Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 1/31/2021 at 1:14 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Today I learned that Rula Lenska is a real person.

And I learned her name is Rula Lenska, not Rue LaLenska, as I had assumed, lol.

20 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

i finally saw the commercial I was talking about.  It’s Kohler’s shower head speaker called Moxie. It starts with a black woman in the shower, then the fat guy dancing with great enthusiasm, a white woman chair dancing on her toilet, a dad bathing his kid, two Asian girls dancing/singing in front of the bathroom mirror, and finally a black man in the shower.

What I can't stand about this commercial is that awful "zoom zoom zoom! zah zah zah!" song that accompanies it. IT'S HORRIBLE.

And speaking of annoying music, the AllState commercial with the guy driving around with the fishtank on his car and what I believe is some French operatic song playing underneath. I have no idea what it is, but good lord is it an assault on my ears.

And while I'm here, Jimmy Dean sausage may be tasty, but I HATE that screechy country harmonica music in their commercials. Cannot hit mute fast enough.

• Love 2

And speaking of annoying music, the AllState commercial with the guy driving around with the fishtank on his car and what I believe is some French operatic song playing underneath. I have no idea what it is, but good lord is it an assault on my ears.

That's Edith Piaf and I used to like that song before they started playing the commercial 80 million times a day.

• Love 12
41 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's Edith Piaf and I used to like that song before they started playing the commercial 80 million times a day.

It's also been used in multiple commercials in the past few years. It's excessive.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, knuckles491 said:

I can't press the mute button fast enough when that Edith Piaf song starts.

It's also been used in multiple commercials in the past few years. It's excessive.

My parents used to celebrate Bastille Day and it was a staple. So I only had to hear it once a year. Now it makes me want to storm the Bastille all over again.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

This is one Liberty Mutual spot I missed (thank God), but, just for shits and giggles, the kid who got the insurance--what kind of coverage did he "need"?

He needs to be insured against his jealous sibling beating the crap out of him for being Santa's favorite.

I think the mom at the end is funny because she reminds me (physically) of my upstairs neighbor, who is a real sweetheart of a person. (Big glasses and big hair)

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think the mom at the end is funny because she reminds me (physically) of my upstairs neighbor, who is a real sweetheart of a person. (Big glasses and big hair)

I like her because every mom has been there (with kids acting up) and knows that expression.  

• Love 6

"Hello, I am Roooola Lenska."

I actually heard her say it when I read the above. 

On 1/30/2021 at 5:48 AM, cynicat said:

I can't help but remember this commercial which is what I sing in my head every time I hear the words "ooey gooey" 

OMG! The memory! Two things: I never remember Fig Newtons being ooey gooey inside and the size of the cookies back then were much larger than today. It looks like you get at least 32 cookies in the package in that commercial. Today, you get 20 cookies that are half the size... 

Re: the stupid Insurance Christmas commercial: I can say with 100% certainty, that if I ever kicked a gift I just opened and stormed off, the gift would have been immediately removed from the house never to be seen again. 

Edited by configdotsys
  • Love 6
On 1/29/2021 at 11:42 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Liberty Mutual doesn't even insure bicycles, so why would they bother with a kid and a bike at Christmas?  I'd rather see the emu than a whining kid.

It's the "ol switcheroo" portion of the "Pyramid of Comedy".

On 1/30/2021 at 3:09 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Also, any commercial (or person) that uses the term “ooey gooey” can go right to hell. “Yummy” is bad, but “ooey gooey” is a whole other level.

My goto hate word is "melty".

The proper word is "molten".

On 1/31/2021 at 9:22 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

Up thread I mentioned a fat guy dancing in the shower. Nobody seemed to know what I was talking about, but it isn’t the acrobatic Delta guy. (Well choreographed and shot commercial.  The guy isn’t fat but I did not find his face attractive).

Ha ha, I just saw that commercial and remembered you saying that! 

• Love 2

I know we mentioned the ad (I think it's Dupixent) where the woman's jogging and detours around a pine cone, lest she trip & break a hip.  It would have killed her to kick it over to the grass with all the other pine cones... But now I noticed something else that annoys me. The last scenario in the commercial shows a woman clutching papers, folder, etc. to her chest with one hand as she starts to descend icy stairs. The ice cracks beneath her winter boot.  Why the hell isn't she holding on to the handrail?  What post-menopausal woman doesn't hold on to a handrail in the ice?  Most of us have balance issues already, without adding ice into the lot.  Thank you for "listening"

• Love 20
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What post-menopausal woman doesn't hold on to a handrail in the ice? 

Or always?  I used to roll my eyes at my mother's paranoia of falling.  Not anymore.  I don't even use the stairs in my own house without holding onto the rail.

• Love 19
37 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Or always?  I used to roll my eyes at my mother's paranoia of falling.  Not anymore.  I don't even use the stairs in my own house without holding onto the rail.

Why are we never told about the balance issues? You would think there'd be a billion dollar industry revolving around it. Is there something  that Big Cane doesn't want us to know?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 18
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why are we never told about the balance issues? You would think there'd be a billion dollar industry revolving around it. Is there something  that Big Cane doesn't want us to know?

Oh my god, "Big Cane" is making me cry-laugh!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 2/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, CrystalBlue said:

That's why I said this ad makes no sense because Liberty Mutual doesn't insure bicycles.  Or anything else the brat operates:  skateboard, roller blades?  Whatever.  I hope this seasonal delight has by now been shelved -- until Xmas 2021, of course.

I am confused; it's a joke (perhaps a crappy one!), so making sense in regard to actual insurance coverage itself is not really the point.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am confused; it's a joke (perhaps a crappy one!), so making sense in regard to actual insurance coverage itself is not really the point.

Even a joke can have a basis that makes sense.  I hate the stupid commercial!  The boys and their mother are annoying.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Bob Eubanks would like to talk to you about your balance issues (and if it effects how you make whoopie). 

Only he ain't talking, he's showing!  😃  Another stupid commercial with that annoying music and questions about why the spokesperson is so desperate for a few bucks they shoot a commercial like this.  Trying to stay relevant?  😛  Another oldster advertising something for oldsters (and imbalanced people of all ages).

Folks, 
We all agree there is an insurance commercial where one child gets insurance and the other is disappointed to get a bicycle.  Some people find it funny.  Others hate it with the fire of a thousand burning suns.  Others don't care.  All of these opinions and expressing these opinions are absolutely fine.  

What's not okay is attacking someone else for their opinion of or confusion about the commercial.  Let's be civil.  Posts have been hidden.  

Aren't there other annoying commercials we can discuss?  Where is Tom Selleck when we need him?  He knows what's what! 

• Love 6
On 2/1/2021 at 5:27 PM, Giuseppe said:

And while I'm here, Jimmy Dean sausage may be tasty, but I HATE that screechy country harmonica music in their commercials. Cannot hit mute fast enough.

I HHAAAATE that commercial too, whoever made it needs to fuck off into the sun

• Love 1

If I have to listen to that Univ of Phoenix guy whine one more time about how being told that his job was non-essential made him feel like he couldn't do something, I'm going all Elvis on my tv.  No, you jackass, it just meant that you didn't have to go to work during a pandemic and potentially be exposed to covid-19, unlike those of us whose jobs are considered essential.

• Love 9

Today I learned that Rula Lenska is a real person.

I remember that shampoo commercial from the 70s, although at the time I had no idea who she was.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:02 AM, Browncoat said:

There is nearly always music in my head, so, yes.

Mine, too.  I often catch myself dancing to it in the elevator at work.  The guards who watch the security cameras must find it very amusing.  Oh, and I also dance around to it in the shower.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:13 PM, janie jones said:

Yep, the Dove commercial using it made sense, since the concept was a woman living her whole life over every day, and regretting nothing.  But the insurance commercial using it is just stupid.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, the Dove commercial using it made sense, since the concept was a woman living her whole life over every day, and regretting nothing.  But the insurance commercial using it is just stupid.

Sensical or not, I'll take it over using a pig squealing at 100+ decibels as a marketing technique.

• Love 5
Just now, configdotsys said:

LOL. Me too. No clue. I just re?"ember seeing her and hearing "I'm Rooooola Lenska."

I remember at the time everybody saying "Who the hell is that? Are we supposed to know who she is?" All I know was that is was for some VO5 product.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

"I'm Rula Lenska." And as one, an entire nation stopped what it was doing, turned to each other, and said in unison, "Who the fuck is Rula Lenska?" It was sort-of the "apply directly to the forehead" of its time. 

Truly. That was just about exactly what happened. And we didn't have Google back then.😢

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Medicare Helpline: "But with all those people over 65 calling, won't the lines be busy?"  I frequently yell at the TV, "I don't know, Toots. Why don't you call & find out?"

What pisses me off is they never answer her question. "But with all those people over 65 calling, won't the lines be busy?"  The only response we get is "The Medicare Helpline is now open." Yes. WE KNOW THAT. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Is it too early to discuss the Super Bowl commercials?  I'll go ahead and say this the one with Will Ferrell against Norway is just stupid!  It's a shame because he used to be such a funny guy but here he is annoying A.F.!!

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

Is it too early to discuss the Super Bowl commercials?  I'll go ahead and say this the one with Will Ferrell against Norway is just stupid!  It's a shame because he used to be such a funny guy but here he is annoying A.F.!!

He's really lost his comedy mojo. I wonder why?

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

Yeah, threatening to destroy Norway is such a good All American look.  😒

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I think Rula Lenska is a British actress. And I think she's still alive and acting in Great Britain. At least she was a couple of years ago when a friend mentioned her and I googled her.

But back to commercials, the Chime Banking one where I want to smack the young woman who goes into the office bragging she already got paid. The other thing about her that annoys me no end is that in her entire piece she sounds like she's about to break into giggles. A lot of young women talk like that and it's annoying. I don't know if it's an affectation or some sort of speech impediment or if they are about to break into giggles, but it's annoying AF.

• Love 9