Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 4/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, ForumLou said:

Ok Geico missed it on this one.  Slap Happy Mutombo.  What is the point other then he's being a bitch.

Are Geico, Progressive and Liberty Mutual in a competition to see whose advertisers can come up with the stupidest commercial of all time?

Geico: Slap Happy Mutombo

Progressive: Don't turn into your parents

Liberty Mutual: Wet teddy bear stand

What do any of these have to do with insurance of any kind?

Edited by eel21788
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7

The ad for canine Advantix 2 flea stuff was running every 5 minutes yesterday on several channels I was watching- the one with the group of 'talking' dogs who are afraid to chase the ball into a hedge because there might be fleas, ticks and (bloodhound howling) mosquitoooooooos. 

I always wonder if these companies realize the amount of brand hatred this tactic builds up in the viewers. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Charmin's damn lucky it puts out an excellent product, otherwise the crap-obsessed bear families would have sent me into the waiting arms of Cottonelle or Scott long ago.

I still prefer Great Northern.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Charmin's damn lucky it puts out an excellent product, otherwise the crap-obsessed bear families would have sent me into the waiting arms of Cottonelle or Scott long ago.

I call Scott "sandpaper for your ass" because it is that rough.  Charmin all the way for me.  But I do hate the Charmin bears.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

OP here.  These ads don't work on me.  I buy Envision toilet paper in bulk from Amazon.  It's sort of like Scott.  I've never liked that super soft Charmin.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Are Geico, Progressive and Liberty Mutual in a competition to see whose advertisers can come up with the stupidest commercial of all time?

I do have to say for LM, i love the guy that says 'Liberty Biberty' hehe stupid i know but Ive been going through major dental stuff and currently lisping and talking weird.  Dont ask me to say S lol. Anyway that is my mantra to get my mouth going. I just say Liberty Biberty a few times and Im ready.

• Love 11

I don't like the AFLAC ad where two men (I think one of them is Rob Riggle) are acting like sports commentators at a desk, but instead are mocking an injured woman who can't pay her medical bills because she doesn't have AFLAC.  They then laugh over the fact that she can't give them the sideeye over their comments because she can't turn her neck.  They seem like assholes.

• Love 8

The itchy (unlean) rear of the little red bear really squicks me out. It'd be different if he were wearing those underpants he left on the floor, but, noooooo, he's got his naked, nasty butt on the furniture and he's wiggling around, rubbing that residue onto the furniture.  Not even my cats are that nasty.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

The commercial for some skin cream in which the model states “it was unbe-en”  grates on my last nerve. If she is going to be a spokesman for the product, PLEASE teach her to say the letter “T” in the appropriate place!

• Love 8
19 hours ago, eel21788 said:

14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love that one.

I think Progressive at least makes some effort to tie the ads back to the product.  At least some of them mention something to the effect that now that you need insurance (like your parents), you shouldn't turn into your parents.  Or something like that.  Anyway, they make more of an effort than the wet teddy bear people.  And at least for some of us, they're amusing.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I don't like the AFLAC ad where two men (I think one of them is Rob Riggle) are acting like sports commentators at a desk, but instead are mocking an injured woman who can't pay her medical bills because she doesn't have AFLAC.  They then laugh over the fact that she can't give them the sideeye over their comments because she can't turn her neck.  They seem like assholes.

Rob Riggle has seemed like an asshole in every single thing I've ever seen him in. Maybe it's unfair, but my assumption is there's not much acting involved.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

Liberty's "wet teddy bears" isn't a commercial -- it's the ad agency giving Liberty Mutual a public teabagging.

"Look!" they are saying. "We can get this client to buy ANYTHING!"

In my blog review of this ad, I included Liberty's contact information so people could speak out. If you'd like to give the company a piece of your mind, here is how to do it:

https://www.facebook.com/libertymutual

https://twitter.com/LibertyMutual

Customer service phone number: 1-800-290-7933

Mailing address for the corporate headquarters:

Liberty Mutual Insurance
175 Berkeley Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116

Be sure to address your comments to Jenna Lebel, Liberty’s chief marketing officer. None of these ads can air without her approval.

Fight on, fellow ad critics!

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

Liberty's "wet teddy bears" isn't a commercial -- it's the ad agency giving Liberty Mutual a public teabagging.

In my blog review of this ad, I included Liberty's contact information so people could speak out. If you'd like to give the company a piece of your mind, here is how to do it:

Liberty Mutual Insurance
175 Berkeley Street

Be sure to address your comments to Jenna Lebel, Liberty’s chief marketing officer. None of these ads can air without her approval.

But.. but... if they take down all the annoying ads, what would we have to snark at?

• LOL 20
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

Liberty Mutual Insurance
175 Berkeley Street

I can't speak for anyone else, but this immensely overestimates the amount I care about literally anything we talk about in here. 😀

• LOL 5
  • Love 19
4 minutes ago, Darlabutterfly said:

I was driving past a house getting remodeled today and saw a large pile of wood in the parkway. I immediately thought "Who just gives away wood"?

From what I heard from a local contractor here in MT lately, wood is very expensive. That pile in the commercial could certainly be reused.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

From what I heard from a local contractor here in MT lately, wood is very expensive. That pile in the commercial could certainly be reused.

They had a report on the local news in Atlanta that the price of wood has gone up due to shortage that it adds another $24k for an average house.  (Except I haven't seen an "average" house being built in a long time around here - they're all McMansions.)

• Love 1

I saw a commercial several times over the weekend in which little kids are each driving cars. I thought the suv's being driven fast up a hill, off road, were irresponsible.  But kids "driving" automobiles (& recklessly) is asking for trouble. So right now it's these car ads + the obnoxious itchy butt bear ads that are bugging me.

• Love 2

we're doing a little remodeling, painting, sanding and staining and sealing floors, new surround and vanity and floors in bathroom, etc.  Had to replace some trim molding in the one bedroom. Fairly simple molding, from a late 50s/early 60s ranch style tract house. $7/foot. The room is not large about 12x12, but that can add up fast.  

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

I'm trying to sort out my feelings about this ad.

Anyone else?

I like the honesty.  Why play coy when millions of women shave their pubic hair,  and millions of men like it.  

• Love 3

Gillette is trying and failing miserably to do a commercial in the style of Billie's.  They get points for finally saying "pubic hair" but then lose them for "down there".  And, fundamentally, they fail for declaring women's pubic hair requires special tools.

And for coming off like yet another razor commercial showing women shaving already bare skin.  I think she does have the slightest bit of hair at her underwear line, but it's very slight and they flash away quickly.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I like the honesty.  Why play coy when millions of women shave their pubic hair,  and millions of men like it.  

I think my biggest problems with it are: 1) Visually, it's a bit much for unsuspecting viewers (of which we all are); and 2) It runs at all hours of the day.

People lost their minds over the Schick Hydro Silk TrimStyle ad with the three cute girls "trimming their bushes," but so far as I know, that ad only aired during certain hours or during shows that were already aimed at more mature audiences.

We all know what razors do. I'm not sure we need to see close-up camera shots of anyone, woman or man, shaving their pubes on TV.

Edited by TheCrankyCreative
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

I think my biggest problems with it are: 1) Visually, it's a bit much for unsuspecting viewers (of which we all are); and 2) It runs at all hours of the day.

People lost their minds over the Schick Hydro Silk TrimStyle ad with the three cute girls "trimming their bushes," but so far as I know, that ad only aired during certain hours or during shows that were already aimed at more mature audiences.

We all know what razors do. I'm not sure we need to see close-up camera shots of anyone, woman or man, shaving their pubes on TV.

I already posted my aversion to the new Venus commercial (but hadn't posted the video).  To me it's just an excuse to say the word pubic so they can sound so progressive and modern.  Of course the model is all tatted up!  But who wears their undies in the shower while shaving?  And yes, there is a fine line of "that down there hair" visible for a split second.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

Well, one reason people have been praising Billie is because they show actual hair getting shaved, so you can see how well the razors work. (And I agree with whoever said this seems to be their attempt at a Billie ad.) And some razors suck, so I think we probably do need close-up camera shots of people shaving. Does it have to be a bikini line? Probably not. But I'll take a bikini line over an armpit any day of the week. What we don't need is close-up shots of people running razors across hairless body parts.

• Love 5

ad for Otezla. Young man going to front door with GF, obviously to meet the parents for the first time. Mom greets young man with a hug (a bit over-familiar in my world, but whatever) but what drives me NUTs is that she gives her daughter (over the young man's shoulder) this raised eyebrow look like "Ooo, he's NICE-looking." Totally inappropriate in my opinion. He hasn't said a word yet, so it's clearly just his looks.

Then he gets conscripted into rolling out pasta in one of those manual machines, and apparently the simple act of turning a crank proves he's a CATCH! Mom hugs him (AGAIN) and Dad makes some kind of "You're great!" motion with his hand.

Yuk, and Yuk. Maybe we're just a non-effusive family LOL. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2021 at 5:42 PM, ForumLou said:

I do have to say for LM, i love the guy that says 'Liberty Biberty'

Admitting that I do watch soap operas (sigh), that actor is currently a love interest for one of the female leads on 'The Bold and the Beautiful.' He plays a doctor.

DoctorFinn.jpeg

Edited by Kimboweena
Proper grammar counts.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Has anyone been seeing over and over again the Flo & The Gang "Beach Day" ad?  Flo can't be content to sun herself at the beach with her cohorts; she overhears a conversation between other beach goers about clustering their various insurance needs.  Flo can't keep quiet and springs into action telling them about bundling.  Why does Flo have to sound so manic and screechy?  I can barely make out what she's babbling about.  Has Flo always been this way or is it just on my nerves more?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Why does Flo have to sound so manic and screechy?  I can barely make out what she's babbling about.  Has Flo always been this way or is it just on my nerves more?

I think that's the character that they've crafted for her. There's a radio ad where she can't just chit-chat about the weather or whatever for 15 seconds before selling insurance. My (dear departed) father always said that she must be a relative of the execs, 'cause he disliked her so much :) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kimboweena said:

Admitting that I do watch soap operas (sigh), that actor is currently a love interest for one of the female leads on 'The Bold and the Beautiful.' He plays a doctor.

DoctorFinn.jpeg

Damn, Steffi's face is full of fillers and Botox, I barely recognized her.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Has anyone been seeing over and over again the Flo & The Gang "Beach Day" ad?  Flo can't be content to sun herself at the beach with her cohorts; she overhears a conversation between other beach goers about clustering their various insurance needs.  Flo can't keep quiet and springs into action telling them about bundling.  Why does Flo have to sound so manic and screechy?  I can barely make out what she's babbling about.  Has Flo always been this way or is it just on my nerves more?

I can deal with manic Flo easier than the flat, lackluster Mara (“super fun beach day, everybody”) - at least Flo is enthusiastic about her product, and the others obviously don’t give a flip!

Edited by OldStandard
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, OldStandard said:

I can deal with manic Flo easier than the flat, lackluster Mara (“super fun beach day, everybody”) - at least Flo is enthusiastic about her product, and the others obviously don’t give a flip!

Since I don't give a flip about Progressive insurance, I'm with Mara on this one.  Her flat, lackluster delivery is the only thing tolerable or the least bit funny to me!  😛

• Love 4
13 hours ago, dleighg said:

ad for Otezla. Young man going to front door with GF, obviously to meet the parents for the first time. Mom greets young man with a hug (a bit over-familiar in my world, but whatever) but what drives me NUTs is that she gives her daughter (over the young man's shoulder) this raised eyebrow look like "Ooo, he's NICE-looking." Totally inappropriate in my opinion. He hasn't said a word yet, so it's clearly just his looks.

Then he gets conscripted into rolling out pasta in one of those manual machines, and apparently the simple act of turning a crank proves he's a CATCH! Mom hugs him (AGAIN) and Dad makes some kind of "You're great!" motion with his hand.

Yuk, and Yuk. Maybe we're just a non-effusive family LOL. 

Perhaps her previous boyfriends smelled bad and this dude smells good.  It WOULD be a welcome change.

• LOL 7
9 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Since I don't give a flip about Progressive insurance, I'm with Mara on this one.  Her flat, lackluster delivery is the only thing tolerable or the least bit funny to me!  😛

I love Mara.  I’m waiting for the reveal that the sign spinner is her brother. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

DoctorFinn.jpeg

Do you happen to know his name!?  I'm just curious about something.  No Worries though.  Lifelong soaper here. DOOL was my poison for sooooooooooooooooooo many years and still is. And Then i took a break because i was mad they got rid of the best dude...well 2 dudes actually

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I love Mara.  I’m waiting for the reveal that the sign spinner is her brother. 

Hahahaha that would.be.Hysterical!  I love her too.  They better watch out Sign Spinner Guy, and Condos for Sale Guy 150k.  Didnt i see something thing the other day with water added?  Might be their new ad. ........if not Mara, then another selling cell phones.  Hopefully Mara though, she would be hysterical on a phone and trying to sell phones.

21 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

See, this ad and others which misuse sound to irritate the shit out me -- well, they, ah . . . they irritate the shit right out of me.

It's a boorish gimmick used by inconsiderate creatives who don't know how to behave as guests in our living rooms.

And yes, it's all the rage and I hate it.

Edited by TheCrankyCreative
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

See, this ad and others which misuse sound to irritate the shit out me -- well, they, ah . . . they irritate the shit right out of me.

It's a boorish gimmick used by inconsiderate creatives who don't know how to behave as guests in our living rooms.

And yes, it's all the rage and I hate it.

The one that instantly comes to mind is the one with the "strongest man in the world" with all of his disgusting grunting and shouting. Makes my skin crawl.

• Love 8

I'm not liking this recent Subway ad. It's one thing for Megan Rapinoe to suggest a sub sandwich instead of a greasy burrito, burger, etc. It's another for her to kick a damn soccer ball at your face to make her point.

• Love 6

I just have to roll my eyes at a new "Subway is the healthy choice, yo" campaign months after Ireland's high court ruled that, because Subway's bread is so ridiculously high in sugar, it can't even be classified as bread under the country's VAT rules, it's instead a confectionery for those purposes. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12