Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

My ranking for those commercials would be Ratt, clogging, aunts, fencing, but Ratt only edges out clogging because of the hair band nostalgia factor for me.

For me, it would be Ratt, aunts, clogging, fencing.  Aunts is above clogging only because the clogging one is creepy. The cloggers' expressionlessness bothers me, and it kind of reminds me of that story about the girl whose shoes make her dance uncontrollably. The Fencing one is the worst because it doesn't make sense -- why would your neighbors' fencing be in your yard or inside your house?

4 hours ago, Ashforth said:

The one with Joanna saying "box this stuff up so I don't have to cook when I get home" works my nerve. Isn't the set her pretend "home kitchen" i.e. she is already at home? And for her to order her minions who undoubtedly cooked all of the food she pretended she made to box it up for her just burns me up. I actually liked her and Chip when Fixer Upper started but boy, the bloom has been off that rose for a long time.

That fucking wink after she she says that, too. I'd probably like her a lot more if it weren't for her husband, who is as obnoxious as fuck. I can't imagine anyone I'd want to be around would put up with him. Also, I like home design shows, but I got tired of theirs soon due to the annoying husband, them calling perfectly decent houses "fixer-uppers," and the fact that all her designs are so similar. At least other designers try to include the homeowners' tastes. I don't need to see her in a cooking show, and the commercials don't do anything to change my mind.

• Love 4

For me, it would be Ratt, aunts, clogging, fencing.  Aunts is above clogging only because the clogging one is creepy. The cloggers' expressionlessness bothers me, and it kind of reminds me of that story about the girl whose shoes make her dance uncontrollably. The Fencing one is the worst because it doesn't make sense -- why would your neighbors' fencing be in your yard or inside your house?

Same here. the clogging one bugs me because A. Their dead faces and B. Aren't cloggers supposed to wear, oh I don't know, clogs? Tap shoes are right out.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

That fucking wink after she says that, too... I don't need to see her in a cooking show, and the commercials don't do anything to change my mind.

YES. I realized that I left out the wink as she waltzes away. It just makes her look like that much more of a jerk to me. There is nothing about the ads for this show that make me want to see it. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Back on topic, for some reason the skinny redhead with her own unique sneeze (Achoo!) in the Walgreens ad irks me to high heaven.

I can't stand her.  I want to slap her silly. Her husband/boyfriend whatever is hot though. So is Mike Rowe. He's my TV boyfriend. 

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, janie jones said:

. The Fencing one is the worst because it doesn't make sense -- why would your neighbors' fencing be in your yard or inside your house?

You can definitely have a fence(ing) problem with your house.   Yours is over the property line, neighbor's is on your property, it right on the property line and each owner expects the other to pay to fix it, a neighbor thinks it's their fence and tears it down.   Just watch People's Court.  Fencing cases are a dime a dozen.   I still agree it's the weakest of the lot.   Everyone knows the aunt problem is the best one.  Lol

• Love 4

I don't really know why, but I'm kind of annoyed by the McDonald's commercial that has two young women so caught up in eating McDonald's food that they (gasp) unwittingly listen to a few seconds of "Endless Summer Nights" by Richard Marx without changing the station!  I never bought any of his albums and just one single, but his songs used to be on the radio constantly when I was in middle school, and it sort of makes me feel like McDonald's is mocking people my age in an effort to try to get younger people to eat their food.  I guess Marx doesn't mind the mocking of his music though, since he wrote the song and presumably gets paid for this ad!

I also didn't like their previous ad where a guy keeps changing his mind about what he wants at the drive-thru.  He is very annoying, but I do think the car way back in line might have jumped the gun by honking so soon.  He's too far back to hear the guy and know he's constantly changing his mind, so for all he knows, the guy might have just been making a really big order.  I do not know why I gave that any thought.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

He's too far back to hear the guy and know he's constantly changing his mind, so for all he knows, the guy might have just been making a really big order.  I do not know why I gave that any thought.

It's a little different right now since drive-thru is the only option, but during normal times if you have a really big order, go inside.  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

You can definitely have a fence(ing) problem with your house.   Yours is over the property line, neighbor's is on your property, it right on the property line and each owner expects the other to pay to fix it, a neighbor thinks it's their fence and tears it down.   Just watch People's Court.  Fencing cases are a dime a dozen.   I still agree it's the weakest of the lot.   Everyone knows the aunt problem is the best one.  Lol

Where my SIL lives, the fences are put up when the houses are built by the builder, so no problem with the walls and property lines. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's a little different right now since drive-thru is the only option, but during normal times if you have a really big order, go inside.  

Back when I worked in fast food, occasionally someone with a big order would call it in ahead of time, so we could have it ready when the arrived(either at the counter or drive-thru).

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Maverick said:

None of those things are what's in the commercial, though. The neighbors' fencing is on their front porch and in their living room. Even then shittiest neighbor isn't going to bust into your home and erect fencing while you're sitting on your couch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Having trouble with the quote feature, but I can't love the comments below enough!!! When those ads come on, I can't grab the remote fast enough to press the mute button!!! Both the Folger's and the Flo and family ads...all of them!!!

ON DECEMBER 28, 2020 AT 11:39 AM, PEACHESLATOUR SAID:
The new Folger's commercial singer's voice make want to jam railroad spikes into my eardrums.

Since when is screaming like a stuck pig considered singing?  I absolutely hate the Folgers singer.

The other one I can’t stand is Flo’s family singing Danny Boy.  It’s nails on a chalkboard to me. 

• Love 3

Progressive has yet another video chat with Flo and the gang commercial, commemorating the Covid pandemic.  This time Jamie is the featured goofball, bragging about his beard that he's been growing.  The other white guy on the team asks if Jamie even knows what a beard is.  It's pretty hysterical for an insurance ad, once you realize the hidden meaning!  😛

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Progressive has yet another video chat with Flo and the gang commercial, commemorating the Covid pandemic.  This time Jamie is the featured goofball, bragging about his beard that he's been growing.  The other white guy on the team asks if Jamie even knows what a beard is.  It's pretty hysterical for an insurance ad, once you realize the hidden meaning!  😛

Yeah, that one is pretty funny.

• Love 4
On 1/9/2021 at 10:04 AM, chessiegal said:

And no one has a rock band in their house, clogging neighbors upstairs, and is run over by an abundance of aunts. The fencing scenario makes perfect sense to me.

The difference, to me, is that Ratt is in the basement, where actual rats would be; the aunts are all over the house and coming uncontrollably, like actual ants; and the clogging is happening in the upstairs neighbors' apartment, which can actually affect the downstairs apartment. Correspondingly, the neighbors' fencing should only be where actual fencing would be, which is not inside someone else's home.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 14
16 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

And just imagine how much more satisfying the ad would be were they use the beard gag to announce the permanent shaving off of Flo from the ads or 'Net pop ups! 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

That flew right over my head until you pointed it out!

• Love 2

This has been covered, I think, but the ads (for what, I don't even know) featuring the fat old fart. showing people how not to turn into their parents has got to go.  I'm 66 and don't exhibit any of those behaviors/traits...nor did my parents!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

This has been covered, I think, but the ads (for what, I don't even know) featuring the fat old fart. showing people how not to turn into their parents has got to go.  I'm 66 and don't exhibit any of those behaviors/traits...nor did my parents!

But I bet you know some people who do.  If your parents didn't do any of those things and you don't either, maybe you DID turn into your parents.  LOL

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
On 1/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, Ashforth said:

YES. I realized that I left out the wink as she waltzes away. It just makes her look like that much more of a jerk to me. There is nothing about the ads for this show that make me want to see it. 

I HATE this commercial!   And while it very well may be a waltz I see it as a weird almost slo-mo walk of a lumbering ogre.  It took me aback when I first saw it bc while I don’t really know her or watch her shows I gather she’s a person who personifies “perfection” and I can’t believe she green lit that promo it’s so bad. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But I bet you know some people who do.  If your parents didn't do any of those things and you don't either, maybe you DID turn into your parents.  LOL

I love those commercials. I finally got to see the one where he throws away the "live, laugh, love" sign. No offense but I don't need my walls to tell me how to feel. My aunt had the Serenity Prayer on her bathroom wall. Depressed me every time I went in there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
On 1/7/2021 at 6:46 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

My order is Clogging, Aunts, Fencing, Ratt.  (I'm too old for hair bands LOL)  And I like the Aunts because, I said before, I had the same suitcase Aunt Joanie does.

That's my order too.

On 1/8/2021 at 1:24 PM, janie jones said:

For me, it would be Ratt, aunts, clogging, fencing.  Aunts is above clogging only because the clogging one is creepy. The cloggers' expressionlessness bothers me, and it kind of reminds me of that story about the girl whose shoes make her dance uncontrollably.

"The Red Shoes," by Hans Christian Anderson. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Shoes_(fairy_tale)

21 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I never even got that.

Big on my current hate list is the Popeyes commercials where the guy sings because he got Popeyes delivered. His voice is so freaking annoying. I see it ad nauseum on the streaming sites I watch. There is a newer one now, with a woman, who is so much better. The concept is still annoying, however.

• Love 3

Big on my current hate list is the Popeyes commercials where the guy sings because he got Popeyes delivered. His voice is so freaking annoying. I see it ad nauseum on the streaming sites I watch. There is a newer one now, with a woman, who is so much better. The concept is still annoying, however.

Mine is the Candy Crush one with the terrible screaming song. I hear that fucking thing in my sleep.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Lol! Good point! I would love to be half as good as either of them, though!

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Me too.

Add me to that list!

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Aww, I think they are hilarious.  And I'm rethinking the "rise and shine" sign I have above my coffee bar.  

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
On 1/8/2021 at 1:24 PM, janie jones said:

The Fencing one is the worst because it doesn't make sense -- why would your neighbors' fencing be in your yard or inside your house?

When I see it, I think the problem is with their fencing, not their neighbors. If their fencing was better, the neighbors wouldn't be in their yard.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

When I see it, I think the problem is with their fencing, not their neighbors. If their fencing was better, the neighbors wouldn't be in their yard.

I thought they were fencing next door in their own yard, but that the yards are relatively small.

I'm actually looking forward to the next Geico 'don't turn into your parents' episode; I find them all very entertaining. 

Re. the discussion up top about the most annoying jingle, I'm sure it's been mentioned many times, but SKYRIZZI! And now they've redone the 'song' with a different female singer who wobbles and scoops all over the place:

Ugh Skyrizzi 

Aargh- the way she sings 'plan'! I can't believe they managed to make this even more insufferable.

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I'm actually looking forward to the next Geico 'don't turn into your parents' episode; I find them all very entertaining. 

Re. the discussion up top about the most annoying jingle, I'm sure it's been mentioned many times, but SKYRIZZI! And now they've redone the 'song' with a different female singer who wobbles and scoops all over the place:

Ugh Skyrizzi 

Aargh- the way she sings 'plan'! I can't believe they managed to make this even more insufferable.

I know right? It's still just as gawdawful as it ever was. Instant mute.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Haleth said:

Aww, I think they are hilarious.  And I'm rethinking the "rise and shine" sign I have above my coffee bar.  

If you like it, keep it...life is too short. And I think I would resent any advice from thar walrus-looking slob

• LOL 5
29 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

If you like it, keep it...life is too short. And I think I would resent any advice from thar walrus-looking slob

Ooh  - that would make a good sign!

And hey! One person’s walrus-looking slob is another’s comforting avuncular figure. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
On 1/7/2021 at 6:46 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

My order is Clogging, Aunts, Fencing, Ratt.  (I'm too old for hair bands LOL)  And I like the Aunts because, I said before, I had the same suitcase Aunt Joanie does.

Now it's become Clogging, Aunts, Bagpipes, Fencing, Ratt.  I just saw the bagpipes one while watching Colbert.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Now it's become Clogging, Aunts, Bagpipes, Fencing, Ratt.  I just saw the bagpipes one while watching Colbert.

Bagpipes?? I haven't heard that one yet!...I'll rate after I hear that one.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've got a sign in my kitchen - it's a 50s-looking waitress saying, "Coffee! Have another cup. You can sleep when you're dead."   Even though I rarely drink coffee, as a Warren Zevon fan, I *had* to buy it.

I'm fond of this:

image.png.8368b8851f375fdbd654c98e82223870.png

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
On 1/7/2021 at 8:48 PM, QuinnInND said:

Ok discovery. Enough of the ads for discovery plus, and the stupid thing in the upper right of the screen incessantly. Annoying as hell. 

I have actually quit watching ID channel and tlc channel for this exact reason.   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm of the opinion that the only thing worth listening to that's ever come out of his mouth was his defense of Billie Eilish last year.

Honestly I don't listen to popular Top 40 music so I had no idea that is who sang that until I looked it up on You Tube to put it in the comments here.  Why?  Why?  Why did they execs at Samsung use THAT as a means of advertising Samsung??  What the A.F. does that song even have to do with buying a Samsung product??

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

Honestly I don't listen to popular Top 40 music so I had no idea that is who sang that until I looked it up on You Tube to put it in the comments here.  Why?  Why?  Why did they execs at Samsung use THAT as a means of advertising Samsung??  What the A.F. does that song even have to do with buying a Samsung product??

At first I just found it depressing and felt very sorry for whoever wrote it, thinking they must be in so much pain. Then I looked up who wrote it. My sympathy evaporated like spilled nail polish remover on a hot sidewalk.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1