Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

My friend and I spent a full ten minutes of our weekly call discussing how annoying the bow-tied kid in the Shriners Hospital commercials is, especially at the end of this one, which I cannot believe is an actual effort at soliciting donations rather than a parody of such ads:

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My friend and I spent a full ten minutes of our weekly call discussing how annoying the bow-tied kid in the Shriners Hospital commercials is, especially at the end of this one, which I cannot believe is an actual effort at soliciting donations rather than a parody of such ads:

I think he's awesome.  He's so upbeat.  I don't know how he is when he's not on camera, but I love the attitude. there are a lot of people a lot better off who are a lot more miserable.

• Love 13

There are two newer commercials that bug the heck out of me.  One is for insurance where the woman says “Do you remember so-and-so? He says “yeah, the guy in his 70’s who still runs marathons”.  The woman responds “Not anymore”.  It’s the snotty way she says not anymore that bothers me.

And then we have the Coors beer commercial where the woman rips off her bra and the voiceover says it’s the official beer of being done wearing a bra.  What the hell does one thing have to do with the other?  It’s just stupid. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

And then we have the Coors beer commercial where the woman rips off her bra and the voiceover says it’s the official beer of being done wearing a bra.  What the hell does one thing have to do with the other?  It’s just stupid. 

I’m not a big beer drinker, but I definitely see where they’re going with that. You’re home, time to kick back, relax, not have to wear outside clothes.  Maybe it would have made more sense a year ago. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

There are two newer commercials that bug the heck out of me.  One is for insurance where the woman says “Do you remember so-and-so? He says “yeah, the guy in his 70’s who still runs marathons”.  The woman responds “Not anymore”.  It’s the snotty way she says not anymore that bothers me.

Some women take their clothes off after drinking too much beer?  That's all I've got.  Next they'll have guys going commando after drinking Coors!

• LOL 6
2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

Some women take their clothes off after drinking too much beer?  That's all I've got

IMO, taking off one’s clothes and taking off one’s bra are two very different things. YMMV. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I think he's awesome.  He's so upbeat.  I don't know how he is when he's not on camera, but I love the attitude. there are a lot of people a lot better off who are a lot more miserable.

My heart goes out to all the Shriner's kids, so I can't hate on their commercials.  That and the St. Jude Hospital kids, and of course the homeless, abused and neglected animals.  I may not wholeheartedly enjoy the ads, but I can't hate the innocents of this world.

1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

IMO, taking off one’s clothes and taking off one’s bra are two very different things. YMMV. 

I don't need beer to take off my bra.  😏

• Love 14
15 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I may not wholeheartedly enjoy the ads, but I can't hate the innocents of this world.

I don't hate him - just like I don't hate the animals in those godsawful fundraising commercials - I think he's been scripted/directed to be way too much, and thus he annoys me in the commercials.  I truly have a hard time comprehending that one I embedded is a real ad, not a parody of such ads, he is so exaggerated even given the norms of the genre.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't hate him - just like I don't hate the animals in those godsawful fundraising commercials - I think he's been scripted/directed to be way too much, and thus he annoys me in the commercials.  I truly have a hard time comprehending that one I embedded is a real ad, not a parody of such ads, he is so exaggerated even given the norms of the genre.

I think the commercials that feature him are failures because I can't understand a freakin' thing he says.  I'm sorry these kids are afflicted, as well as the St. Jude's kids and the cleft-palate kids and I'm sorry for the homeless and abused animals, but, jeez, after 10 months of lockdown, I'd rather see something a bit more uplifting.

• Love 8

This ^^

Also I am a supporter of charities for children and animals. I donate to many different ones every year.  But not to those that advertise on TV.

I also try to keep a lot of my donations local although national charities are important to me depending on the cause.

If they have a big enough budget to air ads ad nauseam,  then they don't need my help.  That's my feeling. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I may not wholeheartedly enjoy the ads, but I can't hate the innocents of this world.

I feel much the same way about the Noom ads.  I don't really like most of the people in the commercials, but I know how hard it is to lose weight and how amazing it makes you feel when you are able to do so, so I can't help but smile at the woman who finds shopping for clothes a much different experience now.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think he's awesome too. But his voice is so high pitched that dog three blocks away start barking when he speaks.

I don't need beer to take off my bra.  😏

Yep. Second thing I used to do after taking off my shoes at the end of the work day as soon as I walked in my front door. It's easy to take your bra off under your sweater. I was always the first one home in the evening, so no ooh la la's from the old man!

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

The new Samsung commercial where they sing senseless lyrics about being lonely makes me want to strangle the fucking idiot who actually thought it was worth hearing. Fuck the product shut the fuck up. Whining people who don't know what real struggle is.

• Love 2

A number of commercials are irritating me right now:

1. The commercials for Universal Standard, which I guess is some sort of new clothing line I've never heard of before. I'm very happy all these women find clothes that fit them and all, but NO ONE other than a marketer or ad execs refers to a clothing line as a "brand," as in, "I've finally found a brand I like." I also can't stand the smug woman who proclaims how much she loves the "real, diverse models." Models are real people too; they're just way skinnier than average people.

2. This one might be local, but there is a commercial for Fisher Investments who has the most wooden, affect-less spokesperson sitting at her desk talking about how their business model is so much better for investors. She sounds like she really couldn't care less.

3. The Breville ad with the voiceover woman who continues the annoying trend, begun by Panera, of pronouncing the word "food" as "fewd."

Thanks, guys! I feel better now!

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I refer to a "brand:" - Lee Jeans are the only brand I'll buy because they're the only ones that fit me, so, yeah. "I finally found a brand that I like."  The other two items, I know nothing about.  LOL

Maybe it’s just the way that it was worded. I think she actually said, “I’ve finally found a brand I can belong to.” In your example, you’re basically saying you’ve found a brand of jeans you like. It’s different than the way this is presented, where she’s not talking about a brand of a thing, she’s just talking about the company as a brand.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Eliot said:

Maybe it’s just the way that it was worded. I think she actually said, “I’ve finally found a brand I can belong to.” In your example, you’re basically saying you’ve found a brand of jeans you like. It’s different than the way this is presented, where she’s not talking about a brand of a thing, she’s just talking about the company as a brand.

I know what you mean. It's like instead of saying the Kardashian family, they say the Kardashian "brand'.

• Love 1

I used to watch a lot of Discovery channels, but having to watch Joanna Gaines smugly cavorting around her kitchen almost every commercial break is driving me away! Not the desired effect.

And her cooing to her young son, "You gonna help Mama cook today?" makes me stabby.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

And her cooing to her young son, "You gonna help Mama cook today?" makes me stabby.

at least Chip isn't in this commercial.  Then there's the other one where she says "What have you done, Chip?", sounding like someone annoyed with their dog for soiling the rug.

• LOL 7
5 minutes ago, cinsays said:

at least Chip isn't in this commercial.  Then there's the other one where she says "What have you done, Chip?", sounding like someone annoyed with their dog for soiling the rug.

My family actually had a dog named Chipper. I thought it was stupid so I renamed him Scruffy. Any more I just give animals human names like Robert or Vivian.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

This commercial gets on my nerves for a few reasons:

The younger child seems way too gullible to believe the ad/spam/whatever (ok - that can happen).

He claims the family is "rich" when the house they're living in looks pretty expensive already!  They have a large house, nice kitchen and a pool.  It's not like they're living in a lousy neighborhood or a cracker box.

The eyeglasses annoy me!

• Love 1

But he's like 5. Maybe his family is already rich, but he doesn't know how much money it takes to achieve that. If you ask kids that age to guess how old their family members are, they'll say mom is 14 and grandma is 20. Or mom is 300 and grandma is 400. He just knows he won money. Now, I don't know that's what they were going for, but I can see a rich little kid not knowing they were rich. I think it'd be funnier if the kid had "won" something more like $100.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's a good thing they made the family look well-off, because if they didn't look so comfortable, it would be a downer of a commercial to see the kid get disappointed that they actually hadn't won anything.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My family actually had a dog named Chipper. I thought it was stupid so I renamed him Scruffy. Any more I just give animals human names like Robert or Vivian.

My brother & SIL got a puppy. At the time, there was a dog food commercial featuring a puppy that they were going to film eating their food as she grew up. The puppy's name was Margo so my incredibly imaginative SIL named their puppy Margo.  Then they moved and the place they moved to didn't allow big dogs (by now she was a full-grown shepherd) so they gave her to my parents, who absolutely loved the dog. I thought Margo was a stupid name because it was based on a commercial, so I called her Sugarlips.  She knew that when she heard "Sugarlips' that it was me calling her.  I thought that was so sweet, even *I* liked the dog, cat lady that I am. My dad was bereft when the Sugarlips eventually died. She was well-loved, if stupidly named.

• Love 8

The Prevagen ads bug me. This couple that "we take care of ourselves, it's important" say they've been taking it for 12 years. "And it still makes a difference-- I can tell." How can you tell if you've been taking it for 12 years? You just know you'd be stupid as heck by now if you weren't taking it?

Or are you doing double blind trials every year to prove that it still works?

• Love 17

Hello all.  I just discovered this page, so it may have been mentioned before.  What's with all the people who are dancing in commercials?  People in real life don't dance in their kitchens and living rooms.  At least once I day I am seeing people dance about vitamins, clear skin, life insurance, nutrisystem, you name it.  

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My brother & SIL got a puppy. At the time, there was a dog food commercial featuring a puppy that they were going to film eating their food as she grew up. The puppy's name was Margo so my incredibly imaginative SIL named their puppy Margo.  Then they moved and the place they moved to didn't allow big dogs (by now she was a full-grown shepherd) so they gave her to my parents, who absolutely loved the dog. I thought Margo was a stupid name because it was based on a commercial, so I called her Sugarlips.  She knew that when she heard "Sugarlips' that it was me calling her.  I thought that was so sweet, even *I* liked the dog, cat lady that I am. My dad was bereft when the Sugarlips eventually died. She was well-loved, if stupidly named.

I know what you mean. My incredibly imaginative in laws named all their dogs after tv characters. There was a "Fonzie" and a "Laverne". although their last dog, whom I loved, was a rescue Shih Tzu who was already called "Jasper" so they just kept the name. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, knuckles491 said:

Hello all.  I just discovered this page, so it may have been mentioned before.  What's with all the people who are dancing in commercials?  People in real life don't dance in their kitchens and living rooms.  At least once I day I am seeing people dance about vitamins, clear skin, life insurance, nutrisystem, you name it. 

Winning a game of Wheel of Fortune on your phone!   I don't see Marie Osmond dancing for Nutrisystem. But, y'know, considering ALL the years she's been promoting it, shouldn't she be a twig by now? Or does she stop and gain it all back & have to start over again with that crap fake food.  You know why the portions are so small? So you won't barf from eating a satisfying amount.  When I tried it, I gagged on each and every thing they offered, even the "shakes."  I got all my money back.  Hahahaha

But on the other hand, maybe we'd all feel better about lockdown if we did a little bit of dancing every day. I think I'll start out the with Hokey Pokey...anybody else up for turning yourself around?

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But on the other hand, maybe we'd all feel better about lockdown if we did a little bit of dancing every day. I think I'll start out the with Hokey Pokey...anybody else up for turning yourself around?

Thanks to Stephen King's episode of The X-Files, I'd expect to be murdered by a talking doll if I played that song.

What's with all the people who are dancing in commercials?  People in real life don't dance in their kitchens and living rooms.  At least once I day I am seeing people dance about vitamins, clear skin, life insurance, nutrisystem, you name it. 

I dance around the house occasionally, but not in response to nearly as many things as sets people to boogying in commercials, no.  It would definitely be more believable in a commercial for, say, Tito's Vodka sponsoring a Totally '80s Weekend a local radio station.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, dleighg said:

The Prevagen ads bug me. This couple that "we take care of ourselves, it's important" say they've been taking it for 12 years. "And it still makes a difference-- I can tell." How can you tell if you've been taking it for 12 years? You just know you'd be stupid as heck by now if you weren't taking it?

Or are you doing double blind trials every year to prove that it still works?

yes!  i have the same reaction.  unless you stop for 6 months and suddenly can't add 2 and 2 you don't know if you still need it.  

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, cinsays said:

yes!  i have the same reaction.  unless you stop for 6 months and suddenly can't add 2 and 2 you don't know if you still need it.  

Maybe they’re comparing themselves to people around them?  Or other people in general?  Although I’m not taking any supplements, and I still sometimes feel that way. 

I definitely dance around the house from time to time.  Often while I'm singing. 

But while you're mowing the lawn? I can't remember the product (good job advertisers) but there is a commercial where a woman is dancing while mowing the lawn. I'm calling BS on that one.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 6
52 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

But while you're mowing the lawn? I can't remember the product (good job advertisers) but there is a commercial where a woman is dancing while mowing the lawn. I'm calling BS on that one.

Nope, definitely do not dance while mowing the lawn.  That's more of a trudge.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's not dancing. That's running the lawn mower over a nest of yellow jackets.  Ask my sister-in-law.

• LOL 13

Nutrafol. The hair growth products for women with thinning hair. The woman in the commercial has a thick, wild,wavy head of hair. She's allegedly a "doctor" with expertise in hair growth.

HahaHa and Lol. I call BS on this product. 

• Love 6

There's a  new commercial in an ad campaign for some kind of car buying app featuring people thruout history apparently getting screwed with some ancient greeks, one of whom has triangular tires on his chariot who is interrupted by a woman in a minivan opening the side door to plug the product and closing the door before anyone can respond. How rude! 

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Ubiquit0us said:

There's a  new commercial in an ad campaign for some kind of car buying app featuring people thruout history apparently getting screwed with some ancient greeks, one of whom has triangular tires on his chariot who is interrupted by a woman in a minivan opening the side door to plug the product and closing the door before anyone can respond. How rude! 

Autotrader commercials!  I love them.  I don't think our Ancient Greek Goddess Claire is being rude; I took it to mean that the van's door was automatically closing while she was listening to the Greeks guess who she is.

• Love 5

I just have to say that I don't hate the optics of this T-Mobile commercial, which are rather pretty with their hot pink neon lights and US map, but I am so bloody sick of hearing Queen's "I Want It All" chorus over and over again.  And I don't even hate Queen, it's just that it's so sickening that Queen has become one of the go-to ripped off rock groups for commercials ("We Are The Champions" anyone?).  It gets stuck in my head and I can't stand it anymore!

Edited by CrystalBlue
missed a letter in a word
  • Love 9
On 1/15/2021 at 10:43 PM, Bastet said:

What's with all the people who are dancing in commercials?  People in real life don't dance in their kitchens and living rooms.

That reminds me of an old commercial that was a combo eye roll/gag for me.  I think it was for a wood stain and it showed a bunch of people on the back deck of their house dancing around on the newly stained wood in their bare feet (I think they were doing The Twist).  Maybe because I have a bare feet fetish (and not in a good or creepy way) but that commercial just annoyed me to where I was like, "stop grounding your foot-stank into the newly painted deck!)

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, ctlady said:

That reminds me of an old commercial that was a combo eye roll/gag for me.  I think it was for a wood stain and it showed a bunch of people on the back deck of their house dancing around on the newly stained wood in their bare feet (I think they were doing The Twist).  Maybe because I have a bare feet fetish (and not in a good or creepy way) but that commercial just annoyed me to where I was like, "stop grounding your foot-stank into the newly painted deck!)

It made me cringe because ouch! splinters!

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

With that stain, there won't be any.  At least that's the idea. But bare feet are just icky. Ewww. *shudder*

My parents had a big deck and stained it. It was still possible to get splinters. Bare feet are cleaner than smelly, sweaty ones in shoes.

• Love 7