Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, dleighg said:

The Humera ad, where there's a somewhat diverse group of young band members. The front gal singer keeps having to go off to the bathroom in the middle of practice or even just before the gig is supposed to start. What bugs me is that there is NO SONG. They just keep doing this totally stupid "La La La LAAA La La La LAAAA" over and over again. I guess they were too cheap to actually pay for some musical content, even terrible musical content.

Not to mention, instead of all the bandmates looking 'oh so concerned' wouldn't they have more likely have looked annoyed at the mounting bathroom breaks? 

I know it's a commercial not reality but it might have been more appealing had she been shown either not getting spots in bands due to her 'rep' or the band flat out telling her that she needed to get her. .. .stuff together or they'd find someone more reliable(  like Rula Lenska) to belt out their numbers!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I was going to say that, while I find the commercials hilarious, I don't think Dr. Rick himself is particularly funny - and then "We all see it" popped into my head, and never mind.

I think Dr. Rick works better for those in the Midwest or more conservative cities or rural areas.  Big city people and East and West Coasters probably don't relate as much.  I mean, I've lived in So California all my life and am thinking, "What, you're just now noticing people with blue hair?"  😀  Although, I can relate to the lady with the pillows on her couch.  I feel her pain.  Hands off my pillows!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I think Dr. Rick works better for those in the Midwest or more conservative cities or rural areas.  Big city people and East and West Coasters probably don't relate as much.  I mean, I've lived in So California all my life and am thinking, "What, you're just now noticing people with blue hair?"  😀 

I don't need to relate to find it funny; I don't recognize myself or my parents in the vast majority of scenarios these commercials have presented, but they make me laugh because of the acting.  I've lived in Los Angeles all my life, so, no, I don't have any reaction to blue hair.  But the actors have such great line delivery, that blue hair sequence is one of my favorites of the whole series.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I think Dr. Rick works better for those in the Midwest or more conservative cities or rural areas.  Big city people and East and West Coasters probably don't relate as much.  I mean, I've lived in So California all my life and am thinking, "What, you're just now noticing people with blue hair?"  😀  Although, I can relate to the lady with the pillows on her couch.  I feel her pain.  Hands off my pillows!

I live in Michigan, where we have plenty of people with blue hair (also, pink, purple, green, orange, etc) and don't relate to anything he says.

I'm right there with you, with regard to pillows, by the way

• Love 1
17 hours ago, dleighg said:

The Humera ad, where there's a somewhat diverse group of young band members. The front gal singer keeps having to go off to the bathroom in the middle of practice or even just before the gig is supposed to start. What bugs me is that there is NO SONG. They just keep doing this totally stupid "La La La LAAA La La La LAAAA" over and over again. I guess they were too cheap to actually pay for some musical content, even terrible musical content.

Oh come on now. You know the song. It's the one that goes, "AHHHHHHHHHH."

15 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

"Dr. Rick," and I believe the Commercials are for Progressive (?). He is SUCH an annoying D-bag.

The assinine premise that when you buy a house, you not only turn into your parents but you dress like a sclub, change your speech pattern, become totally clueless to obvious things, etc. are what I hate about these commercials. Why is it terrible for a 30 year old to read a book about submarines and be made to feel like he's wrong to do so? Did he gain his interest in them after buying a house and buying insurance? It makes zero sense. The moron with the "jala-peeno" poppers forgot how to pronouce it because he bought a house? The woman with her frumpy gait, "big lunch" and "small snack" for dinner sounds like she's trying to channel Gilda Radner. It just doesn't make any sense. The way the guy says "Blu!" about the hair is funny, but it's just so disconnected from the commercial which purports to show what people turn into after they buy a house. 

If the commercials were showing people comparing the value of using one type of pvc piping or light switch cover plates, fighting over plumbing supplies, etc. that could make for funny commercials because when people buy a house, they do start paying attention to the smallest things like that and there are endless scenarios that they could come up with. But most of the scenarios they came up with for these commercials just don't match the product they are selling. But apparently they are very popular so they're doing their job. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Crayon colored hair is not at all unheard of where I live, but its popularity wouldn't stop my dad from commenting on it. He's kind of an asshole, though.

• LOL 8

At one point the lead singer is obviously feeling intestinal pain and her clueless band mates are offering her greasy take-out. Not helping!

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

At one point the lead singer is obviously feeling intestinal pain and her clueless band mates are offering her greasy take-out. Not helping!

Maybe they're hoping Miss La-la-la-LAAAAH will get the hint that they're tired of carrying her and take a permanent break so they can put Rula Lenska in her spot! 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, janie jones said:

Crayon colored hair is not at all unheard of where I live, but its popularity wouldn't stop my dad from commenting on it. He's kind of an asshole, though.

I don't know if this is still a thing but when I was in elementary school my classmates were dying their hair with Koolaid. So blue hair isn't weird to me. My dad makes comments like that too. Our yellow lab also hated it too. She always barked like crazy every time she saw someone with blue, orange, etc. hair. I'm not sure if she was just an opinionated dog or thought we were under attack like she thought every Halloween.

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I don't know if this is still a thing but when I was in elementary school my classmates were dying their hair with Koolaid. So blue hair isn't weird to me. My dad makes comments like that too. Our yellow lab also hated it too. She always barked like crazy every time she saw someone with blue, orange, etc. hair. I'm not sure if she was just an opinionated dog or thought we were under attack like she thought every Halloween.

Dogs can't see color. Maybe it was something about the smell?

• Love 3
On 1/21/2021 at 3:12 PM, dleighg said:

I always wondered if she told everyone she has "poopy-butt syndrome" or they all speculate about why she keeps running off somewhere.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I always wondered if she told everyone she has "poopy-butt syndrome" or they all speculate about why she keeps running off somewhere.

"Hey guys, I have mild to moderate Crohn's disease, which is a type of Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome, you know, IBS, maybe you've heard of it.  So that's why I have to skip off to the loo unexpectedly at the most inopportune times.  I swear I'm not ruining the shows because I'm a coke head and need a snort to keep going!"

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

"Hey guys, I have mild to moderate Crohn's disease, which is a type of Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome, you know, IBS, maybe you've heard of it.  So that's why I have to skip off to the loo unexpectedly at the most inopportune times.  I swear I'm not ruining the shows because I'm a coke head and need a snort to keep going!"

Or go review the lyrics to the song I'm singing.. Wait....what lyrics? 😂

Edited by QuinnInND
  • LOL 7
On 1/17/2021 at 5:27 PM, QuinnInND said:
On 1/17/2021 at 1:09 PM, peacheslatour said:

It made me cringe because ouch! splinters!

With that stain, there won't be any.  At least that's the idea. But bare feet are just icky. Ewww. *shudder*

Speaking of 'ewww, icky feet', I absolutely loathe the Huggies commercial where the woman is rocking her baby to sleep and her out-of-reach cell phone goes off on the table next to her where she proceeds to stretch her leg over to turn the phone off with her bare toe.  BLECH.

I think it's one of the Pelaton commercials where the onscreen personal trainer is shouting words of encouragement to keep going, but the one I heard this morning where the PT shouted, "c'mon, I know it hurts, you're almost there."  First off - NO workout should hurt nor should anyone feel as if they have to endure pain to get in shape.  If it hurts, stop!  Terrible choice of words.  "C'mon, I know it's tough, but you can do this" would've been better

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 11

I don't like this car commercial which until yesterday I thought was for the smart watch. Forgot which car it was but here's a description of the commercial. 

There is a woman who asks her watch to start her car, where she reads that she has "plans" with the Petersons (?) and proceeds to buy four expensive steaks. Then the twist in the commercial is the "dinner" was with the kids of the Peterson's. Then those parents just say "thanks for watching them" and take off just leaving their kids outside and not saying hello.  

This commercial annoys me as she is completely self centered as are her friends. Plus it wasn't clear what it was trying to sell.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, blueray said:

I don't like this car commercial which until yesterday I thought was for the smart watch. Forgot which car it was but here's a description of the commercial. 

There is a woman who asks her watch to start her car, where she reads that she has "plans" with the Petersons (?) and proceeds to buy four expensive steaks. Then the twist in the commercial is the "dinner" was with the kids of the Peterson's. Then those parents just say "thanks for watching them" and take off just leaving their kids outside and not saying hello.  

This commercial annoys me as she is completely self centered as are her friends. Plus it wasn't clear what it was trying to sell.

I know the one.  When she orders "four fillets" at the butcher/seafood store her mouth bugs me because she has the forced smile showing all her pearly whites as she speaks.  She seems like a snobby beyotch, possibly named Karen.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

There's a commercial for Southern New Hampshire University that gets on my nerves in such a weird, particular way. It shows vignettes of real people (I think?) at home with their new diplomas and, in one, an old grandma is on a couch with a framed document, presumably shoved into her hands by whomever the graduate is. Grandma seems baffled as fuck until some annoying person (possibly the graduate) steps forward and points at the frame and says just "Southern New Hampshire University!" as if Grandma should have totally known WTF was going on here. I don't know why this gets on my nerves so much, other than it feels like this is some sort of gift-giving occasion and this family thought that just simply knowing that someone got a diploma served as a good enough present for Grandma!

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

There's a commercial for Southern New Hampshire University that gets on my nerves in such a weird, particular way. It shows vignettes of real people (I think?) at home with their new diplomas and, in one, an old grandma is on a couch with a framed document, presumably shoved into her hands by whomever the graduate is. Grandma seems baffled as fuck until some annoying person (possibly the graduate) steps forward and points at the frame and says just "Southern New Hampshire University!" as if Grandma should have totally known WTF was going on here. I don't know why this gets on my nerves so much, other than it feels like this is some sort of gift-giving occasion and this family thought that just simply knowing that someone got a diploma served as a good enough present for Grandma!

There's one with woman who says. "It doesn't matter how old you are. You can still finish" I don't like her, she seems like to type who likes to ask very personal questions and then get miffed if you demur.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

The whole "it doesn't matter how old you are" attitude bugs me too. I do understand what's behind it and i do believe people should what they want to do. I also often lament that I don't have a degree and especially that I didn't go to school for something else, so I get it! But I find that many people who say this, along with stuff like "where there's a will...," don't quite get that, in order for me -- or many people -- to "correct" it, it would turn life as we know it completely upside down at this stage! And then they act like I am being so negative! I am really not, I swear; I just don't want to take out many loans and be starting again at this age and have no time for myself anymore. Saying "it's not worth it" in this scenario is less about being negative than it is about being practical (and it's not like I am completely miserable either; if I was, I probably would find a way).

• Love 12
4 hours ago, blueray said:

Yep - I griped about that one several pages back.  I think it's a Buick ad.  And I was like 'HA!' when the Petersons weren't coming for dinner, but to drop their kids off to play with the woman's kids so they could go out

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The whole "it doesn't matter how old you are" attitude bugs me too. I do understand what's behind it and i do believe people should what they want to do. I also often lament that I don't have a degree and especially that I didn't go to school for something else, so I get it! But I find that many people who say this, along with stuff like "where there's a will...," don't quite get that, in order for me -- or many people -- to "correct" it, it would turn life as we know it completely upside down at this stage! And then they act like I am being so negative! I am really not, I swear; I just don't want to take out many loans and be starting again at this age and have no time for myself anymore. Saying "it's not worth it" in this scenario is less about being negative than it is about being practical (and it's not like I am completely miserable either; if I was, I probably would find a way).

Yeah, and why don't those commercials show 30-/40-/50- something graduates having employers rushing the graduation podiums begging said grads to work for them?

Seriously, I agree that it's not negative to not want to worry about paying off student loans with retirement age looming- especially if the closer one gets to  it, the tougher it is to find any jobs (and that's not even counting our current COVID-afflicted markets).  

• Love 7

My hate these days is mostly aimed at that horrific commercial for Juvederm. You know the one. With the models and that obnoxious “work it” song.

And it’s always played on Bravo during the “Real Housewives” shows, of course. As if their Frozen  Fright Mask faces weren’t enough to convince me to stay away from the fillers, this insipid commercial surely does the trick. 

23 hours ago, blueray said:

To be fair, there’s  not a lot of time for small talk in a 30 second spot. But I agree with your overall sentiment.

On 1/23/2021 at 2:32 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I hate this latest Peloton commercial too.  You're doing it wrong if it hurts, especially alone with no trainer.  I hate the douchebag's douchey smirk which starts off the ad as well.

This commercial drives me nuts. Aren’t we beyond the very outdated (and often dangerous) “no pain, no gain” mentality? Guess not, according to Peleton. “Get a little savage with it.” Ugh, how about NO. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 1/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, configdotsys said:

because when people buy a house, they do start paying attention to the smallest things

Once I bought my condo, "builder grade" doorknobs, even on the closets, were NOT sufficient.  I'm not sure that meant I turned into my parents, but it certainly meant I AM A HOMEOWNER!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Sometimes people get a degree to be able to advance in their current jobs. Online options mean you can keep working and complete classes at the same time. 

Thank you for saying this. People equate online with inferior, fake, no work required, etc. There are real programs online. Anyone that thinks otherwise got shortchanged in the critical thinking piece of their own education.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Thank you for saying this. People equate online with inferior, fake, no work required, etc. There are real programs online. Anyone that thinks otherwise got shortchanged in the critical thinking piece of their own education.

Yeah and someone remarked that when they saw one of these degrees from an applicant they just tossed it as not worth considering the person for a job.

So, it isn't a good thing for someone to want to try to better himself by taking classes online and keep working?

Seems to me like that would show drive and be a good thing.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Yeah and someone remarked that when they saw one of these degrees from an applicant they just tossed it as not worth considering the person for a job.

So, it isn't a good thing for someone to want to try to better himself by taking classes online and keep working?

Seems to me like that would show drive and be a good thing.

I think it's because so many of those are diploma mills. You pay, do basically nothing and get a piece of paper. Which is worthless because you didn't do anything or learn anything to get it. Those places have made actual online schools look bad. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 5

I can't stand the newest Yoplait ad.   I hoped after they changed the script on the previous ones, that they would stop with the over the top thrilled mommy ads with her being so thrilled about her kid's performance.  Now they have a mother being thrilled because her little boy and girl are dancing in the living room.     

• Love 4
On 1/23/2021 at 2:32 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I hate this latest Peloton commercial too.  You're doing it wrong if it hurts, especially alone with no trainer.  I hate the douchebag's douchey smirk which starts off the ad as well.

I hate one where the trainer is saying something like "Come on, Peloton, you can do it!". It sounds like something one would say on a taped exercise to a generic audience  and it sounds stupid. 

1 hour ago, TheWalkinDude said:

Discovery+, your 42 commercials per hour aren’t working on me-in fact, they’re having the opposite effect. I’m pi**ed that shows I was watching are now “streaming exclusively on Discovery+“. 

No way am I going to pay for TLC and Discovery freak shows to see the handful of shows I want.

• Love 19
On 1/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, blueray said:

Her calendar says "dinner with" the Petersons. Who puts "dinner with XX" when what you're doing is babysitting? Also, if you're so forgetful that "dinner with the Petersons" doesn't jog your memory, you need to be more specific anyway.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I still can't get away from Namath and his Smurf suit.   He is an effective speaker, there is no doubt about that, but he needs to put on a different suit.  I do have something positive to say about him.  He is one of the few pitchman who knows how to properly use hand gestures.   He doesn't just stand there like an idiot with his hands at his side.

I guess the experience of pitching pantyhose way back when came in handy for Mr. Namath. 

Still, I have even less use for what he's currently pitching! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 1/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, knuckles491 said:

Hello all.  I just discovered this page, so it may have been mentioned before.  What's with all the people who are dancing in commercials?  People in real life don't dance in their kitchens and living rooms.  At least once I day I am seeing people dance about vitamins, clear skin, life insurance, nutrisystem, you name it.  

On 1/16/2021 at 11:26 AM, peacheslatour said:

"Olay was unbe-un every time" Arrggghhhh! That glottal stop makes me want to bite my own face.

I don't even understand what she is trying to say.

I hate the Paragard ad - everyone is way too perky and I can't stand the bouncy dancing.  Then again, I can't bear musicals, so that probably doesn't help.

On 1/18/2021 at 11:51 AM, janie jones said:

I actually like this commercial fine in general, but it really don't like that she hands the guy a flower. It's too...something. She might as well have given the camera a big cheesy wink when she did it. I also think the shot of her dancing and squishing the IUD lasts too long.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Sadly, I am old enough to remember that back in (small voice 1973). 

For the most part, commercials right now are very annoying and boring.  I just don't think they want to risk offending anyone.

And yet, they do all kinds of things that would be considered offensive back in the day. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Sadly, I am old enough to remember that back in (small voice 1973). 

Although I don’t remember the pantyhose commercial(I have seen it on YouTube), I do recall his ads for Brut cologne and the Butter-Up popcorn popper.

(And I read somewhere that he earned more money from endorsements and commercials than he ever did playing football, which I can believe.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, janie jones said:

Her calendar says "dinner with" the Petersons. Who puts "dinner with XX" when what you're doing is babysitting? Also, if you're so forgetful that "dinner with the Petersons" doesn't jog your memory, you need to be more specific anyway.

I hate that commercial b/c everyone in it is so selfish, but I do give a little Nelson Muntz laugh (ha HA!) because she bought those expensive steaks to impress the Petersons and ending up getting stuck babysitting their kids. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I hate that commercial b/c everyone in it is so selfish, but I do give a little Nelson Muntz laugh (ha HA!) because she bought those expensive steaks to impress the Petersons and ending up getting stuck babysitting their kids. 

TBH, I've never paid enough attention to understand what is going on in that commercial.  but, if the Peterson's asked steak lady to babysit and she agreed, how are the Petersons being selfish?  If Petersons were vague in their invitation how is steak lady being selfish?  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Ugh, I think some character pulls that crap on Criminal Minds. 

I don't recall what commercial it was, but the dude on the commercial used the term "your boy".  No, just no, I hate that with a passion.

Is "your boy" just another way of saying "your friend"? 

That's Ice T. Men of color had the term "boy" thrown at them enough that I would think that's the last thing he'd want to be called.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Ugh, I think some character pulls that crap on Criminal Minds. 

I actually stopped watching that show because I got so sick of him calling her "baby girl."  She didn't seem to mind, but management should have told him to stop calling her that.  Very unprofessional.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I actually stopped watching that show because I got so sick of him calling her "baby girl."  She didn't seem to mind, but management should have told him to stop calling her that.  Very unprofessional.

They did and they both had to take "professional conduct" training. I hated it too. They kept trying to make her the typical quirky pixie dream girl and it was the wrong environment for it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

It is a stupid commercial and it took me a while to find out what they were advertising. It's the car, right?

Anyhow, I think the little girl is so cute and even her "Where's the pizza?" doesn't annoy because it's so hopeful, not demanding. YMMV

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to fix something nice for your guests, but I do think it's funny that the lady went fancy, and the kid wants pizza.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

TBH, I've never paid enough attention to understand what is going on in that commercial.  but, if the Peterson's asked steak lady to babysit and she agreed, how are the Petersons being selfish?  If Petersons were vague in their invitation how is steak lady being selfish?  

From what the husband said, I don't think the Petersons were vague; I think the lady forgot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4