Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I'm tired of the Discovery+ ads - all of the shows that are already on cable, but you pay more to watch them! Which I will never do. Apparently, new Joanna and Chip Gaines shows will be part of the exclusive content. Good! I am happy not to see them again. But then on Food Network today there was an infomercial for Discovery+ and then an hour of "the making" of Joanna's cooking show and then TWO episodes of her cooking show. GO AWAY JOANNA GAINES.

Right there with you!! Go away the whole Discovery+ carp!!

This is beginning to irritate me as much as the Medicare ads...I wouldn't pay them anything either!!!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

We've come a long way from this Discovery Channel ad. Remember when it aired all sort of informative and entertaining shows instead of 24/7 redneck reality shows about bootleggers and Bigfoot hunters?

Yeah, I do, once upon a time it was a worth while/worth watching channel. For my money the whole network has gone down the tubes and I won't pay to watch any of their drivel...

• Love 3

Damn they're pushing Discovery+ hard.  Endless commercials, Guy Fieri on every other about how "out of bounds" it is, an obnoxious logo with counts clock splayed over every show.   Like I'd pay to watch tacky shows glorifying teen parents, mail order brides and bigots. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There is a lot of cruelty in Two and a Half Men.   I don't like seeing people treated like crap even when they are fictional characters.

When I said "I think it's funny" I wasn't talking about 2.5 Men. I was referring to the cheap drug ad the Sheens are in. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I'm tired of the Discovery+ ads - all of the shows that are already on cable, but you pay more to watch them! 

I'm not sure if they're for Discovery+, but I resent the hell out of being overloaded with commercials for crappy shows from the shows that are lumped under the Discovery umbrella, especially on the Science Channel.  Oh yeah, don't even get me started on their lame and lazy slogan: "DVR us". 🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I'm tired of the Discovery+ ads - all of the shows that are already on cable, but you pay more to watch them! Which I will never do. Apparently, new Joanna and Chip Gaines shows will be part of the exclusive content. Good! I am happy not to see them again. But then on Food Network today there was an infomercial for Discovery+ and then an hour of "the making" of Joanna's cooking show and then TWO episodes of her cooking show. GO AWAY JOANNA GAINES.

I agree. I'm also pissed they put Joe Kenda's new show on it. So the only thing I'd want to watch I have to pay to watch it.

• Love 3

Yes, the Discovery+ commercials are pushing very hard.     However, anything Magnolia will be on the separate network, and so far the shows like Property Brothers: Forever Home, that are moving there full time don't interest me.   I suspect that it's as deceptive as many other commercials are, where they promise a lot, but only at the beginning will they have everything they say they will.   I wish Guy Fierri would move all of his shows there, and I wouldn't have to see him again.      

However, running their commercial 24/7 isn't making me want to subscribe, but makes me want to scream.  Guy F. screaming about how wonderful the streaming content will be, isn't going to make me consider even the free trial.  The $4.99 price is the base price, with ads, it's a couple of dollars more for the ad free.   However, everything Magnolia says preview of the Magnolia network, so maybe they're still going to take over DIY channel.   

The commercials for D+ are repeating so often, and the same ones over and over.  Very irritating. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
3 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

I'm not sure if they're for Discovery+, but I resent the hell out of being overloaded with commercials for crappy shows from the shows that are lumped under the Discovery umbrella, especially on the Science Channel. 

I would watch the hell out of a 24/7 “How It’s Made” channel, though.

Are you listening, Discovery Communications?

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I was indifferent to Joanna Gaines until these commercials started airing and now I can't stand her.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I wonder if the $5 fee is for content that is already on cable and there is an additional charge to see the exclusive content??? That makes some sense to me. They have to rope us in first.... Never going to get me!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Gramto6 said:

I wonder if the $5 fee is for content that is already on cable and there is an additional charge to see the exclusive content??? That makes some sense to me.

When I looked into it, the $5 per month is for the streaming service that includes all Discovery, Inc. channels on cable plus the new content that won't be on cable, such as Magnolia Network that the Gainses' are in charge of.

• Useful 3
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

When I looked into it, the $5 per month is for the streaming service that includes all Discovery, Inc. channels on cable plus the new content that won't be on cable, such as Magnolia Network that the Gainses' are in charge of.

I didn't spend much time looking at the site. Not going to subscribe, why waste my time? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I didn't spend much time looking at the site. Not going to subscribe, why waste my time? 

I hear you. I looked into it because of the ads Discovery was running last summer with Chip and Joanna Gaines announcing they were getting their own channel - Magnolia. At the time, the plan was to replace DIY with Magnolia, which saddened me. Then last fall, those ads just disappeared, and I figured something was up. It appears Discovery changed their minds, and decided to come up with the streaming for fee Discovery+. I wanted to make sure Chip and JoJo and Magnolia were safely tucked away on Discovery+ where I wouldn't see them, and they were leaving the DIY cable channel alone.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I hear you. I looked into it because of the ads Discovery was running last summer with Chip and Joanna Gaines announcing they were getting their own channel - Magnolia. At the time, the plan was to replace DIY with Magnolia, which saddened me. Then last fall, those ads just disappeared, and I figured something was up. It appears Discovery changed their minds, and decided to come up with the streaming for fee Discovery+. I wanted to make sure Chip and JoJo and Magnolia were safely tucked away on Discovery+ where I wouldn't see them, and they were leaving the DIY cable channel alone.

I noticed something in the ad tonight. It says "starting at $4.99" so something out there is going to cost more...

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I noticed something in the ad tonight. It says "starting at $4.99" so something out there is going to cost more...

Yes, ads, not content - $4.99 is with ads, $6.99 without ads.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 3
21 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I wonder if the $5 fee is for content that is already on cable and there is an additional charge to see the exclusive content??? That makes some sense to me. They have to rope us in first.... Never going to get me!

It makes sense when you consider that a lot of people don't have or want cable. Sure, the content is out there on cable, but it's inaccessible to you if you don't have cable. 2 of the 3 cable channels I ever watch are going to be on Discovery+ so I'm a prime candidate when my husband and I move out of my parents' house. I mean, I'm not going to sign up because I can live without the content, but I'd be more likely to sign up for Discovery+ than get cable.

Also, I'm glad they've stopped (as far as I've seen) calling it "D+." That's a terrible shortening.

Edited by janie jones
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

It makes sense when you consider that a lot of people don't have or want cable. Sure, the content is out there on cable, but it's in accessible to you if you don't have cable. 2 of the 3 cable channels I ever watch are going to be on Discovery+ so I'm a prime candidate when my husband and I move out of my parents' house. I mean, I'm not going to sign up because I can live without the content, but I'd be more likely to sign up for Discovery+ than get cable.

Also, I'm glad they've stopped (as far as I've seen) calling it "D+." That's a terrible shortening.

I'm gonna give the free trial a spin just so I can watch American Detective with Lt Joe Kenda and see what else is on ID.  I was wondering why they stopped the D+ and now call it Discovery Plus.  Yeah, D+ doesn't look so great!  😏

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Oh Gawd, not only the continuing Medicare ads and the weight loss ads...now also the Tax Preparation ads...just stab me now!!!

Don't forget the debt relief ads. It makes me sad that a lot of people use credit cards to spend money they don't have during the holidays to live up to the pressure of consumerism.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Don't forget the debt relief ads. It makes me sad that a lot of people use credit cards to spend money they don't have during the holidays to live up to the pressure of consumerism.

And bringing up the rear, tax cheats.

• Love 7

First off, let me say I love love LOVE the KWIK TRIP.  The commercial that is airing right now?  About the wife who promised her hubby's parents a home cooked meal?  Hello?  Could it be any more sexist? 

-She is working, apparently full time, boss gives her a bunch of work to do so she can't leave.  WHY THE HECK DOES HUBBY DO NOTHING?  She calls him, he is sitting there with them but no, she has to stop by the KwikTrip for food.  They are going to see her come in with the bags, right?  They are HIS parents, tell him to deal with dinner.   Maybe I am almost 56 and waaaaay over trying to please people (plus my MIL was a home ec teacher, so why try?) but I am surprised at this commercial. 

Having said that, I ate at Kwik Trip last night  - the mac and cheese.

• Love 7

Maybe, since she's living out a 1960s sitcom wife scenario, she can bring in the uncovered dishes and they won't question that she was able to twitch her nose and cook dinner in her car on the drive home?

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • LOL 7
25 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Maybe, since she's living out a 1960s sitcom wife scenario, she can bring in the uncovered dishes and they won't question that she was able to twitch her nose and cook dinner in her car on the drive home?

Perhaps!!!

Another commercial that I must mute? "We have a clogging problem!"  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And bringing up the rear, tax cheats.

I hate those assholes. "So and so company made it to where I paid $200.00 of the $12,000.00 I owed in taxes". Really?? First of all, how the hell do you wind up owing that much?? And second, suck it up and pay up like the rest of us who actually pay our taxes. Hate it, but pay. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I hate those assholes. "So and so company made it to where I paid $200.00 of the $12,000.00 I owed in taxes". Really?? First of all, how the hell do you wind up owing that much?? And second, suck it up and pay up like the rest of us who actually pay our taxes. Hate it, but pay. 

Especially when they're the first to scream bloody murder when the cops, fire department, emt's, etc. don't show up to their emergency instantly after the're called. What the hell do they think taxes are for?

• Love 14
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Maybe the 12,000 includes the penalties. Or they were working under the table so nothing was coming out of their paychecks for years and years.

• Love 3

I don't mind the Martin/Charlie Sheen ads, I don't pay a lot of attention to them, but if Dad wants to help son get his act together, as long as he's not enabling him to relapse, it's fine. I haven't heard how Charlie's doing and it's not really my business. Live and let live and all that.

As for Jennifer Aniston, I'm not really a fan, but I love Aveeno. I am allergic to so many skin products, the more expensive, the more chemicals, the more allergies. Aveeno is one of about 3 I can use. However, I'm so old, I have no idea what a serum is in skin care. Of course, they have it (according to Jennifer). To me a serum is something in medicine. As far as not knowing what it is in skin care, I care even less.

I think the big tax bill they are faced with does come from penalties and interest, that can add up quick. I'll tell you one way a person can get that behind. Many years ago, a friend of mine went 4 years without filing taxes. Her husband had killed himself after barricading himself in their home and the police storming the house. It took her a very long time to get back to any kind of normalcy in her life. She finally faced the taxes when the IRS left a note on her door. I helped her and she ended up getting a huge refund with interest for those years. In her case, it went well, but it could just as easily gone the other way.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I made a mistake on my taxes in 2014 - honest one, I swear, I am NOT a tax cheat.  I got a bill for about $2000 or so in 2017.  What did I do?  Got a part time job to, I don't know......pay it off?   I work full time and went to work in a grocery store on weekends.  I did not show up in an ad bragging "I paid it off for $100!!!  GO ME!!!!"  

On 1/2/2021 at 3:13 PM, cynicat said:

That's probably the case, and I'm on the side that thinks they're funny ads.  However, I see a certain irony in that Martin is showing Charlie how to get cheaper drugs.

I think they are kind of funny, too.  Years ago they did a commercial together where Charlie was waiting in line for something and by the time he got to the clerk it was Martin Sheen standing there.  

• Love 9

The IRS charges significant interest and penalties, which get exponentially worse they longer the debt is outstanding.  They will not waive your tax liability but the penalties and interest can be negotiated in a settlement agreement. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

The IRS charges significant interest and penalties, which get exponentially worse they longer the debt is outstanding.  They will not waive your tax liability but the penalties and interest can be negotiated in a settlement agreement. 

Yep, I was able to talk down some of the penalty fees, but truthfully, it did not occur to me to talk down the actual debt.  I mean, I like my fire department, my police, roads, snow plows in the streets, awesome public school system that I live in......I am good with that.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I love this commercial!  Along with a Ratt problem.  The aunt problem is not quite as funny, but they are clever.

I love the clogging one too. I find it fascinating that they can keep dancing and doing whatever on top of it. 

• Love 8

OK, I don't think I've ever seen the fencing one, though I think I can figure out how it goes.

I can't stand the Poise commercial where Candace has 'Poise in her pants.'  Every time it comes on I think they are going to say, 'poop in her pants.'

Edited by bankerchick
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Ok discovery. Enough of the ads for discovery plus, and the stupid thing in the upper right of the screen incessantly. Annoying as hell. 

So much this.   Every. Damn. Commercial break.  I've seen the Mike Rowe and Joanna Gaines commercial at least a dozen times tonight just watching a couple of shows on Food Network.  I instantly mute whenever they go to commercials (which is frequently)  I think Mike Rowe's supposed to be kind of a jerk, but at least somewhat dilfy eye candy.   I can't stand Joanna's ugly mug so even mute doesn't help. 

Part of why they're airing them so much is because they have shows on that will only be available on pay streaming.   They've made a point that Restaurant Impossible will only air on D+ now.  I hate to tell them, but between their incessant commercials and basically taking away shows they're going to end up driving viewers away.   

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

So much this.   Every. Damn. Commercial break.  I've seen the Mike Rowe and Joanna Gaines commercial at least a dozen times tonight just watching a couple of shows on Food Network.  I instantly mute whenever they go to commercials (which is frequently)  I think Mike Rowe's supposed to be kind of a jerk, but at least somewhat dilfy eye candy.   I can't stand Joanna's ugly mug so even mute doesn't help. 

Part of why they're airing them so much is because they have shows on that will only be available on pay streaming.   They've made a point that Restaurant Impossible will only air on D+ now.  I hate to tell them, but between their incessant commercials and basically taking away shows they're going to end up driving viewers away. 

The one with Joanna saying "box this stuff up so I don't have to cook when I get home" works my nerve. Isn't the set her pretend "home kitchen" i.e. she is already at home? And for her to order her minions who undoubtedly cooked all of the food she pretended she made to box it up for her just burns me up. I actually liked her and Chip when Fixer Upper started but boy, the bloom has been off that rose for a long time.

I'm glad they'll be on Discovery+ and I'm also happy to learn that Robert Irvine will be joining them there. Maybe The Pioneer Woman can hitch up her wagon and roll on over there, too!

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

Maybe The Pioneer Woman can hitch up her wagon and roll on over there, too!

"I'm Ree Drummond. And while Lad and the boys are castrating steers today, I'm whippin' up a bunch a fun freezer food. Later on I'm going to scare someone with a rubber snake."

Back on topic, for some reason the skinny redhead with her own unique sneeze (Achoo!) in the Walgreens ad irks me to high heaven.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

No, Joanna Gaines' kitchen for the show is in an old Grist Mill, that is in Waco, but it's not at her house.   They had a 'preview' episode showing the remodeling of the kitchen, and the rest of the grist mill.  It also showed how they film safely, and the number of people involved in filming each episode.      Supposedly the Magnolia Network will still take over DIY Network, and then the cooking show will move there.   

Mike Rowe not only did Dirty Jobs, and narrates a ton of Discovery and other documentaries, and series, but he's very popular.   He narrates Deadliest Catch (I hope I got that right), and a lot of other series.       His first TV job was a host on QVC, in the early morning hours.   He also was an opera singer, and in a barbershop quartet.    He also wrote a book about some of his adventures, and the unique people he's met over the years.   His mother, Peggy Rowe, became a published author after 80 years of age (About My Mother, fun book, and About Your Father, about her husband).   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

No, Joanna Gaines' kitchen for the show is in an old Grist Mill, that is in Waco, but it's not at her house.   They had a 'preview' episode showing the remodeling of the kitchen, and the rest of the grist mill.  It also showed how they film safely, and the number of people involved in filming each episode.      Supposedly the Magnolia Network will still take over DIY Network, and then the cooking show will move there.   

Mike Rowe not only did Dirty Jobs, and narrates a ton of Discovery and other documentaries, and series, but he's very popular.   He narrates Deadliest Catch (I hope I got that right), and a lot of other series.       

Rowe was originally supposed to be the on-camera host, and he appeared in taped footage as himself during the first season of shooting. As filming of the first season was nearing completion, Discovery greenlighted production on another Rowe project, Dirty Jobs, under the condition that Rowe chose only one show on which to appear on camera. As Rowe relates the story, Discovery had told him that the two shows would be airing back-to-back on the same night, thus, "We can't have you telling us stories about six dead fishermen on camera and making a fart joke with your arm in a cow's ass."[3] Most of the footage Rowe shot during the first season became part of the first season's "Behind the Scenes" episode. After the third season of Deadliest Catch, Rowe began hosting a post-season behind-the-scenes miniseries entitled After the Catch, which is a roundtable discussion featuring the captains relating their experiences filming the previous season's episodes. A season 3 episode of Dirty Jobs (2007-2008) saw Rowe return to Alaska to take part in a job tangentially related to the fishing industry — diesel fuel spill cleanup. Another episode that same season featured Rowe at work on board the F/V Legacy doing trawl fishing and at-sea shellfish and other seafood processing, during which Rowe made numerous references to the crab fishing of Deadliest Catch.

From Wikipedia

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

for some reason the skinny redhead with her own unique sneeze (Achoo!) in the Walgreens ad irks me to high heaven.

Me too! She looks like a scarecrow, and the way she recklessly throws herself around, I keep thinking she's going to break something. Instead of showing her testing her blood sugar-presumably as a T1 diabetic- they should have had her taking Adderall or something for her hyperactivity.

• Love 4