another irresponsible commercial, this time by Hyundai.  A group of teen girls are taking selfies and acting stupid while riding in a car.  The driver isn’t paying attention and allows the car to drift into the next lane, nearly running another car off the road.  But some new Hyundai technology rescues them and warns them of the drift.  Do they really think that validating that behavior, as long as your vehicle has that technology, makes that behavior OK?  You can bet there will be some who will feel that way. 

There are a couple of ads that are starting technology to "warn" drivers to stop texting and taking selfies while driving. I think that is every kind of wrong. The law needs to get alot tougher on drivers who have their phones on when they cause accidents, including taking licenses, and jail time if they cause injury/fatalities. That will teach kids to pay attention when they are driving, and not depend on some technology.

• Love 18

Can't they just make cars that disable all smartphone functions inside their frame while they're running? Or override whatever's on the screen with a "PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD, STUPID!" message?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Can't they just make cars that disable all smartphone functions inside their frame while they're running?

doesn't work well when the passenger wants to use his or her phone. 

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Can't they just make cars that disable all smartphone functions inside their frame while they're running?

40 minutes ago, dleighg said:

doesn't work well when the passenger wants to use his or her phone. 

Or if you want to use your phone for navigation.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Or if you're in hot pursuit of some mugs who've just knocked over a bank and have their gats a blazin' and you're trying to call the cops.

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Or if you're in hot pursuit of some mugs who've just knocked over a bank and have their gats a blazin' and you're trying to call the cops.

Or if you want to video the capture to make sure cops aren't being shot at or exercising police brutality.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

There are devices for that so that you don't need to be holding or looking at your phone while you are driving. There is nothing a phone can do that is worth risking people's lives, no matter how "convenient" they are.

• Love 7